PDA

View Full Version : NBA Contracts?

thephoenixson28
07-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Would it be a lot better if the nba gave out just 1 year contracts?Just a thought.

DerekRE_3
07-04-2010, 06:07 PM
It would be for whoever signs Tim Thomas.

Catfish1314
07-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Maybe for teams but not for players. For players, this is their job and when you have a job, one of the most important things to have is security. Not much security on a 1 year contract.

philab
07-04-2010, 06:10 PM
I see absolutely no advantages in that proposal. Stupid, stupid idea.

bahama0811
07-04-2010, 06:12 PM
No, horrible idea.

ManRam
07-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Why? If you are going to start a thread like this, please enlighten us as to why it's a good idea? Especially since I am really digging deep for answers myself. I don't get it.

IndyFan
07-04-2010, 06:18 PM
there is nothing that prevents the teams and players from agreeing to 1 year contracts right now. :shrug:

any team that wanted to could offer only 1 year contracts if they wanted. the problem is, other teams would offer longer term contracts and sign all the better players.

:)

IndyFan
07-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Why? If you are going to start a thread like this, please enlighten us as to why it's a good idea? Especially since I am really digging deep for answers myself. I don't get it.

the reason it is a 'good' idea for the teams, should be obvious. especially to NYK fans. two words. eddy curry.

teams that could still be competative and offer 1 year contracts would always be able to sign the players they needed during the summer.

the players would not be happy as they do not have long term security. and would be more likely to move from team to team. hard on the families.

:)

thephoenixson28
07-04-2010, 06:25 PM
With a 1 year deal you won't have players like stephon marbury eating up all your salary to be sitting at home.

xabial
07-04-2010, 06:26 PM

I think hes trying to say this is a way to end bad contracts in the NBA. Is it a stupid idea? Yes. The way to end bad contracts, is to give teams the ability to offer unguaranteed contracts like the NFL. That way some players dont just sit,eat,grow fat and get injured knowing they'll still get paid. (i.e. Eddy Curry)

thephoenixson28
07-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Maybe for teams but not for players. For players, this is their job and when you have a job, one of the most important things to have is security. Not much security on a 1 year contract. Exactly its the teams that pay the players. With this type of deal players would work even harder for a contract. That's why boxing has lost its fans no matter win or lose you get 25 million. A boxer can just act like he got knocked out, then boom 25 mill richer.

thephoenixson28
07-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I think hes trying to say this is a way to end bad contracts in the NBA. Is it a stupid idea? Yes. The way to end bad contracts, is to give teams the ability to offer unguaranteed contracts like the NFL. That way some players dont just sit,eat,grow fat and get injured knowing they'll still get paid. (i.e. Eddy Curry) This is better

Catfish1314
07-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Exactly its the teams that pay the players. With this type of deal players would work even harder for a contract. That's why boxing has lost its fans no matter win or lose you get 25 million. A boxer can just act like he got knocked out, then boom 25 mill richer.

Yeah but the teams could suffer from it too. A player they have has a breakout year and they're suddenly worth a crap load of money and that team can't afford to break the bank for that one player. They're screwed out of their player.

xabial
07-04-2010, 06:39 PM
This is better

Yea, Too bad its unikely thats going to be added in the near future. Man the Hawks are ****** up with JJ's contract. :laugh2:

RaiderLakersA's
07-04-2010, 06:50 PM
No. Let's forget the money for a minute. Let's consider this notion in terms of competition. There are very few coaches that can implement a system in one year. There are also very few players who can develop their skills in one year, let alone learn said system in one year. If you think that some teams suck now, wait until you see what those teams would look like if they had no way of retaining anyone beyond a season.

And you can throw the notion of competitive balance out of the window. Consider a team like the Lakers with an owner who doesn't mind paying a high luxury tax year in and year out. If the Lakers were able to easily discard all of their underperforming players after a championship season, you'd see a massive exodus of talent to championship caliber teams every season. Eventually, inevitably, the league would be reduced to the same 2 - 3 teams that would compete for a title every year. That's great if you're one of those teams. Not so great, I imagine, for the rest of the NBA as a whole.

Believe it or not, the failures that come with team building are as essential to the league as its superstars.

IndyFan
07-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I think hes trying to say this is a way to end bad contracts in the NBA. Is it a stupid idea? Yes. The way to end bad contracts, is to give teams the ability to offer unguaranteed contracts like the NFL. That way some players dont just sit,eat,grow fat and get injured knowing they'll still get paid. (i.e. Eddy Curry)

teams currently have the ability to offer unguaranteed contracts. the only contracts that have to be guaranteed are the 1st round rookie contracts. all other contracts may be guaranteed or not.

the reason a team doesn't do this, it simple. the good players will sign with teams that guarantee their contracts.

:shrug:

Human FlameShld
07-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Would it be a lot better if the nba gave out just 1 year contracts?Just a thought.

Basically your saying have every player in the league be a free agent every year. A few years ago Kobe Bryant was almost traded...he would have just walked destroying the Lakers.

One issue with a teammate or a coach, one bad year, one injury can completely destroy a franchise.

You don't build championship teams if without a core group of guys having played together for a while and developing a routine and knowing how to cover each others faults. This is an interesting idea but personally I think it could destroy the game. Of course if the Sixers could put Elton Brands contract on one year I'd be happy.

WolvesJagsOs
07-04-2010, 08:24 PM
sorry, but i dont see the point of this. Would hate to buy a jersey if its possible he could be gone the next year lol. jk. But i would hate this.

xabial
07-04-2010, 10:35 PM
teams currently have the ability to offer unguaranteed contracts. the only contracts that have to be guaranteed are the 1st round rookie contracts. all other contracts may be guaranteed or not.

the reason a team doesn't do this, it simple. the good players will sign with teams that guarantee their contracts.

:shrug:

I want there to be no such thing as guarenteed contracts in the NBA. I want all Contracts to be partly guarenteed or not guarenteed at all, so players have to work their *** off to earn their $. Eddy Curry got paid more than 10M last year to play 10 minutes.

If all contracts are unguarenteed or partly guarenteed like the NFL It will reduce bad contracts, and bad management drastically.

The Raven
07-05-2010, 06:48 AM
I dont think so