PDA

View Full Version : Source: Carmelo Anthony Expected to Sign Extension With Nuggets

DenButsu
07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Source: Carmelo Anthony Expected to Sign Extension With Nuggets
Chris Tomasson
Senior NBA Writer

A source with knowledge of the dealings expects that Carmelo Anthony will eventually sign the three-year, $64.47 million extension the Nuggets star forward has on the table.

The source sees no way Anthony would risk leaving that much money on the table. If Anthony opts out of the $18.52 million he is due for the 2011-12 season, he would have to negotiate a new contract as a free agent next summer under a new collective bargaining agreement.

"There's no way he's walking away from that type of money,'' the source said Monday, believing maximum contracts could be curtained sharply under the new CBA.

While this is all speculation, if Anthony were to opt out of his contract and not sign the extension and maximum contracts are capped at $12 million, that would be a loss of $35 million over four seasons. If maximum deals are capped at $14 million, it would be a loss of $27 million during that period.

However, if a new CBA allowed 2011 free agents to still sign for 105 percent of their previous year's salary while lowering maximums immediately for everybody else, Anthony could be protected. However, the source believes the risk might be too great for Anthony to not act on the extension offer.

With the existing CBA due to expire June 30, 2011, the source believes the ball is in Denver's court. With that in mind, the source brought up the possibility of the Nuggets establishing some sort of deadline this offseason for Anthony to accept or reject his contract extension offer. League rules allow Anthony to sign such an extension until June 30, 2011, the same date he must decide whether to opt out of his 2011-12 contract.

Anthony could not be reached Monday. He told FanHouse last month he is willing to be patient regarding signing an extension to see what offseason moves the Nuggets make.

Anthony could sign as soon as Thursday. But his mind is elsewhere this week considering he's getting married Saturday to MTV personality La La Vazquez.

If Anthony signs his contract extension, his 2011-12 year would no longer be a contract option. And he would make $19.45 million in 2012-13, $21.49 million in 2013-14 and $23.53 million in 2014-15.

Also Monday, USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Anthony won't be part of Team USA this summer at the World Championships, but remains in good standing for a spot on the 2012 Olympic team. Anthony had told FanHouse in April he might not play for Team USA this summer due to his marriage.fanhouse

In case some of you may be questioning "Fanhouse" as a source, Chris Tomasson used to write for the Rocky Mountain News, one of the two big papers in Denver before it was shut down a year or two ago. He still lives in Denver, I believe, maintains very close contact with the Nuggets, and remains one of the most reliable sources for Nuggets news and scoops.

Draco
07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Hmm.. the Bulls must have told Melo they wouldn't be interested in picking him up in a year..

j/k :p

BkOriginalOne
07-05-2010, 09:47 PM
The team is not built for Melo in the future.
He really needs to play with a Pg and Big that he can grow with.

R_O_W_E
07-05-2010, 09:50 PM
The team is not built for Melo in the future.
He really needs to play with a Pg and Big that he can grow with.

Everything is clearing up soon.

You cant put a player like Melo with a PG. It just doesn't work. Melo is a perimeter player who needs touches on the perimeter to create for himself kinda like how Dirk is.

numba1CHANGsta
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Nope he wont sign trust he will see his options for next year, the
Nuggets future is in doubt right now, they're coach has been sick and missed the playoffs, Billups and Martin are getting old, Nene isnt a true center, and even though they have some nice young players, it will still take them a while again before they become a championship contender, so bottom line it would be smart
for Melo to wait it out..

DenButsu
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Hmm.. the Bulls must have told Melo they wouldn't be interested in picking him up in a year..

j/k :p

:laugh2: Yes, I'm sure that was his first consideration.

But really, the whole time I've only been considering this news coming being a matter of time.

Above all, Melo's just not the type of guy to leave that kind of money on the table. (In fact, I think he was quoted as saying almost exactly that phrase during the last extension negotiations a few years ago).

Secondly, I think he just loves the limelight. He's not part of this free agency class that's getting the most hype of any in the history of the NBA, but he sees all his buddies from his draft class soaking up the limelight, I'm sure he wants a piece of that himself, to still be a part of the conversation on some level or another. So he's milking it.

But at the bottom of it all, I do think there's actual strategy there in terms of forcing the Nuggets FO to make a big move or two this offseason. I think he would not be satisfied with another status quo offseason this time around, and he wants to use the leveraging power he has to make sure the FO complies with his wishes. Even if he has every intention of taking their offer (and I do believe he does), he has absolutely no incentive to accept it QUICKLY, when biding his time can be used to get more of what he wants.

