PDA

View Full Version : Shaq Weighing Offer From Hawks

JordansBulls
07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Link (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/05/shaq-weighing-offer-from-hawks-to-join-johnson/)

he re-signing of Joe Johnson might not be the only big splash the Atlanta Hawks make this summer.

Free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal is seriously considering a two-year deal with the Hawks that starts at the mid-level exception of $5.8 million, according to NBA sources close to both the team and the future Hall of Fame player.

O'Neal, whose past season in Cleveland with LeBron James ended in disappointment, has been working out the past two weeks in Orlando, where he makes his offseason home.

Johnson, over the weekend, agreed to sign with the Hawks for the six-year, $119 million maximum allowable contract with the Hawks. Free-agent signings can't begin until July 8. Johnson was told by management that the Hawks intended to make significant changes to their roster, including the possible addition of O'Neal.

"I think he wants to see how everything shakes out with all the free agents, but he's seriously considering Atlanta's offer,'' said the source who asked that his name not be used. "He wants to play two more years, and he wants it to be with a contender. He thinks he can help them become a serious one.''

JNA17
07-05-2010, 08:32 PM
hawks with a real center this time?

PG: Mike Bibby
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Al Horford
C: Shaq

Even though Josh Smith is a limited shooter, i like this lineup much better

zae316
07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Shaq doesn't fit their style of play, he would slow them down.

Hellcrooner
looks good they hodl also try to use their matching rights and get Childress back for some shooting at SF.yes tey still have his rights and yes he is a FA this year and yes he has IMPROVED his game fundmentlas in greece.I dont get why no one has made him an offer yet ....

ugafan

We'd be using him for the same reason the Cavs got him: to body Dwight.

I like the lineup quite a bit, Jamal Crawford and Marvin Williams off the bench.

Melo15
07-05-2010, 08:34 PM
He could make them a very dangerous playoff team

THE MTL
Good move but it still doesnt win a championship and Shaq def has to take a more active role on this team as opposed to the Cavs.

Shaq DEF ISNT about the money and I still says he goes to the team that wins big in free agency that still offers him a decent amount of playing time (starting role most likely). Shaq never has came off the bench in this entire career.

LTBaByyy
I actually like it!!! lol

bibby
jj
smith
horford
shaq

williams
crawford
childress?
zaza
teague

Raidaz4Life
07-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Well that could work...

ManRam
07-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't think he gets them over the hump, but he's still a serviceable big body. It would be a good fit for both parties.

Sixerlover
07-05-2010, 08:36 PM
At this point in his career, Shaq looks good almost anywhere on paper, but in the game he is a bit of a liability. Although he does sure up any team's interior defense.

drobe86
07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Shaq is old, fat and garbage. That would be a total waste of 5.8 million.

marlinsfan24
07-05-2010, 08:38 PM
It wont make the Hawks a title contender, but a good move with the limited amount of centers out there.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
The Hawks play a fast game though. I don't see how this helps them.

I love Shaq but he's best at a half court set.

LTBaByyy
07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
but wouldnt haywood fit them better? for a long term center

atleast 5+ years instead of 2

lakers4sho
07-05-2010, 08:42 PM
OMGZ ZE HAWKZ ARE GETTING SHAQ

...big whoopty doo...

69centers
07-05-2010, 08:47 PM
For a team that relies on the fast break and transition points, he would certainly bog them down.

Hellcrooner
07-05-2010, 08:48 PM
mmm midcourt.

you knwo where shaq would be dangerous? Portland

JNA17
07-05-2010, 08:51 PM
but wouldnt haywood fit them better? for a long term center

yes he would fit much much better, however, the possibility of the hawks getting him are slim. Chances are he's resigning with the mavs. With that said though i would not be surprised if Haywood changed his mind.

howiend
07-05-2010, 08:53 PM
shaq is very motivated to catch up with kobe with championship rings so i think he will sign with the very best team that he can after wade, lebron, etc. decide where they are going

Burkey3472
07-05-2010, 08:56 PM
It will at least prevent Howard from shooting 80% from the field.

