PDA

View Full Version : Will David Lee get the Max?

Swashcuff
07-06-2010, 02:50 PM
This is not a question of should he get a max contract or not but more do you guys think he'll get it. I mean with the kind of money that has been thrown around this Off-Season and especially since Rudy Gay got the Max he was entitled for I believe its possible that Lee will also recieve the max that he's entitled for.

What do you guys think?

bodupp311
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Sadly, yes. And probably by my Bulls.

JordansBulls
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Hell no.

Swashcuff
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Hell no.

JB stranger things has happened in this FA.

S-Dot
07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Heavens no. I loved him as a Knick, but my goodness, that would be a huge mistake to give him the max.

*Silver&Black*
07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I say yes, because 2 teams will be without any free agent signings of the big names and will put money out for Lee.

If Bosh goes to the Cavs in a sign and trade with Lebron, and Wade & Boozer goes to the Heat, who will the Bulls/Nets go after?

Somebody is going to overpay for him.

Russell_Roberts
07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Hell no. i agree

ManRam
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
No, he wont.

And if he does, whatever team that signs him should be sent to the D-League as punishment.

J4KOP99
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
No he will not.

ohreally
07-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Lee is going to shock people next year with just how good he can be. Knicks are going to regret the Amare signing real fast (unless LeBron is even more of an attention-junkie than he seems to be and does decide to sign (then, I guess I'd have to love the Amare signing)).

Russell_Roberts
07-06-2010, 03:05 PM
No, he wont.

And if he does, whatever team that signs him should be sent to the D-League as punishment.
SIGN HIM TO MAX and whoever does that should teach little league bball for punishment!!

S-Dot
07-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Lee is going to shock people next year with just how good he can be. Knicks are going to regret the Amare signing real fast (unless LeBron is even more of an attention-junkie than he seems to be and does decide to sign (then, I guess I'd have to love the Amare signing)).

:confused:

what54!?
07-06-2010, 03:07 PM
no....I don't think anyone will get that desperate

knickfan33
07-06-2010, 03:14 PM
not even close, just think about last season, he spent the whole offseason a FA and then signed back with the knicks for nothing, cause noone went after him.

thescore53
07-06-2010, 03:17 PM
lee is very underrated despite playing in the biggest nba market

R_O_W_E
07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
No way. He shouldn't even be getting $12 Million per year, but thats what he believes his market is and thats what a team will be dumb enough to believe.

Lee in my opinion falls in line with a guy like Paul Millsap who only got $8 Million a year. Both guys are very good players but they dont need to be overpaid for what they bring to the table.

If I remember correctly Portland was looking at Hedo, Millsap, and Lee last summer.

Swashcuff
07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
@ knicksfan33 you made a good point by saying no one really went after him last summer but you also have to remember that this year is different. And with so many teams who made the room to get a top tier FA all wont be able to get so those left over may compete and one may make a desperate move.

elizur
07-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Lee is not underrated. He is exactly what he was last season. A fringe All-star. Period. Not a max guy. Not a fourth quarter scorer. Just solid as hell.

*Silver&Black*
07-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Lee is a great hustle player, but this should go to the "Monta Ellis" view of looking at players that put up great numbers on bad teams. I don't think Lee would put up those numbers if he was the 3rd or 4th option on a really good team.

R_O_W_E
07-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Seriously should David Lee be paid more than Josh Smith?

*Silver&Black*
07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Seriously should David Lee be paid more than Josh Smith?

All I got to say is switch the players for a moment. If Lee was playing next to Horford and had to watch Joe and Jamal jack up shots all game would he have the same numbers? Put Josh Smith on last year's Knicks as a 1st-2nd option and see him go off. David Lee is a very good role player who hustles if on a good team. Josh Smith, if ever given the chance to be a 1st-2nd option, would be a beast.

Raoul Duke
07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
No. But he'll make a lot of money.

