PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Joe Johnson not yet committed, likes Bulls and Knicks

JordansBulls
07-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Joe Johnson already has a six-year max offer from the Atlanta Hawks, but still hadn't committed to signing it Friday because he wants to see how things shake out with the other maximum-salary free agents, two NBA sources told ESPN.com Friday night.

Sources said Johnson was still considering whether it would be a better career move to play in New York or Chicago, and his ultimate decision would hinge upon which of the top free agents make commitments to those teams.

The Knicks were the first team to meet with Johnson when he became a free agent at 12:01 a.m. ET Thursday, making it known that he was among the players atop their wish list. The Bulls contacted Johnson as well, but did not meet with him.

When Atlanta quickly offered Johnson approximately $119 million over six years -- nearly $27 million more than any other team could offer -- it was believed the four-time All-Star was no longer available.

But sources said his continued hesitancy to commit to the deal was a sign that Johnson wanted to keep his options open.

One source said the chances of Johnson accepting Atlanta's offer were "slightly" better that 50-50.

If Johnson chose a team other than the Hawks, he could still sign a max contract if a sign-and-trade could be worked out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5350787

phlp_bj
07-03-2010, 09:36 AM
i don't see why a team would want to sign and trade for him when he doesn't deserve that max.

VPNeedAssistanc
07-03-2010, 09:41 AM
i don't see why a team would want to sign and trade for him when he doesn't deserve that max.

Because The Knicks are the Knicks?

phlp_bj
07-03-2010, 09:43 AM
either he's going to NY to play with his old coach in D'Antoni and former teammate in Amare. or he's taking the max and staying in atlanta

marlinsfan24
07-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Good, he should be more concerned with winning than the money

akagiredsuns
07-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Smart move by JJ to not sign with ATL. If he wants to win a title, he will never do it as a Hawk. If Amare signs with NY then JJ is headed there too. I'm starting to believe LeBron & Wade are headed to the Bulls now. Amare & JJ to the Knicks. Wow, the Bulls & Knicks rivalry will be reborn. :)

Raidaz4Life
07-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Smart move by JJ to not sign with ATL. If he wants to win a title, he will never do it as a Hawk. If Amare signs with NY then JJ is headed there too. I'm starting to believe LeBron & Wade are headed to the Bulls now. Amare & JJ to the Knicks. Wow, the Bulls & Knicks rivalry will be reborn. :)

except the Bulls will spank them every year like they used to

97NYer
07-03-2010, 09:51 AM
either he's going to NY to play with his old coach in D'Antoni and former teammate in Amare. or he's taking the max and staying in atlanta

Exactly...the Knicks would give him the max anyway and I'm fine with that. JJ and Amare can combine for 50 PPG in NY, along with Curry's contract and Chandler/Douglas/Walker as trade pieces. Curry/Chandler/Douglas for Parker would make it a 3 seed (LeBron/Boozer/Rose in Chicago and Wade/Bosh in Miami)

Parker/Duhon (Vet min)/Rautins*
JJ/Walker
Gallo/Landry Fields*
STAT/Kurt Thomas(Vet Min)
Earl Barron (Vet min)/Jerome Jordan*

magichatnumber9
07-03-2010, 10:10 AM
This is what I think.. JJ is in a dilemma. He really isn't sure if he wants the money more then winning.

phlp_bj
07-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Exactly...the Knicks would give him the max anyway and I'm fine with that. JJ and Amare can combine for 50 PPG in NY, along with Curry's contract and Chandler/Douglas/Walker as trade pieces. Curry/Chandler/Douglas for Parker would make it a 3 seed (LeBron/Boozer/Rose in Chicago and Wade/Bosh in Miami)

JJ/Walker
Gallo/Landry Fields*

i don't think that's better than the magic/celtics/bulls/(if they get the ppl you said)/bucks

The Raven
07-03-2010, 10:17 AM
It'd be in the best interest if Johnson didnt sign. If he truly wants to win a ring, he'll try and sign elsewhere because i cant see him winning a ring in Atlanta.

