PDA

View Full Version : Cardona Signed

fatkev78
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Per @iGranadillo, the Blue Jays and Venezuelan RHP Adonis Cardona have made it official. He'll receive $2.8MM.

http://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/17950170713

nstojic
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
:dance: keep'em comin' AA

BlueJayCarter
07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Excellent job A.A. A.A has done so much in his first year as GM to better Toronto for the future. I bet J.P is kicking himself at his ESPN job saying, I wish I was as smart as "A.A" when I was GM.

The_905
07-07-2010, 12:36 PM
^ Still talking about JP? Get over it already..

Big Hurt
07-07-2010, 12:36 PM
17 years old as of July 2nd.
lets just say it will be minimum 2014 before we see this kid with the Jays.

bomber0104
07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
17 years old as of July 2nd.
lets just say it will be minimum 2014 before we see this kid with the Jays.

well... lets hope we see him not matter when

bomber0104
07-07-2010, 12:41 PM
That 2.8 could be the highest bonus handed out to any FA this year. At least top 5

ChongInc.
07-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Any scouting reports on this kid yet?

blujaysrock
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Adonis Cardona was the most sought Venezuelan prospect among the new values give eligible for the professional leap from this month. It was not until July 4, when he signed with the Toronto Blue Jays a contract that includes a bonus of $ 2.8 million, the highest figure has been paid by a recruit in the history of Venezuela, including Miguel Cabrera, Jesus Montero and Yorman Rodriguez, who since 2008 was the owner of the trademark to the South American nation.

A small Canadian embassy team traveled to Venezuela to seal the contract with Clarke, a boy who pulls the line about 91 miles per hour, with peaks of 93.

Hours before the fireworks light up the night U.S. from coast to coast, young representatives signed the agreement and returned quietly to the north.

The representative of the Canadian team in the country declined to comment on the news, which was confirmed by industry sources in the country.

"I signed up, confirmed Gavidia ESPNdeportes.com Charles himself, who was the representative Cardona against the Blue Jays. "We hope to be in the record, although a progressive bonus. Now turn to the hands of Toronto. Soon travel to the north, although I have yet to date."

The pitcher with friends and family held the evening of July 6, in the town of Chuspa, a quiet fishing village and tourist resort in the Caribbean coast near La Sabana.

"I'm very happy," he told ESPNdeportes.com. "I am happy to belong to Toronto. Chose its offer because they try very well to the players, as a family. They were very attentive to us."

Yorman Rodriguez received $ 2.5 million in 2008, in accord with the Cincinnati Reds. Other Venezuelans have occupied the headlines for the size of its bonds, as Miguel Cabrera and Jesus Montero, who once received 1.6 million.

Venezuela has caught four seven-figure incentives since the July 2 opened the season of international firms in the big tent.

Last week, third baseman Nunez Renato settled for $ 2.2 million with the Oakland Athletics, the gardener agreed Vasquez Danry 1.5 million with the Detroit Tigers and shortstop Humberto Arteaga, initialed by 1.1 million to Kansas City Royals.

Cardona surpassed all his countrymen, but believes that the sudden attention they receive in future will not become an obstacle or a distraction.

"He does not strike much of what the press says, I have no pressure," said the right. "I have not you afraid of anything. My best pitch is the line and have always had the confidence to use it, since childhood."

Oscar Alvarado, a scout for the Houston Astros in Venezuela, was one of many scouts fell captivated by the enormous potential of Cardona, who throws a 12-6 curve and has a very good change of speed, according to reports.

What most struck Alvarado, however, was something almost intangible: the stamp of the pitcher on the mound, the self-confidence that radiates when he has the ball in his hand.

"That is something that is not taught," said the coach. "Either you have it or you do not."

Cardona has it. And who has to learn. Son of a cat, as it is, is determined to catch mice in the majors as soon as possible.

"I think I can get to the big leagues in three years, three and a half, four," he said. "As Felix Hernandez."

Hernandez jumped into the big tent with 19 years of age, less than four years after signing with the Seattle Mariners, and has since become one of the key figures among the shooters in the country where also born Johan Santana, Freddy Garcia.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1056024&s=bei&type=column

Good article on him, translated though so a little choppy.

Pride
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Aside from Luis Heredia(who we're also going after) and Peguero, this is likely the next highest bonus of this years class. Glad to see us invest in international FAs again.

BlueJayCarter
07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
The kid definately has confidence. Wants to be up with the big team in three to four. I say, good luck. I hope everyone goes well for Cardona and he succeeds in the minors quickly and becomes an Ace for the Blue Jays like King Felix in Seattle.

We might have King Adonis soon.

idrinkpepsi
07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Im so glad we signed this kid while he is so young, good job AA.

:clap:

nstojic
07-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Good article on him, translated though so a little choppy.

hahah a little? haahah good find

Nofear
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
17 and 93. Two of my favorite numbers next to 20 and 98

Think about when this guys arm/body fully develop.

Good job AA, we can never have too many high potential specs.

North Yorker
07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Love it.

BlueJayFanDan
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
From what I have heard about this, this will be a move that pays off big time a few years down the road. This kid is supposed to be a beast of a pitcher and he is not fully developed yet. AWESOME!!!!!!

StealingSigns
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Phew!

I was starting to get worried there.

B2theRY
07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
is he really 17 ;)

nithanyo
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I thought it was carmona.... off by one letter. Got my hopes up too

....cant exited bout prospects tyll they make it to the bigs

Gibby
07-07-2010, 05:06 PM
i like this moves but want to see some positional players signed. last couple of years the draft has been pitcher oriented.

H-MYK
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Way to go, AA. :clap:

StayOnBoard
07-08-2010, 03:34 PM
As others have said - excellent and AA is building the Jays the right way.

I love the way he's handling this team.... in a few years we'll be back into contention (2012 at the earliest IMHO)

Still - good work AA - keep up these type of low risk - high upside signings and Im sure we'll strike gold on a few! :clap:

1hardcore
07-08-2010, 04:23 PM

good article on him, translated though so a little choppy.

holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ****en like it mother ****er :d

jaysfan4ever
07-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I was wondering why AA didn't spend more money on the draft. But it seems like we had a good draft, and we still have a bunch of money left over to sign top international free agents. Well done AA!