PDA

View Full Version : Do These Ridiculous Contracts Nullify Managements Lockout Argument?

Tony_Starks
07-05-2010, 06:10 PM
So we all know the GM's position is basically they need more money back from the players and whatever because everyone is supposedly in the red but in the mean time:

Amir Johnson- (career avg 4pts 4boards) $34 million deal

Channing Frye- $30 million deal

DARKO "Upside" MILICIC!!!!!- $20 million deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Salmons- $40 million deal

Rudy Gay- Maxed out, yes maxed out, at $82milli

Not to mention Joe Johnson .... and on and on and on.

Now this is all being done by teams who "claim" to be losing money hand over fist. In fact Phoenix is so cheap they wanted Steve Kerr and staff to all come back at paycuts.

Is it just me or does something not add up? How can they be handing out this kinda money and dare say they're not coming out on top?

ChiSox219
07-05-2010, 06:32 PM
You could say it strengthens Stern's position, the Owners/GMs need to be saved from themselves.

I don't mind the guys getting $30 million long term deals, most of them you could justify in some manner and it's not that much money when you are taking about the revenues of an NBA team. $6 million is a little more than 10% of the cap and you usually only need 8-10 players in your rotation. The contracts like Amare and Joe Johnson are about to sign, those have disaster potential even if both stay healthy.

I like the idea of the NFL, signing bonus guaranteed and doesn't count toward the cap but can only be a portion of overall salary. I know players and agents will disagree but it's the best solution in a league.

Tony_Starks
07-05-2010, 06:46 PM
^Yeah but in a sense you're making my point. If these guys are foolish enough to hand out these bloated contracts shouldn't they be responsible for the repercussions? Nobody is putting a gun to their head.

To me it just doesn't seem fair to make poor business decisions and then later say "hey you guys have to give some of that back, we're losing money over here!" Its on them to run their franchise properly.

xabial
07-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Unguarenteed contracts like the nfl!!!!

ChiSox219
07-05-2010, 08:26 PM
^Yeah but in a sense you're making my point. If these guys are foolish enough to hand out these bloated contracts shouldn't they be responsible for the repercussions? Nobody is putting a gun to their head.

To me it just doesn't seem fair to make poor business decisions and then later say "hey you guys have to give some of that back, we're losing money over here!" Its on them to run their franchise properly.

It's not fair that they have pay a guy the full $100 million when he gets hurt, doesn't perform, shows up to the locker room toting guns, or does all three.

Allstar21
07-05-2010, 09:20 PM
nfl contracts are insulting to the players

i hope the NFL locks out when their CBA comes up until the players get more guaranteed money

People play a game where physical contact (the NBA i mean) is a side effect of playing...i don't want players only giving 25% effort because they know if they get hurt they will get cut....that would make for a terrible league

i would however be in favor of more incentive-laden contracts (wins, playoff wins, championships, etc)

Sixerlover
07-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Unguarenteed contracts like the nfl!!!!

We won't have basketball for another 3 years if that is what the league is pushing for. No way the players association will EVER accept that.

JNA17
07-05-2010, 09:24 PM
nfl contracts are insulting to the players

i hope the NFL locks out when their CBA comes up until the players get more guaranteed money

People play a game where physical contact (the NBA i mean) is a side effect of playing...i don't want players only giving 25% effort because they know if they get hurt they will get cut....that would make for a terrible league

i would however be in favor of more incentive-laden contracts (wins, playoff wins, championships, etc)

i agree 100% especially the last part of the post. If money is what you want, then win me some games/championships and your reward will be great.

Allstar21
07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
the only thing that people have to be careful about with incentive-laden contracts is making the benchmarks points or other stats

i don't want to see monta ellis just taking 1000000 shots a game so he can hit his point benchmark and get his extra $$$$

it would work great if players were rewarded like this

Salary per year = X
1st playoff seed - .5X +X
2nd playoff seed - .4X + X
|
|
|
V
8th playoff seed - .05X + X

say a player makes 1 million a year and is the number one seed for the playoffs
he would get 1,000,000 + 500,000 for a total of making 1.5 mil

Then it could be an extra 1% for each playoff game won in the first round, 2% for the second and a huge bonus for winning the nba championship

This would make it so the players that won would get paid and the teams that have the money (since they won and therefore had more playoff games) would be able to afford to pay that money