PDA

View Full Version : Should Toronto Go Into Rebuilding Mode?

R_O_W_E
07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Chris Bosh is gone. The East is getting stronger around Toronto while they have some young talent but it wont be good enough to even contend for the Playoffs without Bosh.

The signing of Amir Johnson shows that they're looking to have pieces together in the future. It looks like Bargnani, Johnson, DeRozan, Davis, & Weems are their pieces for the future.

Tradeable Veterans:
Hedo Turkoglu- 4 years remaining
Jose Calderon- 3 years remaining
Jarret Jack- 3 years remaining
Reggie Evans- 1 year remaining
Marcus Banks- 1 year remaining

You gotta think if it makes sense to dump these veterans off to contending teams, taking back expirers/prospects/picks, and just tanking the 2011 season for a player like Harrison Barnes or Brandon Knight.

Jays Claw
07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Of course.

S-Dot
07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes. As you said the East is getting stronger. They didn't make the playoffs with CB4 this year. It's going to be tough to make it without him. They have some good pieces and I think BC will get the job done to rebuild this team.

JordansBulls
07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Isn't it obvious they are.

Raoul Duke
07-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah I don't see how they have a choice. They have some nice young pieces but they don't know what that's going to amount to on the court. Just the uncretainty basically makes it a rebuilding situation unless losing Bosh turns out to be addition by subtraction.

Allstar21
07-07-2010, 03:54 PM
they have no other option

i dont think they can compete and if they do make the playoffs it will be no higher than a #7-8 seed
the lottery is the best place for them next year (they still own their pick rite?)

GSW Hoops
07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, they couldn't make the playoffs with Bosh, so without him they're a 30-win team.

R_O_W_E
07-07-2010, 03:57 PM

i dont think they can compete and if they do make the playoffs it will be no higher than a #7-8 seed
the lottery is the best place for them next year (they still own their pick rite?)
I think so.

Harrison Barnes would be a great franchise player for the Raptors.

Yeah I don't see how they have a choice. They have some nice young pieces but they don't know what that's going to amount to on the court. Just the uncretainty basically makes it a rebuilding situation unless losing Bosh turns out to be addition by subtraction.

Do you think they should trade guys like Hedo, Jack, & Calderon for basically nothing? Just to clear salary in the future.

AI4MVP
07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
wtf do u think theyre doiing right now dude?

Wade_County
07-07-2010, 03:59 PM
i thought they were in rebuilding mode??

MaHaRaJaH
07-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Yea it's assumed.

Mplsman
07-07-2010, 04:00 PM
This is obvious.

Mplsman
07-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Yea it's assumed.

^Probably the greatest sig I have ever seen.

DP06
07-07-2010, 04:06 PM

No, Miami owns their pick for next year, and its unprotected. Thats why I expect Colangelo to try and pry that pick away from the Heat, but I think Riley has the upper hand now and can force Toronto to take back meaningless assets if he's even considering a sign and trade.

SA5195
07-07-2010, 04:06 PM
We are in rebuilding mode...

what54!?
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
they pretty much have too.....Good luck moving turk's contract

Rapsjaysleafs
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
No, Miami owns their pick for next year, and its unprotected. Thats why I expect Colangelo to try and pry that pick away from the Heat, but I think Riley has the upper hand now and can force Toronto to take back meaningless assets if he's even considering a sign and trade.

It is lottery protected until 2015.

MaHaRaJaH
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
^Probably the greatest sig I have ever seen.

Lol thanks

DP06
07-07-2010, 04:11 PM
It is lottery protected until 2015.

Really?? I thought it was unprotected

Heater4life
07-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Really?? I thought it was unprotected

Nope its protected.

SouljahPhil...
07-07-2010, 04:12 PM
why don't they include turk or calderon in a sign and trade with the heat? miami needs a pg and sf...

marvILLous
07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
lol only way miami gets our pick is if we make the playoffs.. if we don't make the playoffs until 2015 then miami gets our pick no matter what

Kyle916
07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
:laugh2:

SANDBURG23
07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
I though they have been rebuilding for years.

thescore53
07-07-2010, 04:18 PM
we will suprise some people... the young guns will prevail and bargs will show the league whats up

SA5195
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
they pretty much have too.....Good luck moving turk's contract

I don't think we're gonna move him. Now that Bosh is gone, Turk can actually distribute the ball more since we have a bunch of young athlethic guys that can't create for themselves, so that's where Hedo comes in.

And we would lose too much talent in one offseason, if Hedo were to be dealt.

JNA17
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13166378&postcount=10

I think Bosh stays.

If he leaves, I will suck each and every single poster on this site.

And you can quote me on that.

Raps08-09 Champ......time to pay up!!! :D

Focused1
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Aren't They Already...........