Swashcuff
Lee is a great hustle player, but this should go to the "Monta Ellis" view of looking at players that put up great numbers on bad teams. I don't think Lee would put up those numbers if he was the 3rd or 4th option on a really good team.

Dude this is the NBA and he still has to compete against some of the best players in the world and still is able to kill them on the glass and score on them like its nothing sometimes. So the basing him as being a good player on a bad team doesn't pertain to this situation. He's a solid, quality and talented player who plays very efficiently but he is just going to get paid more than he deserves.

Rivera
ima say no

i think boozer is more likely to get the max

but i can still see Lee gettin around 12, 13 mill

Hawkeye15
07-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't think he will get the max, but after looking around and seeing the ridiculous deals given so far, $12-13 million a year isn't far fetched.

mwoodri
07-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Lee will for sure get the max. His max salary only starts at 13.5 mil (not 16.8 like some others) and someone will give it to him.

thescore53
07-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Swashcuff
07-06-2010, 03:29 PM

i said the same thing about Rudy Gay.... i was wrong!

thawv
07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
No chance in the world he get's a max deal. Not even a remote chance.

Kyben36
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Lee is soooo over rated, he is a product of a system, his reboundint nymber are spiked because if you where the tallest player on your team, you might grab the most rebounds. he is defensless.

IF he gets over 10 mil a year, I would say the NBA is crap.

what54!?
07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
no....I don't think anyone will get that desperatecopy and paste is always the way to go :)

Swashcuff
07-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Lee is soooo over rated, he is a product of a system, his reboundint nymber are spiked because if you where the tallest player on your team, you might grab the most rebounds. he is defensless.

sigh... i mean c'mon thats what you base him getting all those rebounds on? Are you being serious... do you watch the Knicks games?

He's no way shape or form deserving of the Max but if he can do one thing well thats rebound.

roshan3ai
07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
No, he won't, but he will get close to it. Keep in mind that his max is around 14 million. Last year he was looking for about twelve million a year, but no team bit. However, this past year he made the all star team and had very solid year. Sadly, he will get around a 12-13 million starting salary for this year. Even though he doesn't play any defense and is a stat padder, he will get a big contract. There are a good deal of teams that cleared cap for this free agency, and with Johnson and Gay already re-signing, all teams won't be able to get a star, so they'll settle for David Lee.

omdigga
07-06-2010, 03:41 PM
in this market.. i think he can get the max..

topdog
07-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Dude this is the NBA and he still has to compete against some of the best players in the world and still is able to kill them on the glass and score on them like its nothing sometimes. So the basing him as being a good player on a bad team doesn't pertain to this situation. He's a solid, quality and talented player who plays very efficiently but he is just going to get paid more than he deserves.

I agree somewhat. Good numbers on a bad team needs to be taken into the context of each individual situation; but often, especially for bigs, it is harder to put up big numbers and do so effeciently on a bad team because of all the defensive attention (i.e. help and double teams) they recieve. Teams with good wings and points make it easier for bigs to score efficiently.

Bigbadmoffo
07-06-2010, 03:42 PM

You mean overrated??

justinnum1
07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
If rudy gay gets a max...david lee will get one.

Swashcuff
07-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree somewhat. Good numbers on a bad team needs to be taken into the context of each individual situation; but often, especially for bigs, it is harder to put up big numbers and do so effeciently on a bad team because of all the defensive attention (i.e. help and double teams) they recieve. Teams with good wings and points make it easier for bigs to score efficiently.

yeah i mean if i guy is a really talented volume shooter like Monta or Kevin Martin a bad team with a high octane offense can certainly help their stats but thats 100% the case with David Lee and the Knicks.

sintaks12
07-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Unless of course you're comparing him to Stat... then suddenly he's a juggernaut. Lol.

THE_G.O.A.T.
07-06-2010, 03:54 PM
no, he will not

defender4m
07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Cant see it happening

NYSportsFanatic
07-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I see him getting 10-12 mil hopefully with a S&T.

