PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Drabek just threw a No-Hitter!

Macedonian
07-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Kyle Drabek:
9.0 IP ; 0 H ; 0 R ; 0 ER ; 2 BB ; 3 SO

marcre
07-04-2010, 08:57 PM
awesome.

GimmeAD
07-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Good for him. He's gonna be filthy.

nstojic
07-04-2010, 09:00 PM
:win::win::cheer::cheer::dance::dance::cheers: :cheers:

BBB
07-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Nice!

Jays52
07-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Great to hear!!!

T.O.Bombinators
07-04-2010, 09:29 PM
just saw the box score..good for him..on a side note hech was 3-5 today

BlueJays_29
07-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Good to hear. The future is promising.

bomber0104
07-04-2010, 09:34 PM
finally a jay does it even if it isn't on the ML lever

tuck25
07-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Thats Awesome, Future looks Bright.

jrice9
07-04-2010, 10:25 PM
He did on a low pitch count which is why they probabally left him in. Only walked 2 and had three strike outs.

Great for him, thats really awsome!

idrinkpepsi
07-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Oh hell yes, freaking awesome.

Macedonian
07-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Drabek threw three strikeouts and gave up two walks to pitch the first no-hitter in Fisher Cats history in a nine-inning game.
Both of Drabek’s walks came in the fifth inning. After a leadoff walk was erased by a double play, he immediately walked another batter, then retired the final 13 batters in order.
The game took only two hours and 16 minutes.
Entering the game, Drabek ranked third in the league with 77 strikeouts.
Drabek is the son of Doug Drabek, a former Cy Young Award winner in the National League.

National Post

The Slave
07-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Drabek threw three strikeouts and gave up two walks to pitch the first no-hitter in Fisher Cats history in a nine-inning game.
Both of Drabek’s walks came in the fifth inning. After a leadoff walk was erased by a double play, he immediately walked another batter, then retired the final 13 batters in order.
The game took only two hours and 16 minutes.
Entering the game, Drabek ranked third in the league with 77 strikeouts.
Drabek is the son of Doug Drabek, a former Cy Young Award winner in the National League.

National Post

That's G.

Can't wait to see him next season.

Bob_at_york
07-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Good to hear that his pitch count was low. I wouldn't want them pushing the kids for small honours.

Ragun
07-05-2010, 12:00 AM
sweet!

TouchEm All Joe
07-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Wicked awesome

D-Train#35
07-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Hot.

Tragedy
07-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Kid is going to be something special soon. Can't wait to see him in the coming years.

1hardcore
07-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Awesome!!!!!

:clap:

StealingSigns
07-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Wow! Best Jays related news in a while!

Halladay
07-05-2010, 02:37 AM
He's just trying to keep up with Doc.

BlueJayFanDan
07-05-2010, 03:21 AM
Drabek!!!!!!!!!!

nstojic
07-05-2010, 08:10 AM
"This is very special for me, something I will never forget," said Drabek, who became the first Fisher Cats pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter in franchise history. Jamie Vermilyea threw a no-hitter for New Hampshire on June 28, 2004 at Gill Stadium, but it was a seven-inning game.

Drabek, covered with shaving cream courtesy of teammate Adrian Martin following an on-field interview before a jubilant home crowd of 6,037, said he knew he was working on a no-hitter from the sixth inning on.

Fisher Cats pitcher Kyle Drabek throws to a New Britain Rock Cats batter during Sunday's game at Merchantsauto.com Stadium in Manchester. (MARK BOLTON)
"You keep looking at the scoreboard and keep seeing the zeros," he said. "I was as composed in the seventh and eighth innings as I was when I first started the game, but I got a little nervous in the ninth. The crowd was great with their support, but I was freaking out there a little bit."

The interesting thing that often happens in a no-hit game didn't happen last night. There were no special defensive plays, no one play behind or in front of Drabek that had the potential of spoiling the no-hitter. Every out -- 12 grounders, 11 flies, three strikeouts -- was routine.

Drabek is the son of former National League Cy Young Award winner Doug Drabek. He threw 24 pitches after three innings, 62 after six and finished with 98, was still throwing in the range of 95-97 mph in the ninth inning.

"I didn't care what my pitch count was. I would have fought anyone in that dugout who wanted to pull me out of the game," said Drabek with a grin. "I wanted to finish this one."

