PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to our new real PG!

New Power House
07-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Watch this guy fight and score!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-09wKAE4jE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoFOnn10-IM&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdAQT0TQOpU&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4YxXRRLbQc&feature=related
Enjoy!

Chacarron
07-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I like his MMA training, shows his toughness and will to overcome obstacles.

USMCLaker
07-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I like this one better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4YxXRRLbQc&feature=related

still1ballin
07-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Cool.

New Power House
07-04-2010, 09:33 PM
i like his mma training, shows his toughness and will to overcome obstacles.

he is a fighter!

myqntab
07-04-2010, 10:47 PM
great mix.....i am more pleased every moment

Lakers_ftw
07-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Does he have a nickname from Portland? If not, what should we call him?

KillaInstinct24
07-04-2010, 11:53 PM
cant wait to see who else we add to the team

KillaInstinct24
07-04-2010, 11:54 PM

call him the bLAKE show

robdizzle3
07-05-2010, 12:12 AM
I love the one with Bogut. He seriously was gonna fight Bogut and Brandon Jennings. I like the fiesty attitude, I hope he brings that to LA.

kblo247
07-05-2010, 03:14 AM

I prefer:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7568/steveblakeblakeramerica.jpg

lezard
07-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Little Tom: Your mother wants you to take home Disney box set (http://www.cartoon77.com/products/Walt-Disneys-100-Years-Of-Magic-164-discs-Collection-DVD-Boxset-cartoon-1728.html) and the simpsons box set (http://www.cartoon77.com/products/The-Simpsons-Seasons-1-21-DVD-Box-Set-cartoon-1996.html). Be quick, she is waiting.

LakersSaintsLSU
07-05-2010, 06:52 AM
I prefer:

nice

KobeJordan
07-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Welcome to our new real PG!

The thread title implies that Fish is/was not a real PG. Look... I love the signing just like the next man, however, if you think Blake will bring what No one else beside Fish can bring then, I can't even explain that one.

Blake = playing big min. in regular season getting accustomed to the offense and intergrating with new team to be the guy when Fish retires..

Fish = playing in the clutch and coming through consistenly in the playoffs which we know he will do... and if that is not a "REAL PG" then I don't know what is.

LA_Raiders
07-05-2010, 09:56 AM
im glad we have a decent PG, we still need fish back and hopefully brown too

Vinylman
07-05-2010, 10:39 AM
lets hope he doesn't shrivel up in a "big moment"

of course, we know fisher won't

Young$avage
07-05-2010, 11:53 AM
We'll call Steve Blake JPJ (John Paxson Jr.) LOL. Seriously, I like Blake Show.

Wilson
07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Nice, thanks for posting NPH :cheers:

I could only watch the first one because youtube is being ridiculously slow for me. It's great to see that from Blake though, I thought he was just a spot up shooter and defender, I didn't know he was that scrappy.

I'm liking this signing more and more all the time...

Lake_Show2416
07-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I like that on top of what his skill set can bring to the team. He aint no PUNK either.

Toughness to a team is never bad.

BrewinRamLakers
07-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Love it!!!!

Storch
07-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Toughness? Yah steve blake has it for sure. Check out this vid of blake standing up to Dwight Howard. :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwdQOEzuVYQ&feature=related

Enjoy.

android76
07-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I got 23 assist with him on Nba 2k10

KillaInstinct24
07-05-2010, 04:30 PM
We'll call Steve Blake JPJ (John Paxson Jr.) LOL. Seriously, I like Blake Show.

you're the only 1 that appreciates my "the blake show" suggestion lmao, i like it :cool:

RaiderLakersA's
07-05-2010, 04:45 PM
He crossed up Krypto-Nate one time...and was crossed up by Krypto-Nate. If nothing else, that kid is gritty and likes to compete.

As for nicknames, as long as they don't call him "Eminem", "Opie", "Richie Cunningham" or "White (add whatever metaphor here)", I'm fine with it.

numba1CHANGsta
07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Blake is more tougher than I thought lol

New Power House
07-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Welcome to our new real PG!

