PDA

View Full Version : Amare: The 100 Million Dollar Man?

JasonJohnHorn
07-06-2010, 10:13 AM
We all know Amare has got this deal done with the Knicks: 100 mil over five years. That 20 mil a season. I am dumbfounded at this deal. I think Amare is a great player, a phenominal offensive player who can shot the mid range jumper, face the basket and create off the dribble and work the post, an amazing repetoire for a big guy. As for rebounding, he's decent, but nothing to write home about, better than some, not as good as others, and when it comes to defence... well.... I think we all know he is no Duncan or Garnett. And there is also the fact that with a solid roster in Phoenix he has failed to lead his team to the big show, and that while his numbers were impressive before Nash came on board, the win totals were not.

We've seen some players depart from Nash and continue to play well (Joe Johnson and Dirk) and others play not so well (Q. Richardson, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw (argueably), and Raja Bell. Amare feeds off of Nash's pick and roll, and in New York he may not have the point guard needed to compliment him.

Coupled with that he has has knee injuries and a fluke eye injury (which I wouldnt expect to be a factory in the future), so my question is: Is Amare really worth 20 mil a season? Is he worth the same figures that guys like Garnett, Duncan, Kobe, and Shaq have gotten in their respective primes? Or are the Knicks over paying for an All-star level player who is a defensive game a a few rebounds away from really being a franchise player?

My opinion is obvious I think. The Knicks are over paying Amare and with that much money they arent leaving much space to bring in other talent. I'm left scratching my head.

Thoughts?

Russell_Roberts
07-06-2010, 10:18 AM
no amare is not worth a max contract. he is not the 2004 amare anymore

J4KOP99
07-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes. They definitely overpaid for Amar'e but you make it seem like their are other options. Look at the market right now. No name players are bringing in serious money so that somewhat justifies the signing. If I am correct, the Knicks still have enough for another max deal. That was their original plan, sign two big time players.

What else are they supposed to do? I believe their thought process was that if they can be the first team to bring in one of the big free-agents, others will follow. If that turns out to be the case, then this situation where the Knicks overpaid will evaporate into nothing.

As of now though, yes they overpaid but when you weigh their options, they didn't really have a choice.

Russell_Roberts
07-06-2010, 10:19 AM
dirk didnt leave nash. nash left dirk

JordansBulls
07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
He is worth more than Joe Johnson is.

Weezy
07-06-2010, 10:22 AM
He is worth more than Joe Johnson is.

I surprised no one wrote their own little thread about Joe Johnsons contract being... overpaid

mikantsass
07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
New York is different. They have such a big market with promotional revenue, tv deals, etc etc they have more money to throw at people than most teams (not just NBA, but NFL, MLB too). No, Amare is not worth that much money, but the New York teams can afford to overpay. Bottom line is that Amare will put fans in the seats with his monsterous dunks and highlight reel plays which is what NY needs. He might not be worth the money, but he is going to translate into increased revenue for the franchise. THE NBA IS A BUSINESS!

The ChILL
07-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Knicks didn't want to walk away empty handed. They are coming away with a very solid player.

With so many teams with huge cap space you knew players were going to get paid handsomely. You could do a lot worse than Amare.

Unruly Fan
He is worth more than Joe Johnson is.This. 115+ mill for JJ is just rediculous...

S-Dot
We had to do something. Haven't made the playoffs since 2004, and haven't had a marquee star in a while. Walsh isn't done this offseason either.

LTBaByyy
07-06-2010, 10:27 AM
If Dirk or Gasol was a legit FA looking for other teams then no he's not worth it...

BUT the Knicks HAD to give him a max!!! What are you talking about??

THis thread is worthless, bc SOME TEAM was gonna give Amare the max!!!!

So the knicks had to....

NYK|NYY
07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Like I said before the Knicks couldn't afford to walk away with nobody so they overpaid for Amare. We still have a slot for another max and then EC's contract will come off the books, he's definitely a step in the right direction imo.

Thisisouryear!!
07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
If Dirk or Gasol was a legit FA looking for other teams then no he's not worth it...

BUT the Knicks HAD to give him a max!!! What are you talking about??

THis thread is worthless, bc SOME TEAM was gonna give Amare the max!!!!

So the knicks had to....

This.

This thread probably started form a bulls nets or miami fan. If they had signed amare they would be singing a diffrent tune...:p

Da Knicks
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Love the move Amare will bring in the next free agent(s).

awmathewsjr
07-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Of course the Knicks overpaid Amare, but this is the year to do so, because with this move they prevented themselves from coming out of this off season empty handed. If Wade signs with Chi town Miami is gonna be left wishing that they overpaid somebody.