Manager Luis Rivera, who said he never played for a professional team at any level who threw a no-hitter, said he had "goosebumps in the ninth inning."

When Drabek retired Joe Benson to end the game on a grounder to second base, Drabek said he didn't know how to react as he was mobbed on the mound by his teammates with the crowd cheering wildly.

Rivera?

"I just couldn't believe it, just turned to my coaches and started hugging guys, it was a great moment for a good person," said Rivera.

Drabek faced 28 batters, walking just two batters in the fifth inning. He opened the fifth throwing four straight balls to Erik Lis, who was quickly erased on a 6-4-3 double play. He then walked Steve Singleton on four pitches with two outs, but got Jair Fernandez to ground out to third for the final out.

"He stayed with his curve, mixed in his fastballs and just kept them (Rock Cats) off balance," said Jeroloman. "The thing about Kyle is, even under conditions like tonight with a no-hitter on the line, he remained cool and calm. His poise and composure is what makes him good and yet, he has that bulldog mentality to go with it."

It marks the first win since May 31 for Drabek (8-8) who has not allowed a hit in 13 1/3 innings dating to last Tuesday's game against Reading.

Drabek was part of an offseason trade that sent Roy Halladay to Philadelphia. Halladay pitched a perfect game in late May for the Phillies.

"He's got three, maybe four good pitches working now and you need at least three to get there (the majors)," said Rivera.

Drabek said his one and only no-hitter previous to last night was in high school, but added "this is a million times better. You can't predict stuff like this. It's something I will never forget."

http://www.theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Drabek+hurls+no-hitter&articleId=ffc45bfb-b345-49b3-b5aa-e6de622170d6

bartron_44
07-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Looks like he had his mechanics on lock down...this will be great for his confidence!! If he can keep the walks to a minimum I like his chances every time he takes the ball..

Macedonian
07-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Drabek finished with only 98 pitches.
Awesome!

Drabek has not allowed a hit in 13 1/3 innings dating to last Tuesday's game against Reading.
...and counting!

blujaysrock
07-05-2010, 08:19 AM
He threw 24 pitches after three innings, 62 after six and finished with 98, was still throwing in the range of 95-97 mph in the ninth inning

I had no idea he threw 95-97 :laugh2: And 98 pitches is very good. Nice to see him accomplish something so few pitchers ever do.

BlueJayCarter
07-05-2010, 08:38 AM
That was a very impressive start by Drabek. He and his teammates, and folks have to be proud.

Hopefully that earns him a call up to Triple AAA during the last month of the minor league season, get him a little more competition.

boilerguy2412
07-05-2010, 09:02 AM
The thing i like the most about this is there were only 3 K's. That means he was really mixing things up. Good news. Do you think we see him in September. I think AA brings him up for a start or 2, i think he wants to show this kid off a bit. I've been keeping track a little more on the Jays farm lately and i'm starting to like hat i'm seeing more and more from some of the guys that should be growing.

BlueJayCarter
07-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I think he will reach Triple AAA come August or September. If there is an injury to a starting pitcher or alot of young guys get shut down, Cecil, Litsch, Marcum, I see him maybe coming up and pitching one start. Highly unlikely though. Next year for sure, especially if he does well in Spring Training.

I will like J.P the catcher come up, Lubanski deserves a September call up, Wallace for sure in September.

McJoe
07-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Anyone NOT excited yet?

dtmagnet
07-05-2010, 06:20 PM
This is exciting news! I hope this guy can be great at the next level.

Jays Claw
07-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Awesome!

H-MYK
07-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Awesome stuff. :clap:

broncosfan_101
07-05-2010, 09:08 PM
The thing i like the most about this is there were only 3 K's. That means he was really mixing things up. Good news. Do you think we see him in September. I think AA brings him up for a start or 2, i think he wants to show this kid off a bit. I've been keeping track a little more on the Jays farm lately and i'm starting to like hat i'm seeing more and more from some of the guys that should be growing.