BkOriginalOne
07-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Do they have a choice?
No body on their roster is really untouchable.

Sly Guy
07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
we were in rebuilding mode from draft day. Com'on, we went out and got 2 bigs, what does that say to you?

heattiltheend94
07-07-2010, 04:26 PM
None of their vets, myb besides Calderon, are movable

B2theRY
07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
people always knocking Toronto teams ;)

yes it sucks to lose bosh but they didnt win crap with him.. so maybe its time to try a new player as the go-to- guy!

it's bargnani's year to step up

R_O_W_E
07-07-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13166378&postcount=10

Raps08-09 Champ......time to pay up!!! :D

Its not gay to me. I'll be first.

nearyG
07-07-2010, 04:35 PM
this subject really worries me, I am from Toronto and am a Raptors fan and I agree that now is definately a time to rebuild. For some reason, I think BC is a little coo-coo and thinks they can contend if he adds a piece or two. I really hope that's not the case. At one point this off-season, we were sure Hedo was a goner. Now, not so much. Every time Colangelo is in front of a camera, you get the sense he actually believes that a team with Andrea Bargnani as the #1 option can compete in the East. Im worried and hope like every other educated fan that we can get rid of the vets and get on with our lives...

gwrighter
07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
It will take time for all the teams with mega cap space to get accustomed to their new respective teammates. The raptors have the main core intact excluding bosh. Look for MIA, NYK, CHI, MIA to have a rocky start as they will have completely new rosters. This uncertainty will hopefully give other teams time to gain valuable wins on these teams. The remaining raptor players got time last year to gain experience on the court which will hopefully translate into a better performance come next season. My prediction is that toronto will be in between 35-42 wins next season. you guys can quote me on this.

smith&wesson
07-07-2010, 04:40 PM
theyre already in rebuild mode.

sep11ie
07-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Yea, but it'll be hard. They do have some quality young players, but many bad contracts to move that they may have to be included wih in order to trade. It will be a rough couple of years for them.

td0tsfinest
07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
The team's future is at limbo. We do have some good young pieces in Derozan, Davis and Bargnani but as the roster stands right now, we're not a playoff team.

SA5195
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
The team's future is at limbo. We do have some good young pieces in Derozan, Davis and Bargnani but as the roster stands right now, we're not a playoff team.

I don't think we'll be able to win 20-30 games, with the current roster. Alot has to be done.

Sly Guy
07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't think we'll be able to win 20-30 games, with the current roster. Alot has to be done.

specifically:
rebounding and defense, decide who handles the ball and when, who gets the ball in crunch time, what style of basketball are they gonna play.

R_O_W_E
07-07-2010, 04:47 PM
It will take time for all the teams with mega cap space to get accustomed to their new respective teammates. The raptors have the main core intact excluding bosh. Look for MIA, NYK, CHI, MIA to have a rocky start as they will have completely new rosters. This uncertainty will hopefully give other teams time to gain valuable wins on these teams. The remaining raptor players got time last year to gain experience on the court which will hopefully translate into a better performance come next season. My prediction is that toronto will be in between 35-42 wins next season. you guys can quote me on this.

You've been quoted.

What will you do if you're wrong?

td0tsfinest
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
specifically:
rebounding and defense, decide who handles the ball and when, who gets the ball in crunch time, what style of basketball are they gonna play.

you can even add offense. A lot is going to be depended on Derozan and Bargnani to increase their scoring load. If Hedo does stay, he's going to be looked to be a leader.

Defense and Rebounding have always been an issue but with Bosh gone now, we have a huge hole to fill up.

JNA17
07-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Its not gay to me. I'll be first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G9ta7AHsIU

"ain't nothing gay abut getting your dick sucked" :laugh:

Sly Guy
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
you can even add offense. A lot is going to be depended on Derozan and Bargnani to increase their scoring load. If Hedo does stay, he's going to be looked to be a leader.

Defense and Rebounding have always been an issue but with Bosh gone now, we have a huge hole to fill up.

I didn't add offense to that list because, well, it'd be like saying : we need a new team altogether. It's the one area of least concern.

gwrighter
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
You've been quoted.

What will you do if you're wrong?

il put that i was wrong in my sig?

Gibby
07-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Yes raps are rebuild mode, if bc doesnt do that he is an idiot. He should try to trade Calderon, and Hedo (if possible). I hope the raps get a top pick in 2011 and find a franchise player.

uws
07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
yes. its inevitable

thekmp211
07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
"go into"?

they had nothing to unbuild. even if they somehow kept bosh they were far from being a playoff team.

edit: but to expand i dont think bargnani is anything more than a third best player on a good team. what is he going to do now that bosh isn't sucking up double teams down low? i like calderon but hes overpaid. turkoglu is just overrated. jarett jack is nice uh not quite a building block. weems seems like hes going to be better than derozan and i think we would agree thats not a great thing.

they will probably look to acquire assets with calderon/jack, turkey man and reggie evans. they have invested in bargnani and would only look dumber if they cut the chord on that, as well. unless they really tank i'd say he sticks around. not promising.

say what you will about bosh, i hated his conduct through this whole thing, but he made the right choice in leaving. no need to be a worse kg.

