PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Western Confernce in trouble?

dsickich123
07-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Looking into next year, the Western Confernce is losing star after star on great playoff teams, and therre are even more that are rumored to leave. It seems like every trade rumor or free agent signing rumor has a western conference star going to the East...

Look at the playoff teams in the West last year, and some big players that could end up leaving...

1. Lakers (GOOD: once again, have it together)
2. Mavs (GOOD: Seemed as though they could lose Dirk, handled it)
3. Suns (BAD: Goodbye Amare, Nash and Richardson ageing)
4. Denver (BAD: Seemed already to be declining last year, Melo gone?)
5. Jazz (BAD: what happens to Boozer?)
6. Spurs (BAD: old team, Tony Parker rumors?)
7. Portland (GOOD: shoould have everyone back)
8. Thunder (GOOD: future is theirs)

Fringe Playoff Team:

Hornets: (BAD: CP3 rumors?)

Soo...my question is what happens to the Western Confernce if the Majority of these teams lose their top players?

Obviously young teams like Portland and OKC should move up in the standing (maybe each getting home court advantage). But do teaqms like Memphis and Clippers and Houston get their chance?

Also many of the western conference teams seem to be ageing a lot. The Spurs, Suns, Mavs, and even Lakers have most of their best players over the age of 30....

What happens to the Western Conference next year? What happens to the western conference in 2-3 years?

Melo15
07-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't think it will be as big of a deal next year but in around 3 years you'll see new teams up there. Also Denver isn't in that bad of shape as long as they can convince Melo to stay around. Lawson looks like he can be a very valuable point guard down the line, especially getting to learn from Billups.

PHX2daDEATH
07-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Suns won't lose a step..mark my words

BradyIsTheMan12
07-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Suns won't lose a step..mark my words

Sorry but that's just wrong...They may make the playoffs but there is no way they make it to the WCF again.

LTBaByyy
07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Memphis, LA Clips, and Rockets will replace those bad teams you listed!! except for Spurs they will find a way to get to playoffs until TD retires

gbpackers12
07-05-2010, 09:13 PM
The Western Conference will be fine. They have a bunch of teams who can compete.

BradyIsTheMan12
07-05-2010, 09:13 PM
BTW Portland was the 6 seed. If we can stay healthy next year we will be in the top 4 seeds most likely.

blastmasta26
07-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I can see Western Conference getting a little bit weaker overall in a few years as the Eastern Conference strengthens. They should balance out eventually due to this year's FA and the aging of Western Conference teams.

Niro
07-05-2010, 09:18 PM
okc,kings and warriors have really good young players so u think they will step up

JNA17
07-05-2010, 09:18 PM
the east will get stronger for sure along with the west weakening a bit, however, it will be what it has been the last decade or so, West>East (except sometimes all star games)

nuggetsyankees
07-05-2010, 09:19 PM
David Lee would be perect for Phoenix, but if they don't get a guy like him or even Boozer then I don't see them retaining their position

coloradobuff
07-05-2010, 09:20 PM
would like to see nugs make trade..shake that team up

still1ballin
07-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Good I am glad, its about time the power shifted to the east. I am tired of teams that are at .500 or below making it to the playoffs as the 7th/8th seed.

JNA17
07-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Good I am glad, its about time the power shifted to the east. I am tired of teams that are at .500 or below making it to the playoffs as the 7th/8th seed.

that and most of the 9th and 10th seed teams in the west is better then the 5th/6th seed teams in the east :laugh:

hustleloyrspct
07-05-2010, 09:37 PM
i myself see alot of promise in oklaholma city in 3 to 4 years they may be the team to beat in the west but i may be wrong

numba1CHANGsta
07-05-2010, 09:37 PM
OKC, POR, MEM are on the rise so there's enough talent in the West, its just more even now for both conference's

RaiderLakersA's
07-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't see the Western Conference getting weaker. I still think the West still has some of the best young talent in the league and great coaches to help develop them.

cmellofan15
07-05-2010, 10:14 PM
i'm going out on a limb and saying the 10th seed in the west will have a better record than the 6th seed in the east next year.

cmellofan15
07-05-2010, 10:15 PM
also the East isn't getting much better, the only player they took from the west is Amare

Lakersho
07-05-2010, 10:23 PM
also the East isn't getting much better, the only player they took from the west is Amare

...and thats cool ,so when we play n.y. we know that its a cake walk to the rim ,stats def. is laughable. 20 mill. a year for a 22 and 4 guy . west is doing just fine lots of young talented guys that are right there to take the open spot... every team in west playoffs had atleast 50 wins ,so what power shift are you really talking about???

