PDA

View Full Version : Why does Derek Fisher get so much love?

VPNeedAssistanc
07-03-2010, 08:05 AM
He is an undersized shooting guard but can't shoot.
He has a career fg pct of 40%.
If he wasn't on the lakers, he would have 0 rings and no one would even know his name.
He believes he's worth 5m but his production has dropped dramatically for the past 3 seasons.
He should be grateful the Lakers are willing to start him, would your team start a 36 yr old Fisher?
My Question to you is, Is Derek Fisher overrated?

VIP1349
07-03-2010, 08:07 AM
He's one of the most respectful guys in the league, regardless he still started on all those championship teams, and he's hit countless clutch shots. Quite frankly he does what he needs to with the Lakers, they don't need somebody taking the ball out of Kobe's hands.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Looking at FG% for a 3pt shooting PG. :facepalm:

Covert
07-03-2010, 08:09 AM
He's a winner.

Raidaz4Life
07-03-2010, 08:14 AM
I do agree that Fish is overrated, as soon as the season starts people whine and complain about his horrid shot selection and decision making... ALL SEASON but then he lucks out and hits a couple big 3's in the playoffs because a squirrel has to find a nut eventually and BOOM all the laker's fans that were calling for his head during the regular season are demanding the FO pay him 5 mil a year. Its quite silly if you ask me.

That being said Fisher is a solid role player and a great veteran presence. But what he brings to the table are intangibles more so than on court production and I'm sorry but intangibles just aren't worth the price he is asking. I do like and respect Fish, he has come up big in the past but at the same time I would not cry or be the least bit disappointed if he went and signed somewhere else.

Duncan = Donkey
07-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Always has been ridicliously overrated by everybody, just becuase he plays on those stacked Lakers teams. When he was in GS and Utah, he was a bum.

Dont give me "oh he's a winner".......he didnt win in Utah or GS. He is just lucky to be on stacked teams with crap PG's.

RaiderLakersA's
07-03-2010, 08:22 AM
If he wasn't on the lakers, he would have 0 rings and no one would even know his name.
He believes he's worth 5m but his production has dropped dramatically for the past 3 seasons.
He should be grateful the Lakers are willing to start him, would your team start a 36 yr old Fisher?

Most people like Fisher simply because he's the "every man" on the team. He's not the superstar. He's not the guy that other teams try to stop. He's not even the guy that his own head coach initially wanted in the starting PG role.

But more importantly, he's not the person that the casual fan and/or non-Lakers fan see as making an impact on a game. And then he does. Usually at the biggest moments, on the brightest stage.

Don't bother asking PSD members why Fisher is valued so highly. Try asking the officials of the Jazz, the Warriors, the Heat and the Cavs why they esteem him so highly. Try asking two of the greatest players to ever play this game why Derek Fisher is their man; Shaq will tell you. So will Kobe.

Raidaz4Life
07-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Always has been ridicliously overrated by everybody, just becuase he plays on those stacked Lakers teams. When he was in GS and Utah, he was a bum.

Dont give me "oh he's a winner".......he didnt win in Utah or GS. He is just lucky to be on stacked teams with crap PG's.

exactly

philab
07-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I've never been much of a fan. He does step it up in the playoffs, so give him that. He's a relatively big-bodied PG that makes solid decisions typically. Not useless but not great either.

The reports of him speaking to Cleveland -- which are complete bull-****, I assume -- do not excite me at all. Maybe he'd spell Mo all right, but hell, that's like wrapping tinsel around a **** tree. I'd rather dump the whole lot.

dodie53
07-03-2010, 08:27 AM
he is a great role player

marlinsfan24
07-03-2010, 08:33 AM
He's a great role player and a very important key to each and every single Lakers championship. You have to look beyond stats for Fisher's worth.

VPNeedAssistanc
07-03-2010, 08:51 AM

Exactly, For a guy who lucked out and was on a good team for the majority of his career. What leverage does he have to get a multi year, 5m contract? Fisher's agent: My client is Kobe Bryant's best friend.... gimme money, but my client will also kill your team chances of getting 60 wins because he will go 2/10 for 80% of the 82 games he will play?

VPNeedAssistanc
07-03-2010, 08:53 AM
He's a great role player and a very important key to each and every single Lakers championship. You have to look beyond stats for Fisher's worth.