But then again even if he cared more for the money, i cant see why he would stay in atlanta. Try and go to the Knicks or something with Amare supposedly heading there.

If JJ does leave, The Hawks should be happy cos that'd be a horrible contract for them that would tie their hands for quite a few yrs. He aint winning a championship on his own thats for sure

R_O_W_E
07-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Knicks fans sound delusional in this thread. We're talking Steve Francis/AI type of delusional thinking.

ripjhb18
07-03-2010, 10:26 AM
lol honestly if it is just him and Amare on the Knicks, I don't see how they do much better than the Hawks do every year. So then he wins the same amount and takes way less money?

NYYCowboys
07-03-2010, 10:30 AM
If JJ signs with the Knicks along with Amar'e I think they got a good shot to be a top 4 seed in the east next year. But instead of trading Curry's contract and young players like Douglas and Wilson Chandler for Tony Parker (which I think is giving up WAY too much) they should try and sign Raymond Felton, who I think would see his numbers skyrocket in D'Antoni's system, and hold onto Curry's contract during the year, and if the right deal at the deadline comes along trade it and pick up more assets, and if not let his contract expire and sign FAs in 2011.

infernoscurse
07-03-2010, 10:47 AM
and then amare's knees fall off and joe johnson gets booed cause he cant deliver top star performance

R_O_W_E
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
and then amare's knees fall off and joe johnson gets booed cause he cant deliver top star performance

Did you just come back from 2012 too? Because I was just there, saw the new MSG with heated seats, and watched Knicks fans boo Amare & JJ for those exact reasons.

Knicks should seriously look into signing a few young players and take their chances in 2011 with the RFA's available.

Kakaroach
07-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Don't get your hopes up Knicks fans, first off JJ isn't worth a S&T max at all, so I see him staying with ATL.

sintaks12
07-03-2010, 10:53 AM
You guys got it all figured out huh. *sigh*

DaoudS
07-03-2010, 10:54 AM
JJ and Amar'e both require a good pass first PG....want calderon?

sintaks12
07-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I think Felton would thrive under Dantoni. He pushed the ball like crazy at UNC.

dtmagnet
07-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Good, he should be more concerned with winning than the money

B.S. you gotta get paid when you get that kind of opportunity.

KnicksR4Real
07-03-2010, 11:17 AM

That is exactly what I'm thinking:rolleyes:

JordansBulls
07-03-2010, 04:53 PM
JJ and Amar'e both require a good pass first PG....want calderon?

Still it would be good to see both of them in NY.

Evolution23
07-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Still it would be good to see both of them in NY.

I think Bulls will get JJ for a max.. he fits well since they need a shooter.

arosen36
07-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I think Bulls will get JJ for a max.. he fits well since they need a shooter.

knicks are getting amare for a max, thats it, have fun

blah-blah
07-03-2010, 08:11 PM
i hope he goes to the knicks with amare and the knicks somehow pulloff currys expiring for parker

Parker
Johnson
Chandler
Lee
Stoudemire

*Silver&Black*
07-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Do you all actually think JJ/Amare is better than JJ/Josh Smith/Horford/Jamal?:facepalm:

Heck Bibby/Jamal/Marvin/Josh/Al line-up could still beat them.

I find it funny you all bashed Atlanta for his contract, but Knicks fans think they can get a top seed in the East with the "overpaid loser"!

40oz
07-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Yea i dont think he could handle NY love.

Chives
07-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Do you all actually think JJ/Amare is better than JJ/Josh Smith/Horford/Jamal?:facepalm:

Heck Bibby/Jamal/Marvin/Josh/Al line-up could still beat them.

I find it funny you all bashed Atlanta for his contract, but Knicks fans think they can get a top seed in the East with the "overpaid loser"!

Well I hope you don't have those expectations for the Hawks. Even with Joe Johnson back, they won't sniff the Magic/Celtics or the team that gets Lebron/Bosh, Wade/Bosh, or Lebron/Wade/Bosh.