Raph12
07-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Boozer's out, Stat's out, Parker's half-way out, Melo will be out next season and CP3 will be out sooner rather than later. The Blazers and the Thunder will be forces in the near future.

jiggin
07-05-2010, 11:00 PM
West has been the better conference for years. Teams that barely make it into the top 8 in the conference for the west playoffs would be winning their divisions in the east.

a shift of players SHOULD have happened a while ago. This way, the east can beat up on each other...

...west will be fine...in fact, the power is now more evenly spread out instead of mostly west bound.

Jays Claw
07-05-2010, 11:07 PM
The Suns won't lose a step.

With Amare Stoudemire out of the picture, they'll lose a lot. Unless they replace him with either Carlos Boozer or Chris Bosh. However, you and I both know that ain't happening.

THE MTL
07-05-2010, 11:09 PM
West have been LOSING stars for about three years now and it hasnt changed anything except the fact that the East is now winning more Allstar games.

We've gotten guys like: KG, Shaq, etc. and outside the teams the star goes to, the East remains weak.

THE MTL
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM

You forget that teams such as Knicks, Nets, Bulls, and Heat have all been UNDERACHIEVING to brace for this summer.

ABOMB_56
07-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Finally. I'm getting sick of the Eastern Conference's 7th or 8th seed making the playoffs playing about .500 basketball where as every single Western Conference team that made the playoffs won at least 50 games.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-05-2010, 11:35 PM
The Sacramento Kings are on their way back...watch out for them.

Korman12
07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I doubt an East to West power shift will happen immediately, if it does at all. Right now the West is still clearly superior, even with all the rumors floating around about some of their best players.

Things may begin to even out more for both conferences, but the west still owns at least the regular season.

PurpleJesus
07-05-2010, 11:53 PM
i dont think the western conference is in trouble, this is just what happens...teams contend for many years, then they get older, and then a young team steps in and competes for a couple years.

topdog
07-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Spurs were fading but George Hill (the reason Parker may be leaving) and Tiago Splitter should swing things back the other way.

Lakers are still twopeaters - FA doesn't change that.

Utah played well a couple of years ago with Millsap as their main man and could get an S&T out of Boozer.

Mavs will always be an "also-ran" with Cuban.

OKC is progressing.

Portland strikes fear in the hearts of Lakers everywhere.

Clippers and Memphis look to start and finish strong, respectively.

Chris Paul will be back and healthy.

A COUPLE FA's MOVING EASTWARD WILL NOT CHANGE THE BALANCE OF POWER.

PrettyBoyJ
07-06-2010, 12:00 AM
West is still tough.. I dont think there will be any shift of any power yet..

LA_Raiders
07-06-2010, 01:02 AM
About time for the Easy to improve..

soonabooma
07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
The West will be just fine. There are always at least 10 or so teams that are playoff caliber, unfortunately there are never enough spots for everybody. When you have all 8 playoff teams sitting at 50 or more wins, that's some consistency from top to bottom, and that's what you call a guantlet. You just never really know who's gonna be where. A lot of teams that have been really good for years are maybe taking just a small step back while some other young up and coming teams are throwing themselves into the mix. But top to bottom, the East doesn't even come close, and that's not gonna change any time soon regardless of how strong the they may be up at the top. Look at it this way......the Western conference would be like the SEC of the NBA. :cool:

ElMarroAfamado
07-06-2010, 01:16 AM
the thing is i think sorry teams can get better as opposed to good team getting sorrier...
unfortunately for team like the Clippers teams are not going to get worse so they are going to be force to win upwards of 50 games just to make the playoffs....(like a couple years back)

evadatam5150
07-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Looking into next year, the Western Confernce is losing star after star on great playoff teams, and therre are even more that are rumored to leave. It seems like every trade rumor or free agent signing rumor has a western conference star going to the East...

