PDA

View Full Version : Scott Down's Trade Value, Type A Free Agent 2 Picks in 2011 Draft

BlueJayCarter
07-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Toronto Blue Jays Rumors

Scott Downs' Trade Value
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 5, 2010 at 10:52am CST]
There's always demand for quality left handers at the trade deadline, but this year, they're in short supply. Bruce Chen, Will Ohman and Javier Lopez could probably be acquired and Alan Embree and Scott Schoeneweis could be signed as free agents. There are not many left-handers to choose from, and that only increases Scott Downs' trade value.

The Blue Jays, below .500 after a June-long slump, would presumably listen on Downs, who hits free agency after the season. The 34-year-old lefty has an affordable $4MM salary and some impressive stats. In 35.1 innings, he has a 2.80 ERA with 7.1 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9. He is allowing less than one hit per inning pitched and boasts a characteristically high 55% ground ball rate. He's arguably the best left-handed reliever available this summer.

The Blue Jays have no reason to settle for anything less than a highly-touted prospect. Not only is Downs pitching well, he now ranks as a Type A free agent in the latest Elias rankings. That means the Jays can obtain two high picks in next year's draft if Downs turns down an offer of arbitration to sign elsewhere. We can't assume that the Blue Jays are willing to offer Downs arbitration, but they have just $39MM committed to next year's payroll, so paying Downs $5MM or so in 2011 appears possible under the team's budget.

Essentially, the Blue Jays can't lose as long as Downs stays healthy and continues pitching well enough to maintain his Type A status. Either someone offers a compelling package and the Blue Jays get talent now, or they keep Downs and offer arbitration. If he accepts the offer, the Jays have a quality reliever on a one-year deal. If he declines and signs elsewhere, they have two top picks in next year's draft.

********************************/toronto_blue_jays/

I will vote to offer him arbitration next year, but ensure he walks away so that we get the two draft picks.

However, if a deal comes in for a + prospect, and a mid-prospect that has a high ceiling I would go for the trade.

Least favourable, he signs for one year by accepting arbitration.

StealingSigns
07-05-2010, 02:45 PM
He will be 35 next year and does not figure in to the plans for the Jays to contend long-term. I hope they trade him for a prospect or two at the deadline that are a little further along than the two picks they would receive for being a Type-A.

Bob_at_york
07-05-2010, 03:27 PM
At his age, I doubt he signs a one year deal. He will look to cash in and get a longer contract. With him at type A status, I might just hang on to him too.

torontosports10
07-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Id say the Jays are gonna let him walk as a Type A, but he will end up signing with a medicore team since they wont lose their 1st and we will get a Sub 1st and their 2nd (If they dont sign someone better which could happen, in which case we get their 3rd)

ChongInc.
07-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Only 39mm committed for next year?!

Halladay
07-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Much like with Halladay we'd need to weigh the options whether to take a prospect or to take draft picks. I'd prefer a top end prospect but I don't know how many teams are willing to do that although they could let him walk and take the picks if they just wanted him as a rental.

bomber0104
07-06-2010, 02:43 AM
last time i checked, Downs wasn't a type A but i guess his performance lately has elevated that. the truth of the matter is Downs is basically around the cut off between type A and type B and anything can happen between now and the end of the season.
And even if he is a type A, there is the potential of a bottom team signing him or a team that has signed a higher ranked FA leaving the Jays with a compensation pick and a 2nd pick.

SO with that in mind, if you get one top prospect, you play it safe and make the deal

North Yorker
07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
last time i checked, Downs wasn't a type A but i guess his performance lately has elevated that. the truth of the matter is Downs is basically around the cut off between type A and type B and anything can happen between now and the end of the season.
And even if he is a type A, there is the potential of a bottom team signing him or a team that has signed a higher ranked FA leaving the Jays with a compensation pick and a 2nd pick.

SO with that in mind, if you get one top prospect, you play it safe and make the deal

This.

Just like the Bell for Sherill deal last year. Downs is the best lefty reliever on the market. We'll get good offers for him.

BlueJayCarter
07-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Scott Downs is an excellent lefty, who has elevated himself so far this year to Type A status (two picks). I do believe that if the Blue Jays receive trade offers for Downs, especially from teams locked in for the playoffs, or are in contention I think they will offer more than less. I think it would probably be one or two high prospects or one high prospect and a low prospect with alot of talent.