*Silver&Black*
07-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Well I hope you don't have those expectations for the Hawks. Even with Joe Johnson back, they won't sniff the Magic/Celtics or the team that gets Lebron/Bosh, Wade/Bosh, or Lebron/Wade/Bosh.

Um, reading my post, what expectations did it seem like I gave you, other than they could still beat that Knicks team?

Chives
07-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Um, reading my post, what expectations did it seem like I gave you, other than they could still beat that Knicks team?

My bad, looked like you said "Hawks can still get the top seed in the East". Sorry about that.

*Silver&Black*
07-03-2010, 08:52 PM
My bad, looked like you said "Hawks can still get the top seed in the East". Sorry about that.

It's cool. I made that first post asking why does people think if Knicks get a JJ/Amare duo they can be better than last year's Hawks. I didn't understand that.;) I was just saying a Bibby/Jamal/Marvin/Josh/Al line-up could still beat that JJ and Amare lead team. But I know those line-ups won't happen anyway (since it is rumored Teague is taking over for Bibby on PG and Marvin is being traded prob).

Big Quett
07-03-2010, 09:02 PM

You mean he will win rings wit Amare just like they did with better players in Phoenix?:rolleyes:

bkmikeyy
07-03-2010, 09:11 PM
JJ, Gallo, Amare would be the best trio the Knicks have had in a very long time. Add the fact they got some young players that could contribute and an 11 million dollar expiring contract and it would really not be that bleak in the Big Apple. Maybe not consistent championship contenders, but a team that would be exciting to watch and can sneak up on some teams to be a threat.

dabears2010
07-03-2010, 09:13 PM
If JJ signs with the Knicks along with Amar'e I think they got a good shot to be a top 4 seed in the east next year. But instead of trading Curry's contract and young players like Douglas and Wilson Chandler for Tony Parker (which I think is giving up WAY too much) they should try and sign Raymond Felton, who I think would see his numbers skyrocket in D'Antoni's system, and hold onto Curry's contract during the year, and if the right deal at the deadline comes along trade it and pick up more assets, and if not let his contract expire and sign FAs in 2011.

HA HA HA HA HA............What are you smoking dude? Even if the Knicks got Amar'e and JJ, they still aren't a good team. Who do they have right now? Oh yeah......Gallinardo. Who else? No one. Nobody will take Curry's contract. Why do you think the Bulls traded it to the stupid Knicks? The Knicks will DEFINATELY NOT be a 4 seed like you say. Let's take a look at some teams that'll be better than the Knicks in 2010-2011: The Bulls for sure, The Magic, The Celtics, The Hawks (Josh Smith is the one that should be getting paid), The Bucks, Maybe even the Cavs, Definately the Nets. The Knicks would be lucky to be an eighth seed next year pal.

bkmikeyy
07-03-2010, 09:16 PM
HA HA HA HA HA............What are you smoking dude? Even if the Knicks got Amar'e and JJ, they still aren't a good team. Who do they have right now? Oh yeah......Gallinardo. Who else? No one. Nobody will take Curry's contract. Why do you think the Bulls traded it to the stupid Knicks? The Knicks will DEFINATELY NOT be a 4 seed like you say. Let's take a look at some teams that'll be better than the Knicks in 2010-2011: The Bulls for sure, The Magic, The Celtics, The Hawks (Josh Smith is the one that should be getting paid), The Bucks, Maybe even the Cavs, Definately the Nets. The Knicks would be lucky to be an eighth seed next year pal.

Sound like a bitter Suns fan Gallo, JJ, Amare, Chandler, TD, Walker is a very good core.

beasted86
07-03-2010, 09:19 PM

JJ/Walker
Gallo/Landry Fields*

Please answer me this as honest and straight faced as possible.

Do you really think the Spurs would trade their starting PG Tony Parker who is already on an expiring contract for Eddy Curry and Chandler/Douglas/Walker?

:facepalm:

*Silver&Black*
07-03-2010, 09:20 PM
With or without JJ the Hawks WILL still be in the playoffs.