The thread title implies that Fish is/was not a real PG. Look... I love the signing just like the next man, however, if you think Blake will bring what No one else beside Fish can bring then, I can't even explain that one.

Blake = playing big min. in regular season getting accustomed to the offense and intergrating with new team to be the guy when Fish retires..

Fish = playing in the clutch and coming through consistenly in the playoffs which we know he will do... and if that is not a "REAL PG" then I don't know what is.

Brown and Farmar are two PG pretenders in comparative with this guy. Blake's skills and characteristics pair with what Fish brings every night. Fish is very fortunate that he has been in a very good team and has found a way to make a name of himself. Nevertheless,FIsh lacks consistency in some areas of the game like the ability to run the brake. His ability to create plays and just shooting with consistency. We love his energy and great heart,but we suffer when he can not stay with the younger and faster PGs. He will have someone now that can help him off the bench and maybe save his legs for better times. The new Real PG off the bench for now ,maybe a better title. The point is that Lakers got a PG that will help maintain leads for sure.

Anilyzer
07-05-2010, 05:12 PM
B-Laker
B-Lake
Blaker
Snow Flake
Weasel

Storch
07-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I wana call him white chocolate, jason williams doesnt deserve that anymore. :laugh:

kobeonekenobe
07-05-2010, 05:25 PM
I def like snow flake (white guy, new to the team, reference to Prison Break lol)

also Blakeshow. Ankle Blaker haha

evadatam5150
07-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Overpaid..

Am I the only one disappointed that we pretty much spent the majority of our wad on a guy we really didn't need.. We would have been better off with someone who can play some defense and score and backup Kobe.. The triangle doesn't need a pure point so why was this signing necessary.. ?? I'm still a bit baffled.. Nothing against him but he's not really the guy we needed..

kobeonekenobe
07-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Overpaid..

Am I the only one disappointed that we pretty much spent the majority of our wad on a guy we really didn't need.. We would have been better off with someone who can play some defense and score and backup Kobe.. The triangle doesn't need a pure point so why was this signing necessary.. ?? I'm still a bit baffled.. Nothing against him but he's not really the guy we needed..

Yep, seems like u are, the lakers play the triangle, all we need is a guy with a good basketball IQ, can hit the 3 (40% career) and someone who can pass the ball = Steve Blake

evadatam5150
07-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Yep, seems like u are, the lakers play the triangle, all we need is a guy with a good basketball IQ, can hit the 3 (40% career) and someone who can pass the ball = Steve Blake

It was a rhetorical question but thanks for playing.. :clap:

Like I said I'm just confused about this signing and why the Lakers made a B Line for this guy when there were other options out there.. It can't be because he's a pure point guard as the triangle doesn't rely on a pure point guard.. Also, contrary to what you believe there are others on this team that pass and pass well, so the question is what does he bring to the table that fish or Farmar don't..

Fisher 7.5 Points 2.5 Assist 1 steal
Blake 7.3 Points 4.8 Assist .7 steals
Farmar 7.2 Points 1.5 Assist .6 Steals

So we got him because he he gives the Lakers 2 more Assist than Fisher and 3 more than Farmar.. Ok so then you're going to say well he's a career .393 3 point shooter but regardless of what his % is he's statistically scores less than Fisher so I'm still a bit confused here, where's the value and why is he worth so much of the Lakers MLE.. ??

Nothing personal I just don't get it when this team has other needs..

kobeonekenobe
07-05-2010, 06:18 PM
It was a rhetorical question but thanks for playing.. :clap:

Like I said I'm just confused about this signing and why the Lakers made a B Line for this guy when there were other options out there.. It can't be because he's a pure point guard as the triangle doesn't rely on a pure point guard.. Also, contrary to what you believe there are others on this team that pass and pass well, so the question is what does he bring to the table that fish or Farmar don't..