THE MTL
07-06-2010, 04:13 PM
From the looks of it there will be two teams left high and dry. Therefore I could see them into a bidding war and overpaying at VERY LEAST for David Lee

Kakaroach
07-06-2010, 04:16 PM
His max is around 14mill, so I'm not guessing he gets that much. More around 12mill or so.

thescore53
07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
You mean overrated??

he's a 20 10 guy and has to wait for injuries for him to get in a allstar game

Iodine
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Some of the comments = :laugh:
I doubt it but it wouldnt be a system shock

GSRaider
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
5 year 12 mill per

xxseven72ducexx
07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Depending on where LeBron, Wade and Bosh sign will depend on how much money David Lee will get...most likely he isn't going to get the max but he'll get pretty damn close to it, he averaged 20 and 10 last year regardless of if he played for the Knicks or any other team in the league...he produces and puts up big numbers, bigger numbers than some of the players you would call superstars and even IF he did get the max, why would it be so bad? He was an All-Star last year and don't say he only got in cuz Iverson didn't play cuz Iverson should've never been on the team in the first place...D-Lee in my opinion is atleast top 10 in rebounding in the NBA, top 40 in scoring and hustles harder than almost anybody in the league so if anybody has a problem with him getting max money you're a hater who doesn't respect hustle, dedication and production, and thinks only a big name deserves it...stop hatin, start respectin

Iodine
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Depending on where LeBron, Wade and Bosh sign will depend on how much money David Lee will get...most likely he isn't going to get the max but he'll get pretty damn close to it, he averaged 20 and 10 last year regardless of if he played for the Knicks or any other team in the league...he produces and puts up big numbers, bigger numbers than some of the players you would call superstars and even IF he did get the max, why would it be so bad? He was an All-Star last year and don't say he only got in cuz Iverson didn't play cuz Iverson should've never been on the team in the first place...D-Lee in my opinion is atleast top 10 in rebounding in the NBA, top 40 in scoring and hustles harder than almost anybody in the league so if anybody has a problem with him getting max money you're a hater who doesn't respect hustle, dedication and production, and thinks only a big name deserves it...stop hatin, start respectin

:laugh:
Dude "haterz!, hatin" and the like is the most played out **** ever.
Your pretty much saying "im right and your opinion is wrong!"
Id rather get a great player than a hustle player

shep33
07-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Toronto, Utah and Phoenix would like to have him, and probably need him. If the Bulls don't get Boozer they'll probably go after him.

Tough to say... Toronto over pays guys so maybe there, Phoenix too maybe cause they're desperate for a big man who can rebound.

blah-blah
07-06-2010, 04:34 PM
sadly yes

*Silver&Black*
07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
D-Lee in my opinion is atleast top 10 in rebounding in the NBA, top 40 in scoring and hustles harder than almost anybody in the league so if anybody has a problem with him getting max money you're a hater who doesn't respect hustle, dedication and production, and thinks only a big name deserves it...stop hatin, start respectin

You're missing the most important thing he doesn't do, WIN. I don't care about the stats. When it comes down to it, a TEAM winning is it. That is why JJ got the Max. We have improved every year with him and now top 3 in the East.

Yes we get smashed in the 2nd round of the playoffs, but where is Melo again in the playoffs? Dirk the past couple years?

Lee is a 3rd or 4th opition on a playoff team.

xxseven72ducexx
07-06-2010, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=Iodine;13970193]:laugh:
Dude "haterz!, hatin" and the like is the most played out **** ever.
Your pretty much saying "im right and your opinion is wrong!"
Id rather get a great player than a hustle player[/QUOTE

"and the like is the most played out **** ever." ???? what does that even mean??? and yea David Lee is hustle player but he's also a great player, just because his name isn't LeBron James doesn't mean he's not great or deserves to be paid...you're part of the exact same clowns i'm talking about, the ones that think you should only be paid max money if you have a shoe deal...david lee produces and puts up big numbers and there are people in this league getting paid more than he is who don't produce half as much so there's no reason why he shouldn't get paid

xxseven72ducexx
07-06-2010, 04:44 PM
You're missing the most important thing he doesn't do, WIN. I don't care about the stats. When it comes down to it, a TEAM winning is it. That is why JJ got the Max. We have improved every year with him and now top 3 in the East.

