PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bulls Loyalty

blams
07-05-2010, 03:31 AM
:laugh2: This isn't about LBJ, or any BS like that. I saw this posted in a thread in the Bulls forum, and thought that it deserves its own thread, to acknowledge it.

LINK (http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/paxson_curry_051003.html)

Main Point:

We put a proposal on the table to keep Eddy a couple of weeks ago. As part of that proposal, we asked Eddy to take the genetic test. And if he failed the genetic test, we were offering him basically what amounts to a lifetime annuity. We were offering him $400,000 a year for 50 years of his life so that he would have an above-average lifestyle that would put him in a position most other people aren’t in. Our intention through that whole process was to show him that we did care about him and that we were concerned about his well-being.

"The bottom line is this: I would never put a player on the floor in a Chicago Bulls uniform if I didn't think I had done everything in my power to find out all the information that was available to us. You can debate genetic testing until you're blue in the face. But what I know and been told and what I've learned over the last six months is that the test could have helped us determine the best course of action. We went to far as to offer Eddy a opportunity to not only find out, but to live his life comfortably because that's how much we cared about him.

400K a year for 50 years, to not play basketball because they're scared of him playing with the heart condition. Reinsdorf is a great man.

cmellofan15
07-05-2010, 03:39 AM
:sigh:

I wish I was a Bulls player

blams
07-05-2010, 03:40 AM

I wish I was a Bulls player

:nod:

Akshay
07-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Though i'm not a Bulls fan, i have gained a much greater respect for them, much more than my favorite team, the Wizards or any other team in the league.

The Raven
07-05-2010, 06:43 AM
DAMN. Thats like hitting the Lotto right there. Well minus the condition

IAmKira
07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
DAMN. Thats like hitting the Lotto right there. Well minus the condition

hell, i think u would take that condition if u can get 400k a year doin nothing but walk around and watch the team or watever...

h2r09
07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
im sure most teams would do that. having a player have a heart attack and dieing on the floor in the middle of the game isnt exactly a way to have fans come back for more. Not great PR

The Smurf
07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
You can also look to the money they gave Jay Williams after he drove his motorcycle into a broadcasting career. Reinsdorf does take care of his players.

dodie53
07-05-2010, 10:19 AM
respect.

blams
07-05-2010, 11:45 AM
-

Drunk Kosar 19
07-05-2010, 11:59 AM
its prob all covered by insurance, whats the big dealio

avrpatsfan
07-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Haha that's great.

DodgerBlue24
07-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Can somebody tell me who this player is and what is wrong with him to get this offer from the Bulls...

and for those of you that don't know the math that is 20 million dollars they are offering....

I have a lot of respect for the bulls....

Sportfan
07-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Can somebody tell me who this player is and what is wrong with him to get this offer from the Bulls...

and for those of you that don't know the math that is 20 million dollars they are offering....

I have a lot of respect for the bulls....
Eddy Curry and he has some heart problem so the Bulls paid him not to play so they wouldn't get sued.

Chronz
07-05-2010, 12:54 PM
hell, i think u would take that condition if u can get 400k a year doin nothing but walk around and watch the team or watever...

As someone born with heart problems I can tell you Id rather have my health. Sure we're both prolly going to live full lives but I dont value anything above my health.

effen5
07-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Eddy Curry and he has some heart problem so the Bulls paid him not to play so they wouldn't get sued.

I might be wrong but this is what happened.

This might have be the season before his contract season

Curry found out he had a heart condition

Bulls wanted him to take a DNA test to make sure he doesn't have some rare disease because they didn't want him to collapse on the court and die but he was cleared to play.

Curry refused even though Pax offered him 400k for the rest of his life.

Pax had no choice but trade him to the Knicks for a ton of picks.

Isaiah gave him ridiculous contract.

ImThatDude
07-05-2010, 01:30 PM
You also have to take into account that 400k probably wouldn't of been able to cover his living expenses (house, cars, family etc.) The guy was making millions annually and is still under contract what do you expect him to do, retire and accept 400k over 50 years when he isn't guaranteed to see any of it.

albertc86
07-05-2010, 01:33 PM
If this is true then why is Pippen in debt and doing bs (no pun intended) commercials?

chitowncubears1
07-05-2010, 01:38 PM
If this is true then why is Pippen in debt and doing bs (no pun intended) commercials?

He's not. He just won a lawsuit that he will get 2 millions dollars.

effen5
07-05-2010, 01:47 PM
You also have to take into account that 400k probably wouldn't of been able to cover his living expenses (house, cars, family etc.) The guy was making millions annually and is still under contract what do you expect him to do, retire and accept 400k over 50 years when he isn't guaranteed to see any of it.

Thats the difference, Pax thought there could have been a chance for EC to die on the court if he didn't take the test, and if he did take the test he probably wouldn't have been to play basketball ever again. So Pax was willing to pay him 400k for the rest of his life. It probably would have been better for him in the long run anyways and not blow it on stupid **** and get in debt like he is now.

effen5
07-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Theres a difference between a disease ruining your career and Pip being an idiot with his money.

Don't know why JR HAS to help him with anything if he doesn't know how to handle his own money.

JR didn't HAVE to give broke Randy Brown a job but he did didn't he?

cubfan23
07-05-2010, 01:58 PM

yeah he invested in business deals that went really bad so he lost money.

REALLYYYYY?
07-05-2010, 02:02 PM
im sure most teams would do that. having a player have a heart attack and dieing on the floor in the middle of the game isnt exactly a way to have fans come back for more. Not great PR

yeah well the issue here is the bulls' loyalty since wade took an indirect/implied (or direct - i don't remember) shot at the bulls' loyalty a little while back (before backpedaling, of course).

it turns out the bulls have shown great loyalty over the years. many players were quick to defend and many interesting stories/examples of the organization's loyalty came out. one somewhat recent example that immediately came into MY mind was how the bulls gave randy brown a job after he became so poor that he had to sell his championship rings.

D Roses Bulls
07-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I think wade realizes the bulls loyalty isnt bad after this weekend.....come home dwyane

nanablvd
07-05-2010, 03:47 PM
that's essentially a buyout term the Bulls were talking about. $20million over 50 years is definitely better than the remaining of his contract had he not had health problem. The Bulls made the statement look touching when it's in fact just a wise business decision that benefits the organization. One stone hitting two birds, wise move, Chicago Bulls.

Bornknick73
07-05-2010, 03:58 PM
To be on topic.....There is no such thing. Riensdorf broke up what was the greatest team to ever play the game. 72-10 makes them that. He was forced to pay Jordan and when the team became to expensive and the luxury tax was too much he broke it up. That team even with a older Jordan could have won 1-2 more titles. Winning more titles or saving money? Loyalty is paying the players who made your franchise great. In this case he broke up the team. The Greatest Team to ever play the game I might add.

Loyalty isnt a word Riensdorf is too familair with. He'll tolerate it for a bit but in the end ......Again this isnt a slight at your city. Its directed at your owner. The same owner who all of chicago despised when he broke up the team. He was the most hated man in chicago. Now all of a sudden hes the best owner in the NBA.

effen5
07-05-2010, 05:29 PM
To be on topic.....There is no such thing. Riensdorf broke up what was the greatest team to ever play the game. 72-10 makes them that. He was forced to pay Jordan and when the team became to expensive and the luxury tax was too much he broke it up. That team even with a older Jordan could have won 1-2 more titles. Winning more titles or saving money? Loyalty is paying the players who made your franchise great. In this case he broke up the team. The Greatest Team to ever play the game I might add.

Loyalty isnt a word Riensdorf is too familair with. He'll tolerate it for a bit but in the end ......Again this isnt a slight at your city. Its directed at your owner. The same owner who all of chicago despised when he broke up the team. He was the most hated man in chicago. Now all of a sudden hes the best owner in the NBA.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

effen5
07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
that's essentially a buyout term the Bulls were talking about. $20million over 50 years is definitely better than the remaining of his contract had he not had health problem. The Bulls made the statement look touching when it's in fact just a wise business decision that benefits the organization. One stone hitting two birds, wise move, Chicago Bulls.

Then what about Jay Williams? JR could have easily voided Jay's contract but not only did he pay for Jay Williams health care but bought him out for 2-3 million dollars....

Legally JR didn't have to pay Jay **** but gave him 3 million dollars toward his rehabilitation....

JSK
07-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Pippen totally mismanaged his money, even after they brought him back for 2 years in 03' when he only played 20 some games and didn't even play in 04'. Basically they gave him millions and never asked for any of it back.

On top of the fact that they gave him a sugarcoated S&T deal just so he could have what he wanted.

The team has gone above and beyond for many players. Loyalty questions are a joke.

Pauleboman
07-05-2010, 06:18 PM

First of all this should only be in the Bulls Forum(move)
Its a good thing your not God because we would all be in trouble..
You dont know what went down and Michael,Scottie,Kukoc&All the past players have
said anything bad..Even the Zen Phil Jackson..I dont have any doubt in my mind Jerry R is a great owner of the Best Franchise in the Chicago Bulls..
Jerry for President and Barrack is a big Bulls fan.
Become a Bulls fan now dont knock it till ya try it..

JordanPippen
07-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Pippen totally mismanaged his money, even after they brought him back for 2 years in 03' when he only played 20 some games and didn't even play in 04'. Basically they gave him millions and never asked for any of it back.

On top of the fact that they gave him a sugarcoated S&T deal just so he could have what he wanted.

The team has gone above and beyond for many players. Loyalty questions are a joke.

the bulls signed pippen for two years at the end of his career. He only played 23 games his first season, and sat out the entire second season. However, the Bulls still paid him the full 10 million with no pressure of seeking a buyout.

adidas2307
07-05-2010, 06:37 PM

GordoJ52
07-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Seriously? Try looking up what Jordan made his last two years with the Bulls and realize that was over 10 years ago. His last two years combined be made 66 million. 30 one year and 36 his last year. Still the most any player has EVER made in any sport and any contact. NBA Luxury tax you are paying 1 dollar for each dollar over, so would you have done it over again?