PDA

View Full Version : Could Emeka Okafor be the Perkins for LeBron and Amare in New York?

Boston Faithful
07-07-2010, 09:17 AM
If LeBron signed with New York, they'd need to improve their defense.

With LeBron already being a very good defensive player and Toney Douglas a pretty good defensive point guard, they'd need big man help.

If they traded Curry for Okafor (which they very well could in an instant due to New Orleans wanting to clear cap), would Okafor serve as the "Kendrick Perkins" for this group? He's young and he's been known for his great defense and rebounding during his NBA career.

LeBron, Amare, Gallinari, Chandler and Okafor would be a pretty great core.

saintdrew
07-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I would love for someone to trade for Emeka Okafor. However it depends on who they send us in return.

Russell_Roberts
07-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Doubt it. Nice but Doubt it

LionBryan
07-07-2010, 09:23 AM
If the ghost of Pete Maravich signed with the Nets and Eddy Curry baked a cake, could the square root of New Jersey equal 18?

eknicksfan
07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
If the ghost of Pete Maravich signed with the Nets and Eddy Curry baked a cake, could the square root of New Jersey equal 18?

Impossible...

everyone knows that the ghost of pete maravich translates to 0, which means that Eddy Curry is baking cookies...which means that Charles Barkley is coming into town to eat them...Thus, leaving us with answer to be none other than...

Epicfailure
07-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Who comes off the bench for this team? Or would Lebron, Amare, Okafor, etc all play 48 minutes every single game?

NY Till I Die
07-07-2010, 09:27 AM
He would be the perfect Center for a D'Antoni syste,. He runs very good, athletic plays D (Wow, ok not a D'ANtoni strong point) And blocks shots.It also would allow STAT to play PF.

C - Okafor
PF - STAT
SF - Gallo
SG - Lebron
PG - Douglas, Collison, Parker, Ridenour, Felton.... Me. LMAO

It could work.

Jetsguy
07-07-2010, 09:30 AM
He possibly could be but I am not sure how they would get him without giving up Chandler unless they really want a salary dump which I guess is possible since his contract it pretty bad...

S-Dot
07-07-2010, 09:30 AM

:laugh2: this is a little far in advance to be thinking. Let's wait for LBJ's decision on Thursday first

J4KOP99
07-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Remember this:

The Knicks and their fans need to actually sign LeBron first before any of this other **** is possible.

Don't think just because Wade and Bosh teamed up, LeBron will be forced to team up as well. I could still very easily see him going to Cleveland or Chicago. I don't however see any chance of him ending up in Miami.

NY Till I Die
07-07-2010, 09:34 AM
The Knicks could sign Jared Jefferies back to back up C, PF, SF,

Hes not getting anywhere close the money he just had.

Thisisouryear!!
07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
might be a good option for knicks if they get lebron, but NO would have to sweeten the deal, Noone and i mean NOONE is going to take that contract on (top 5 worst in the nba) unless NO attatches a player like collison or paul with him.

97NYer
07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
The Knicks could sign Jared Jefferies back to back up C, PF, SF,

Hes not getting anywhere close the money he just had.

JJ isn't a FA, If he was we wouldn't have given up picks and Hill to get rid of him.

Thisisouryear!!
07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
I would love for someone to trade for Emeka Okafor. However it depends on who they send us in return.

You should be happy recieving a bag of chips for him that contract is awful, and may be a reason you lose paul....eventually....

homestarunner93
07-07-2010, 09:49 AM
No, because Okafor is terrible. He really isn't very effective at the center spot, he's constantly getting his shot blocked, and his defense there is vastly overrated. And to the person who said he's a good athlete and runs the floor well, you couldn't be more wrong. The reason the Bobcats traded him is that he's a terrible athlete and they wanted another ****** center who is more athletic (Chandler).

NYKnicks4511
07-07-2010, 09:49 AM

If your owner really wants to clear cap room then I don't think there are many options to look at aside from Curry's contract. Okafor has one of the most ridiculous contracts in the league (for a guy who is that injury prone) and has multiple years remaining.

I could understand a team like us offering Chandler along with Curry for a stud young PG like Collison, but for Emeka alone I really don't know.

IAmKira
07-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Impossible...

everyone knows that the ghost of pete maravich translates to 0, which means that Eddy Curry is baking cookies...which means that Charles Barkley is coming into town to eat them...Thus, leaving us with answer to be none other than...

:confused::confused::confused:

i thought it was 16. :speechless:

OT Thriller
07-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Just got an idea, why not send New Orleans David Lee too in a deal centered around:

Okafor and Collison for Lee and Curry

Not sure how the money works but throw in another player to the Knicks to make the cap work and this looks pretty solid for both teams. New Orleans proves to Paul that theyre willing to make moves by upgrading their frontline and the Knicks kill two birds with one stone by getting a PG and a C.