Yes we get smashed in the 2nd round of the playoffs, but where is Melo again in the playoffs? Dirk the past couple years?

he doesn't WIN?!?! what do you expect??? he was on the Knicks with other players that couldn't get it done...David Lee is not the reason they didn't WIN, if anything the Knicks got W's because of him, without him they would most likley of had 10 less losses, maybe even more...now on the other hand, JJ balls, i think he's a great player but he's got 2 other players on that team that have been All-Stars, D-Lee was the only All-Star on his team

ldc62
07-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I dunno he could. IMO hes a better player for the Knicks than Amare will be (assuming no one else joins them).

ugottabjoshinme
07-06-2010, 04:47 PM

The Knicks probably wouldn't have made the playoffs with JJ this year. Don't kid yourself by thinking the Hawks did not overpay him. He is not an number 1 option.

blams
07-06-2010, 04:49 PM
nohohohoHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CowboysKB24
07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Hopefully not.

uprightciti
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
D lee would thrive in minny or even the clippers. He is very much a max guy. Best white guy next to dirk.

Wisdom Listens
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
He better not.

Wisdom Listens
07-06-2010, 04:58 PM
D lee would thrive in minny or even the clippers. He is very much a max guy. Best white guy next to dirk.

Steve Nash is better than either in my opinion.

P-Willie M.V.P.
07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
This is not a question of should he get a max contract or not but more do you guys think he'll get it. I mean with the kind of money that has been thrown around this Off-Season and especially since Rudy Gay got the Max he was entitled for I believe its possible that Lee will also recieve the max that he's entitled for.

What do you guys think?

It depends on what team offers him what. but odds are he will get the max or close to a max contract. especially if he goes to a team that doesn't have any All-stars, but strange things do happen in the NBA

RadiantShot
07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Not in 4 million years.

SA5195
07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
No he won't, but he'll probably get paid big bucks.

29$JerZ
07-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Lee isn't overrated

He is a 3rd option at best.
Imo his worth is 8 million based on offense and consistency, other than that he brings nothing else.

Raidaz4Life
07-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Max.... no but I can see a Paul Pierce-esque contract. 4 year-60 mil

JWO35
07-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Hell if Rudy Gay got a Max Deal, why not Lee?
Peolple are throwing out max deals like Jehovah's Witness pamphlets

LA_Raiders
07-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Hell yeah, the way teams are spending $$$, I bet he will get Max money...

I really feel sorry for all the teams spending big money and winning ****...

We spend money, but we win championships...

29$JerZ
07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Hell yeah, the way teams are spending $$$, I bet he will get Max money...

I really feel sorry for all the teams spending big money and winning ****...

We spend money, but we win championships...

Having Kobe and Pau gift wrapped to you helps a lot, not to mention Artest ;)

Da Knicks
07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Lee will get max his max is not as high as people think...

97NYer
07-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Lee won't go for 20/12 on a good team. If there is someone else to rebound and the offense isn't as high tempo, he would be a solid, consistent player. I would say a 17/10 guy. Worth 10-11 million if you ask me.

nanablvd
07-06-2010, 05:45 PM
no he wont, but some teams are expected to lose out the lebron, wade, bosh, and amare's hunt and end up having tremendous cap rooms with no superstars on board. Those teams may decide to overpay Lee a little bit to get at least some talent in return. I foresee him to get around $13million a year for 4 to 5 years, but definitely not a max contract; Lee himself wouldnt ask for that price tag too if the free agency processes for the big stars figure to drag longer.

