PDA

View Full Version : Lakers open talks with Fisher

Avenged
07-04-2010, 01:51 AM
The Los Angeles Lakers have opened negotiations with Derek Fisher and while no deal is in place, a source close to the negotiations told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher they are confident the point guard will return to the Lakers next season.

Fisher, who won his fifth title with Los Angeles last month, has said he wants to come back to the Lakers.

The Lakers did reach out to Fisher in the opening hours of free agency, but could have difficulty re-signing the veteran if he gets a lucrative offer from another team. Los Angeles already is well over the projected salary cap for next season even before filling out its roster.

The start of contract talks with Fisher come a day after the Lakers signed Steve Blake. The veteran point guard could replace the 35-year-old Fisher as the team's starting point guard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5353414

A step in the right direction. Now lets get it done!

kblo247
07-04-2010, 01:52 AM
:pray: Come on Fish and come on Mitch, meet in the damn middle.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-04-2010, 01:56 AM
He will sign, no worries!

LA Faithful
07-04-2010, 02:12 AM
He's the heart of this team. His worth outweighs his age. He learned how it was to not be a Laker and I would bet, he didn't like it.

shep33
07-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Okay we're set for pg now.

Unfortunately we got a lot of pieces we still have to sign:

-A vet big
-A backup sg
-A backup sf

Really if we get a guy to play the 3... like a Tmac and a vet big we'd be fine. And by fine I mean 3 peat.

kblo247
07-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Okay we're set for pg now.

Unfortunately we got a lot of pieces we still have to sign:

-A vet big
-A backup sg
-A backup sf

You doubt, The Machine, in a contract year?

LAdiablo
07-04-2010, 02:43 AM
this will get done no question. i think its better they did it this way, signing blake first than to lowball fish and bring blake in w 4/16. fish will get the fact that the team just got better wout feeling like we pissed on him

enserio
07-04-2010, 02:56 AM
opening up talks really means that the FO is willing to consider more money and/or performance incentives. All the way around, good shiznit. We need the voice of reason on our 3peat squad.

shep33
07-04-2010, 02:58 AM

Haha, never the Machine is invulnerable to the venom of the Mamba. Indestructable.

I shoulda said that we need a g/sf, someone like McGrady who can take off either Ron or Kobe so they don't have to play so much.

Check this lineup out off our bench:

Blake
Sasha
Tmac
LO
Joe Smith/Craig Smith/Kurt Thomas

This would be such a huge upgrade from last season. At least we have some vets out there if we could snag Tmac/Thomas... I like Craig Smith though, big body, can score on the block. Prolly too expensive.

The Raven
07-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Good to see they are gonna try and work something out one more time. Hopefully this time it can get done cos we need Fish on this team

LAKERS4LIFE!!
07-04-2010, 03:15 AM
I hope so bad we get tmac ... He's hungry & still has game!!!!

robdizzle3
07-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Great to see. Fisher needs to be back here. grab Mac and Joel Anthony and im straight.

BrewinRamLakers
07-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Let's start a Bring Fisher Back to LA Fund.

BigGuy951
07-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Sweeet let's bring 'em back! I want McGrady too. Really bad.

Black24Momba8
07-04-2010, 03:42 AM
thats great news make it happen

Lakerfan8032
07-04-2010, 03:43 AM
He will sign, no worries!

What I've thought. He is just trying to maximize his leverage for as much money as he can get.

Lakerfan8032
07-04-2010, 03:47 AM

I can't believe anyone would be comfortable with Sasha after the two horrible seasons he's put together, contract year or not. I'm hoping he can be traded for some value but who would want him even in the last year of his deal. However, this is the NBA and I've seen so many stupid deals happen that it is possible.

DownUnder
07-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Start at at least 2yr/8M and work from there. Fish and Blake are worth equal at least. Fish starts and finishes, Blake plays the middle.

BigGuy951
07-04-2010, 03:49 AM
He's being sarcastic, dude haha.

dru5151
07-04-2010, 04:11 AM
I have faith in the machine. He will be back in 2010/2011.

The Machine: Revenge of the Fallen

BigGuy951
07-04-2010, 04:13 AM
The playoffs made my confidence in him shoot way up. I think he'll have solid numbers on the bench this year.