His intangibles can come as a coach...

DWT
07-03-2010, 09:22 AM
he's a winner.

+1

JordansBulls
07-03-2010, 09:24 AM
He is clutch and always makes the big shots.

torontosports10
07-03-2010, 09:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXzlRoNtHU

DanielC
07-03-2010, 09:25 AM
He is a good role player for the Lakers. I don't think they win the past 2 championships if he isn't on the team.

marlinsfan24
07-03-2010, 09:26 AM
His intangibles can come as a coach...

Do coaches dominate 4th qtrs or hit crucial shots in the Finals? I don't believe so.

VPNeedAssistanc
07-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Do coaches dominate 4th qtrs or hit crucial shots in the Finals? I don't believe so.

Are you serious? Kobe is called the closer for a reason.... Did you watch Game 1 2 4 5 6? He did nothing in the 4th..

kbaxter34
07-03-2010, 09:34 AM

+1

He will usually piss me off all game long with his shot selection, then in the 4th he hits big shots time after time. Just when im ready to throw him under the bus he always redeems himself. He is extremely clutch and is a great leader.

GOON MUSIC
07-03-2010, 09:46 AM
He's one of the most respectful guys in the league, regardless he still started on all those championship teams, and he's hit countless clutch shots. Quite frankly he does what he needs to with the Lakers, they don't need somebody taking the ball out of Kobe's hands.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ElMarroAfamado
07-03-2010, 09:46 AM
:facepalm:

OG "Dee" LOCc
07-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Alll the big shots hes made ALONE makes him get so much love
He plays without complaiining about his role, and is a smart team player.

Mell413
07-03-2010, 10:17 AM
He plays for the Lakers. He probably gets more attention than warranted. He's a nice role player and leader though. I do think people overrate his importance to the Lakers team.

bolts4ever
07-03-2010, 10:18 AM
because hes tough as nails and competes hard. Hes a champion.

and

Its funny as a Laker fan I noticed that whenever playoff games got tight and the Lakers were losing a close one or on the edge of being down by 15 or 20 Derek Fisher allways comes out of nowhere and hits 2 HUGE shots u desperately need and we'd win. Everytime!!!!!

and everyone cant do that, i mean ask Mo Williams!!!

The Raven
07-03-2010, 10:21 AM
He is one of the most respected players in the league. is ability to on countless times get the Lakers out of jams with his countless clutch shots is the reason he's such a fan favorite and the heart and soul of th Laker squad. He seems to be the Leader in that lockeroom along with Kobe and the players really seem to admire and respect a player like Derek Fisher.

Although i will agree he's not worth no 5 mil. Closer to 3 mil is my limit on how much the Lakers should pay him

Philly 4 Life
07-03-2010, 10:37 AM
did u watch the last 2 playoffs? hes a cluth player and a bigger leader

yojoe792
07-03-2010, 11:00 AM
He's SO important for the Lakers. For everyone else, not so much.

He's won countless games in the final minutes for us over the years.

MagicBucsSox
07-03-2010, 11:09 AM
overrated? when & where is he rated? the guy does HIS job. one of the most clutch players in history. countless big shot from 0.5secs vs the spurs to gw's on jameer nelson.
DID HE NOT CARRY THE LAKERS IN THE 4TH Q- GAME 6 IN BOSTON???? what 10pts in the 4th? like stop being caught up in big names. STAR PLAYERS WOULD BE ringless WITHOUT THE D-FISH'S

JasonJohnHorn
07-03-2010, 11:10 AM
He isnt even a shooting guard. He is a point guard.
As for why people like him, I know I like him because he is clutch, he hits lots of big shots, be them game winners or momentum shifters, he is mature, a great leader on the floor and in the locker room, and he knows how to keep big egos like Kobe's in check and keeps other player's head in the game. And he's a solid defender.

So he doesnt put up draw dropping stats that help pad somebody's fantasy team, so what. He plays smart basketball on the court and is a great leader.

dtmagnet
07-03-2010, 11:11 AM
A proven winner.

ragee
07-03-2010, 11:12 AM
He's classy guy who makes shots when you need it most!

VinceGully
07-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Not a Faker fan at all...but have to agree. Great post. :clap:

EXTRAWON
07-03-2010, 11:21 AM
He is a good role player for the Lakers. I don't think they win the past 2 championships if he isn't on the team.

