PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant Long Term Thunder: Could he take under the MAX?

dsickich123
07-03-2010, 11:37 AM
We have all heard that Kevin Durant wants to stay with he OKC Thunder long term. He is thouught to sign an extention before next weekend. He is obviously worth a max contract, we all know there. To be honest there are probably only a few players that are worth this max contract...but there is no doubt that Durant is one of them. He is a superstar and still rising. But much more than basketball he makes it a point that his team is very close and that team chemisty in at its top. He is a perfect leader and teammate. He also is a humanitarian and really in to community work...this link explains more.

http://newsok.com/article/3472285

Right now Durant is working on a number community service projects, including a basketball camp more kids. He has made it a point to be a great role model and teach these kids to not be greedy and play for the love of he game. He claimed. "I am still a kid myself."

Durant also has refused to talk to press about his demands of his contract. Calmly saying that he wants to stay in OKC. Money has never been mentioned..

We also all know that Durant loves his teammates, they are all young and rising stars, and they will also be up for more money, He wants o keep this team chemisty together.

http://oudaily.com/news/2010/jul/03/durant-keeping-contract-demands-himself/

Now, this has never happened before for a player that is of Durants Caliber. But, I beleive it would be a genuwine noble action if Durant was to leave some money on the table in order to sign other players on his team. And with Durants known humbleness and personality. I could really see him doing this, accepting less money than he is worth. Maybe a 5 year $60mil contract instead of his deserved 5 year $85 mil.

I know that this would influence other players on the team to do the same (Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green, James Harden, Serge Ibaka). And this young team could rise as champions together...

Thoughts?

Baller1
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM
If Durant were to actually do this then I would feel bad for myself, you guys, and everyone else on this earth because he would be the greatest, most influential person on this planet.

Yes, I have a crush on Durant.

But seriously, I don't see this happening only because when it all comes down to it... this game is a business. And business means money. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if a kid like Durant would be someone to do something like that.

Raidaz4Life
07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I <3 Kevin Durant

R_O_W_E
07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
If Durant were to actually do this then I would feel bad for myself, you guys, and everyone else on this earth because he would be the greatest, most influential person on this planet.

Yes, I have a crush on Durant.

But seriously, I don't see this happening only because when it all comes down to it... this game is a business. And business means money. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if a kid like Durant would be someone to do something like that.

:love:

I Love You KD.

hgtiger32
07-03-2010, 11:57 AM
imagine if KD takes less money which will only persuade westbrook, green,etc. to do the same...then that team would be set for a loooonnnngggg time. i'm rooting for the thunder for the next 10 years. period.

dsickich123
07-03-2010, 11:58 AM
You gotta love the kid. He is good for this game. A great face for the league. I think this is a real possibility...

dsickich123
07-03-2010, 11:59 AM
imagine if KD takes less money which will only persuade westbrook, green,etc. to do the same...then that team would be set for a loooonnnngggg time. i'm rooting for the thunder for the next 10 years. period.

EXACTLY, and this whole team is sooo close, that i could really see it happening. The chemistry of this team is something I have never seen before in the NBA. They do everything together, and call each other "family."

dodie53
07-03-2010, 12:25 PM
if KD does take a pay cut,
expect his teammates to do the same

NYK|NYY
07-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I think everyone has a crush on Durant. Such a good guy, with or without the max.

R_O_W_E
07-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Dont be a bandwagoner. This is why the NBA has problems now with fan support. Too many fans aren't loyal to their own team.

I think everyone has a crush on Durant. Such a good guy, with or without the max.
I dont have a crush on Durant.

EXACTLY, and this whole team is sooo close, that i could really see it happening. The chemistry of this team is something I have never seen before in the NBA. They do everything together, and call each other "family."

Do they have orgies together? :speechless:

97NYer
07-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I too have a crush on KD <3

gilly
07-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Durant is one of those truly great all-round guys. Great player, leader, true team player, great in the locker room. If Aldrich can develop, they sign a great PF and use Green as a 6th man they take over from LA as the best in the West. Durant can only get better.

tangent12
07-03-2010, 12:50 PM
A lot of love in this thread...

Well since you guys are being open, i have a crush on Hinrich. :o

Daye#5
07-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I love KD, he is really the man! Such a great guy and role model. I think the other NBA players should take a lot from him. The league would be such a better place. I could see KD taking less than max. Not an extreme amount but some always helps a team.

dsickich123
07-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Durant is one of those truly great all-round guys. Great player, leader, true team player, great in the locker room. If Aldrich can develop, they sign a great PF and use Green as a 6th man they take over from LA as the best in the West. Durant can only get better.

Say hello to Serge Ibaka...The Congo Prince.

