PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think that this free agency/salary cap is good for the NBA?

Giants99
07-04-2010, 06:24 PM
It is garbage to have all of this player movement and teams tanking seasons to get free agents.

Current system should remain in place, but there should be no cap whatsoever to what teams can pay to a guy they drafted. So the cavs should be able to pay Lebron however much a season if they want, but only be charged the current "max" contract towards the salary cap. And other teams could only pay him the "max" contract amount.

Because this is garbage to be honest with you. NBA should stop this crap with free agents determining winners and super teams and crap and get back to good drafting giving you titles.

Sly Guy
07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
the reason why they have the cap is that so big market teams like LA and Boston can't spend double the cap on salary to the disadvantage of the other franchises to dominate the league. Oh, wait.....

ManRam
07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I see nothing wrong with the current system. I think it's really good. I'm not even for a hard cap. I think teams willing to spend more money should be able to...without it getting ridiculous like in the MLB.

And I also am 100% for the players having the power instead of the teams. If three players want to get together, take less money, all in order to win, then so be it.

Bluffmasta
07-04-2010, 06:31 PM
its fine how it is, when was the last time a bunch of free agents signed to a team and won the championship that year ? cuz i really cant remeber one in recent times.

Also who really cares, these players played for the team taht drafted them ( wade lebron and bosh) gave them 6 or 7 years, the team tried to build awinner around them ( beside wade) they all failed, they have earned the right to be a free agent and should have the right to go sign where they want too. Who cares if two of them join a team together they still need to get past pretty much any team in the west who has a good core and solid bench.

Giants99
07-04-2010, 06:33 PM
the reason why they have the cap is that so big market teams like LA and Boston can't spend double the cap on salary to the disadvantage of the other franchises to dominate the league. Oh, wait.....

I get the reason, but i think if you draft a guy, you should be able to hold on to them.

I am not saying get rid of the cap, but make exception so that teams who draft a player should be able to pay these superstars however much they are worth.

Because Lebron is much better player then Josh Johnson, and they get the same pay.... Its stupid.

Bishnoff
07-04-2010, 06:43 PM
its fine how it is, when was the last time a bunch of free agents signed to a team and won the championship that year ? Cuz i really cant remeber one in recent times.

Also who really cares, these players played for the team taht drafted them ( wade lebron and bosh) gave them 6 or 7 years, the team tried to build awinner around them ( beside wade) they all failed, they have earned the right to be a free agent and should have the right to go sign where they want too. Who cares if two of them join a team together they still need to get past pretty much any team in the west who has a good core and solid bench.

+1

Sly Guy
07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
nah, but what I'm saying is that by the current standard, it requires $90mil or so in salary to be at the top echelon of the league and be realistically considered a contender, well it doesn't matter how well you draft or for how long, eventually those rookie contracts end and you'll be forced to pay the going rate, which is prohibitive to any number of franchises.

The soft cap doesn't work for leveling the playing field of competitiveness across the league. But I get the sense that leveling the playing field isn't as important as drawing the biggest revenue, in which case it's already the league's best interest to see it's bigger market teams do well.

Sly Guy
07-04-2010, 06:45 PM
its fine how it is, when was the last time a bunch of free agents signed to a team and won the championship that year ? cuz i really cant remeber one in recent times.

it may not have been free agency, but you could take a similar situation to what boston did a few years back.

Holydiver
07-04-2010, 06:47 PM
the backlash is dramatic. people cant put food on the table and these selfish *****es are getting 119 million for 6 years of dribbling a basketball.

It is making the NBA look like the inmates run the asylum.

well, they really do

Giants99
07-04-2010, 07:04 PM

The Celtics....

Giants99
07-04-2010, 07:09 PM
nah, but what I'm saying is that by the current standard, it requires $90mil or so in salary to be at the top echelon of the league and be realistically considered a contender, well it doesn't matter how well you draft or for how long, eventually those rookie contracts end and you'll be forced to pay the going rate, which is prohibitive to any number of franchises.

NBA teams can afford to pay the players dude. And if they truly cant, the NBA should contract a handful of teams...

Heater4life
07-04-2010, 07:12 PM
the backlash is dramatic. people cant put food on the table and these selfish *****es are getting 119 million for 6 years of dribbling a basketball.

It is making the NBA look like the inmates run the asylum.

well, they really do

If I offer you that contract for w.e it is you do, you'd take it. They make that salary because we put our butts in the seats evertime they play. They're not the selfish people we need to worry about. those guys wear suits.

But anyway, the system is fine. People are just upset that they're teams dont have a play in free agency. and its become a big media frenzy. tough ****.

Jeff559
07-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I get the reason, but i think if you draft a guy, you should be able to hold on to them.

I am not saying get rid of the cap, but make exception so that teams who draft a player should be able to pay these superstars however much they are worth.

Because Lebron is much better player then Josh Johnson, and they get the same pay.... Its stupid.
um....joe johnson?

Kakaroach
07-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I agree, this current system is fine. At least it doesn't allow big market teams to do whatever the hell they want like in the MLB. Every summer a team gets an MLE they choose to spend the money on or not. And the luxury tax is a good system too, granted it sort of favors big market teams but again, its a good system. I also love the fact it gives the team that has the bird rights on that player to offer him more money.

Bluffmasta
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
The Celtics....

if i remeber correctly KG was acquired via trade and so was ray allen, i dont remember teh celtics signing those two outright, celtics were also over the cap so they had to match salaries and i dont think this thread is about trades, i thought it was pure FA

PurpleJesus
07-05-2010, 11:34 PM
this free agency period is good for the game because it even has people like me fiance talking about it...she hates sports. the NBA is getting a lot of attention right now...a lot of attention is a good thing for a sport.