PrettyBoyJ
07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
negative.. might get a 5 yr $55 mil

JasonJohnHorn
07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
He deservess it as much (or more) than Amare, but i doubt he'll get it.

BigBlueCrew
07-06-2010, 06:00 PM
David Lee is definitely a P.O.T.S player

P.O.T.S = Product of the system

should not get the max

The Jokemaker
07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Definitely. Any other offseason I wouldn't think so but with teams having so much cash this year, it looks good for Lee. He'll get max or near max.

And Gay would have gotten max too from another team if not the Grizzlies. That's why the owner went ahead and gave Gay what he was asking to end it.

madiaz3
07-06-2010, 07:20 PM
not even close, just think about last season, he spent the whole offseason a FA and then signed back with the knicks for nothing, cause noone went after him.

He wasn't quite as good then as he is now.

Evolution23
07-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Maybe the Bulls if they get left out

VinceCarter
07-06-2010, 09:54 PM
People forget Rudy Gay's max is only worth $13.5 million. He deserves money like that. He is 22 and is still getting better.

xabial
07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
David will get around a 50M deal. Maybe 60M if he has a really good agent.

Swashcuff
07-06-2010, 10:18 PM
David will get around a 50M deal. Maybe 60M if he has a really good agent.

are you willing to bet make a sig bet on that?

KnicksR4Real
07-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I have a feeling that. A team like the Nets might do this

hockeyunhboy77
07-06-2010, 10:40 PM

I agree Lee needs a solid Point guard to get him the ball and an another player wouldn't hurt to spread the floor. He would be good with the nets with john wall and if they where to sign someone else or say wade went to the nets which isn't going to happen but if it did.

wall, wade and lee. Lee would easily average 23 points a game and grab 12 boards a game. That would be a sick trio. Lee is gunna explode next year if he gets too play with a solid Point guard like rondo, CP3 ETC

TheGsw
07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I have a feeling that. A team like the Nets might do this
I got that same feeling lol

The Raven
07-07-2010, 12:49 PM
With the amount of money being thrown around right now, i can certainly picture him getting the max or at least close to it

JOSKOMANG4
07-07-2010, 01:40 PM
He'll get 5yr 70mill AT MOST; similar to what Chicago will give Boozer.

Destinations:

NJ(I Hope not; rather have Favors start right away)
G-State(S&T w/Knicks for Monta Ellis. Wishful thinking)
Spurs(S&T w/Knicks for Tony Parker. Wishful thinking)
Wizards(Agree would be a great fit with that youth movement! Wizards only have around 12 mill to spend, so maybe they work out a deal with the Knicks! Maybe Foye & YI for Lee)

hugh1130
07-07-2010, 01:41 PM
He'll get 5yr 70mill AT MOST; similar to what Chicago will give Boozer.

I do not agree, Lee will get the max from chicago when Boozer goes to the nets.

mikantsass
07-07-2010, 01:55 PM
No, he is an undersized pf/c...... he deserves around $10mil per year

Seventh King
07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
The max?...nah..but given that clubs are throwing some cash around, I'd say he'd get a decent raise over what he got from NY last season.

Swashcuff
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
No, he is an undersized pf/c...... he deserves around $10mil per year

this is not about what he deserves it is about what he's likely to fetch in today's market.

king4day
07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I thought I read he was looking for 10-12 at most.

SANDBURG23
07-07-2010, 04:06 PM
He'll get about 13 mil a year. Hopefully from the Bulls. He a good top Rebounder and good low post player. His play also almost fits with anyone, he would not finder just make D.Rose path to baskety easier. Him and Noah would also control the boards. His doesnt have a charter issues, his 27 and about to hit his prime.

Kashmir13579
07-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I say yes, because 2 teams will be without any free agent signings of the big names and will put money out for Lee.

If Bosh goes to the Cavs in a sign and trade with Lebron, and Wade & Boozer goes to the Heat, who will the Bulls/Nets go after?

Somebody is going to overpay for him.
without a doubt