PDA

View Full Version : Starting Point Guard Job Is Steve Blake's To Lose

AllTimeBest
07-06-2010, 11:03 AM
He certainly has not won Derek Fisherís five NBA titles, but Blake has similar solidity that makes him the Lakersí ideal free-agent addition.

The reason itíll be his job to lose is simple: Even assuming that Fisher and the Lakers eventually find that number that results in his re-signing, the club will go into next season expecting Blake to be on the court more at lead guard than Fisher Ö the very same way Jordan Farmar was expected to be but wasnít good enough to be.

Blake, 30, is good enough, experienced enough and defensively tough enough to be a wizard when Farmar, Shannon Brown and Sasha Vujacic have only been the tin man, scarecrow and cowardly lion.

The Lakersí hope is that Blake plays well enough to keep Fisher, 36 next month, resting most of the regular season. And if Blake is playing well throughout the regular season, heíll then have clearance to play most of the time in the postseason, no matter the legacy already forged by Fisher.

You get the picture. The Lakers donít want to depend on Fisher proving yet again he can chill rather icily in the freezer for uncomfortably long periods before microwaving himself at just the right postseason time. So if Blake performs consistently, as he certainly can, Fisher can become a luxury instead of a compact with high mileage.

Fisher does figure to be back, but thereís no doubt that the Lakersí signing of Blake on Wednesday night will give them tremendous bargaining position against Fisher, who wants to return next season and understandably believes he has earned his keep for the Lakers, who understandably must base their expenses on projected contributions.

For now, Blake is set to wear No. 5 Ė hardly ready even to peek at Fisherís longtime No. 2, which Blake has worn for his recent teams. There arenít many players whom the Lakers could realistically envision as replacing Fisher, but Blake is one.

Like Fisher, Blake is an excellent caretaker who has a healthy confidence and tenacity that fits well with higher-profile players.

Blake is annually among the league leaders in assist-to-turnover ratio, a critical statistic in Phil Jacksonís scheme and one in which Fisher slipped badly last season. Fisher was 35th in the NBA (25th among point guards) in last season; Blake was 17th (14th among point guards).

In 2008-09, Fisher was seventh (sixth among point guards) to Blakeís eighth (seventh). The two seasons before that, Blake ranked far higher than Fisher.

Blake does a lot of what Fisher quietly does well on offense. Blake is adept at hitting open jumpers, especially 3-pointers, which will come frequently in his spot in the triangle offense alongside Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol. Blake doesnít finish that well at the hoop, but he is much smoother in transition and offers more creative flair in his passing than Fisher.

Most importantly, Blake is a dependable defender who can stay in front of a variety of guards. He has stepped in and held his ground at 6-foot-3 even while guarding the 6-6 Bryant in the past, which is something the Lakers admired in Devin Harris and Kirk Hinrich to the point that they coveted them in trade.

Where Blake isnít Fisher is in postseason pedigree: Blake has played just 15 playoff games and is 0-3 for his career in playoff series.

But thatís why Blake is here: He wants to play big-time games against prime-time competition.

He picked the various high-school teams he played on to face higher-quality competition and make himself better. He won the state championship at Miami High as a junior and the mythical national championship at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia as a senior.

Farmar purported to be right for this challenge, often mentioning leading Taft High to its first Los Angeles city championship and taking UCLA to the national title game. Blake has done much more, including in the NBA.

Most noteworthy was how Blake was a four-year starter at Maryland, winning the 2002 NCAA title while Fisher was helping the Lakers win their third consecutive NBA title, a feat theyíll be out to repeat next season.

Blake is a perfect fit for the Lakers, who just like last season with Ron Artest needed someone new and hungry to keep this top-shelf bread from getting stale.

Blake is a winner. His NBA ledger just has yet to show it.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/steve-256431-blake-perfect.html

-

Raidaz4Life
07-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Good move, although I already figured he would be starting regardless of fisher's situation.