NY Till I Die
07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
No, because Okafor is terrible. He really isn't very effective at the center spot, he's constantly getting his shot blocked, and his defense there is vastly overrated. And to the person who said he's a good athlete and runs the floor well, you couldn't be more wrong. The reason the Bobcats traded him is that he's a terrible athlete and they wanted another ****** center who is more athletic (Chandler).

Aren't we talking about the same Okafor who had 8 blocks against the Knicks. Oh I thought he did play defense.

LA_Raiders
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
LeBroom will end up in Cleveland or NJ....

DerekRE_3
07-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Aren't we talking about the same Okafor who had 8 blocks against the Knicks. Oh I thought he did play defense.

You can block shots and still not be a good defender. Okafor isn't bad at defense by any means but some people think he's better than he actually is. Okafor hasn't improved a lick since getting drafted. His post game isn't good, he doesn't have a mid range game, and he can't hit free throws. His offense consists of gimmie buckets and put backs from offensive rebounds. He even struggles with that because he's not an explosive leaper and is an undersized center.

Patrick Swayze
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Why would the Hornets want Curry? He is fat, sucks, and a fugitive. Stop with your dumb theories.

NYK|NYY
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Why would the Hornets want Curry? He is fat, sucks, and a fugitive. Stop with your dumb theories.

Dump cap space dood

Patrick Swayze
07-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Dump cap space dood

I understand that, but they can get more out of him than Curry. Plus, doesn't Curry have sort of a big contract?

DerekRE_3
07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I understand that, but they can get more out of him than Curry. Plus, doesn't Curry have sort of a big contract?

I really doubt they could. Okafor's contract is massively bad. He's got about 4 years/$52 mil left.

NYK|NYY
07-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Curry is expiring after this year and who the hell wants Okafor? NO has little leverage for a guy went down it almost every stat last year w/ a horrible contract.

pebloemer
07-07-2010, 01:43 PM
IF this signing happens THEN IF this trade happens, can THIS player be like THIS player? Anyone else see what is wrong with this thread?

Patrick Swayze
07-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I really doubt they could. Okafor's contract is massively bad. He's got about 4 years/$52 mil left.

If they did trade him, it wouldn't be Okafor for someone straight up. I really only see him being moved if Paul or Collison are in the deal which I don't see either one of them being traded.

Being a Hornets fan, I want to keep Okafor. I say this cause our front office is horrible and they would probably use Sean Marks as our center.

uprightciti
07-07-2010, 01:45 PM
So down

loufor2
07-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Impossible...

Your math is ALL WRONG.
Eddy Curry will cough up a pastrami sandwich, thus making the equation irrelevant or extraneous!

NYK|NYY
07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
If they did trade him, it wouldn't be Okafor for someone straight up. I really only see him being moved if Paul or Collison are in the deal which I don't see either one of them being traded.

Being a Hornets fan, I want to keep Okafor. I say this cause our front office is horrible and they would probably use Sean Marks as our center.

I think Collison is going to get moved because you guys want to keep CP3 and he wants to be a winner. So I think you need dump some space to get real pieces on that team and that means moving Okafor and you need to throw in a chip to make that attractive.

The Mecca
07-07-2010, 02:04 PM

First off, Curry is expiring this year, Oak is on the books for another four years. Yea, sure Curry's contract is kinda big, so is Oak's, thats why it would work.

Some quick math:

Curry 1yr x $11 million = $11 million

Oak 4yrs x $11 million = $44 million+ depending on his raises

Now, Curry may be useless, but NO has about $33 million reasons to want this trade, especially if the Hornets are as cash strapped as reports say.

If anyone can do better in this deal its the Knicks, were not taking Oak and his contract alone when we could just let Curry fall off the roster next year.

Swashcuff
07-07-2010, 02:07 PM

Apparantly you have no idea of what is what is going on in the NBA. Curry's massive expiring contract is exactly what your Hornets need. The deal may not be str8 up but it's very realistic.

Swashcuff
07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
If your owner really wants to clear cap room then I don't think there are many options to look at aside from Curry's contract. Okafor has one of the most ridiculous contracts in the league (for a guy who is that injury prone) and has multiple years remaining.

I could understand a team like us offering Chandler along with Curry for a stud young PG like Collison, but for Emeka alone I really don't know.

is he really. Dude missed 1 game the past three seasons.

DerekRE_3
07-07-2010, 02:14 PM
is he really. Dude missed 1 game the past three seasons.

Yep, Okafor had that label early in his career but he's managed to shed it.

Swashcuff
07-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Just to give Okafor some credit (even though based on his play we really haven't seen any improvement) he really trained hard the last couple off season (at least that is what was reported) on being more atheletic and physical. He put in work and got awarded with a contract that he quite frankly did not deserve.