Still, I'm relieved. :cool:

boolish
07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
this year is about finding out that it's not about winning. it's about maxing out their contracts...odds are wade stays in MIA and BRON stays in CLE. Bosh is working to do a sign and trade to max out his contract. Now I hear Boozer may stay in SLC.

infernoscurse
07-05-2010, 10:01 PM
i think this is fake cause amaure said he and lebron and wade and tony parker and shawn bradley want to play with him in NY

The Dream
07-05-2010, 10:04 PM
There is no doubt Melo wants to test out FA just like the big names this summer. No way he agrees to extend

DenButsu
07-05-2010, 10:08 PM
i think this is fake cause amaure said he and lebron and wade and tony parker and shawn bradley want to play with him in NY

'Melo: No Amar'e pitch yet
Ken Berger

Carmelo Anthony has been taking in all the free-agent news from Los Angeles, where he's been spending much of the offseason working out and mulling a three-year, $65 million extension offer from the Nuggets. In a phone interview with CBSSports.com Monday night, Anthony said he hasn't decided whether to accept the extension -- nor has he heard from Amar'e Stoudemire about possibly joining him in New York as a free agent next summer.

"He was just out here in L.A. with me," Anthony said, "but we never talked about that."cbs (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/23017373?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23017373)

DenButsu
07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
There is no doubt Melo wants to test out FA just like the big names this summer. No way he agrees to extend

Well, why don't you tell us why you're so sure you're right about this, and then I'll tell you why I'm so sure you're wrong, and then we can let the people judge? :cool:

29$JerZ
07-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Good for Denver. Carmelo is a top player worth holding on too.
Now they just need to stay healthy.

cmellofan15
07-05-2010, 10:11 PM
take that JordanBulls and all you Knicks fans :moon:

Go_NUGGETS
07-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Woww....Melo just exposed Amare as a liar. ROFLMAO.

And fans are still delusional, talkin about "I think this is fake", when this info comes from one of the best and most accurate sportswriters in Denver.

pistonsfanomg
07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Not a good source

Fanhouse?

But anyways if this happens then damn... I want him to move on somewhere else. I think he can not win in Denver.

Go_NUGGETS
07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Not a good source

Fanhouse?

But anyways if this happens then damn... I want him to move on somewhere else. I think he can not win in Denver.

It's a very good source, because Chris Tomasson is more closer to the Nuggets then anybody else in the media spewing false rumors.

omdigga
07-05-2010, 10:35 PM
thats good news for denver..
if i were denver i would try to put a S&T together for bosh.. that would help them in the front court and make mello happy

Kakaroach
07-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Awesome news for the Nuggets, but was expected all along really.

Raph12
07-05-2010, 10:37 PM
We should just make a Melo thread...

DenButsu
07-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Not a good source

Fanhouse?

Did you even bother reading my entire post? Chris Tomasson is one of the writers, if not *the* writer with the best Nuggets access there is. :eyebrow:

Sorry, but you just don't know what you're talking about on this one.

td0tsfinest
07-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Somebody lied to Amare.

DenButsu
07-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Somebody lied to Amare.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Who would have lied to Amare, and about what?

------------
edit---

Okay, duh, I was a little slow with this one. You mean Melo lied to Amare and told him he'd go to NY? According to Melo, they never even talked about it.

29$JerZ
07-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Who would have lied to Amare, and about what?

Amar;e stated he talked to Carmelo about joining NY and said he wants too.
Then Carmelo is quoted saying they never talked about such things. So someone is lying or just misunderstood/

DenButsu
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Amar;e stated he talked to Carmelo about joining NY and said he wants too.
Then Carmelo is quoted saying they never talked about such things. So someone is lying or just misunderstood/

My best guess would be that the reporter who reported Amare saying that (can't remember who it was) got his signals crossed.

BigBlueCrew
07-05-2010, 10:49 PM
this year is about finding out that it's not about winning. it's about maxing out their contracts...odds are wade stays in MIA and BRON stays in CLE. Bosh is working to do a sign and trade to max out his contract. Now I hear Boozer may stay in SLC.

Uh...your just know finding this out about athletes?? Have you been living in a shangri la where athletes take lower dollars and play for their home team blah blah blah. Did you see the 1st Arod contract (with the rangers) or the numerous NFL contract disputes and the list goes on and on and on.

td0tsfinest
07-05-2010, 10:49 PM

------------
edit---

Okay, duh, I was a little slow with this one. You mean Melo lied to Amare and told him he'd go to NY? According to Melo, they never even talked about it.

Well I don't know if it was Melo that told Amare but he seemed so certain that Anthony and Tony Parker were going to be New York Knicks. At least thats what I got from the article that was posted in the other thread.