#1chickhearnfan
07-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Yeah the Suns would agree with that

D Roses Bulls
07-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Link (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/05/shaq-weighing-offer-from-hawks-to-join-johnson/)

good, we can see dwight own shaq four times a year.

BkOriginalOne
07-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Mavericks will still get him.

still1ballin
07-05-2010, 09:08 PM
LOL wow!

KnicksorBust
07-05-2010, 09:08 PM
It will at least prevent Howard from shooting 80% from the field.

Exactly. Then Horford gets to play PF where he belongs. The Hawks deserve some credit for making moves. Just when everyone was ready to write them off, they (over) spend the big bucks to keep their franchise player and are now looking to bring in a big man to help them battle the East elite... and really what player is out there for MLE that would help them more from getting swept by the Magic? I like it and hope it happens.

Jays Claw
07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
They should look to sign either Jermaine O'Neal or Brendan Haywood. In my opinion, either would fit in with the Hawks' system quite well. However, it's a tough sell considering thier history of being injured.

kblo247
07-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Shaq must be getting senile in his old age.

Joe Johnson signed the 2nd biggest contract of all the wing players in the NBA, but that doesn't make him the next great wing player for Shaq to piggyback on.

Durant or Carmelo should be your choice, The Big Journeyman.

I only like the move because Horford and Smith move down to the 4 and the 3. JO would still be a better choice though in all honesty.

#1chickhearnfan
07-05-2010, 09:17 PM
You know its to bad, The hawks have good team on paper. If they a very good coach they could some damage in east. Woodson was just not cutting it.

m26555
07-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Shaq would not fit in with the Hawks AT ALL, in my opinion. They are a running team, and he'd just slow them down.

R_O_W_E
07-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Shaq must be getting senile in his old age.

Joe Johnson signed the 2nd biggest contract of all the wing players in the NBA, but that doesn't make him the next great wing player for Shaq to piggyback on.

Durant or Carmelo should be your choice, The Big Journeyman.

:laugh2:

I love that nickname.

Hawks arent a good fit for Shaq. He should join up with Boston.

coloradobuff
07-05-2010, 09:19 PM
shaq got bad fast

blastmasta26
I don't think the Hawks are going anywhere in the playoffs soon with Shaq there. The Hawks should push and play up tempo, so pursuing Shaq is not the best option for them.

PHX2daDEATH
I don't think Shaq slowed us down.. I've said it before I would of loved to have him in the playoffs against L.A. for his rebounding. I want to ask the 2 or 3 Hawks fans on PSD if they think Joe Johnson's Max contract spells doom for Hortford in ATL.. What if Big Al has a better year then last year and pretty much becomes the main player on the team while JJ shows decline... then Al wants a max contract too?

m26555
07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't think Shaq slowed us down.. I've said it before I would of loved to have him in the playoffs against L.A. for his rebounding. I want to ask the 2 or 3 Hawks fans on PSD if they think Joe Johnson's Max contract spells doom for Hortford in ATL.. What if Big Al has a better year then last year and pretty much becomes the main player on the team while JJ shows decline... then Al wants a max contract too?
Shaq has aged even more since his Phoenix days.

Allstar21
07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
shaq is smelly

i think they would be much better off with heywood than shaq
Clevelands best lineup was when anderson varajiao was at C...not shaq

JayHunter
07-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Shaq would slow any team down.

*Silver&Black*
07-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Is there anything the Hawks do that you all don't hate?

Shaq signing would just be for Howard match-ups and a name for sales. It isn't like we are maxing him either.

And when do we ever play up-tempo? We should, but we never played up-tempo offense. We play half-court.:facepalm:

Also, Marvin, Bibby, and maybe Smith is on the block, so we will have a new line-up next year anyways.

zambo4president
07-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I definitely like their chances with Shaq rather than their chances without him I'll say that.