Avenged
07-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Makes sense, unless Sasha gets the nod but I'd rather Blake (a true pg) run the show.

MVPKOBE43
07-06-2010, 11:35 AM
If the Lakers sign Fisher, he will start. But he wont finish, and sasha will just back up mr Bean unless gerald green decides to show up in summer league. I also hope good things for dj strawberry. Maybe our coaches can help them to succeed. Look out for those 2 guys.

Lakeshow86
07-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, Im not so sure Blake will start. I think he will play the majority of the minutes though. Fish will start the game. Blake will play in the middle and Fisher will finish the games. Fish will play about 15- 20 minutes and blake will play 25- 30 minutes

LAdiablo
07-06-2010, 11:43 AM
nice read. thanks

shep33
07-06-2010, 11:43 AM
If we sign Fish, he'll start. I'd actually prefer Blake to come off the bench with LO. If Fish doesn't sign, I'm guessing we get Earl Watson for a backup while Blake starts.

Kobe4Life
07-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Makes sense, unless Sasha gets the nod but I'd rather Blake (a true pg) run the show.

Sasha is a backup SG where do you even come up with that? Of course he's not going to get the nod is makes zero sense he's not even a passer. wow some laker fans....:facepalm:

albertc86
07-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I haven't seen much of Blake, but by most accounts, he's a solid PG. I saw a little highlight reel of his and I wasn't 'wowed' but he looks like a good fit for the Lakers.

Raidaz4Life
07-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Sasha is a backup SG where do you even come up with that? Of course he's not going to get the nod is makes zero sense he's not even a passer. wow some laker fans....:facepalm:

/

A reporter had asked him about the possibility he'd play more at point guard next season, what with the uncertainty regarding the future of Derek Fisher, Shannon Brown and Jordan Farmar, as well as Mitch Kupchak's contention that the team's back court is the biggest area of concern during the off-season. Though the Lakers' roster for 2010-2011 is far from complete, the mere chance that Vujacic would assume a greater role at point guard left him giddy and excited.

"I love it; I'm not going to lie to you," said Vujacic, who had also assumed more point guard duties with the Slovenian national team. "It's a big responsibility.... I'm up for the challenge."
:facepalm:

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/sasha-vujacic/

lakers4sho
07-06-2010, 12:14 PM
/

:facepalm:

:laugh2:

LA_Raiders
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Agree, Blake is a great fit for LA...

Lakeshow86
07-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I haven't seen much of Blake, but by most accounts, he's a solid PG. I saw a little highlight reel of his and I wasn't 'wowed' but he looks like a good fit for the Lakers.

Ya, blake seems like a good fit for Lakers. maybe not so good fit for other teams but a good fit for lakers. He's a good shooter at about 40% career three pointers. He will get plently of open 3 point shots. plays solid defense. Better than Fisher and Farmar anyway. IS a better passer than Fisher or Farmar.

Cooper
07-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Fish will start...and finish. Blake will get most of the in between. Phil isn't going to change the way he does things in his last year on the bench....and besides...come crunch time, Kobe has a comfort level with Fish on the floor.

truplayer199
07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
It really doesn't matter who starts. I doubt either Fisher or Blake would make a big deal over who's the starting PG.

New Power House
07-06-2010, 02:20 PM

I have been watching the Blazers for awhile (4years) and this guy is way more consistent than Fisher and the rest of the "P.Guards" last year in Lakers land.
Like the article says the only advantage for now that Fisher has over this guy is that Fisher is more savvy NBA play offs tested,but this guy is hungry,well discipline and willing to learn!

Toadman
07-06-2010, 02:22 PM

The Front Office during his exit told him to start working on his point guard skills as he could called upon to bring the ball up. There was an entire thread
about the possibility of Sasha being our back up point guard a little over a week ago. Where have you been?

New Power House
07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Ya, blake seems like a good fit for Lakers. maybe not so good fit for other teams but a good fit for lakers. He's a good shooter at about 40% career three pointers. He will get plently of open 3 point shots. plays solid defense. Better than Fisher and Farmar anyway. IS a better passer than Fisher or Farmar.