PraiseJesus
07-04-2010, 04:47 AM
thank god

lakerman
07-04-2010, 10:26 AM
this will get done no question. i think its better they did it this way, signing blake first than to lowball fish and bring blake in w 4/16. fish will get the fact that the team just got better wout feeling like we pissed on him

Why does soooo...... many people think Blake is the answer to our points guard needs, he's not this just my opinion. Our biggest problem was defensive point guard Blake is no way a defensive point guard, I think we are worst off if you ask me. the problem was at least containing some of these point guards, and Blake can not do it we maybe better at scoring on his end, but when it comes to defending it's not going to happen... I really don't like this move paying him more than fisher, don't get me wrong he can score,his defense is suspect.

lakerman
07-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I can't believe anyone would be comfortable with Sasha after the two horrible seasons he's put together, contract year or not. I'm hoping he can be traded for some value but who would want him even in the last year of his deal. However, this is the NBA and I've seen so many stupid deals happen that it is possible.

Let me tell you something, Sasha was playing great before he got hurt, plus if phil would play him more then he would produce that was our problem in the beginning phil wasn't playing our reserve enuff that's why they didn't produce.

NFLNBA
07-04-2010, 11:07 AM
T-Mac is not going to come to LA and take the vets min and a bench spot r u guys serious? A Team will give him more money and a starter spot

If Fisher resigns we are already a better team with Blake! We will sign a nother vet also IMO and it will make our bench 10x better then last year

Bench 2011

Blake
Sasha
Odom
Kurt Thomas
Bynum or Gasol since we leave one of them out there at all times

Walton
Ebanks
Caracter

Lakeshow86
07-04-2010, 11:24 AM
well, I heard a rumor that the Lakers are looking in the 2.5 to 3 million range for Fisher. Fish might be thinking because he saved the lakers in the playoffs he deserves the same money he makes now even though he played like crap for most of the season. I Think if thats how Fish feels than he needs to look at reality. The reality is that he played like crap having career lows accross the board in stats. 38% field goal and 34% three pointers and playing pretty bad defense as well. Does that deserve 5 million a game? I dont think so. He needs to be remined that he's being paid for a whole season. Not just a few games during the playoffs. Id say pay him a max of 4 million. The same that Blake is making and call it a day

Avenged
07-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Why does soooo...... many people think Blake is the answer to our points guard needs, he's not this just my opinion. Our biggest problem was defensive point guard Blake is no way a defensive point guard, I think we are worst off if you ask me. the problem was at least containing some of these point guards, and Blake can not do it we maybe better at scoring on his end, but when it comes to defending it's not going to happen... I really don't like this move paying him more than fisher, don't get me wrong he can score,his defense is suspect.

Let me tell you something, Sasha was playing great before he got hurt, plus if phil would play him more then he would produce that was our problem in the beginning phil wasn't playing our reserve enuff that's why they didn't produce.

Blake is the perfect PG to compliment Fisher and he's not as bad as a defender that you're making him out to be.

The problem was finding perimeter shooting. Blake is more than eligible to cover that while having an okay passing game and see's the floor really well. In a system like the Lakers have, he's the type of player who will flourish. There's a reason the Lakers offered him that length of a contract as it shows they're very high on him.

Kobe has also came out and expressed his love for Blake, and Artest has welcomed him with open arms.

Sasha showed glimpses of 1/2 of his old self at the end of the season. A bit too late and it was unfortunate he went down due to injury when he was slowly coming back.

Our reserves played the amount of minutes they should in my opinion. They're reserves for a reason and they're not going to get heavy minutes when the starting lineup consists of Kobe/Artest/Pau/Bynum and even Odom who would be a starter on 25+ teams.

Avenged
07-04-2010, 12:44 PM
The Lakers have opened contract negotiations with Derek Fisher -- no deal is in place but the team is confident that their veteran PG will return next season.

Fisher wants to return to L.A. but may find himself playing a backup role now that Steve Blake has been signed. Earlier talks hit a snag over money, as the Lakers are already well above the salary cap and don't want to pay exorbitantly for 35-year-old Fisher

-Rotoworld

gr824
07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Start at at least 2yr/8M and work from there. Fish and Blake are worth equal at least. Fish starts and finishes, Blake plays the middle.