Look at the playoff teams in the West last year, and some big players that could end up leaving...

Fringe Playoff Team:

Soo...my question is what happens to the Western Confernce if the Majority of these teams lose their top players?

Obviously young teams like Portland and OKC should move up in the standing (maybe each getting home court advantage). But do teaqms like Memphis and Clippers and Houston get their chance?

Also many of the western conference teams seem to be ageing a lot. The Spurs, Suns, Mavs, and even Lakers have most of their best players over the age of 30....

What happens to the Western Conference next year? What happens to the western conference in 2-3 years?

1. Lakers (GOOD: once again, have it together) - They're fine
2. Mavs (GOOD: Seemed as though they could lose Dirk, handled it) - They're fine
3. Suns (BAD: Goodbye Amare, Nash and Richardson ageing) - It's not like Amare EVER helped the Suns get where they needed to go to win a Championship so how does his departure to the East Coast hurt the West..??
4. Denver (BAD: Seemed already to be declining last year, Melo gone?) - Hasn't happened yet so this doesn't count..
5. Jazz (BAD: what happens to Boozer?) - Hasn't happened yet so doesn't count. But he's also injury prone and most likely on the decline..
6. Spurs (BAD: old team, Tony Parker rumors?) - Declining player with a few good years left.. I'm not sure, this is most likely a push..
7. Portland (GOOD: shoould have everyone back) - They're fine
8. Thunder (GOOD: future is theirs) - They're fine

This list is flimsy and I can't say I agree with any of it.. Plus we still don't know where Wade, Bosh and that other guy end up so isn't this just a little premature East Coast love hypothesizing.. ??
So really

JiffyMix88
07-06-2010, 01:41 AM
that and most of the 9th and 10th seed teams in the west is better then the 5th/6th seed teams in the east :laugh:

the top 4 teams in the east were better then then 2-8 in the west

lakerfan3118
07-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Why has no one mentioned the Houston Rockets? They have a solid core in Brooks, Martin and Ariza and if all goes well, have a healthy Yao Ming at their disposal as well. They have a decent starting lineup and could potentially contend for a lower seed in the WCF going forward.

Lakersho
07-06-2010, 01:56 AM

...cant agree at all , take the thunder, 8th seed this year out west. 50 wins not tryin to start anything but, in the playoffs they played better than all the teams in the east except celtics , i'm not sayin they are better than cavs and magic at the beginning of the year , i'm sayin playoffs ,cavs or magic would've had thier hands full the way both of them played... celtics would've beat 'em i'd put even money on thunder against anyone else... get mad all you want they brought it and played better than i thought they could...

JiffyMix88
07-06-2010, 02:04 AM
...cant agree at all , take the thunder, 8th seed this year out west. 50 wins not tryin to start anything but, in the playoffs they played better than all the teams in the east except celtics , i'm not sayin they are better than cavs and magic at the beginning of the year , i'm sayin playoffs ,cavs or magic would've had thier hands full the way both of them played... celtics would've beat 'em i'd put even money on thunder against anyone else... get mad all you want they brought it and played better than i thought they could...

ok 2-7 even though i disagree that the thunder would of beat the cavs or the magic but w/e its only speculation anyways we'll never know

WolvesJagsOs
07-06-2010, 02:14 AM
...and thats cool ,so when we play n.y. we know that its a cake walk to the rim ,stats def. is laughable. 20 mill. a year for a 22 and 4 guy . west is doing just fine lots of young talented guys that are right there to take the open spot... every team in west playoffs had atleast 50 wins ,so what power shift are you really talking about???

Not a NY fan at all, just was reading through the comments and saw you said Amare is 22/4. IDK if any1 caught you with this, but he was 23.7/8.9 last year I am pretty sure. Lol, he might not have been worth max, but he is a great add in even though David lee had better numbers...