S-Dot
07-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Of course the Knicks overpaid Amare, but this is the year to do so, because with this move they prevented themselves from coming out of this off season empty handed. If Wade signs with Chi town Miami is gonna be left wishing that they overpaid somebody.

I really can't imagine what Miami would do if that happened. I doubt it happens, but that would be devastating for them.

maddBat
07-06-2010, 10:41 AM
wont win them a ship but alot better where they wer last season.

Slimsim
07-06-2010, 10:54 AM
See here's the thing Joe was out of the FA market Dirk pierce all resign With their original teams. So now you have Amare,LBJ Wade, Bosh, Boozer and lee. Bosh already complain about NY being to crowded. Bosh and Dwade seems to want to play together LBJ look like he's going to stay home and let say if Chicago snatch amare and Miami Sign Wade and CB4 that leave lee and boozer. And if the Knicks Sign lee after 2 years of waiting it would have been an epic fail and trust me lee would not be getting praise and overrated like he is now.

Raoul Duke
07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
If NY didn't overpay him, someone else would. It's the name of the game this summer. Amare's contract isn't even close to being the worst one given out since Jult 1st.

PrettyBoyJ
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
We all know Amare has got this deal done with the Knicks: 100 mil over five years. That 20 mil a season. I am dumbfounded at this deal. I think Amare is a great player, a phenominal offensive player who can shot the mid range jumper, face the basket and create off the dribble and work the post, an amazing repetoire for a big guy. As for rebounding, he's decent, but nothing to write home about, better than some, not as good as others, and when it comes to defence... well.... I think we all know he is no Duncan or Garnett. And there is also the fact that with a solid roster in Phoenix he has failed to lead his team to the big show, and that while his numbers were impressive before Nash came on board, the win totals were not.

We've seen some players depart from Nash and continue to play well (Joe Johnson and Dirk) and others play not so well (Q. Richardson, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw (argueably), and Raja Bell. Amare feeds off of Nash's pick and roll, and in New York he may not have the point guard needed to compliment him.

Coupled with that he has has knee injuries and a fluke eye injury (which I wouldnt expect to be a factory in the future), so my question is: Is Amare really worth 20 mil a season? Is he worth the same figures that guys like Garnett, Duncan, Kobe, and Shaq have gotten in their respective primes? Or are the Knicks over paying for an All-star level player who is a defensive game a a few rebounds away from really being a franchise player?

My opinion is obvious I think. The Knicks are over paying Amare and with that much money they arent leaving much space to bring in other talent. I'm left scratching my head.

Thoughts?

Kobe got 7yrs $136 Mil in his prime.. and those other guys got better deals then amare did... KG had a $126 Mil, TD got $122 Mil, Rashard Lewis got a better deal then amare $126 Mil.. those contracts are more hefty then Amare $100 mil

FOBolous
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
hands down. no contest.

- he BARELY cracked the top 10 in scoring last year and that's playing in a fast pace offense with a HOF PG setting him up for easy shots. he's wasn't even top 10 in scorer the year before last year

- he is THE worse rebounder in the NBA among all the PFs and Cs who are considered good. He has NEVER averaged 10 rebounds per game his ENTIRE career and he averaged only 8 rebounds per game last season and the season before that.

- he ranked # 22 in double doubles last season

- and it's no secret that he's a terrible defender

- and not to mention the fact that he has two bad knees and his time in the league is probably limited

notice how Phoenix has been trying to get rid of him these past few years? notice how happy Phoenix was to just let him go this year? how happy they are to finally be rid of him? and notice how no other star in the NBA has been trying to convince Amare to join them on a team? yea. all that tells you something.

he's a one trick pony. a one dimensional player. superstar? not even close. savior to a team? don't make me laugh. franchise player? deserve of a max contract? please. As of right now...Amare Stoudemire along with Joe Johnson are THE most overpaid and overrated player in the NBA. their contracts are going to hold their team hostage in a few years, and their respective teams are going to regret signing them to such a large and long contract.

dRa1niNg_ 3s
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Amare is REALLY overrated if it wasnt for Nash spoon feeding him shots and dunks, dude woundt have gotten this contract. Well now hes going to get exposed he doesnt really have a traditional post game so let see what he can do to change that. If i was LeBron or Dwade i woudnt want to play with him, like someone said before you dont hear about LeBron or Dwade wanting to play with Amare.