I would tend to agree with you on this matter:

Initially, when reports indicated that the Lakers wanted to get Derek for $2.5 million a year and Fisher was evidently holding fast at $5 mil/year, my thought was that Fisher would ultimately agree to a two year contract for $7.5 million total. However, now that other teams may be upping the ante with bids for Fisher -- either to hamstring the Lakers in negotiations or to try to diminish them greatly by stealing him away -- AND the Lakers themselves have set a high bar by apparently establishing PG worth at $4 million per season with Blake, I believe Fisher has solid grounds to get at least the pact you propose, perhaps even a bit more in $$$s since it is a shorter term commitment ...

I am sure the Lakers thought that any interest from others in Fisher would be limited by his age and that, once they had signed a quality FA like Blake, Fisher would start to feel insecure enough about his future to reup immediately. But the Lakers may have miscalculated ...

Competing contender franchises may give substantial contract offers to Derek, figuring they will get better by addition as a result if they succeed in luring him away while, through that very action, they would also make the Lakers weaker by subtraction. On top of that, Fisher himself now will become competitive, if not combative, in negotiations since I am sure he believes he has more to offer Los Angeles in terms of championship credentials than does Blake, who the Lakers themselves have now established as a $4 million player, or Brown or Farmar, who the Lakers similarly had 'verified' previously as $2 million men ...

This whole process could become long and drawn out and might get ugly. If Fisher winds up eventually leaving, then the Laker may have a very hard time becoming better next season than they were in June. I hope Buss opens his checkbook in this one area where he can, so the Lakers do not have to scramble around this summer in areas where he cannot, trying desperately to find more backcourt help for 2010-2011 ...

Lakeshow86
07-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I think Fisher just trying to play hardball with Lakers. I Dont think any team is going to offer fish more than 4 million. He aint going to get 5 million from anyone. If some dumb team offers 5 million than they can have him. Blake is just as good if not better than Fish at this point and he's getting 4 million.

RollinDeep
07-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Fish isn't worth 5 mil anymore, but he deserves around 4.

New Power House
07-04-2010, 03:13 PM

Fisher,now sees that Steve will help him to extend his carrier in the NBA. Fish will be able to take more minutes relaxing on the bench. Blake is kind of the same player that Fish is.I even think that Blake is more consistent than Fish and younger. Fish is the 2nd clutch player behind Kobe.:speechless:

New Power House
07-04-2010, 03:16 PM

It will all depends how fast this guy gets comfortable in the system. This guy is more consistent and experience than Farmar,Brown and Sasha put together. This guy knows how to pass and he is a very decent shooter in general and is 40% from downtown!

New Power House
07-04-2010, 03:26 PM

One thing is for sure and is that this guy is way better than Farmar and Brown together. So,from this perspective Blake will produce at both ends more consistently and more effectively than Farmar and Brown.It is not a huge upgrade but an upgrade after all. Now if the Lakers balace the bench more by bringing another guy of this caliber plus other players that can perform just slightly better than Mbenga,Powell and Morrison they will be more than ready for next year challenges. T Mac, Juwan Howard, and LR or Brown can do the job. These players can produce at least 30% more of what the other set of players produced last year. Also we have potentially Ebanks, Caracter and maybe another guy from the SL to come and help. Caracter is maybe better than Powell and Ebanks maybe better than Morrison.

lakers08
07-04-2010, 03:39 PM
fisher first then t mac and get dacos back to play center.:clap:

rjvacad
07-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Those who say Fish is not worth 5 mil a year really knows nothing about what Fish does for this team. They would not be back to back champs nor will they win a 3 peat without him, period.

LifeLongLaker
07-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Those who say Fish is not worth 5 mil a year really knows nothing about what Fish does for this team. They would not be back to back champs nor will they win a 3 peat without him, period.

well said!!!

Bruno
07-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Two years, seven million + championship incentives. Get it done Mitch.

lakers4sho
07-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Fish isn't worth 5 mil anymore, but he deserves around 4.

Keep going.

myqntab
07-04-2010, 10:50 PM
it would be nice if we could offer 3 mil/yr with a bonus of 2 mil for reaching the finals....but players union would never allow i dont think....maybe gr824 can shed some light on that one.

gr824
07-04-2010, 11:28 PM
it would be nice if we could offer 3 mil/yr with a bonus of 2 mil for reaching the finals....but players union would never allow i dont think....maybe gr824 can shed some light on that one.