Fisher 7.5 Points 2.5 Assist 1 steal
Blake 7.3 Points 4.8 Assist .7 steals
Farmar 7.2 Points 1.5 Assist .6 Steals

So we got him because he he gives the Lakers 2 more Assist than Fisher and 3 more than Farmar.. Ok so then you're going to say well he's a career .393 3 point shooter but regardless of what his % is he's statistically scores less than Fisher so I'm still a bit confused here, where's the value and why is he worth so much of the Lakers MLE.. ??

Nothing personal I just don't get it when this team has other needs..

Its not about the numbers tho, its about what he brings to the team. Same with Fish, u could never look at his stats alone. U have to be a laker fan and see how much he does for the team, i believe the same will go 4 Blake. He is a very steady player who makes good decisions. He is a Fisher clone in my opinion, with better passing skills

New Power House
07-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Overpaid..

I have been watching this guy play here in Portland and I am sure that he is the prototype of PG that Phil loves. He is not the shot first weak defender type that we had in Farmar and Brown. This guy is a fighter and a very consistent player at what he does. He is going to blend just perfectly! Phil called this one!

evadatam5150
07-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Its not about the numbers tho, its about what he brings to the team. Same with Fish, u could never look at his stats alone. U have to be a laker fan and see how much he does for the team, i believe the same will go 4 Blake. He is a very steady player who makes good decisions. He is a Fisher clone in my opinion, with better passing skills

That's my point, You already have Fisher (obviously he's older) who brings you a ton of intangibles, who understands the Lakers system more than anyone and who's a just a clutch guy and a leader... There are no unknowns there.. Blakes younger but but doesn't understand the system and it's hard to say what, if anything, he's going to bring to the Lakers system.. There are plenty of unknown's.. I just think they could have gone a different direction and waited a bit longer.. Just my two cents...

Storch
07-05-2010, 06:55 PM
That's my point, You already have Fisher (obviously he's older) who brings you a ton of intangibles, who understands the Lakers system more than anyone and who's a just a clutch guy and a leader... There are no unknowns there.. Blakes younger but but doesn't understand the system and it's hard to say what, if anything, he's going to bring to the Lakers system.. There are plenty of unknown's.. I just think they could have gone a different direction and waited a bit longer.. Just my two cents...

All evadatam5150 is basically saying is that we could have kept farmar and signed someone like mike miller instead, and still generally have the same kind of point guard.

Right? If so, I see what you mean.

New Power House
07-05-2010, 08:26 PM
All evadatam5150 is basically saying is that we could have kept farmar and signed someone like mike miller instead, and still generally have the same kind of point guard.

Lakers had enough of Farmar and they let him go. He was unable to show a reason for the Lakers to keep him around. Brown now,It is going to miss the bus and Blake is coming to play behind Fish and to be sure that in case he decides to fly away,Lakers have someone that cold help to fill in for him. LR ir Bell might be the other guard the Lakers are to sign in case Fish goes for the cash. The summer group might bring some players to help to fill for Brown,Powell,Morrison and Mbenga. Ebanks,Caracter,Green, and Strawberry. I see already at least two of this list with a chance to join our team for pre-season. Ebanks,Caracter,maybe Green and either Bell or LR witha vet center are lakers are ready. Fish will be a sweet deal to end his carrier next year!

Vinylman
07-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Overpaid..

if we don't resign fisher i will be pissed that we spent this much money on blake...

time will tell and i am hopeful we resign dfish

KP24
07-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Can he play D?

robdizzle3
07-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Farmar wasnt coming back unloess he was starting, so that scenario wouldnt work. Either way we need to get a capable point and we got him. Yea, I probably woulda wnated Miller, but I trust Mitch, with giving us 3 straight Finals app and 2 straight titles. So I think we'll be fine. He has a plan here, thoguh I dont ko it, I trust him.

The Raven
07-06-2010, 05:05 AM
I prefer:

thats freakin sweet.