He can shoot at different ranges and he is perhaps better defender than Fisher. He can perform the duty of a typical PG.He is a willing passer and this is going help Bynum and Gasol on the post. LA is going to love his game.He is another ferocious watch dog! Bynum,Gasol,Artest,Kobe and Blake the watch dog! I want to see this guy defending the looser from the Boston.

New Power House
07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
The Front Office during his exit told him to start working on his point guard skills as he could called upon to bring the ball up. There was an entire thread
about the possibility of Sasha being our back up point guard a little over a week ago. Where have you been?

Lakers will try to get either Bell or maybe Green if he shows up during the SL to help Kobe as Brown did. Sasha will play either the 1 or the 2 depending of each game situation.

Rocco007
07-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Love Blake signing...But we still need another reliable shooter...and please don't mention The Machine...:eyebrow:

#1chickhearnfan
07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Their's not much out their in the lakers price range they have left. Roger Mason Jr. might be considered as another shooter or Kurt Thomas as a nice back up C/PF.

truplayer199
07-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Also coming out of the draft he was drafted to be a PG. He has much better ball handler and passer than Brown and Farmar combined. He definitely has PG capabilities.

LakerLegend
07-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Fish will start. Phil loves him. Bet you 100 bucks.

gr824
07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Their's not much out their in the lakers price range they have left. Roger Mason Jr. might be considered as another shooter or Kurt Thomas as a nice back up C/PF.

Mason apparently has a number of suitors, but he plans to choose soon ...

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/07/06/3494/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Vinylman
07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Blah Blah Blah

If Fisher returns he will definitely be the starter...

It has nothing to do with skill it has to do with the fact that phil will want him to get his minutes earlier in the game so he can rest him in the middle of the game and have him ready at the end if needed.

terrible column imo

gr824
07-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Blah Blah Blah

It has nothing to do with skill it has to do with the fact that phil will want him to get his minutes earlier in the game so he can rest him in the middle of the game and have him ready at the end if needed.

terrible column imo

I have to agree ... Even if Fisher plays only 12-15 MPG during regular season contests, a chunk of those minutes will be at the beginning of the game and most or all of the rest will close out the fourth quarter ...

Not only does Phil feel most confident whenever Fisher is on the floor, but Bryant likes to see him there, too. Fish is Kobe's security blanket ...

RidgeRaider24
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
lovin the steve blake acquisition, cant wait to finish free agency and back to work for the 3peat

Tree Rollins
07-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Uh. Sasha played some point in the past, and like 5 years ago when he came into the league they were trying to groom him to become their PG. Those days are gone though. Sasha isn't "getting the nod". There's literally 0 chance of that happening. I promise that you don't have to worry about that.

lakers4sho
07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Blah Blah Blah

terrible column imo

this

BigGuy951
07-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Fisher will still start. But Blake will get the majority of the minutes. We relaly need to rest Fisher to be efficient the whole year now. He's still clutch, he's still good, but age doesn't lie. It's not like we don't like Fisher, we want him to play less minutes because we want him ready for the playoffs.

Toadman
07-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Uh. Sasha played some point in the past, and like 5 years ago when he came into the league they were trying to groom him to become their PG. Those days are gone though. Sasha isn't "getting the nod". There's literally 0 chance of that happening. I promise that you don't have to worry about that.

I disagree, this season we had both Farmar & Shannon splitting duties at PG
to spell Fish. The coaching staff specifically told Sasha to work on his ball handling skills as he could be asked to handle the point on occasion.
While Blake would be getting the bulk of the minute Fish doesn't get, in case of matchups or injuries I can see Sasha getting a few minutes on occasion.
He's 4 inches taller & a better spot up shooter.

Avenged
07-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Okay, that's exactly what I said but shorter.

No need to get into detail about it.

:p