PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe a Vet or in his Prime?

Dev Tha Kid
07-03-2010, 12:24 PM
What do you guys think, is Kobe a Vet, not in his prime
or just in his prime

dodie53
07-03-2010, 12:25 PM
vet

still1ballin
07-03-2010, 12:26 PM
vet

gwrighter
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
your a vet when you got 14 seasons on those knees. If you factor in all the playoff games, hes played almost 20 seasons!

bahama0811
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
vet.

Melo15
07-03-2010, 12:29 PM
vet without a doubt

r8derguy805
07-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Kobe basically has 16 seasons under his belt. 14 reg and over 180+ playoff games which is eq to 2 seasons. And he is still the bes tat what he does.

kswissdaf
07-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Kobe showed signs of breaking down this season with all those injuries, players that come straight of HS break down earlier

Kakaroach
07-03-2010, 12:38 PM
He's going to be 32 and even though he had some injuries this year, I'm going to say Vet. I don't see how you can't.

Ebbs
07-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah I think he is a little past his prime now.

J4KOP99
07-03-2010, 12:46 PM
He's old as hell. He sucks now, did you see what he did in game 7 against the Celtics???????!! How did he still get the MVP?

KillaInstinct24
07-03-2010, 12:48 PM
kobe was in his prime when he hit 81, and those four or give 50 pt games in a row lol

The Raven
07-03-2010, 12:49 PM
He's old as hell. He sucks now, did you see what he did in game 7 against the Celtics???????!! How did he still get the MVP?

the fk?

kobemelo
07-03-2010, 12:49 PM
kobe is still keyword still in his prime but odv. the door is coming to a close
he's still at the top of his game but with injuries and age etc. he's not the same as he was when he was 26 or 27

tedthewalrus
07-03-2010, 12:50 PM

I hope that was a joke? :facepalm:

kbaxter34
07-03-2010, 12:53 PM
vet, hes already played in 14 season at the tender age of 31. Most superstars play somewhere between 15-20 seasons so he is definitely entering the end of his career. His body is breaking down more and he doesn't have the lift he once had. He will continue to dominate for a couple more years but its going to be hard for him to stay healthy with so many minutes on those legs. If he picks up 2 more rings in the next 3 seasons, I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire at the end of his current contract after the 2013-14 season.

gr824
07-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Bryant had 15 rebounds in Game Seven ...

For the series:

28.6 PPG/8 RPG/3.9 APG/2.1 SPG while playing more than 41 MPG ...

Raidaz4Life
07-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Prime

Avenged
07-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Definitely not in his prime, he's a vet playing at a high level.

COBY KARL
07-03-2010, 01:36 PM

For the series:

He was being sarcastic :facepalm:

Penetra8r
07-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Like a well maintained Toyota, had oil changes every 3,000 miles and current odometer reading at 250,000 miles

He can run till pushing close to 300,000 miles

kArSoN RyDaH
07-03-2010, 02:37 PM
kobes not in his prime bc in his prime he was averaging 35 ppg which he no longer needs to do to win. hes a vet.

Raidaz4Life
07-03-2010, 03:06 PM
kobes not in his prime bc in his prime he was averaging 35 ppg which he no longer needs to do to win. hes a vet.

I attribute that more to the acquisition of a better team more so than Kobe being any less of a player than he was when he averaged over 30 a game.

BrewinRamLakers
07-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Vet

Bruno
07-03-2010, 06:10 PM

Probably because he killed it in the other six games, and because he pulled down 15 rebounds in game seven? The winner of every single game in the finals was also the winner of the boards, and Bryant single handedly got more rebounds than KG, Wallace, and Ray Allen, combined.

Theres more to the game than just scoring baskets.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 06:12 PM

For the series:

Some fans only see scoring. The average NBA fan (that's you Bill Plashkey- ya moron) has no respect for intangibles, such as a shooting guard pulling down 15 rebounds. Which was more than the other teams starting Center, Power-forward, and shooting guard COMBINED.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't think this question can be answered yet.

At the start of the 2009-2010 season when Gasol was out Bryant was playing out of the post and averaging a career high FG% (large in part due to his off-season training with The Dream). His efficiency continued to be at a career high level until the finger, ankle, and knee injuries. Even with those injuries, and after 115+ games under his belt he still averaged 28.6 ppg, 8rpg (huge, huge stat), 3.9 apg, 2.1 spg, against the best defense in the NBA.

I want to see how Bryant recovers this off-season now that he'll finally have a summer of nothing but rest. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't- but what he did this post season with all those injuries makes me think he is still on the trail end of his prime, coming up to the end of that plateau.

He didn't have the best % against Boston, but who does? Have you all already forgotten how brilliant he was against Utah and Phoenix?

2010 WCF vs The Suns
33.7 ppg, 8.3 apg, 7.2 rpg, .8 spg, 1.2 bpg, 2.5 Tos, 52% FG, 42% three-point shooting, 88% FT%, 41.5 mpg. This was the best series he's ever had with the Lakers, statistically.

Funny how one bad shooting night (even though he dominated the glass) makes people think he's not in his prime- considering he had just had the best series of his life a few weeks earlier, while still injured).

J4KOP99
07-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough.

TheHoopsProphet
07-03-2010, 07:28 PM
No one should vindicate Kobe's game 7, it was a bad performance and you're crazy if you think otherwise. The 15 boards were nice, but he missed a lot of bad shots that almost had this team be stuck at 15 championships. It was a tough defense, he should have only taken the shots that were well-advised and stuck with 15 fga. In a tough defense like Boston's you have to facilitate.