Those videos were very interesting to watch. Havent seen them before but, i love his no fear attitude. Isnt afraid to stand up for himself against someone much taller then him. The more and more i think about it, the more and more i like this signing. He's a hell of a point guard thats better then anything we had last semester off the bench point guard wise. Much better then Farmar so its an improvement

Anilyzer
07-06-2010, 02:25 PM

*sigh* Blake is a definite upgrade over Fisher. He is also 5 years younger. His 3pt % is much higher, and he is regarded as a "superb" passer and playmaker.

Nobody, not even the most radical Laker fans, ever said that Fisher was a "superb" passer. We all know that Fisher's game is basically take the shot when it's there, otherwise pass to Kobe and don't make any mistakes. And in the past three years, Fisher has been getting beat on defense by opposing point guards, and at times his shooting has been so bad that it is simply unreal. In the 2008 playoffs, he shot something like .012 from the field, which was brutal, and just kept jacking up shot after shot after shot. I remember being at the gym watching the game, and every time the ball went to him everybody in the place just groaned *noooo, don't shoot* and then he'd brick another one.

I mean Fisher has managed to take less shots the past two years, and make some clutch ones... but still, I mean, c'mon. Blake was the top free agent point guard out there, AND he is a player who will deeply benefit from Phil's coaching and start taking the triangle to another level and executing it perfectly.

So when Pau or Bynum shake free from their post defender for a second and lift their hand, the ball is right there and they are catching it. Don't you get tired of seeing the ball go around, Pau or Bynum front their defender, but Fisher, Brown or Farmar look left, look right, hesitate, then the defender gets position again, then the ball goes back to Kobe with 7 seconds on the shot clock.

Basically, everytime the bigs get frozen inside without the ball, and the ball goes to Kobe outside the 3 pt line with 6-7 seconds on the shot clock, is a blown play. The "triangle" never gets started because the entry pass never gets made, either because the PG didn't see it, didn't get there quick enough, or because the pass was too difficult for some reason. And don't get me started on all those times (against Boston) when the pass to Gasol was inside and low, or sometimes a freakin' bounce pass, that gets slapped away by Rasheed or Big Baby. All these things happen because the pass is late, and because the pass isn't to the exact right spot, and because the whole offense isn't "snapping" and executing the way it should.

Hello, Steve Blake.

errrr, how about "Shake n Bake" for a nickname? I still like B-Lake and LoL Snow Flake

New Power House
07-06-2010, 02:45 PM
*sigh* Blake is a definite upgrade over Fisher. He is also 5 years younger. His 3pt % is much higher, and he is regarded as a "superb" passer and playmaker.

Nobody, not even the most radical Laker fans, ever said that Fisher was a "superb" passer. We all know that Fisher's game is basically take the shot when it's there, otherwise pass to Kobe and don't make any mistakes. And in the past three years, Fisher has been getting beat on defense by opposing point guards, and at times his shooting has been so bad that it is simply unreal. In the 2008 playoffs, he shot something like .012 from the field, which was brutal, and just kept jacking up shot after shot after shot. I remember being at the gym watching the game, and every time the ball went to him everybody in the place just groaned *noooo, don't shoot* and then he'd brick another one.

I mean Fisher has managed to take less shots the past two years, and make some clutch ones... but still, I mean, c'mon. Blake was the top free agent point guard out there, AND he is a player who will deeply benefit from Phil's coaching and start taking the triangle to another level and executing it perfectly.

So when Pau or Bynum shake free from their post defender for a second and lift their hand, the ball is right there and they are catching it. Don't you get tired of seeing the ball go around, Pau or Bynum front their defender, but Fisher, Brown or Farmar look left, look right, hesitate, then the defender gets position again, then the ball goes back to Kobe with 7 seconds on the shot clock.

Basically, everytime the bigs get frozen inside without the ball, and the ball goes to Kobe outside the 3 pt line with 6-7 seconds on the shot clock, is a blown play. The "triangle" never gets started because the entry pass never gets made, either because the PG didn't see it, didn't get there quick enough, or because the pass was too difficult for some reason. And don't get me started on all those times (against Boston) when the pass to Gasol was inside and low, or sometimes a freakin' bounce pass, that gets slapped away by Rasheed or Big Baby. All these things happen because the pass is late, and because the pass isn't to the exact right spot, and because the whole offense isn't "snapping" and executing the way it should.