And the Joe Johnson signing was even worse, i think its safe to say that Rashard Lewis is some what off the hook for having the worst contract in the NBA.

FOBolous
07-06-2010, 12:45 PM
If NY didn't overpay him, someone else would. It's the name of the game this summer. Amare's contract isn't even close to being the worst one given out since Jult 1st.

it's not "the name of the game this summer." it's knicks management being stupid again. there is no competition of Amare. no team in the NBA is fighting over him. Phoenix doesn't want him anymore. Cleveland have express no interest in him. Chicago won't have enough money to offer him the max if they sign Lebron. Miami won't either.

so yea. Knicks front office fails again. but as a Rockets fan, I am happy. Cause if Amare Stodemire is the only FA they get this summer, that means they're probably going to be medicore again next year and that means the 1st round pick we got from them is going to worth a lot :)

NYKalltheway
07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Overpaid? Yes
Worth it? We'll see, probably yes (since he can attract other players)

But he's the 4th or 5th player to become "overpaid", so maybe compared to others and the status quo of the market, he may as well got what he deserved

bkmikeyy
07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Give me Amare over that skinny drama queen that couldn't lead a solid roster in the weakest east we have ever seen to a playoff spot...

Raidaz4Life
07-06-2010, 12:50 PM
it's not "the name of the game this summer." it's knicks management being stupid again. there is no competition of Amare. no team in the NBA is fighting over him. Phoenix doesn't want him anymore. Cleveland have express no interest in him. Chicago won't have enough money to offer him the max if they sign Lebron. Miami won't either.

so yea. Knicks front office fails again. but as a Rockets fan, I am happy. Cause if Amare Stodemire is the only FA they got this summer, that means they're probably going to be medicore again next year and that means the 1st round pick we got from them is going to worth a lot :)

Did I miss something here? Obviously both Miami and Chicago couldn't get Lebron so the other would go for Amare. You clearly have no idea if you do not believe either would have given Amare the max because they would have.

Now I somewhat agree with your rant in the sense that I have been preaching Amare as one of the most overrated big men for years now but at the same time he is a big name and he was going to be offered the max regardless of where he went. The fact of the matter is that Dantoni wanted his guy and he got him. Of course they overpaid for him, so did Boston for Pierce, and Atlanta for JJ. Thats just the name of the game this free agency. Teams don't want to be left with nothing so they overpay for "something".

tjlipford
07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Man, if u are gettin a max contract and your name is not Wade or Lebron then yeah u are overpaid.

I dont understand all the hate towards Amare. I personally think he is better than Bosh. He has a little more experience than Bosh and has made it farther in the playoffs than Bosh. He also holds his own against any big man regardless of what anyone says. He can shoot and is way more explosive than Bosh even after 2 knee surgeries and an eye surgery. Not to say Bosh isnt good but I would personally take Amare.

I think next year he will act a fool. He will put up great numbers in NY.

This is the way the NBA is. So **** it pay the man. The Knicks are in the process of turning there franchise around. How could someone not be happy with Amare Stoudemire is beyond me?

FOBolous
07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Man, if u are gettin a max contract and your name is not Wade or Lebron then yeah u are overpaid.

I dont understand all the hate towards Amare. I personally think he is better than Bosh. He has a little more experience than Bosh and has made it farther in the playoffs than Bosh. He also holds his own against any big man regardless of what anyone says. He can shoot and is way more explosive than Bosh even after 2 knee surgeries and an eye surgery. Not to say Bosh isnt good but I would personally take Amare.

I think next year he will act a fool. He will put up great numbers in NY.

This is the way the NBA is. So **** it pay the man. The Knicks are in the process of turning there franchise around. How could someone not be happy with Amare Stoudemire is beyond me?

i think Amare Stoudemire is going to fail next year. much like how Kenyon Martin suffered the "Jason Kidd effect" when he left for another team, Amare Stoudemire is going to feel the "Steve Nash effect."

Raidaz4Life
07-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Give me Amare over that skinny drama queen that couldn't lead a solid roster in the weakest east we have ever seen to a playoff spot...

I have no earthly idea who you could be talking about.

xabial
07-06-2010, 12:57 PM
If the Knicks make the playoffs without Lebron/Wade/Bosh then he was worth the 20M.

awmathewsjr
07-06-2010, 01:01 PM
i think Amare Stoudemire is going to fail next year. much like how Kenyon Martin suffered the "Jason Kidd effect" when he left for another team, Amare Stoudemire is going to feel the "Steve Nash effect."