I see these teams as locks (without injuries)

Magic, Celtics, Bucks, Hawks, and Bulls (with or without Max guys).

Now the wildcards:

any of Heat/Nets/Knicks/Cavs (whoever gets the Max guys) and prob 76ers, Bobcats.

bkmikeyy
07-03-2010, 09:24 PM
With or without JJ the Hawks WILL still be in the playoffs.

I see these teams as locks (without injuries)

Magic, Celtics, Bucks, Hawks, and Bulls (with or without Max guys).

Now the wildcards:

any of Heat/Nets/Knicks/Cavs (whoever gets the Max guys) and prob 76ers, Bobcats.

Knicks will be better than the Hawks if Amare and JJ sign in NY, Celtics are on a serious decline, Bulls have not signed anyone yet if Lebron stays in Cleveland and bosh goes to Houston or Miami, Boozer will not necessarily make the Bulls better than the Knicks.

dodie53
07-03-2010, 09:28 PM
imo,
he's playing with amare and DA

JordansBulls
07-03-2010, 11:35 PM
JJ with Amare and Tmac is a good core

Missing56&33
07-03-2010, 11:38 PM

the fact that he hasn't signed that big contract makes me think he wants to try his luck in NY. Atlanta offered him a lot of money but he could make that back in endorsements if he wins in NY. I think he will go to NY. That would giv e Lebron two FA to team up with and some solid role players.

magichatnumber9
07-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Does this guy actually want to win?

cubbiesalldaway
07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
I would love a lineup of rose jj james boozer and noah in chitown

*Silver&Black*
07-04-2010, 12:40 AM
I would love a lineup of rose jj james boozer and noah in chitown

Yeah, I'm sure you do.....................and so does every other person on the entire planet wants a roster like that.

JordansBulls
07-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Does this guy actually want to win?

Why wouldn't he?

hugepatsfan
07-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Knicks should do Curry+Chandler for Okafor+Collison. If they get JJ too...

PG: Collison/TD
SG: JJ/Bill Walker
SF: Galo/Bill Walker
PF: Stat/?
C: Okafor/?

They would need some more depth in the frontcourt, but that lineup is certainly one that is a solid 3-5 seed in the East (higher if other teams don't get as good as expected).

jaded01
07-04-2010, 02:35 AM
i enjoyed the thought of him on the bulls for a while but i knew someone would overpay him. thought it would be the knicks.. turns out its atl. three years from now all you guys will be talking about how his contract is the worst one in the nba. he is the new allan houston.

JordansBulls
07-04-2010, 09:42 AM
i enjoyed the thought of him on the bulls for a while but i knew someone would overpay him. thought it would be the knicks.. turns out its atl. three years from now all you guys will be talking about how his contract is the worst one in the nba. he is the new allan houston.

Wouldn't give him more than 15 million a year.

KnicksorBust
07-04-2010, 11:37 AM
woj twitter has him updated and staying.

http://twitter.com/wojyahoonba

"knicks and bulls have long sinced moved on.

JordansBulls
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
woj twitter has him updated and staying.

http://twitter.com/wojyahoonba

"knicks and bulls have long sinced moved on.

I'm sure of it. Bulls have a great chance to get Lebron or Wade or Bosh or Boozer. And all of them are better than Joe Johnson.

Mr.ATLHawks
07-04-2010, 12:28 PM

And he will as a Knick? Oh thats right I forgot Patrick Ewing won 5 rings as a Knick. You can have the bastard quite frankly I hope he does turn it down. He gets mad b/c he plays like **** and the ATL fans boo his *** and he wants to go to NY? Please NY fans are 100x more passionate....JJ wouldnt not like NY quick b/c they would boo the hell out of him...Nuff Said <^> Joe Johnson and <^> Rick sund for offering that got damn much 20 mil a year for Joe "Lazy" Johnson..this better be a sign and trade ploy or imma be pissed..

LetsGoKnicks
07-04-2010, 12:30 PM
JJ sign with the knicks once we get amare and lebron. but if we get wade then i dont care about you anymore