Incentives are usually coupled to personal performance statistical goals or individual achievements/accolades, but certain kinds of team success benchmarks can also be 'referenced'. Potential bonuses are classified by the league as either 'likely' or 'unlikely' bonuses, with the 'unlikely' variety limited to 25% of a player's base salary ...

So what might this mean to Fisher ?

Well, perhaps something like the following salary structure would work for Fisher, the Lakers, and the league:

$3.2 million in base salary [ Year One ]

$1 million in associated 'likely' bonuses [ e.g., Fisher hits at least 75% of his FTs and scores more than 7 PPG and/or the Lakers win at least 50 games ]

$800,000 in 'unlikely' bonuses attached [ e.g., Fisher hits 40% of his 3s; the Lakers win 65 games and the title :clap: ]

Max raise of 10.5% applies to salary and bonuses in Year Two [ of two-year contract ], maybe with the Lakers holding a team option [ negotiable ] ...

myqntab
07-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Incentives are usually coupled to personal performance statistical goals or individual achievements/accolades, but certain kinds of team success benchmarks can also be 'referenced'. Potential bonuses are classified by the league as either 'likely' or 'unlikely' bonuses, with the 'unlikely' variety limited to 25% of a player's base salary ...

So what might this mean to Fisher ?

Well, perhaps something like the following salary structure would work for Fisher, the Lakers, and the league:

$3.2 million in base salary [ Year One ]

$1 million in associated 'likely' bonuses [ e.g., Fisher hits at least 75% of his FTs and scores more than 7 PPG and/or the Lakers win at least 50 games ]

$800,000 in 'unlikely' bonuses attached [ e.g., Fisher hits 40% of his 3s; the Lakers win 65 games and the title :clap: ]

Max raise of 10.5% applies to salary and bonuses in Year Two [ of two-year contract ], maybe with the Lakers holding a team option [ negotiable ] ...

so technically, we can give fish what he wants assuming certain conditions are met....all of which culminate in a laker parade next june :D

Iceman_9
07-05-2010, 02:26 AM
cmon fishy...

KillaInstinct24
07-05-2010, 04:26 AM
2 years 6.5 mill come on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raven19
07-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Damn.. All this waiting for FA signings is killing me... Sign already D-Fish..

DeadMemories
07-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Exactly what i was thinking numbers wise and PT wise. :clap:

LivinLakers
07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Two years, seven million + championship incentives. Get it done Mitch.

Nailed it!!! That is exactly what I was thinking. Make the ring the thing that pays.

BrewinRamLakers
07-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Hopefully this won't end up dragging out like last year's Odom contract did.

thepaul
07-05-2010, 04:11 PM
nailed it!!! That is exactly what i was thinking. Make the ring the thing that pays.

x2

thepaul
07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I have faith in the machine. He will be back in 2010/2011.

The Machine: Revenge of the Fallen

I saw stuff like this a million times... since sasha started to play in lakers uniform, he had just 1 good season which was his contract year.

I'm just tired about him. he don't deserve the money they gave him, no question. Every year the same story, he will play better, have faith and stuff...time to stop it. Trade him now.

JNA17
07-05-2010, 08:26 PM
guys, he's resigning, i said this before, he's resigning 100%, no matter what BS rumor you hear about it otherwise, I'm not worried and other lakers fans should not be worried either

New Power House
07-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I saw stuff like this a million times... since sasha started to play in lakers uniform, he had just 1 good season which was his contract year.

I'm just tired about him. he don't deserve the money they gave him, no question. Every year the same story, he will play better, have faith and stuff...time to stop it. Trade him now.

Are you talking about Odom?:rolleyes:

ParkingLotAttnt
07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I think I would offer Fisher 2y $8M dont wanna sign him to, too much more than as I think he's close to done

#1chickhearnfan
07-05-2010, 09:34 PM
The only person that Kobe has said he respects publicly.The only one he says he listens to. The First one Kobe looks to for a big shot. This should be a no brainer for Mitch. YOU BETTER PAY HIM!!!!!!