Rskinz101
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I say both haha. Put it like this Wade, James, Melo are in there prime and Kobe plays better then them and averages around the same range as them so idk see how he aint both.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 10:40 PM
No one should vindicate Kobe's game 7, it was a bad performance and you're crazy if you think otherwise. The 15 boards were nice, but he missed a lot of bad shots that almost had this team be stuck at 15 championships. It was a tough defense, he should have only taken the shots that were well-advised and stuck with 15 fga. In a tough defense like Boston's you have to facilitate.

In a series where the winner of the boards wins every game, it's absurd to dismiss his rebounding in game seven like you just did. It was more than "nice", he single handedly got more rebounds than KG, Wallace, and Ray Allen combined.

If you can't see the value in a shooting guard pulling down two more rebounds than the other teams starting C, PF, and SG combined, then you should re-prioritize what you find to be most important when watching a game. Effort, hustle, straight up out working every single player on the other team.

It wasn't a great shooting performance, but he still got to the line in the 4th when it mattered and scored 10 points in the finals period, when it mattered.

When Odom, Gasol and Bynum are all shooting well under 45% and not taking the iniative to shoot, then guess who has to? Thats how it works on this Laker team.

Iceman_9
07-03-2010, 10:40 PM

:facepalm:

CowboysKB24
07-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Both!

COBY KARL
07-04-2010, 12:31 AM
:facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm:

KBfrom8to24
07-04-2010, 01:04 AM
kobe is still keyword still in his prime but odv. the door is coming to a close
he's still at the top of his game but with injuries and age etc. he's not the same as he was when he was 26 or 27

Same Bro.

Lakeshow86
07-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I think kobe is a vet thats in his prime. Kobe has been in his prime ever since his 3rd or 4th season and hasnt looked back. People are saying that kobe had a bad year this year. Alot of that was nagging injury. In the beggining of the year Kobe was on pace to break his personal best season field goal percentage. he was shooting close to 50% from the field. Then he started getting hurt with his finger and knee and you could tell his shooting wasnt the same and his shooting percentage went down. Dont worry. Kobe is still good and in his prime

_KB24_
07-05-2010, 04:47 PM
He's still in his prime fellas. He can still score at will and his defense is just as good. He may not be as explosive as he use to be, but he is much more poised and patient with his attack. Black Mamba :cool:

(PS Kobe showed he can still DOMINATE the league like he did when Pau went out earlu in the season and Kobe was arguably having one his best seasons and most efficient)

numba1CHANGsta
07-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Kobe is still at the top of that ladder and is still in his prime IMO, until he cant hit 7 straight shots against a great defensive team in the NBA Finals, he is still the man to me. When people say theres a dropoff in his game its untrue because of the talent he is surrounded by

RidgeRaider24
07-05-2010, 05:29 PM
kobe is a vet, but dont get it twisted cuz he can still drop 40 or 50 on any night, and dominate a game in whatever way he has to, he is still the BEST player in the league no question

TheHoopsProphet
07-05-2010, 07:25 PM
In a series where the winner of the boards wins every game, it's absurd to dismiss his rebounding in game seven like you just did. It was more than "nice", he single handedly got more rebounds than KG, Wallace, and Ray Allen combined.

If you can't see the value in a shooting guard pulling down two more rebounds than the other teams starting C, PF, and SG combined, then you should re-prioritize what you find to be most important when watching a game. Effort, hustle, straight up out working every single player on the other team.

It wasn't a great shooting performance, but he still got to the line in the 4th when it mattered and scored 10 points in the finals period, when it mattered.

When Odom, Gasol and Bynum are all shooting well under 45% and not taking the iniative to shoot, then guess who has to? Thats how it works on this Laker team.

I didn't dismiss it at all, and I completely agree with you. I will admit I don't like kobe as a person, but I completely respect him (as anyone should) in the nba. 15 boards from him against that tough-minded team (albeit one without Perkins) shows just how much will he had. But I think when you drop the veil of our W, he played me-ball on the offense. He kept taking dumb shots that put our offense in stagnation, so they were bound to go in eventually. Say what you want about the other guys not stepping up (apparently you didnt see how that whole team came back to win in spite of kobe's game) but if you give Gasol 24 shots, I guarantee you he's making more then 6. If kobe keeps ignoring the low-post first option, his age and arrogance will be exemplified in the closing years of his career and our championship window. Gasol and Bynum must be option no.1 next year, but that won't happen.

_KB24_
07-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I didn't dismiss it at all, and I completely agree with you. I will admit I don't like kobe as a person, but I completely respect him (as anyone should) in the nba. 15 boards from him against that tough-minded team (albeit one without Perkins) shows just how much will he had. But I think when you drop the veil of our W, he played me-ball on the offense. He kept taking dumb shots that put our offense in stagnation, so they were bound to go in eventually. Say what you want about the other guys not stepping up (apparently you didnt see how that whole team came back to win in spite of kobe's game) but if you give Gasol 24 shots, I guarantee you he's making more then 6. If kobe keeps ignoring the low-post first option, his age and arrogance will be exemplified in the closing years of his career and our championship window. Gasol and Bynum must be option no.1 next year, but that won't happen.

Its impossible for a big man to get that many looks inside the post, especially for ***** like Gasol who can get manhandled by Tony Allen defensively. Gasol loves shooting the 15 footer on the block and KOBE HIMSELF tells Pau to get to his spot early before the defense has a chance to set up. Teams love playing a zone against us, 2-3 zone due to our **** shooting from the arc, and Gasol is denied the ball this way.