However, if those deals don't come onto the table, keep Downs for the year and let him go after offering arbitration, and since he is older in his career, he might be looking for the better team to give us the good picks.

GNick
07-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I would want a team's top prospect to trade any of our free agents if they have draft picks coming back on them. They are worth quite a bit to a contending team. Get a Downs for stretch run and then 2 picks coming back...

The_Realist
07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Non-closer relief pitchers do not make much money in free agency. He would probably make more money by accepting the blue Jays' salary arbitration, so in that case, we probably have him for next season. This isn't terrible because he is definitely a good pitcher, but going forward, you probably want to trade him to get someone who could be good in the future.

TO to the CHI
07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Non-closer relief pitchers do not make much money in free agency. He would probably make more money by accepting the blue Jays' salary arbitration, so in that case, we probably have him for next season. This isn't terrible because he is definitely a good pitcher, but going forward, you probably want to trade him to get someone who could be good in the future.

I am not sure that you understand how arbitration works. The salary figure at arbitration would be based on comparable contracts (those would be non-closer relievers). Thus, while arbitration would likely reward Downs well for his stellar performance, it would not be a contract that overpaid him relative to other non-closer relievers.

Asham
07-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Isnt Kevin Gregg a type A free agent as well?

BlueJayCarter
07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I know he was a type B. He might have become an A.

Rochesta
07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Holding on to him doesn't make any sense. Unless you make a bad trade (and you have to assume that you won't), you will recover the value of the picks 100%. Here is what changes hands:

Toronto sends
Downs
2 draft picks

Other team receives
Downs
2 draft picks

Because the team that aquires Downs will also get the draft picks, they will compensate for them. And, of course, they will compensate for Downs himself. Basically, waiting to collect the draft picks makes as much sense as shoving your life savings in a mattress. You waste the two months of Downs.

bomber0104
07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Holding on to him doesn't make any sense. Unless you make a bad trade (and you have to assume that you won't), you will recover the value of the picks 100%. Here is what changes hands:

Toronto sends
Downs
2 draft picks

Other team receives
Downs
2 draft picks

Because the team that aquires Downs will also get the draft picks, they will compensate for them. And, of course, they will compensate for Downs himself. Basically, waiting to collect the draft picks makes as much sense as shoving your life savings in a mattress. You waste the two months of Downs.

Exactly, if any team gives u value, u take it. Plus, it allows us to see more of Purcey and assess what we have in him

JaysFan87
07-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Toronto sends
Downs
2 draft picks

Other team receives
Downs
2 draft picks

You cant trade draft picks

broncosfan_101
07-06-2010, 08:30 PM
You cant trade draft picks

He's talking about the Type A comp picks that Downs will be worth in the offseason.

JaysFan87
07-06-2010, 08:48 PM
yea but the thing is that you dont know if what you are getting back in prospects is equal to the draft picks you will get in the draft. YOu dont know either way but if u do trade him then you raelly pigeon hole yourself by being forced to choose from one teams farm system as opposed to a whole draft class. IMO

The_Realist
07-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by TO to the CHI
I am not sure that you understand how arbitration works. The salary figure at arbitration would be based on comparable contracts (those would be non-closer relievers). Thus, while arbitration would likely reward Downs well for his stellar performance, it would not be a contract that overpaid him relative to other non-closer relievers.

Scott Downs makes $4 million this year. In arbitration, he will probably get a slight raise to something like $4.25 million at least. If you were another team, would you honestly give a 35 year old relief pitcher that kind of money.

bomber0104
07-06-2010, 10:34 PM
yea but the thing is that you dont know if what you are getting back in prospects is equal to the draft picks you will get in the draft. YOu dont know either way but if u do trade him then you raelly pigeon hole yourself by being forced to choose from one teams farm system as opposed to a whole draft class. IMO

yeah but there is less of the "uknown" factor when trading for prospects who have already been in the minors for a couple of years. With picks, you have to deal with how the player talents translate in the minors followed by his perfomance in the majors.

Rochesta
07-06-2010, 11:34 PM

We're talking in theoreticals, so of course anything can go wrong. The idea is that you should be compensated for the draft picks, whatever their value, because they are going, with Downs, to the other team.

Here we are today. Downs has (X) value today, and the draft picks he will earn as a type A have (Y) value, as of today. The recipient team gets (X) and (Y). We should theoretically get (X) and (Y) back in return. So, in theory, there is no point to holding on to a player for the draft picks. We should get back what those draft picks are worth today. The draft picks carry value and should add to Downs's value. So the other team has to come up with value (Y) from their farm system. It isn't a matter of pigeon holing; they simply have to compensate for the value.

broncosfan_101
07-07-2010, 12:01 AM
We're talking in theoreticals, so of course anything can go wrong. The idea is that you should be compensated for the draft picks, whatever their value, because they are going, with Downs, to the other team.

Here we are today. Downs has (X) value today, and the draft picks he will earn as a type A have (Y) value, as of today. The recipient team gets (X) and (Y). We should theoretically get (X) and (Y) back in return. So, in theory, there is no point to holding on to a player for the draft picks. We should get back what those draft picks are worth today. The draft picks carry value and should add to Downs's value. So the other team has to come up with value (Y) from their farm system. It isn't a matter of pigeon holing; they simply have to compensate for the value.

But if teams low ball us, and basically just offer returns based on getting Downs, I have no problem waiting for the end of the year and taking the 2 picks. The worst thing that happens is he accepts arbitration and we have a very good lefty pen arm for $4-4.5 mill on a one year contract. He won't get much of a raise because he signed this contract after his great 2007 season, and he will now be 35 years old.

Twitchy
07-07-2010, 07:47 AM
If you can get a good prospect for Downs you have to take it. It's kind of like the time value of money in a way - it's more valuable to the Jays to get a prospect now versus later on. You get a prospect who's more developed, and you have a better idea of what their talent level is and whether or not they're likely to reach it.

There's a lot of unknowns with regards to a draft pick. You might not get a first rounder if the team signs a higher ranked one of if the pick is protected. Teams have been hesitant to lose their first rounders to relievers, especially one who's going to be in his mid 30's and fairly or not, isn't considered a "closer".

Obviously if you're being lowballed you don't have a choice, but if you're offered a reasonable trade you have to take it.

Nofear
07-07-2010, 09:24 AM
But if teams low ball us, and basically just offer returns based on getting Downs, I have no problem waiting for the end of the year and taking the 2 picks. The worst thing that happens is he accepts arbitration and we have a very good lefty pen arm for $4-4.5 mill on a one year contract. He won't get much of a raise because he signed this contract after his great 2007 season, and he will now be 35 years old.

I agree with you here. This is more realistic than getting equal value in return. I do however doubt he accepts abratration as he 35, he'll want to cash in on one last 3 yr deal. Since he's lefty, I'm sure he'll get it.

Nofear
07-07-2010, 09:40 AM
If you can get a good prospect for Downs you have to take it. It's kind of like the time value of money in a way - it's more valuable to the Jays to get a prospect now versus later on. You get a prospect who's more developed, and you have a better idea of what their talent level is and whether or not they're likely to reach it.

There's a lot of unknowns with regards to a draft pick. You might not get a first rounder if the team signs a higher ranked one of if the pick is protected. Teams have been hesitant to lose their first rounders to relievers, especially one who's going to be in his mid 30's and fairly or not, isn't considered a "closer".

Obviously if you're being lowballed you don't have a choice, but if you're offered a reasonable trade you have to take it.

I'm not so sure about taking the prospect now is better. Two teams mentioned to be interested in Downs are Philly and Boston. Since they would like to trade now, they'll probably also be interested in Downs in the offseason if he's not dealt

Heres the value of Downs if these teams signed him as a FA:

Now I would think Boston would definately be acquiring another type A FA this offseason push Downs comp out of the first round but as for Philly, I'm not so sure they would be signing a big FA. Philly's more under salary control these days so I doubt they will be throwing out big money to a type A. Based on that, I'd bet Downs would be their biggest FA signing

So based on standings, Philly would be picking 15 if the season ended today. Thats right in Snider or Hill range as far as prospects go and they still would get another pick in the second. I don't really see how anyone could think that the Jays would recieve a Snider range prospect and a second range prospect back if they traded Downs today. Thats Downs value as it sits right now.

In all honesty, your not getting type A value back from anyone for Downs. Maybe, you get a very high spec from say Philly if they plan on letting Downs walk and get back the compensation but I seriously doubt that happens.

Bottom line is Downs' value is much much too high to get equal return so you take your chances letting him walk and getting the picks.

Also, the higher up the standings the more they'd have to pay now

T.O. Fan
07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Isnt Kevin Gregg a type A free agent as well?

The problem with some type A free agents, in particular Gregg, is that they have to be offered arbitration, turn it down and then some team would have to sign him and forfit a high draft pick.

It makes sense to hold onto a guy like Downs, but holding onto Gregg is a little more risky.

Twitchy
07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm not so sure about taking the prospect now is better. Two teams mentioned to be interested in Downs are Philly and Boston. Since they would like to trade now, they'll probably also be interested in Downs in the offseason if he's not dealt

Their interest might change depending on Down's status - teams are extremely reluctant to sign relievers with an "A" status attached to them. Even the good ones struggle to get signed.

Heres the value of Downs if these teams signed him as a FA:

Now I would think Boston would definately be acquiring another type A FA this offseason push Downs comp out of the first round but as for Philly, I'm not so sure they would be signing a big FA. Philly's more under salary control these days so I doubt they will be throwing out big money to a type A. Based on that, I'd bet Downs would be their biggest FA signing

Philly is hardly close to having salary under control. The fact that they don't have any available salary is why Werth is going to be a FA next year. They can thank Raul Ibanez for that one. They're not going to have the budget to sign Downs. Which is pretty sad when he might not cost more than he does now.

You may be right about Boston, but even then, the Jays might only get a sandwich pick and a second or even third rounder. That's not really appealing to me.

So based on standings, Philly would be picking 15 if the season ended today. Thats right in Snider or Hill range as far as prospects go and they still would get another pick in the second. I don't really see how anyone could think that the Jays would recieve a Snider range prospect and a second range prospect back if they traded Downs today. Thats Downs value as it sits right now.

You know who else was drafted in that range? Russ Adams (14) and Kevin Ahrens (17). Which only strengthens my argument. The draft is very unpredictable. You could end up with a blue chipper like Snider, but you're just as likely to get a bust like Adams. It's hard to predict how a player will end up because there's just not enough professional information about the player.

With a prospect, a guy who's in A/AA - you have a much better idea of what you're trading for. There's a chance that they bust too, sure. But the guy in A/AA is more MLB ready than a draft pick, and he won't even get in your system until 2011 June-August vs having him July of 2010.

Given the chance between a quality prospect now in a trade or draft picks in 2011, I'll take the quality prospect every time.

In all honesty, your not getting type A value back from anyone for Downs. Maybe, you get a very high spec from say Philly if they plan on letting Downs walk and get back the compensation but I seriously doubt that happens.

Bottom line is Downs' value is much much too high to get equal return so you take your chances letting him walk and getting the picks.

If you're not getting quality back than obviously you don't trade him. But it's not crazy to expect a decent prospect for one of the better bullpen arms available at the deadline.

Also, the higher up the standings the more they'd have to pay now

It'd be the exact opposite from where I stand. The better the team is now the less likely they'll be to overpay. You're more willing to overpay when you're 2 games out of the WC than when you're the guy leading the pack.

bomber0104
07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
You know who else was drafted in that range? Russ Adams (14) and Kevin Ahrens (17). Which only strengthens my argument. The draft is very unpredictable. You could end up with a blue chipper like Snider, but you're just as likely to get a bust like Adams. It's hard to predict how a player will end up because there's just not enough professional information about the player.

With a prospect, a guy who's in A/AA - you have a much better idea of what you're trading for. There's a chance that they bust too, sure. But the guy in A/AA is more MLB ready than a draft pick, and he won't even get in your system until 2011 June-August vs having him July of 2010.

Given the chance between a quality prospect now in a trade or draft picks in 2011, I'll take the quality prospect every time.

Exactly, prospects are still risky but are a lot more predictable than players in the draft

Gibby
07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
It all depends on the prospects we would get back. Also what are the chances downs accept arb? If its 100% then is say trade him and what ever specs now. I dont like the idea of holding onto downs if he accepts arb. He will be 35 and we dont how much longer he can be solid relief pitcher.

Nofear
07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Their interest might change depending on Down's status - teams are extremely reluctant to sign relievers with an "A" status attached to them. Even the good ones struggle to get signed.

Philly is hardly close to having salary under control. The fact that they don't have any available salary is why Werth is going to be a FA next year. They can thank Raul Ibanez for that one. They're not going to have the budget to sign Downs. Which is pretty sad when he might not cost more than he does now.

You may be right about Boston, but even then, the Jays might only get a sandwich pick and a second or even third rounder. That's not really appealing to me.

If you're not getting quality back than obviously you don't trade him. But it's not crazy to expect a decent prospect for one of the better bullpen arms available at the deadline.

It'd be the exact opposite from where I stand. The better the team is now the less likely they'll be to overpay. You're more willing to overpay when you're 2 games out of the WC than when you're the guy leading the pack.

Just a couple things.

I mean that the Phillies were more trying to get salaries under control not in currently in control. Thats why I said they wouldn't be signing any big money Type A FA players because they can't. I used some bad wording there so thats on me.

Secondly, I'm not doubting that you take a stud prospect if he offered rather than taking the picks. My point is that given the value of a mid round 1st and a 2nd, theres no way I see anyone offering anything close to that. If it is, great take it, but thats my whole point, you'll never get anything close to the value of a mid 1st and a second.

Lastly, I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying with this statement.

It'd be the exact opposite from where I stand. The better the team is now the less likely they'll be to overpay. You're more willing to overpay when you're 2 games out of the WC than when you're the guy leading the pack

I'm kinda confused on the wording so I don't want to speculate on what you mean. For me, if someone such as Boston that is at the top of the standings, they should need to pay more because A: there so close to winning, they'll likely give up more and B: Toronto would get less compensation from them because the pick will be later in the draft if they sign him in the offseason..

I'm probably not doing a real good job drawing comparisions between the value of the draft picks versus the value they would get today in trade. Like a Snider comparison, you would get two cracks (1st and 2nd round) at getting a really good stud so thats got some pretty high value in my mind. I just don't see anyone offering anything close to that value.

Twitchy
07-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Secondly, I'm not doubting that you take a stud prospect if he offered rather than taking the picks. My point is that given the value of a mid round 1st and a 2nd, theres no way I see anyone offering anything close to that. If it is, great take it, but thats my whole point, you'll never get anything close to the value of a mid 1st and a second.

A few years ago Sherill was traded for Josh Bell. I'd say anything comparable to that would be a fair trade and something along the lines of what we can expect. At the time, Bell was 22, in AA and hitting 296-386-497 (883 OPS). If you can get something like that I'd say that's a better haul than any draft pick.

Maybe Downs doesn't get as much because he doesn't have the almighty save statistic, but he's worthy of an 800+ OPS bat at the least IMO.

I'm kinda confused on the wording so I don't want to speculate on what you mean. For me, if someone such as Boston that is at the top of the standings, they should need to pay more because A: there so close to winning, they'll likely give up more and B: Toronto would get less compensation from them because the pick will be later in the draft if they sign him in the offseason..

Yeah, I'm saying that's not the case. If Boston is at the top of the standings it means they already have a good team, and they don't need to overpay for a perceived weakness. If Boston was trailing the Yankees, that's a different story, because then they clearly have to take that extra step in order to get to first place.

I take the opposite viewpoint, that a team is more likely to overpay when they're behind in the standings (but close enough to a playoff spot) compared to when they're ahead in the standings.

I'm probably not doing a real good job drawing comparisions between the value of the draft picks versus the value they would get today in trade. Like a Snider comparison, you would get two cracks (1st and 2nd round) at getting a really good stud so thats got some pretty high value in my mind. I just don't see anyone offering anything close to that value.

You probably won't get a Snider in a trade for Downs, but realistically you're not getting a Snider in the draft either. You might hit the jackpot, but at that point you're just as likely to get the next Russ Adams too. It's very risky to take a draft pick as compensation. That's why I'd prefer to get the "safer", more MLB ready prospect in say an 850 OPS minor leaguer vs a pick in the draft.

Your chances of drafting the next Snider drop even more if the other team signs a better type "A" player (or has their first rounder protected). Then you're dropped to the mid 30's and have a second/third round pick. And there's a real good chance of that happening, at which point it's pretty clear that a good prospect via trade is way more valuable than a 30-40 overall and a second/third rounder.

Nofear
07-08-2010, 09:44 AM
A few years ago Sherill was traded for Josh Bell. I'd say anything comparable to that would be a fair trade and something along the lines of what we can expect. At the time, Bell was 22, in AA and hitting 296-386-497 (883 OPS). If you can get something like that I'd say that's a better haul than any draft pick.

Maybe Downs doesn't get as much because he doesn't have the almighty save statistic, but he's worthy of an 800+ OPS bat at the least IMO.

Yeah, I'm saying that's not the case. If Boston is at the top of the standings it means they already have a good team, and they don't need to overpay for a perceived weakness. If Boston was trailing the Yankees, that's a different story, because then they clearly have to take that extra step in order to get to first place.

As for the Sherrill deal, I believe there was also a singler A pitcher involved. To me thats some pretty good value but I just don't see Downs netting us that. Downs seems like more of a low key guy and I just don't see the big return via trade.

You are right though, if the deal is there get it but I don't think the deal is there. Worst case scenario is they get picks and it ends up like last year, a 3rd rounder because the team signs to other higher ranks Type A's. Lets hope it does come to that.

I take the opposite viewpoint, that a team is more likely to overpay when they're behind in the standings (but close enough to a playoff spot) compared to when they're ahead in the standings.

You probably won't get a Snider in a trade for Downs, but realistically you're not getting a Snider in the draft either. You might hit the jackpot, but at that point you're just as likely to get the next Russ Adams too. It's very risky to take a draft pick as compensation. That's why I'd prefer to get the "safer", more MLB ready prospect in say an 850 OPS minor leaguer vs a pick in the draft.

Your chances of drafting the next Snider drop even more if the other team signs a better type "A" player (or has their first rounder protected). Then you're dropped to the mid 30's and have a second/third round pick. And there's a real good chance of that happening, at which point it's pretty clear that a good prospect via trade is way more valuable than a 30-40 overall and a second/third rounder.

I thought thats what you meant by saying that the team in second needs to pay more to get into first. I guess its just a different opinion because I think the first place team is just that much closer, so they'll want to get that guy that will push the team "over the top" and ensure the WS win. I also think they'd be more will to shut out the other team thats chasing. Its probably not a real big difference in what the max they'd part with for Downs as they both would most likely just say, "we'll pay this much and nothing more"

wamco
07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
take the prospect over the picks as outlined above. See aj burnett debacle

wamco
07-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Cot's updates the Type A and B status:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoSOMyrC9cB7dFo5YlF2NjVIanlydjAyN1RGdU15c 0E&hl=en&output=html&widget=true

Buck has Laird breathing down his neck for type B status. Bautista in the mix with a few others for B. Overbay not close. Gonzo needs to hold off peralta for B. Downs in danger of falling to B if poor 2nd half. Frasor, Gregg, and Camp comfortable B's.

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, As of now we'd have 5B's and an A. Time to draft the best players in the draft and go overslot to make it happen.

bomber0104
07-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Cot's updates the Type A and B status:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoSOMyrC9cB7dFo5YlF2NjVIanlydjAyN1RGdU15c 0E&hl=en&output=html&widget=true

Buck has Laird breathing down his neck for type B status. Bautista in the mix with a few others for B. Overbay not close. Gonzo needs to hold off peralta for B. Downs in danger of falling to B if poor 2nd half. Frasor, Gregg, and Camp comfortable B's.

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, As of now we'd have 5B's and an A. Time to draft the best players in the draft and go overslot to make it happen.

We should deal Downs really soon imo.. i can easily see him losing his type A status in the second half. He has been a lot better lately but he was lucky to have the numbers he had with the way he was pitching early in the season

Pride
07-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Doesn't Bautista have another year on his contract? And for Gonzalez, he has an option for 2011 which is fairly reasonable. I wouldn't mind keeping him unless we get blown away; we go no one else to play SS anyways.