PDA

View Full Version : No news on the Rumor of a sign and trade with Clippers?

Lakeshow86
07-07-2010, 11:45 AM
There was a rumor right after Blake agreed to a contract with Lakers that the Lakers are going to try to get a sign and trade with Clippers before he signs the paperwork. A deal that would involve Sasha and/ or Luke for Blake. I hope they do. This would allow Lakers to keep the MLE. They then could get both Bell and Mike Miller along with Blake

Lakerfrk
07-07-2010, 11:53 AM
what rumor? I think that was just a PSD idea....

The Raven
07-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I think someone just made that up as an idea. Nothing more then that though

gr824
07-07-2010, 12:19 PM
There was a rumor right after Blake agreed to a contract with Lakers that the Lakers are going to try to get a sign and trade with Clippers before he signs the paperwork. A deal that would involve Sasha and/ or Luke for Blake. I hope they do. This would allow Lakers to keep the MLE. They then could get both Bell and Mike Miller along with Blake

If this is something the Lakers are considering, then I doubt we will hear more about it before tomorrow, the day when FAs [ like Blake ] can start signing their respective contracts. If Blake puts pen to paper right away, then you have to figure the Lakers did not want to go the S & T route, unless, of course, the team announces such a trade at the time of the signing ...

This S & T approach is an option for the Lakers, but it is not one that Kupchak particularly likes. He had an ideal circumstance last season where he could have utilized the S & T tool -- the Lakers wanted Artest and Houston wanted Ariza -- but he chose instead to just eschew the possibility ...

Why ? Well, evidently his feeling was that he would be putting a 'done deal' back onto the table amongst multiple parties for what could degenerate down into contentious and/or prolonged negotiations and not necessarily accomplish all that much no matter how it resolved itself. Yes ... it would have been nice to get the MLE 'back' then, but not if it wound up coming back by having Artest grow impatient with the process and renege on his commitment ...

This year, there are different, perhaps less volatile, personalities involved in the Blake situation [ no Artest, no David Lee, etc. ], but not all the 'players' this time around are that stable and 'trustworthy' either [ the Clippers ? ]. Maybe the Lakers can work something out ... though perhaps they will not even try ...

Rocco007
07-07-2010, 12:25 PM
July 2, 2010 - 11:25 PM ET
Point guard Steve Blake, who played for the Clippers last year, has agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal with the Lakers.

This probably ends the Lakers' discussions about Mike Miller, although there's a slim chance he could come over in a sign-and-trade from the Wizards. As it stands, Blake was a top point guard in this free agent class, so not only did the Lakers get him to help replace Jordan Farmar, they kept another team from signing him. And our guess is Lakers fans couldn't be happier about replacing Farmar with Blake.

Source: David Aldridge on Twitter
-------------------------------------
Point guard Steve Blake agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal with the Lakers, insurance in case free agent Derek Fisher leaves, a person with knowledge of the agreement said. The Blake signing probably takes the Lakers out of th running for sharpshooter Mike Miller, but not entirely, the source said. When deals become official July 8, the Lakers would have the option to work out a sign-and-trade with the Clippers for Blake and still give their mid-level exception to Miller. That scenario, however, appears unlikely. Miller also has attracted significant interest from the Knicks and several other teams.
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/22947913

numba1CHANGsta
07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
so only way we can get Miller is if he S&T with the Wizards for Sasha? sounds like a pipe dream :/

nanablvd
07-07-2010, 02:04 PM
THe Clippers dont want to add Sasha's payroll despite it's an expiring contract. The Clippers would rather spend the MLE on Mike Miller themselves, why should they help out their rival?

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2010, 02:49 PM
THe Clippers dont want to add Sasha's payroll despite it's an expiring contract. The Clippers would rather spend the MLE on Mike Miller themselves, why should they help out their rival?

The Clippers are under the cap and don't have an MLE this year.

BigGuy951
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Wouldn't this be announced tomorrow if there were any truth behind it?

gr824
07-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't this be announced tomorrow if there were any truth behind it?

Yes, unless the deal is still being negotiated ... If it is, then Blake will NOT sign immediately and the Lakers will stay quiet ...

If Blake signs right away tomorrow, then that means the whole S & T thing is dead, unless, of course, the Lakers announce at the time of the signing that a swap of some sort has occurred ... I will not hold my breath ...

BigGuy951
07-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Wooo i was right for once! haha. And yeah, i hope it does happen though. We need as much help as we could get to 3-peat because i have a feeling this year will be harder..

truplayer199
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
This is clearly not worthy of having its own thread.

nanablvd
07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
The Clippers are under the cap and don't have an MLE this year.

My bad, thanks for pointing this out. I didnt pay too much attention to the Clippers cuz i never think they'll get any of the big names when I look at this current free agency. So, with the Clippers under the cap, spending $4million on Sasha is still too much of a luxury, when there're so many free agents of higher caliber havent gotten a team yet.