Good point, I never thought of it that way. But I still agree with the Knicks front office on this one. I think he's an upgrade from David Lee and he's also good bait for other FAs.

Lo Porto
07-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Nobody is worth $100 million over 5 years, and the next collective bargaining agreement will fix that. But if Amir and Gooden can get their recent contracts, then Amare deserves what he got.

Lakersho
07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
We had to do something. Haven't made the playoffs since 2004, and haven't had a marquee star in a while. Walsh isn't done this offseason either.

hate to say this but i'd have kept lee ,he's not as flashy, no monster dunks, ya i get it ,but if you think stats gonna be the guy to send you deep in the playoffs" forgetaboutit " besides a few espn highlight dunks , lee's stats will probably be better this year than amare's. amare doesn't wear a hard hat and work gloves, he wont do the dirty work that lee does. if you use amare at center he'll get owned b. lo , bogut, hell noah will give him fits. oh ya , and you better get a top tier pg to dish and create if you want those highlights ,unless its a missed def. set , he tends to get lazy. i wont even start on def. at center he plays like a sf , and with the eye and knee injuries he's not gonna get nasty ,say like perk, not even close... i wont start on your coach's lack of use'in def. but anyway "you got a hell of a deal,good sign"...

phoenix_bladen
07-06-2010, 01:41 PM

you seem to forget amare averaged 20 and 8 before nash got to the team?

phoenix_bladen
07-06-2010, 01:43 PM
hate to say this but i'd have kept lee ,he's not as flashy, no monster dunks, ya i get it ,but if you think stats gonna be the guy to send you deep in the playoffs" forgetaboutit " besides a few espn highlight dunks , lee's stats will probably be better this year than amare's. amare doesn't wear a hard hat and work gloves, he wont do the dirty work that lee does. if you use amare at center he'll get owned b. lo , bogut, hell noah will give him fits. oh ya , and you better get a top tier pg to dish and create if you want those highlights ,unless its a missed def. set , he tends to get lazy. i wont even start on def. at center he plays like a sf , and with the eye and knee injuries he's not gonna get nasty ,say like perk, not even close... i wont start on your coach's lack of use'in def. but anyway "you got a hell of a deal,good sign"...

well let's see he got to the western conference finals this year when all the trade rumors should have been a distraction to him.

Sure he palyed with nash but who else they got other than nash that's big name?

Once the knicks get a PG they should be a playoff team with their supporting cast.

and mind you no he wasn't coming here alone the knicks got some bigger plans to get other players to come help him.

Lo Porto
07-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Just like trading Hill, Jeffries, and all those 1st's, NY is doing everything they can to get LeBron. Adding Amare just gave NY the best case they can make to get the King. The only thing left they could do is try to trade Eddy Curry's expiring, Wilson Chandler and cash for whoever is selling in order to get another asset to try to woo LBJ.

It's money well spent if LBJ comes. It's money they might regret in a few years.

what54!?
07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
no but NY had to get someone

Chronz
07-06-2010, 01:54 PM

Ummm Kenyon was the exact same player without Kidd.

netsgiantsyanks
07-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Ummm Kenyon was the exact same player without Kidd.

kind of but he's been injury prone ever since he stepped foot in denver

J4KOP99
07-06-2010, 02:10 PM
kind of but he's been injury prone ever since he stepped foot in denver

That has nothing to do with Jason Kidd though. There was no Jason Kidd effect on Kenyon Martin, he just simply got injured and was on a team where he wasn't one of the main scoring options. ON NJ, it was him and RJ scoring the ball. On Denver it's Carmelo's team and he is not even close to the facilitator that Jason Kidd is/was.

Also, Denver is much deeper, therefore Kenyon doesn't have to carry as much of a load.

hype707
07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
WORST DEAL THE KNICKS COULD DO. WIth no point guard Amare will Quit and he doesnt play D.... bad bad deal

Rivera
07-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Thoughts?

stop complainin

would u rather have amare at 100mil?

or drew gooden at 5 years 32 mil

shoot its better than payin boozer the max which the knicks woulda did if they got shut out of the amare/lebron/wade/bosh/dirk/JJ group

nystandup
07-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Everybody is overhyping Amare's knee injury. Didn't that happen in 2006?

Shady66
07-06-2010, 02:48 PM

I think, but I read somewhere that he needs a manditory surgery on it within a few years I believe. His eye is fine. The hate Amare gets here is ridiculous. Bosh gets so much love, and their basically the same players, Bosh is a better rebounder, Stoudemires a better defender. On offence Bosh can be a black hole, you give it to him, your not going to get it back. Even if theirs nothing going. sorry for this rant but the Amare hate pisses me off. Especially when its clear a lot of people dont even watch him.