Ummmmmmmm....WHAT??? You would rather have Drabek give hitters a 30% chance of getting a hit by putting the ball in play than a 0% chance by striking them out? I'm gonna do it, guys, and I'm sorry. But here's Debbie Downer. This no-hitter was mass amounts of luck/good defense. Many times, pitchers have thrown 3 K, 2 BB, 1.3 GO/FO complete games. This particular one just happened to be sprinkled with great fortune. Since opposing batters put the ball in play 23 times, he should have given up 7 hits, and 10 flyouts means at least 1 HR.

The odds of this exact start ever happening again is probably 100,000:1 at least. Congrats to him for doing it, but the baseball gods were definitely smiling on him last night.

wamco
07-06-2010, 03:17 AM
AAA now.

Got to show off your new toy for a start or two in mlb towards the end of his year.

JaysFan87
07-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Ummmmmmmm....WHAT??? You would rather have Drabek give hitters a 30% chance of getting a hit by putting the ball in play than a 0% chance by striking them out? I'm gonna do it, guys, and I'm sorry. But here's Debbie Downer. This no-hitter was mass amounts of luck/good defense. Many times, pitchers have thrown 3 K, 2 BB, 1.3 GO/FO complete games. This particular one just happened to be sprinkled with great fortune. Since opposing batters put the ball in play 23 times, he should have given up 7 hits, and 10 flyouts means at least 1 HR.

The odds of this exact start ever happening again is probably 100,000:1 at least. Congrats to him for doing it, but the baseball gods were definitely smiling on him last night.

I dont know if u know this or not but no hitters in general are an extremely rare event that requires a **** load of luck and good defence. so to point this one out as a lucky one is simply pointing out the obvious.

GNick
07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Kyle Drabek:
9.0 IP ; 0 H ; 0 R ; 0 ER ; 2 BB ; 3 SO

Good to hear....he is coming around

StayOnBoard
07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I dont know if u know this or not but no hitters in general are an extremely rare event that requires a **** load of luck and good defence. so to point this one out as a lucky one is simply pointing out the obvious.

Exactly... ^^

If people don't think there's some amount of luck/good fortune/whatever you wanna call it with EVERY no-hitter you're sadly mistaken.

broncosfan_101
07-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Absolutely, so then why are we getting so excited about this one? If he had struck out 12 and only walked one, that's a fantastic start. But a 1.5:1 K/BB ratio isn't very good. So we're getting wet over a start that by normal 'fielding independant' standards wasn't very good, but everything outside of his control just happened to go perfectly for him.

Most no-hitters are good starts with a bunch of luck. This one was probably an average-at-best start, with a buttload of luck.

marcre
07-06-2010, 08:59 PM
You don't have to strike out a ton of guys to have a good start.

broncosfan_101
07-06-2010, 09:06 PM
You don't have to strike out a ton of guys to have a good start.

True, but a 1.5:1 K/BB ratio is never good. Ever.

marcre
07-06-2010, 11:25 PM
True, but a 1.5:1 K/BB ratio is never good. Ever.

He's still young and learning. He's doing some nice things.

broncosfan_101
07-06-2010, 11:39 PM
He's still young and learning. He's doing some nice things.

Oh I'm not knocking him as a prospect, especially if he can return to his form from last year. But this no-hitter is nothing to get excited about.

marcre
07-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Oh I'm not knocking him as a prospect, especially if he can return to his form from last year. But this no-hitter is nothing to get excited about.

I don't know, it's nice. Beats getting shelled. I agree that it's not as big as a no hitter in the big leagues and it doesn't prove success in MLB, but it's still cool to see.

broncosfan_101
07-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't know, it's nice. Beats getting shelled. I agree that it's not as big as a no hitter in the big leagues and it doesn't prove success in MLB, but it's still cool to see.

That's what I'm getting at. It is cool because it happens so rarely, and you're obviously right in saying that it's better than getting pounded. However, this doesn't prove that he's got lights-out stuff that will translate to the majors. He probably has that, but we wouldn't know by looking at this start.

nithanyo
07-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Anyone NOT excited yet?

I am. Was never a fan of drabek. Always thought the hype was cus of the name on the back, but if he has stuff good enough to throw a no-no im not gonna knock on him nomore.....mind you it was in double A

Gibby
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
anyone think AA is going to promote him from double A straight to the majors. i dont think they want to send him to the Pacific coast league. he already spent majority of last year in double A and he is still in double A this year.

wamco
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
a full year in AA at this point, AAA time