Raoul Duke
07-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Do you think they should trade guys like Hedo, Jack, & Calderon for basically nothing? Just to clear salary in the future.

I don't know if gutting their roster is a good idea, but I'm sure Toronto's front office would like to at least move Turk. When you get right down to it, until they're 20 games or so into next season and they see what they have, they don't really have anyone they can seriously build around.

ldc62
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I hate to say this.... but we need to trade for Ricky Rubio. I've been a hater since he got drafted, but he fits the profile of players that BC wants.

nalrah01
07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Unless they can pull off a S&T of Bosh for Wade, then yes, continue rebuilding.

FrenchSunsFan
07-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Should Toronto Go Into Rebuilding Mode?

Not rebuilding , building cause they haved never built nothing.

B-Ray
07-07-2010, 06:23 PM

oh snap

rapswin98
07-07-2010, 06:50 PM
yes. The rebuilding phase should have started a long time ago.

ldc62
07-07-2010, 07:03 PM

very witty... but maybe you should worry more about your suns.

ldc62
07-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Yes raps are rebuild mode, if bc doesnt do that he is an idiot. He should try to trade Calderon, and Hedo (if possible). I hope the raps get a top pick in 2011 and find a franchise player.

BC isn't an idiot. I'm sure he knows what to do.

LTS
07-07-2010, 07:09 PM
From what I've heard there shopping Hedo so yes they are rebuilding but no franchise players seems to want to stay there so....

rhino17
07-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Do they have an option?

ldc62
07-07-2010, 07:17 PM
From what I've heard there shopping Hedo so yes they are rebuilding but no franchise players seems to want to stay there so....

They stay for about 7 years... no progress so they move on.

ElFuturoDeESPN
07-07-2010, 07:17 PM

:laugh: :facepalm:

After grossly overpaying him last season I find that VERY unlikely, doesn't he still have three or four years left? Should certainly be in rebuild mode, if they aren't already. Derozan and Bargnani are nice pieces, of course, but they have A LOT of work to do before contending in the East. The loss of Bosh hurts quite a bit, I can imagine, but that should go without saying.

Gibby
07-07-2010, 07:29 PM

ouch man that does hurt. Our time will come. we have good fanbase, owners have said they would over the lux tax at the right time. BC screwed up once but i dont think he will make the same mistakes again. But first off we need a franchise player, hopefully the draft helps us out in the coming years.

dont be a dick, how would you feel if it was your team. with Amare, an aging Nash & Hill, and Cost cutting owner, you have plently to worry about.

TEXASTITAN
07-07-2010, 07:30 PM
If you can't make the playoffs in the east with bosh and then you lose him it's more than obvious they have to rebuild.

Gibby
07-07-2010, 07:35 PM
:laugh: :facepalm:

After grossly overpaying him last season I find that VERY unlikely, doesn't he still have three or four years left? Should certainly be in rebuild mode, if they aren't already. Derozan and Bargnani are nice pieces, of course, but they have A LOT of work to do before contending in the East. The loss of Bosh hurts quite a bit, I can imagine, but that should go without saying.

Hedo has 4 year (including a player option for 2013/14). He is not tradeable atleast for another couple years. I agree we have alot of work to do. i dont think Bosh leaving is all that bad. we need to rebuild and Bosh resigning would only have delayed that process. Even with Bosh we would be at best a playoff, near the luxury tax and not much in the way of improvement.

TEXASTITAN
07-07-2010, 07:39 PM
And to the guy who said BC won't make another mistake again he already did by not trading bosh when it was clear he wasn't coming back. Now they lose him for nothing thats the sad part you lose your star player for nothing when you could have traded him at the deadline and stocked up on picks.

thecro88
07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Absolutely,

Dismantle this team and rebuild. Hope you can get lucky like OKC and get two studs. Pray Bargnani continues to grow!

Future
Solomon Alabi
Andrea Bargnani
Ed Davis
DeMar DeRozan

Work from there!

Gibby
07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
And to the guy who said BC won't make another mistake again he already did by not trading bosh when it was clear he wasn't coming back. Now they lose him for nothing thats the sad part you lose your star player for nothing when you could have traded him at the deadline and stocked up on picks.

Raptors were playing well at the dealine, it would have sent the wrong message to trade Bosh then. If they raps didnt like the players they were getting back this offseason then it was the right move to let him walk.

Mochalman
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
aren't they already going into rebuilding mode?

