PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matthews band to play Wrigley Field

ReJo
07-06-2010, 02:08 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100706&content_id=11984130&vkey=pr_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Dave Matthews Band announces two very special performances at Wrigley Field - Historic home of the Chicago Cubs
Friday, September 17th and Saturday, September 18th, On Sale Saturday July 17th at 10am

n the midst of an extensive summer tour with sold-out dates across the country, Dave Matthews Band announced today that two very special concerts will be added to the 2010 tour schedule — Friday, September 17th and Saturday, September 18th at historic Wrigley Field in Chicago. Singersongwriter Jason Mraz will join the bill as support for both dates.

Tickets for the Dave Matthews Band concerts September 17th and 18th at Wrigley Field will go on sale on Saturday, July 17th @ 10am. Tickets are priced at $85.00, $75.00 $65.00 and $49.50 and will be available at www.tickets.com or by calling 1-800-THE-CUBS. Tickets will not be sold at the Wrigley Field Box Office. There is a six ticket limit per customer. Additional fees may apply.

"Wrigley Field and the Cubs have long been known for their passionate fans. This September the Friendly Confines will be filled with passionate fans of a different sort; fans of one of this generation's most enduring, most popular and most hard working musical groups, Dave Matthews Band" said Cubs President Crane Kenney, "We are thrilled to be able to offer the band and its fans a truly unique concert experience here at historic Wrigley Field."

Dave Matthews Band will join a short list of elite musical acts that have performed at the historic ballpark, including Jimmy Buffett, The Police, Billy Joel & Elton John and Rascal Flatts. In the past decade, Dave Matthews Band was the biggest ticket seller worldwide, selling upwards of 11 million tickets to 547 shows from 2000-2009, according to Billboard Boxscore. In fact, it was the only group to exceed 10 million in attendance for the period. The band has sold over 17 million tickets since its inception.

The announcement of the two Wrigley Field concerts comes just weeks after Dave Matthews Band told fans via its website that, after two decades of near-constant touring, the group will be taking a year off in 2011. "We feel lucky that our tours are a part of so many people's lives," Dave Matthews Band said in a statement posted on its website earlier this month. "We're excited to make this summer one of our best tours yet, and look forward to returning to the road in 2012."

Dave Matthews Band - comprising Carter Beauford (drums), Stefan Lessard (bass), Dave Matthews (vocals, guitar) and Boyd Tinsley (violin) - has sold 37 million CDs and DVDs combined. The group's latest album, Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King (RCA), was hailed as "their most electric album yet" (Rolling Stone) and "spiritual and spirited" (People, "Critic's Choice"). With Big Whiskey's debut at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 in June of 2009, Dave Matthews Band became one of only two groups in chart history to have five consecutive studio albums enter atop the chart. The Platinum-certified, GRAMMY®-nominated collection features some of the last studio recordings of founding member/saxophonist LeRoi Moore, who passed away in August of 2008.

Special guest Jason Mraz will join Dave Matthews Band as support for the September concerts at Wrigley Field. "It's always an honor to share a stage with DMB, and it's even more of an honor when that stage is the legendary Wrigley Field," Mraz said of the ballpark concerts.

Mraz's latest studio album, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. earned two Grammy awards in 2010 for Best Male Pop Vocal ("Make It Mine") and Best Pop Collaboration ("Lucky"), as well as three other nominations in 2009. Mraz's most recent hit song, "I'm Yours", was on the Billboard Hot 100 chart longer than any other song in history and was named ASCAP's "Song Of The Year" in 2010. Additionally, Mraz's songwriting talents were recently recognized when he received the Songwriters Hall of Fame's esteemed "Hal David Starlight Award" at the organization's 40th anniversary gala.
ABOUT WRIGLEY FIELD:

As Wrigley Field is in a residential neighborhood, fans are encouraged to use public transportation to attend the concert. The Cubs operate a shuttle and parking service at the DeVry University campus located off Addison St. and Western. Parking at this location will be $6.00 and all occupants ride the shuttle free to and from the ballpark.

Tailgating will not be allowed in the Wrigley Field parking lots. All bags will be inspected upon entry to Wrigley Field. The following items are not permitted in the site.

* Food & Beverage Items
* Umbrellas
* Cameras & Video Recording Equipment
* Laser Pointers
I can't stand DMB so I won't be attending but figured I'd pass the info along to those of you who like that crap.

Yagyu+
07-06-2010, 02:17 PM
This too:

Not to be outdone, in an apparent response to the Dave Matthews Band having been scheduled to perform at Wrigley Field, the Chicago White Sox announced that they will be hosting the local L.E.P. Bogus Boys at U.S. Cellular Field. Bogus Boys will be performing their smash hit Chicago Nz (http://www.fakeshoredrive.com/2010/04/video-l-e-p-bogus-boys-chicago-nz.html).

Tell me what you know about the middle of the map,
Gangstas in them all black White Sox fitted caps.

giventofly
07-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Ugh

Cubs420
07-06-2010, 02:41 PM
This too:

Tell me what you know about the middle of the map,
Gangstas in them all black White Sox fitted caps.

ha very fitting.

hopefully DMB doesn't dump their **** outside of Wrigley.

Milnertime
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Great.

Just one more thing going on at Wrigley this year that I don't care about.

BDawk4Prez
07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Great more suckage at Wrigley.

MrPoon
07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
a firestorm to purify......

CubbieSteve
07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
What a horrible, horrible group of musicians.