RaiderLakersA's
07-05-2010, 09:44 PM
The only teams that Shaq could "help" are the Magic, the Lakers, the Celtics, the Cavs, and maybe the Spurs -- in short, teams that already know how to get to the Finals without him. At this stage of his career he's no longer a game changer, he's a stop-gap. It would be sacrilege to see a former Laker go to the Celtics, but that's probably the best place for him right now.

numba1CHANGsta
07-05-2010, 09:46 PM
isnt Shaq like 38? is he still worth that much money? im pretty sure after all the big name free agents sign he will end up with one of them somewhere since most of those teams will still have money to spend but i dont see Shaq as a starter anymore he is better off coming off the bench

Cromedome
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Win a ring ...for the Joe?

*Silver&Black*
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
isnt Shaq like 38? is he still worth that much money? im pretty sure after all the big name free agents sign he will end up with one of them somewhere since most of those teams will still have money to spend but i dont see Shaq as a starter anymore he is better off coming off the bench

1. It's the MLE that will be spent. What player is better than Shaq out there worth the MLE that can help the Hawks in size and money maker?

2. Shaq could be a guy off the bench for us. This rumored signing is mostly because we got swept by the Magic. We need size.

3. If it was anyone but the Hawks, will this be better news for everyone? Last I check, we were 3rd seed in the East last year, and still top 3 until someone shows otherwise in standings. An Amare/Knicks signing isn't going to knock us out of the top part of the East.

Shaq/Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford/Josh Smith/Al Horford/Marvin Williams/Jordan Crawford/Mike Bibby/Jeff Teague/Zaza is better depth than any East team not named the Magic.

omdigga
07-05-2010, 10:10 PM
i love shaq.. if atl picls him up they are picking up a warrior.. yeah hes older... but hes a champ.. and hes still huge... no matter what you need a big body in the east to deal with howard..
i like it for the hawks..

*Silver&Black*
07-05-2010, 10:15 PM
NBATV has said, ATL is NOT wanting to move Horford to PF. So it looks like Josh Smith at PF, Horford at C, and Shaq off the bench. That is what the reports are. So now do the haters like this idea?

We just needed a rotational center to help out with the Magic games. What better big man than Shaq.

Don't know if he will take a bench role though. So we will find out.

97NYer
07-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Bibby/Teague
JJ/Craw
Josh Smith/Marvin Wil
Horford
Shaq/Zaza

pistonsfanomg
07-05-2010, 10:27 PM
He could make them a very dangerous playoff team

x2 when I seen that lineup I was like woah lmao

DaoudS
07-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Bibby/Teague
JJ/Craw
Josh Smith/Marvin Wil
Horford
Shaq/Zaza

More importantly, team will not move Al Horford to power forward under any current scenarios. On the blog on NBA.com: http://bit.ly/asozwZ
http://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/17834511220

Kakaroach
07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
When Joe Johnson said he was gonna recruit he wasn't kidding. But the real question is how many minutes can Shaq play a game.

Raph12
07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
This would be a great deal for them, get it done guys.

PraiseJesus
07-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Shaq needs to sign with the Spurs or some team that plays half court not transition mostly

numba1CHANGsta
07-05-2010, 10:39 PM
1. It's the MLE that will be spent. What player is better than Shaq out there worth the MLE that can help the Hawks in size and money maker?

2. Shaq could be a guy off the bench for us. This rumored signing is mostly because we got swept by the Magic. We need size.

3. If it was anyone but the Hawks, will this be better news for everyone? Last I check, we were 3rd seed in the East last year, and still top 3 until someone shows otherwise in standings. An Amare/Knicks signing isn't going to knock us out of the top part of the East.

Shaq/Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford/Josh Smith/Al Horford/Marvin Williams/Jordan Crawford/Mike Bibby/Jeff Teague/Zaza is better depth than any East team not named the Magic.

1. haywood? miller?
2. Probably but knowing Shaq he will want to start knowing there isnt a big name center on the Hawks roster
3. Shaq is still waiting on the other big name free agents

Hawks have a lot of talent dont get me wrong, im just saying theres better options for the right price, why go with an old broken down Shaq?

Raph12
07-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Shaq needs to sign with the Spurs or some team that plays half court not transition mostly

Shaq on the Spurs would be pretty beast, it would allow them to challenge the Lakers.

_KB24_
07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Does Shaq not give a **** about his legacy? He's jumping teams like Tiger changes women. :rolleyes:

robdizzle3
07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Like most of you, this seems like a good deal. This moves Al back to his natural postion and if they wnated, could make Josh Smith expendable, if he cant play the 3 or have him off the bench with Crawford. A big problem for them was they were so small, but another was they couldnt play team balla nd went one on one with everybody.

3RDASYSTEM
07-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Someone said Shaq got ''bad'' fast....yea i imagine any player since 92-93 dominating against Hakeem/Ewing/Duncan/Robinson/Yao/Howard and deep multiple playoff runs would be pretty much out of the league, give the big dude a break..he was such a freak athlete, he avg 12 and 7 playing a half last season(any player would take those numbers for a half anytime anywhere),im sure he could play 30-32min. come playoff time for any team and be a factor, he's a playoff player now,not reg.season anymore,and really never was cause he was always loafin til the playoffs came around,especially in L.A.

reffahead
07-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Actually the hawks really aren't a running team. Josh and al are the ones that mainly initiated the break while bibby, johnson, and williams like to jog up the court for iso joe.

Shaqtus only plays 20 effective minutes a game. He will only be used to protect leads and what not. The j. smith./a. horford combo is actually one of the better tandems in the league, it's just when you go against the bynum/gasols of the league is where we need help.

reffahead
07-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Does Shaq not give a **** about his legacy? He's jumping teams like Tiger changes women. :rolleyes:

The gms are the ones trading him around, he would actually choose to sign with the hawks.

LA_Raiders
07-06-2010, 12:26 AM

not bad at all...

jackdawson
07-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Shaq is old, fat and garbage. That would be a total waste of 5.8 million.

Yet he might end up on your team. Mark Cuban has had a man crush on him for years.

IversonIsKrazy
07-06-2010, 02:29 AM
If they DO get Shaq, they should trade J-Smoove for a legitimate PG. Bibby is too old now. And have BIbby and the two Crawfords off the bench. With Marvin still starting.

JiffyMix88
07-06-2010, 02:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUZGdi7Ty4

JUST FOR SHAQ

*Silver&Black*
07-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Could Joe Johnson and Shaq be enough to talk a certain someone into a sign and trade here? Atlanta is a big market. Just saying. Cavs would have to be willing to trade him for Josh Smith/Marvin/Al/Jamal/Bibby combo. Best sign and trade pieces I can see from a team. Say Jamal, Marvin and one of Horford or Smith.

Jeff Teague/Bibby
Joe Johnson/Jordan Crawford (guy who dunked on Lebron is his new teammate)
Lebron James
Josh Smith or Al Horford
Shaq/Zaza

JiffyMix88
07-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Could Joe Johnson and Shaq be enough to talk a certain someone into a sign and trade here? Atlanta is a big market. Just saying. Cavs would have to be willing to trade him for Josh Smith/Marvin/Al/Jamal/Bibby combo. Best sign and trade pieces I can see from a team. Say Jamal, Marvin and one of Horford or Smith.

Jeff Teague/Bibby
Joe Johnson/Jordan Crawford (guy who dunked on Lebron is his new teammate)
Lebron James
Josh Smith or Al Horford
Shaq/Zaza

sure is i could definitely see this happening

JordansBulls
07-06-2010, 08:10 AM
If they DO get Shaq, they should trade J-Smoove for a legitimate PG. Bibby is too old now. And have BIbby and the two Crawfords off the bench. With Marvin still starting.

Not sure what they can get for Smith at this point.