PDA

View Full Version : Wesley Matthews drawing interest from Lakers

x_notorious
07-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Restricted free agent Wesley Matthews is drawing interest from the Blazers, Spurs, Lakers, and Bucks. Matthews averaged 9.4 points as Utah's starting shooting guard last season, raising his scoring to 13.2 ppg in 10 playoff games. A solid defender with 3-point range, Matthews is expected to earn upward of $3 million per season

rotoworld

gr824
07-03-2010, 11:58 AM
If the Lakers cannot 'regain' their MLE somehow, then Matthews is not coming here ...

Raidaz4Life
07-03-2010, 11:59 AM
At this time we are really looking for a bargain more than anything because as it stands we still have a lot of holes in our roster going into the season.

kobeonekenobe
07-03-2010, 12:08 PM
He is an upgrade over Shannon, also if we lose Fish (please god no) we will need players like this. Also he is young so time for lots of improvement. He plays greats D and knocks down the 3, whats not to like

Avenged
07-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Coming into the offseason all we really needed was a PG and a big.

Now, there's so many holes to fill, to think we've actually lost depth especially if Fisher doesn't return.

Vinylman
07-03-2010, 12:23 PM
If the Lakers cannot 'regain' their MLE somehow, then Matthews is not coming here ...

he is an RFA anyway... not like Utah won't match...

talk about a guy who could be a big guard in the triangle... wouldn't it be interesting if he gets signed for less than blake

KillaInstinct24
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
he will stay under Sloan guys

gr824
07-03-2010, 12:36 PM
he is an RFA anyway... not like Utah won't match...

talk about a guy who could be a big guard in the triangle... wouldn't it be interesting if he gets signed for less than blake

Correct ... I realized that, which is why I said it would take a 'regained' MLE to even try to get him [ offering the $1.5 to $2 mil the Lakers have left of their exception after the Blake inking will not entice him or dissuade the Jazz from a match ... BUT offering him two years/$12 million or 3 years/$18 million might ] ...

I would rather see Miller or, even better, Morrow for that kind of investment. However, Matthews is a solid and 'complete' player ... Plus, he has a Laker championship 'pedigree' as well ...

Ah ... To dream ... :cool:

:D :D :D

lake100
07-03-2010, 12:39 PM
He's a restricted free agent. No way Utah is gonna let him go moreso to the lakers.:eyebrow::cool:

mpballer92
07-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Mathews needs to start. He's only heading into his sophmore season and with a lot of potential.

kobebabe
07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I thought y'all learned about jazz from millsap situation with the blazers. They were willing to match just abt any offer he got and they did. They will do the same with this young gun

EXTRAWON
07-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Correct ... I realized that, which is why I said it would take a 'regained' MLE to even try to get him [ offering the $1.5 to $2 mil the Lakers have left of their exception after the Blake inking will not entice him or dissuade the Jazz from a match ... BUT offering him two years/$12 million or 3 years/$18 million might ] ...

I would rather see Miller or, even better, Morrow for that kind of investment. However, Matthews is a solid and 'complete' player ... Plus, he has a Laker championship 'pedigree' as well ...

Ah ... To dream ... :cool:

:D :D :D

Man! Can't you just picture Morrow draining wide open 3 after wide open 3? I hope the Morrow's market slims down enough for him to fall within the Lakers price range!

Rocco007
07-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Wesley Mathews = Very Good value...

He played Kobe tough and hit big shots...

Dad was a Laker...

Could happen...

static_inferno
07-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Matthews or Morrow would be great additions to this team, but since both of them are restricted agents the chances of them coming here are zilch. Mitch can't outbid their current teams, and neither teams would accept a sign-and-trade considering they both belong in Western Conference teams and would not want to help the defending champs, especially Utah.

gr824
07-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Man! Can't you just picture Morrow draining wide open 3 after wide open 3? I hope the Morrow's market slims down enough for him to fall within the Lakers price range!

Unfortunately, Morrow is also a restricted FA ... If his price tag comes down, then it is almost certain that GS would match whatever bargain basement offer he gets ...

On the other hand, should he ultimately get a $6 million a year offer, that would make him the Warriors' fifth highest paid player, which might give them some pause with their checkbook. They would probably still match such an offer sheet, but Golden State is nothing if they are not unpredictable ...

EXTRAWON
07-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Bummer...I didn't know Morrow was restricted.

Lakersfan2483
07-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Matthews would be a great pickup but I highly doubt the Jazz won't match any offer LA throws out for his services......I heard the Grizz released Ronnie Brewer and he may be a viable option to look at. Brewer would be an excellent backup for Kobe.

New Power House
07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
None of these players will come. Bell or T Mac might unless some desperate team comes and grabs them from us. LR will be a better choice because he is the speedy type pG that we need to do what Farmar was suppose to do.

Bynum and Mbenga or another vet*
Gasol Odom Caracter
Artest Ebanks Puke T MAc* We played with Morrison there for the last two years.So T Mac will be a huge improvement.
Kobe Sasha Brown or Bell* Here we need a shooter and a defender. I would love Bell instead of Brown. Green can come for a really cheap price and dunk and play as well perhaps than Brown did. Lakers save money here.
Fish Blake and LR* I will try really hard to sign two of these or the 3. Then Bell or LR to help Fish and Bell to switch between PG and SG helping Sasha and Green.

* I do not know if we have the cash to bring at least two or three of these players.

truplayer199
07-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't think the Lakers will be able to dissuade any restricted player this offseason. They don't have any money, and i would love for them not to over pay for guys like Mattews, or even Morrow.

BigGuy951
07-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Interesting. We need a miracle.

The Raven
07-04-2010, 03:19 AM
I thought y'all learned about jazz from millsap situation with the blazers. They were willing to match just abt any offer he got and they did. They will do the same with this young gun

ya. thats why i really see no way he comes to the lakers since im sure the Jazz will match any offer we put on the table

lakerfan3118
07-04-2010, 04:58 PM
I like the fact that they're interested him, even if it's impossible. He's a talented player.

thepaul
07-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Interesting. We need a miracle.

Yeah, would be a great addiction. Plays good D, can play both PG and SG, I would be amazed if it happens!
But I think I will stay in Utah..unless we can put up a trade or somehow get him via free agency (don't know how).

numba1CHANGsta
07-05-2010, 04:44 PM
the Jazz are going to lose Boozer, why would they want to lose Matthews too? And even if we do somehow sign him, they will match so 0% chance of it happening