1908_Cubs
07-06-2010, 03:28 PM
DMB blows.

Awesome.

Mell413
07-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I hate the band and I hate their fans even more. That said if it gives us enough money to sign someone like Carl Crawford in the off-season I'm okay with it.

ReJo
07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I think I'd rather see a Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus concert.
The only band worse than DMB is Phish

Jerry34
07-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm more exciting about Northwestern playing at Wrigley.

CubbieSteve
07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm more excited about The University of Illinois playing at Wrigley.

Corrected

ReJo
07-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Corrected

I don't think anybody is excited about Illinois football this upcoming season. They are going to be worse than the Cubs. The only think I'm looking forward to is when Zook gets fired and of course basketball season

CubbieSteve
07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't think anybody is excited about Illinois football this upcoming season. They are going to be worse than the Cubs. The only think I'm looking forward to is when Zook gets fired

I'm excited. Mainly because of the youth, Freshmen QB and a couple of beast running backs.

But you are right Zook is a horrible in game coach. They have surrounded him with very good coordinators though so the play calling and such will undoubtedly improve. But I still don't think they'll be more than a 5 win team. That would be a step in the right direction though.

ReJo
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm excited. Mainly because of the youth, Freshmen QB and a couple of beast running backs.

But you are right Zook is a horrible in game coach. They have surrounded him with very good coordinators though so the play calling and such will undoubtedly improve. But I still don't think they'll be more than a 5 win team. That would be a step in the right direction though.

Leshoure is a badass.

Mell413
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I'll join in on the College FB talk here. Illinois probably won't be very good this year. Zook is a good recruiter, but he can't coach. I'm pretty confident my alma mater can beat them this upcoming season.

Cubs420
07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
woah alot of DMB hate..

you may not like their music but they are a very talented band..

THE_G.O.A.T.
07-06-2010, 04:43 PM
they suck

1908_Cubs
07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Go Kentucky!

Cubs420
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I hate the band and I hate their fans even more. That said if it gives us enough money to sign someone like Carl Crawford in the off-season I'm okay with it.

why?

70% of DMB fans are chicks and a good number of them are pretty good looking..If you ever see them live (which im guessing you won't) you will know what im talking about.

BDawk4Prez
07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Go Kentucky!

Post whore

ReJo
07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
I'll join in on the College FB talk here. Illinois probably won't be very good this year. Zook is a good recruiter, but he can't coach. I'm pretty confident my alma mater can beat them this upcoming season.

Half of that statement is right. Sadly I would no longer call him a good recruiter coming off back to back awful recruiting classes.
There is no question Northwestern will beat us.
Maybe Illinois will be able to grind out a couple of wins with their running game and hopefully improved defense. They are a new coach and at least a year or two away from even thinking about a bowl game.

hoggin88
07-06-2010, 05:19 PM
What a horrible, horrible group of musicians.

I totally understand why some people don't like DMB, but saying they are a horrible group of musicians shows that you obviously have not heard their music other than maybe a couple songs on the radio. Their drummer alone disqualifies your statement up there. He's unbelievable and is revered as one of the best in the business in the music world.

There are plenty of bands I don't like but I can acknowledge they have talent.

Cubs420
07-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I totally understand why some people don't like DMB, but saying they are a horrible group of musicians shows that you obviously have not heard their music other than maybe a couple songs on the radio. Their drummer alone disqualifies your statement up there. He's unbelievable and is revered as one of the best in the business in the music world.

Exactly.

MrPoon
07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
why?

70% of DMB fans are chicks and a good number of them are pretty good looking..If you ever see them live (which im guessing you won't) you will know what im talking about.

i paid $40 dollars back in 95 just to see soul coughing open for dave matthews. about 3 songs in to dmb, we left. they might be talented musicians, but they bored me to tears live.

Mell413
07-06-2010, 06:46 PM
why?

I don't have to like a certain band to get people to like me. Most of the people I know that go to see them are drunks and/or burnouts and I'm above that stuff. Their music doesn't do much for me. They maybe good at what they do, but it does nothing for me.

CUBDOM4life
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
I love DMB.

They get you laid.

They are great musicians too.

Captain Obvious
07-06-2010, 10:51 PM
That'd still be cool to see a concert at Wrigley. Cause they let you on the field, don't they?

CubbieSteve
07-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Yeah I suppose I shouldn't say they're horrible musicians. The members of his band have talent. Dave Matthews however, is another story. I should have been a little clearer or thought about it a little more but enraged in my Dave Matthews hate mode, that's what my fingers typed.

I've heard their music, basically all of it, and too often. We listen to it all night at work at least once a week. It makes me want to throw up. But hey, that's just me. You guys can be pretend hippies and listen to the high pitched whiner all you want. Just don't spread the virus around to me.

BDawk4Prez
07-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I love DMB.

They get you laid.

They are great musicians too.

By men?

chitown sports
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
That'd still be cool to see a concert at Wrigley. Cause they let you on the field, don't they?

Yeah you can get tickets on the field...its pretty sweet i went to a concert there last summer and met a bunch of athletes at the concert...rick sutcliffe, brian urlacher, robbie gould, adam burish, patrick kane, and jonathan toews. It was really cool!

duce5858
07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I thought that DMB was banned from Chicago for dumping their bus toilet in the Chicago River a few years back?

3Fingers
07-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Yep.

And Stephan Lessard is a fairly decent bass player. Like, top-5-in-the-world decent.