Lakersho
07-06-2010, 02:24 AM
ok 2-7 even though i disagree that the thunder would of beat the cavs or the magic but w/e its only speculation anyways we'll never know

...it would be cool if we could really know by'em playin, like i said i wasn't tryin to start anything ,they were just one skilled center away from problems for us . i say what i'm sayin because they are a matchup nightmare except at center. if ron ron wouldn't have beat the shite out of durant who knows??? this year barring injuries they could be a two or at least three seed... and no i'm not high they are better than most people think...

Mudvayne91
07-06-2010, 02:34 AM
People seem to forget the Nuggets were the 2nd seed for the longest time before Kmart was injured and more importantly, Coach Karl leaving the team due to Cancer treatment. I don't think many if any teams last year would've been successful without their head coach. On a positive note, it looks like Karl will be back.

Lakersho
07-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Not a NY fan at all, just was reading through the comments and saw you said Amare is 22/4. IDK if any1 caught you with this, but he was 23.7/8.9 last year I am pretty sure. Lol, he might not have been worth max, but he is a great add in even though David lee had better numbers...

...thats my point , lee has better tangables just not as tall , but lee at least tries to play def. not bashin stat at all just been watchin him play for a while. the stats i gave on amre i'm talking about in playoffs against a team that has defensive center... reg. season doesn't matter , your not playin against the pacers in the ec finals the teams 1 thru 5 in the east thier centers will give him problems, mark my words... knicks better get a center and play stat at pf or they'll go nowhere...

CalJo1617
07-06-2010, 02:51 AM

Fringe Playoff Team:

Kobe 31
Pau 29
Ron 30
Lamar 30
Andrew 22 :speechless:

besides drew of course, i would consider that "prime" years....not old age :laugh2:

BoltLakerPadre
07-06-2010, 03:05 AM
First of all, we watched this very same thing happen over the last decade plus, with the West gaining the momentum. And what happened, 8 of the last 11 Championships have been won by the West. And next year has the Lakers as the early favorites to win it again.

If your question lies in regular season victories, East vs West, the tables may be turning, but the NBA is a cyclical league and that's bound to happen. But there are still great teams in the West.

Let's not forget, a .500 team (the Bulls) made the playoffs in the East, while all the teams in the West had at least 50 wins. 50 wins got you HCA for the first round in the East.

So while the shift may be happening, it will just cause some parity, which will be good, since the East has been pretty woeful for a while now.

xabial
07-06-2010, 03:18 AM
David Lee would be perect for Phoenix, but if they don't get a guy like him or even Boozer then I don't see them retaining their position

That makes sense. David's averaged most of the 20.2 points from the pick and roll with Chris Duhon as his PG. If Steve Nash is his PG... then the results would be unthinkible... Plus it kinda would be like the Artest/Ariza swap last season with the Lakers/Rockets. Not to mention he's cheaper too. I wouldnt be surprised.

S-Dot
07-06-2010, 08:46 AM
This is a great thread in my opinion. I thought about this when I saw all these Eastern Conference teams saving up money during the season. Every FA plus every rumored player (like Melo or CP3) are looking to be sent East. The West next year will belong to LA Lakers or Dallas, but there aren't any more championship contenders pass that in my opinion. Things should come around in a couple of years though.

nuggetsyankees
07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
The Nuggets said that there is "zero chance" that they'd trade Melo so using that as a reason for the Nuggets to get worse isn't legit

S-Dot
07-06-2010, 10:17 AM
The Nuggets said that there is "zero chance" that they'd trade Melo so using that as a reason for the Nuggets to get worse isn't legit

As much I love Melo's game, that team has to make moves to be considered a championship contender. They'll be legit, but they aren't title contenders right now.

evadatam5150
07-06-2010, 05:48 PM

Emmmmmmmmm NOPE... There's really no way to prove that.. West won the title yet again so using that logic I could make just as silly a statement and claim that due to this the West had the top four teams by virtue of elimination.. Ridiculous..