PDA

View Full Version : Wells taking part in HR Derby.

torontosports10
07-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Epic 2nd half fall on the way.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100706&content_id=11987902&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The first six sluggers are ready to swing in the State Farm Home Run Derby.

Four American League All-Stars -- Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera, Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano, Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz and Blue Jays outfielder Vernon Wells -- are the first to represent their league for a crack at the title, which will be part of Gatorade All-Star Workout Day on Monday -- the day before Tuesday's All-Star Game at Angel Stadium.

On the National League side, the first four AL contestants will be joined by Brewers outfielder Corey Hart and Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday, with more participants from both leagues to be announced once they are confirmed.

Of these six players, several have previous Derby experience. Ortiz participated in the Derby each year from 2004-06 and Cabrera took part in the '06 event at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. Holliday competed in the '07 Derby at AT&T Park in San Francisco. Cano, Hart and Wells will be making their Derby debuts.

The_905
07-07-2010, 12:33 PM
This is terrible news.

Nofear
07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Back back back back backkkkk to last years form. HR contest is a jinx right Rios?

B2theRY
07-07-2010, 04:24 PM
nice, maybe he will win and we can trade him :)

carson005
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
The whole HR derby ruins a player is easily debunked just by looking at stats...

Nofear
07-07-2010, 04:34 PM
^
I don't think so. Players that clearly shouldn't be in a HR contest a known to let it effect their swing.

The HR derby isn't going to matter to someone like Howard but its does hurt players like Rios who shouldn't ever be swinging for the fence

nithanyo
07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Its not gonna affect vernon much i think. Vernon has really fast bat speed and is a pull hitter. Hitters that get affected by altering their swing for the HR derby are batters who go the other way alot.

Gibby
07-07-2010, 05:01 PM
i dont think its a jinx, its only happened to a handfull of players. but i would have prefered Bautista instead of Wells in the derby because i think Bautista's swing is better suited.

B2theRY
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
1st pitch vernon will be done in 10 pitches :)

wont ruin his swing.

B2theRY
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
cano dropped out maybe Jose B will join.

H-MYK
07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't understand how the HR derby could screw a player over.

carson005
07-07-2010, 08:05 PM
^
I don't think so. Players that clearly shouldn't be in a HR contest a known to let it effect their swing.

The HR derby isn't going to matter to someone like Howard but its does hurt players like Rios who shouldn't ever be swinging for the fence

Well just a quick google search shows that Matt Holliday(not really a power hitter) actually increased his HR's after the derby in 07 while still hitting for a redic average.

Nofear
07-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Well just a quick google search shows that Matt Holliday(not really a power hitter) actually increased his HR's after the derby in 07 while still hitting for a redic average.

So?

I'm sure a quick search would also show a player who's HR totals dropped afterwards as well as killing thier average.

I'm not saying every single guy sucks afterwards, I'm saying sometimes players alter their swing or think they're power hitters afterwards. Look at Rios, more of contact guy that had a nice smooth swing and he turned into a free swinger that swung from his *** every single pitch..

Someone mention Wells as being more of a quick bat that pulls the ball so he should be fine. I would agree with this as well as Bautista being fine also because he swings for the fence now.

The HR derby should be for one or two guys that hit bombs but none of them want to play in it. Thus we get left with middling HR hitters that tend to swing from their *** and it carries over when they resume there normal games.

bomber0104
07-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Wells is already down to .270 so the fall has already started

2009mvp
07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I hate the whole argument about the HRD killing a guy's swing. If you've ever sat down to watch BP in any big league park you'll quickly realize why that's rarely, ever the case. I'm not saying it's never happened, not saying it won't happen again, but taking 30 something swings in the derby shouldn't have any effect on the rest of the season.

So?

I'm sure a quick search would also show a player who's HR totals dropped afterwards as well as killing thier average.

I'm not saying every single guy sucks afterwards, I'm saying sometimes players alter their swing or think they're power hitters afterwards. Look at Rios, more of contact guy that had a nice smooth swing and he turned into a free swinger that swung from his *** every single pitch..

Someone mention Wells as being more of a quick bat that pulls the ball so he should be fine. I would agree with this as well as Bautista being fine also because he swings for the fence now.

The HR derby should be for one or two guys that hit bombs but none of them want to play in it. Thus we get left with middling HR hitters that tend to swing from their *** and it carries over when they resume there normal games.

Fun facts:

Alex Rios' OPS by month (2007)

Apr: .761
May: 1.019
June: .806
July: .973
August: .901
Sept/Oct: .664

A 'meh' month to start the season, a fantastic 4 month stretch (including roughly a month and a half post-ASB) and a poor finish, no doubt thanks in large part to a .273 BABIP despite relatively similar batted ball profiles. After the ASB you know what changed? The home runs dried up (did anyone expect him to keep hitting homers at that pace?) because he hit less fly balls, not more and your post would imply.

nithanyo
07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Wells is already down to .270 so the fall has already started

Your the most negative person on this forum. Wells is clearly the teams best hitter and has the second highest BA of this teams starters.
Be happy for the man. He deserved to go to the allstar game and its up to him to go to the HR derby. Not every batter who goes to the HR derby gets their power zapped from their bats. And even then does anyone realize that its the second half of the season, and when your in a marathon baseball season of 162 games your going to run out of gas sooner or later

Nofear
07-08-2010, 08:00 AM
I hate the whole argument about the HRD killing a guy's swing. If you've ever sat down to watch BP in any big league park you'll quickly realize why that's rarely, ever the case. I'm not saying it's never happened, not saying it won't happen again, but taking 30 something swings in the derby shouldn't have any effect on the rest of the season.

Fun facts:

Alex Rios' OPS by month (2007)

Apr: .761
May: 1.019
June: .806
July: .973
August: .901
Sept/Oct: .664

A 'meh' month to start the season, a fantastic 4 month stretch (including roughly a month and a half post-ASB) and a poor finish, no doubt thanks in large part to a .273 BABIP despite relatively similar batted ball profiles. After the ASB you know what changed? The home runs dried up (did anyone expect him to keep hitting homers at that pace?) because he hit less fly balls, not more and your post would imply.

You say 30 swings shouldn't effect anyone and you're right but it sometimes does. Sometimes, people let it go to thier head.

Again, I'm not saying it happens to every single person but it does happen on occasion. I do however think theres some reason why all the big sluggers tend to skip the HR contest and it ends up being guys like Wells taking part when there are clearly better HR hitters.

So why is it that the real HR hitters such as Howard, Pujols, etc... always tend to sit out?

Like I said, it doesn't happen to everyone but I believe there is some merit to it because its been discuss for years.

ByShine
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Your the most negative person on this forum. Wells is clearly the teams best hitter and has the second highest BA of this teams starters.
Be happy for the man. He deserved to go to the allstar game and its up to him to go to the HR derby. Not every batter who goes to the HR derby gets their power zapped from their bats. And even then does anyone realize that its the second half of the season, and when your in a marathon baseball season of 162 games your going to run out of gas sooner or later

LOL this made me laugh but what he said IS true. To be honest if vernon wells is the best player on any team, that means the team is not that good.
not saying toronto is bad, but yea..

I'd have to admit though, he is the best player in toronto and is having a spectacular season even with his current drop of batting average.

bomber0104
07-08-2010, 08:38 PM

I think you have to be when you have a losing team. Read my posts in the minors thread and they are usually positive.

when .274 is the 2nd highest BA on the team, its more indicative of the team's struggles to hit the ball than it is of a player's ability

donatolla
07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Remember when the HR contest was entertaining? The last three years have not been good...heck, the last one's I remember really enjoying were in Jr's hey days.