Hello, Steve Blake.

errrr, how about "Shake n Bake" for a nickname? I still like B-Lake and LoL Snow Flake

Well written! I just want to add that he can be call "The Watch Dog!" Now we have four of them!

New Power House
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Farmar wasnt coming back unloess he was starting, so that scenario wouldnt work. Either way we need to get a capable point and we got him. Yea, I probably woulda wnated Miller, but I trust Mitch, with giving us 3 straight Finals app and 2 straight titles. So I think we'll be fine. He has a plan here, thoguh I dont ko it, I trust him.

Miller was a long shot and he has a body that is breaking down every year. Great shooter and a decent passer,but too expensive. Blake fills the biggest need by providing the same 3 point shooting and healthier body for a lot of less! Bus is a genius and Phil is probably dancing now! Fisher maybe thinking on the past when he went to the Warriors. Fisher will actually extend his carrier by staying here for less. If he goes for the money he will have to run more to earn it. There will not be Paul,Bynum and Kobe to give him the open looks that he had here!

evadatam5150
07-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Yep that's basically it in a nutshell.. ;)

Anilyzer
07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Yep that's basically it in a nutshell.. ;)

Farmar is clearly not on the same level as Steve Blake. The Lakers could've extended or re-signed Farmar at any point in time, and they've been trying him out for years. Totally different kind of player.

Also, whether or not they sign or don't sign Mike Miller, an aging and somewhat fragile PF who is a very good outside shooter, has nothing to do with how good of a point guard we have.

Now, if you're saying that Blake is not that much better than Farmar, and that we could've just re-signed Farmar and that would be the same thing as Blake... I'd say that's wrong. All year long, and for the past couple years, the Lakers have struggled with Fisher jacking up shots at a low percentage and not passing the ball or defending very well, terrible mental mistakes by Farmar along with inconsistent shooting and shaky defense, and Shannon Brown being more of a shooting guard type that doesn't run the offense very well.

And remember, Shannon Brown "pushed" everybody -- last year when Shannon Brown emerged, it forced Farmar and Fisher to up their game quite a lot; before Shannon Brown, Fisher and Farmar were sucking so bad at times that I would often wonder why the **** can't the Lakers get a decent point guard. When Shannon arrived, you could see how Farmar looked every time Shannon made a 3 or a dunk, and all the phoney high fives, like "wheee, high five dude, you just cost me 4 million bucks". Nevertheless, Farmar stopped hot dog passing the ball out of bounds and his game got a bit tighter, and Fisher managed to will some of his shots into the hoop *somehow*, and get rid of the ball as quickly as possible to Kobe and Pau and stay out of the way, thus preserving his "solid and consistent" PG image.

Anyways... obviously adding a very good PG to the mix is exactly what the Lakers need. Cutting Farmar is addition by subtraction, even if we didn't sign Blake. Fisher is getting older, so keeping him or not is basically the same... if I was the coach, I'd look at the chemistry with Fisher... if you keep Fisher is he gonna be trying to impose his will on the PG position, and teach his bad habits to Blake? Shannon Brown has a lot of talent, and maybe keeping him would be good, but his contract situation isn't optimal.

Blake/Brown/Sasha would be good... but again, Brown and Sasha are definitely NOT frontline NBA point guards.

Blake/Fisher/Sasha on paper seems better, except that Fisher is getting older, plays less minutes, and is kind of set in his ways and is liable to be trying to compete with Blake too much and too preoccupied with minutes etc.
It's kind of a bad sign that Fisher was talking about signing a 4 year contract somewhere... he's clearly lost a step and keeping a player who is struggling to stay in the league and stay as a starter won't help the other players to advance and take chances in the triangle. Yeah he's been clutch the past two years at some crucial moments, but you never know, he might take 100 more of those last second shots and miss everyone. Having a reputation as a last minute miracle shooter is not something you can really bank on.