Raoul Duke
07-06-2010, 03:04 PM

It depends. Some guys never have to get any follow-up surgeries. His eye actually scares me more than the knee. That's the same injury that put Sugar Ray Leonard out of boxing.

Russell_Roberts
07-06-2010, 03:06 PM
6 years 80 mil ok

JasonJohnHorn
07-06-2010, 03:11 PM
stop complainin

would u rather have amare at 100mil?

or drew gooden at 5 years 32 mil

shoot its better than payin boozer the max which the knicks woulda did if they got shut out of the amare/lebron/wade/bosh/dirk/JJ group

Actually, yeah. I would rather have Drew Gooden at 5 for 32, and also keep Lee and still have enough cap space for TWO more players.

Bottom line is NY has almost nobody on their roster. If they overpay another player that means they will have to recind the rights to their own free agents and leave them with Eddy curry, Amare, whoever else they sign and they wont even have a starting line up let alone a bench.

Gooden can get you a double-double almost every night with starting minutes, and Lee is much the same, and you could likely sign both for the same amount of money they shelled out for Amare, which would leave space to sign a shooting guard and/or point guard and/or small forward.

When NY has to resort to offer vet minimums to fill out their rosters and get no real talent in the process, they will find themselves in much the same situation they have been in the last few years.

chitownbears89
07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
congrats knicks fans you didnt walk away with nothing hopefully the bulls can do the same

AI4MVP
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
knick fans are going to be reallyy disappointed. theyre really excited about this signing becuz its a big name, but by subtracting David Lee, and adding Amar'e Stoudemire, they got worse in my opinion. Amare is a great scorer, but D Lee puts up points along with being a great rebounder and a much better passer.

The Knicks better make some more moves this offseason if they think there gunna make noise. Amare alone wont get it done

Rivera
07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Actually, yeah. I would rather have Drew Gooden at 5 for 32, and also keep Lee and still have enough cap space for TWO more players.

Bottom line is NY has almost nobody on their roster. If they overpay another player that means they will have to recind the rights to their own free agents and leave them with Eddy curry, Amare, whoever else they sign and they wont even have a starting line up let alone a bench.

Gooden can get you a double-double almost every night with starting minutes, and Lee is much the same, and you could likely sign both for the same amount of money they shelled out for Amare, which would leave space to sign a shooting guard and/or point guard and/or small forward.

When NY has to resort to offer vet minimums to fill out their rosters and get no real talent in the process, they will find themselves in much the same situation they have been in the last few years.

lmao this dudes a bird

he rather pay david lee and drew gooden and let them split the 100$ mill

drew goodens that good of a player but hes been on basically every team in the NBA right??

amare = more tix more $$$ more jersey sales more star power and if u think david lee is a better player

and if they split the money on gooden and lee n filled out the roster THEY STILL WOULDNT BE A PLAYOFF TEAM

THE_G.O.A.T.
07-06-2010, 04:44 PM
worst contract ever.

blah-blah
07-06-2010, 04:47 PM
i dont think they overpaid he is a top 3 PF in the game

blah-blah
07-06-2010, 04:48 PM
knick fans are going to be reallyy disappointed. theyre really excited about this signing becuz its a big name, but by subtracting David Lee, and adding Amar'e Stoudemire, they got worse in my opinion. Amare is a great scorer, but D Lee puts up points along with being a great rebounder and a much better passer.

The Knicks better make some more moves this offseason if they think there gunna make noise. Amare alone wont get it done

lee sucks on defense he just got so many rebounds because of the players around him werent good rebounders

THE MTL
07-06-2010, 04:51 PM
People forget about the system. When Porter had his slow system that didnt feature the pick-and-roll...suddenly Amare as well as Nash underachieved! Its about the system and D'Antoni relies HEAVILY on the P&R just look at what he did with David Lee.

At the current moment, we need a PG who can run it though.

THE MTL
07-06-2010, 04:51 PM
lee sucks on defense he just got so many rebounds because of the players around him werent good rebounders

Yeah, but Amare didnt have any rebounders on the Suns either.

koLohe2133
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
what a great message we are sending to the youth in america:

play no defense! grab no rebounds! have a one-dimensional game and be on the top plays every night on sportscenter and you are worth $100 million!!!!

:facepalm: