PDA

View Full Version : Defensive force Serge Ibaka injured in meaningless Summer League game...

dsickich123
07-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Serge Ibaka of the Oklahoma City Thunder got tangled up in a play in the 3rd quarter of the Orlando Summer League today. I could not tell how the injury happened, but he was in a lot of pain, and it looked to be an ankle or knee injury. Ibaka was having trouble walking off the court.

This league is usually met for undrafted players and rookies...but on the Thunder squad is Eric Maynor, James HArden, BJ Mullens, and Serge Ibaka.

Bad news for the OKC Thunder...

ChiSox219
07-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Serge Ibaka of the Oklahoma City Thunder got tangled up in a play in the 3rd quarter of the Orlando Summer League today. I could not tell how the injury happened, but he was in a lot of pain, and it looked to be an ankle or knee injury. Ibaka was having trouble walking off the court.

This league is usually met for undrafted players and rookies...but on the Thunder squad is Eric Maynor, James HArden, BJ Mullens, and Serge Ibaka.

Bad news for the OKC Thunder...

I wouldn't call in meaningless and I think Ibaka belongs there. It's a great opportunity for young players to improve there game and get a higher usage than they ever would in the regular season. It sucks that he got hurt, and I really hope it isn't serious because I think he could be a fringe all-star in the future.

phlp_bj
07-05-2010, 08:07 PM
he'll be fine. summer leagues are for rookies/sophomores/guys who need help/undrafted guys trying to earn a spot. they'll all be ready for the season this way

Melo15
07-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I like that they all play in the summer league. Its shows that they love the game and want to get better. Not only that, it gives them a chance to get more reps together in a game speed environment. It sucks Ibaka got hurt but I agree that he belongs there too.

LTBaByyy
07-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't call in meaningless and I think Ibaka belongs there. It's a great opportunity for young players to improve there game and get a higher usage than they ever would in the regular season. It sucks that he got hurt, and I really hope it isn't serious because I think he could be a fringe all-star in the future.

He's good but fringe all star????

and in the western conference???? :facepalm:

ManRam
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I was surprised Harden was playing...and to a lesser extent those other guys you listed. I do think playing Serge was the right idea. He has a lot to improve upon.

Hopefully he's okay. That would be really sad if he wasn't. I'm an Ibaka fan.

ChiSox219
07-05-2010, 08:20 PM

It's way to early to think it's impossible, another misuse of the facepalm.

DerekRE_3
07-05-2010, 08:25 PM
They talked to him after the game and he said he was fine.

dsickich123
07-05-2010, 08:25 PM

He did not say next year, he said in the future...

I am a Thunder fan, so call this homer talk, but i somewhat agree with him...

If you watch Ibaka play he is exploding with potential, he is suuuper athletic, plays great defense, and is developing a jumper...

The guy also can still not drink alcohol. He is a man child at 20 years old.

I think that besides westbrook and durant, Ibaka could become the third best player on this young OKC roster. Obviously Durant is an all-star for years to come, and Westbrook definantly is on his way.

Ibaka may never be an all-star. But in 2-3 years...I could see him averaging something like 10-12ppg, 10-12 rpg, and 3-4 blocks a game.

ManRam
07-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't think "fringe all star in the future" is facepalm-worthy. Not at all.

Melo15
07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
He did not say next year, he said in the future...

I am a Thunder fan, so call this homer talk, but i somewhat agree with him...

If you watch Ibaka play he is exploding with potential, he is suuuper athletic, plays great defense, and is developing a jumper...

The guy also can still not drink alcohol. He is a man child at 20 years old.

I think that besides westbrook and durant, Ibaka could become the third best player on this young OKC roster. Obviously Durant is an all-star for years to come, and Westbrook definantly is on his way.

Ibaka may never be an all-star. But in 2-3 years...I could see him averaging something like 10-12ppg, 10-12 rpg, and 3-4 blocks a game.

I absolutely agree with you, I just hope you guys can keep that team together for a while the sky's the limit for them.

dsickich123
07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I absolutely agree with you, I just hope you guys can keep that team together for a while the sky's the limit for them.

I really hope so too. As crazy as this is, I was a DIE HARD sonics fan. As much as part of me wants to hate this franchise, i just cant. I love everything about it (except for the part that it is not in Seattle.) Dont get me started on Clay Bennett...

Anyways...I agree with you. As I think everyone else does as well. If they can somehow keep this team together for the next 5-6 years, I expect them to win a championship or two. The potential and chemistry of this team is something that I do not know if the NBA has EVER seen.

Durant is the perfect player to be leading this young team. The great thing is, the whole team, including Durant, is full of hard-working genuwine guys.

This team does everything together off the court and consider themselves "family." Durant is the key to this chemistry, making a point to get everyone together. They often walk home from away games, and always travel to each others places in the summer. As you may have seen, Durant even went to Orlando with Westbrook to encourage his Summer League team. No other stars in the League made the trip.

These players do not want to be split up more than anything, and if it comes down to it, I could see many players on this roster (including Durant and Westbrook) taking less money in order to keep this "family" together...

69centers
07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
It looked like an ankle roll. Might miss the rest of the summer league, but didn't look bad enough to affect the regular season unless it did have something to do with his knee.

Hellcrooner
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
1 he can developo into an allsar someday

2 pity and shame on burocrats if he had his spanish parssport ready he woudl be preparing for the WC with team spain instead of losing time in the summer league.

3 hope he gets well soon go dknows Pau wont last forever.

still1ballin
07-05-2010, 08:51 PM
oh oh!

dsickich123
07-05-2010, 09:01 PM
1 he can developo into an allsar someday

2 pity and shame on burocrats if he had his spanish parssport ready he woudl be preparing for the WC with team spain instead of losing time in the summer league.

3 hope he gets well soon go dknows Pau wont last forever.

ummmm....? Pau Gasol? Spain? Has nothing to do with this thread?

Hellcrooner
07-05-2010, 09:10 PM
ummmm....? Pau Gasol? Spain? Has nothing to do with this thread?

Sege IbaKa Born in Africa Came to Spain as an early teen to play basktball playe din the lower spanish divisions and then in the pors in Hospitalet and Manresa.
He is currently waiting for the papers he signed and filed to get spanish nationality to play for TEAM SPAIN.

In his own words " i cme from africa here as a starving teen and they made me a Man and a basetball player i owe somethign to spain and i will give it back to it by playing on its national team"

So yes it has something to do.

PHX2daDEATH
07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
i've been watching the Summer League... Most impressive player so far-- Lance Stephenson