Catfish1314
07-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah but I'm sure they already are. They have the foundation of a serviceable frontcourt with Bargnani and Davis. Other than that, I don't know what to make of their team. Their point guards aren't old but they've peaked and I wasn't really impressed by DeRozan last year. Granted not everyone is spectacular in their first season.

DenButsu
07-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Do the Raps really have any other choice but to go into rebuilding mode?

AntwanN21
07-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Breaking News: Raptors are rebuilding

spreadeagle
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Breaking News: Raptors are rebuilding

Am I the only one who thinks B.C doesnt have a rebuild in him and will go for some overpriced talent that other teams are looking to shed...He doesnt seem to be the kind of guy who will sit back and loose for a few years,he will make some deals to try to make this a playoff team...book it

Nexus
07-07-2010, 08:53 PM
It's pretty clear we should be going into rebuilding mode.

However, I'm not so sure Bryan Colangelo knows the meaning of rebuild. I still believe he'll make attempts to get us back to the playoffs. Whether they'll be successful is a much different question.

greg_ory_2005
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Raps are already in rebuild mode lol.

Draco
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM

BC really screwed the pooch with that one.. almost like the Cavs acquiring Jamison helped to facilitate the Bulls' trading Hinrich.

AntwanN21
07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Am I the only one who thinks B.C doesnt have a rebuild in him and will go for some overpriced talent that other teams are looking to shed...He doesnt seem to be the kind of guy who will sit back and loose for a few years,he will make some deals to try to make this a playoff team...book it

no im pretty sure we are all scared of that. I think minus the Turk deal, last year was the start of what the rebuild should of looked like. Looking back, I feel if we traded Bosh and not signed Turk, we would be in a much much better position now. Can anyone say John Wall?

ink
07-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Of course.

Isn't it obvious they are.

These.

FarOutIos
07-07-2010, 09:18 PM
No. I think they should make add a couple of pieces to make them into contenders. Maybe add Mike Miller and Tyrus Thomas, and they could easily be in the finals.

IndiansFan337
07-07-2010, 09:49 PM
They need to, because that's the only way that they're going to get a star. They really need to hope that DeRozan develops into a good player too. But it's going to be tough for them to either move or wait out the length of the long contracts of mediocre players like Calderon, Turkoglu, Bargnani, & now Johnson.

Sly Guy
07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
BC really screwed the pooch with that one.. almost like the Cavs acquiring Jamison helped to facilitate the Bulls' trading Hinrich.

not really. It's protected. And I think it's very clear we aren't a playoff team right now.

midwestmadman
07-07-2010, 10:06 PM
When weren't they rebuilding?

ldc62
07-07-2010, 10:09 PM
If Derozan can develop into a Iggy type player and Bargnani plays consistent. Then we aren't too far off from making the playoffs again.

bandaid-prize
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=R_O_W_E;13990920]Chris Bosh is gone. The East is getting stronger around Toronto while they have some young talent but it wont be good enough to even contend for the Playoffs without Bosh.

They couldn't crack the bottom 4 playoff spots for ANOTHER year.

Rebuild?

One playoff series win in 15 years. 11 playoff wins in total.

How about start to build one team that we can later think we can try to rebuild?

SA5195
07-07-2010, 10:26 PM
We're seriously ****ed if we don't get a S&T. I believe we'll also lose the MLE if we don't get something in return for Bosh too.

Glenfidish
07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
If Derozan can develop into a Iggy type player and Bargnani plays consistent. Then we aren't too far off from making the playoffs again.

i think derozan will be way better then iggy.. So call me crazy but i think he tears it uo this year and starts looking more like kobe part 2..

Ray_R
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Weren't they.

koreancabbage
07-07-2010, 11:09 PM
this is rhetorical, right?

TEXASTITAN
07-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Raptors were playing well at the dealine, it would have sent the wrong message to trade Bosh then. If they raps didnt like the players they were getting back this offseason then it was the right move to let him walk.

They may have made the playoffs but even still they wouldnt have made it past the first round. And seeing as bosh wasn't going to re sign the indications were already there they should have tried to trade him wrong message or not you have to play to win and look to the future.

What?
07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes

FlakeyFool
07-08-2010, 12:40 AM
i think derozan will be way better then iggy.. So call me crazy but i think he tears it uo this year and starts looking more like kobe part 2..

just no.

dodie53
07-08-2010, 12:43 AM
will there be takers for hedo and jose?

dodie53
07-08-2010, 12:43 AM

crazy!
hehe

OA SLAY
07-08-2010, 01:28 AM
I think u should limited to one thread a day!

The Raven
07-08-2010, 05:03 AM
They have some pretty terrible contracts on that team. Anways yeah i think thats their only option because they arent going to win anything with how stacked the East is now so why not start over and work your way up