DerekRE_3
07-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Just to give Okafor some credit (even though based on his play we really haven't seen any improvement) he really trained hard the last couple off season (at least that is what was reported) on being more atheletic and physical. He put in work and got awarded with a contract that he quite frankly did not deserve.

He does work hard on his body, but Larry Brown had a pretty telling quote about Okafor. I don't have the exact quote but I'll paraphrase:

"I wish he worked as hard on his game as he does his body."

hugepatsfan
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
NO should deal Okafor+Collison to the Knicks for Wilson Chandler+Curry. Then deal Posey to CLE for Delonte West+Jamario Moon. West is only guaranteed 500K this year (I think) and Moon is cheaper over the next two years than Posey is.

Swashcuff
07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
NO should deal Okafor+Collison to the Knicks for Wilson Chandler+Curry. Then deal Posey to CLE for Delonte West+Jamario Moon. West is only guaranteed 500K this year (I think) and Moon is cheaper over the next two years than Posey is.

They'll have to give up more than just Posey to get Moon as well. Maybe a future 1st or something

Patrick Swayze
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
:facepalm:

SNYmets86
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
i say no .... perkins got that fire in his eyes .... never seen okafor with that ...

LTBaByyy
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
No, because Okafor is terrible. He really isn't very effective at the center spot, he's constantly getting his shot blocked, and his defense there is vastly overrated. And to the person who said he's a good athlete and runs the floor well, you couldn't be more wrong. The reason the Bobcats traded him is that he's a terrible athlete and they wanted another ****** center who is more athletic (Chandler) .

How did that work out??

Plus I would rather have Okafor than someone who couldnt beat out Dampier for starting C for the mavs!!! (Haywood)

Dont forget Okafor got drafted to an EXPANSION TEAM!!!!!!! think about david carr, Its hard to make an expansion team a playoff team when your surrounded by scrubs

Its his contract thats terrible!! Okafor is not terrible bro

He avg 10 and 9 last year on a bad year, hes a double double machine

He would play A LOT better if he played with amare and lebron

uws
07-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I think he'd be great for us, but every day I see more and more deals that involve curry's expiring that might bring in a better player than okafor (ie. going for mello in the off season etc.) so it might be premature to trade him for oak

jonline87
07-07-2010, 05:01 PM
No. In D'Antonio's offense, Amare would be the 5.

Assuming they sign Lebron and no one else this off season:

PG: Lebron
SG: Walker
SF: Chandler
PF: Gallinari
C: Stoudemire

However, I expect them to sign a legitimate PG as well as TMAC and Kurt

PG: Parker or Rubio/Douglas
SG: Chandler/Walker
SF: Lebron/TMAC
PF: Gallinari/Kurt Thomas
C: Stoudemire/ Curry

thekmp211
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
he isnt bad, but as someone said earlier he hasnt improved. he's a slightly taller kurt thomas at this point without the jumper.

if the knicks could get collison in the deal it would be perfect. i think okafor's contract is bad enough that you could ask for collison as well, maybe for douglas chandler and curry?

DerekRE_3
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
How did that work out??

Plus I would rather have Okafor than someone who couldnt beat out Dampier for starting C for the mavs!!! (Haywood)

Dont forget Okafor got drafted to an EXPANSION TEAM!!!!!!! think about david carr, Its hard to make an expansion team a playoff team when your surrounded by scrubs

Worked out pretty well. The Bobcats made the playoffs for the first time and will save about $40 million from that trade.

And I remember people saying Okafor would get 18 and 10 playing with Chris Paul. He never came close to that when Chris Paul was healthy during the season.

LTBaByyy
07-07-2010, 05:43 PM
^^^^ Im talking about chandler!

DerekRE_3
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
^^^^ Im talking about chandler!

Right, he couldn't stay healthy. The Bobcats didn't do that deal from a talent standpoint, it was financial. The hope with that trade was at best Tyson would be pretty healthy and be able to defend the pick and roll and the basket while being able to run the floor. At the very worst it was going to be a salary dump.

Emeka Okafor: 4 years/$52 mil
Tyson Chandler: 1 year/$12 mil

Which would you take?

lakerfan3118
07-08-2010, 05:44 AM
You should be happy recieving a bag of chips for him that contract is awful, and may be a reason you lose paul....eventually....

Thank you sir, may I have another

homestarunner93
07-08-2010, 06:00 AM
How did that work out??

You must be kidding me. Playing QB for an NFL team is infinitely harder job than playing any position for any NBA team. Furthermore, playing for an expansion team helped Okafor because he was allowed to run wild his rookie year, which was the best year of his career.

magichatnumber9
07-08-2010, 06:05 AM
That wouldn't work because the rest of the team wouldn't play defense.

PHX2daDEATH
07-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Okafor is Sam Bowie to Dwight's Hakeem... Even the Clippers feel like they dodged a bullet on Emeka, when their guy had his lower leg practically twisted off.