Sixerlover
07-03-2010, 01:07 PM
If he takes a say 5 years 75 mil type deal instead of his max contract, I'd have even more respect for him than I do now. But I seriously doubt that would happen. Agents "need to eat too", and they are pushing the players to get the most $$ possible.

stripersniper77
07-03-2010, 01:12 PM
his max deal is not 5yrs 85 mil, players who have been in the leauge for less than 6 years have smaller max contracts. Currently rondo has a max deal for his years of service so KD could sing max that would average about 13 mil a year

dsickich123
07-03-2010, 01:18 PM
his max deal is not 5yrs 85 mil, players who have been in the leauge for less than 6 years have smaller max contracts. Currently rondo has a max deal for his years of service so KD could sing max that would average about 13 mil a year

it is 5 year 85 mil. The amount increases a bit every year. Check out this link...

Slimsim
07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
King Kevin LBJ just lost his title.

stripersniper77
07-03-2010, 01:33 PM
it is 5 year 85 mil. The amount increases a bit every year. Check out this link...

wow my bad i just checked out the rules for the max contracts and although rondo has a max he doesnt have the same kind because he didnt sign the 25% of the cap kind he signed the base 9 mill kind that doesnt increase by a percentage but by 1 mil a year. Durant could sign a rondo type deal and would still be getting "max". but yes that max deal is 25% of the cap with a 10.8% increase every year.

Kakaroach
07-03-2010, 01:33 PM
There is no legit source he'll actually take less right? This just seems like pure speculation from an OKC fan. It would be awesome and set a great example for the rest of his team, but I highly doubt he takes anything less than the max.

dsickich123
07-03-2010, 01:40 PM
There is no legit source he'll actually take less right? This just seems like pure speculation from an OKC fan. It would be awesome and set a great example for the rest of his team, but I highly doubt he takes anything less than the max.

Correct, there is no legit source...just putting the pieces together, and what KD has been saying. It seems like a possibility. I can honestly see it happening. We will see what the next couple days bring us...

dsickich123
07-03-2010, 01:45 PM
ALSO...if you can remember when Kevin Durant was drafted, he turned down a $82 mil offer from adidas in order to accept a $70 mil contract from Nike...

This $12 million dollar cut shows that Durant is not greedy...

Obviously he has enough money to accept a smaller contract and be just fine...

stripersniper77
07-03-2010, 01:55 PM
looking more into it i found out that a player can be offered more than the league wide max if the player was making more than that the year before. The absolute maximum is 105% of the players salary the year before. So lets say Ray Allen made exactly 20 mil last year if he signed his max deal he would start at 21 mil in his first year. And also if Lebron resigns with Cleavland he would make about 28 mil in his last year. That means if people still think he's worth a max at 33 he would make at least 29.4 mil in the first year of his new max deal and if its for 5 years at the end of that deal he would be making 42 mil a yr.

dstruong
07-03-2010, 03:30 PM
players association would not allow this.

NBAfan4life
07-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Dont be a bandwagoner. This is why the NBA has problems now with fan support. Too many fans aren't loyal to their own team.

The problem I have with this statement is that we constantly here the players and owners cram this is a business down our throats. Well if it is infact a business like they say if there not going to put out a good product I'm not going to be interested. Why should I support a team when there making millions. When they are having bad seasons the prices for tickets is still pretty high.

I'm from Mn but I have been a Laker fan since 96-97. The wolves have always been my secondary team I just have trouble rooting for them with the decisions they make. Even when it was LA vs Mn in the wcf I was rooting for the Lakers.

iHoop
07-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow much love for KD!
He will be an example for everyone in the league.
I hope others would follow his footsteps if he were to do something like this to help his team grow.

knickfan33
07-03-2010, 06:12 PM
OKC is a Big man away from running this leaugue. still hope durant becomes FA next year though if Knicks dont get lebron...lol

gbpackers12
07-03-2010, 06:20 PM
If I could pick one player in the league to steal from a team, it would be KD.

justinnum1
07-03-2010, 06:25 PM
You guys forget there is a new CBA coming out? He will get mAX

BradyIsTheMan12
07-03-2010, 06:29 PM
The Thunder bandwagon is so lame.

JNA17
07-03-2010, 06:39 PM

unfortunately yes, however, durant is one of my favorite players so much love to him :D

avrpatsfan
07-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Kevin Durant is my favorite player not on the Celtics. What a classy guy. That Thunder team is going to be scary in 3-4 years.

Lakers4ItAll
07-03-2010, 07:24 PM
you guys have lost your mind if any of you think any of those nigs are gna take less than the max if it's available

dsickich123
07-03-2010, 08:52 PM

whats not to love...

Basketash
07-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Wishful thinking...

unleashthebeast
07-03-2010, 11:46 PM
im in love with beasley :)