Exactly! #2 may wind up in the rafters along with some other Laker legends. The .04 shot, the huge shots last year against Orlando to put them out of their misery, he singlehandedly took over in the 4thquarter to win us a finals game against the C's this year. Clutch personified. I recall the TNT cast talking about how his work ethic and "scrappiness" would make him a legend and fan favorite in Boston( the only other team in the league that k.nows about winning championships). And don't forget about the game winner he hit for Utah the day he showed up to the game late after dealing with his daughter's illness.

He does all of the dirty work like taking charges. All of the little things that get us extra posessions.

His locker room presence and professionalism are however his greatest atributes. This is the irriplaceable facet of D-Fish. He's the player that all of the guys look up to , the one that can get guys to run through a brick wall for the greater good of the team. He is a conduit between Kobe and the rest of the team.. He is the only player that can get in Kobe's face about shot selection etc. He is the only player that Kobe truly enough to defer to in crunch time. Without Fish, the Lakers' locker room would be disjointed.

Lions #81
07-03-2010, 11:23 AM
5 rings and started on both teams. Yeah he had Kobe. But didnt the Lakers lose to Detroit when he wasnt on the team?

Lions #81
07-03-2010, 11:25 AM
^ i meant he started on the LAkers all those rings

td0tsfinest
07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Derrick Fisher is 36? :speechless: damn, I didn't know he was that old. Dude should retire while still on top.

Gary Reasons
07-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Bc all he does is win win win win

Jays Claw
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM
He's a proven winner.

cowboyz180
07-03-2010, 11:57 AM
fisher is awesome!

Kakaroach
07-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Proven winner
Comes up big in clutch moments
Very good presence in the locker room
Loads of experience

Its really the intangibles of why Derek Fisher is so important.

Max Power
07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
A nice piece of a Phil Jackson offense. When he isn't on a Phil Jackson team, his "winner" qualities seem to go away.

ClayMatthews
07-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Because he is the best flopper in the game.

Human FlameShld
07-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I hate the Lakers but I like Derek Fisher....I'm glad the topic creator posted those stats so I can make this comment....stats can lie and they often paint an inaccurate image. Fisher is a winner as a player and human being. He is gritty and will do anything he is asked to win, he'll work hard, and make those around him better.

As someone else said earlier he is a great role player and every championship team in every sport ever has had guys like him. You need guys like him to win (of course you need the superstar as well, but you won't win without guys like him).

GspLAL
07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I do agree that Fish is overrated, as soon as the season starts people whine and complain about his horrid shot selection and decision making... ALL SEASON but then he lucks out and hits a couple big 3's in the playoffs because a squirrel has to find a nut eventually and BOOM all the laker's fans that were calling for his head during the regular season are demanding the FO pay him 5 mil a year. Its quite silly if you ask me.

That being said Fisher is a solid role player and a great veteran presence. But what he brings to the table are intangibles more so than on court production and I'm sorry but intangibles just aren't worth the price he is asking. I do like and respect Fish, he has come up big in the past but at the same time I would not cry or be the least bit disappointed if he went and signed somewhere else.

I wouldn't call it luck if he's done it his whole career.

Lakeshow86
07-03-2010, 12:20 PM
As a laker fan i hate to agree. Fisher hasnt done anything the past few years but make a few key shots in playoffs. I think he's asking for the same 5 million he makes now. I wouldnt give it to him. Someone needs to remind him that there's a 82 game regular season. Your not be paid just to knock down a few shots in the playoffs. His regular season was horrible this year. I would only offer him the Vets min(2 million) after that season. He had a better playoffs but i dont think this should get him an extra 3 million per year because he made a few key shots in the playoffs. The really dont need him now since they have Blake, who is going to be playing most of the minutes. Fisher will be playing 15 -20 minutes. They can get a much cheaper and better point guard than fisher to play limited mintes. It will make no sense to pay a guy 5 million for 15 - 20 minutes

mamba24
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM

um dude won in utah... helped take that team to the conference finals. i live in utah but grew up in la. some people here hate him for leaving but i never hear them complain about what he helped the jazz do a few years back. in golden state he didnt get as much time cuz they had baron davis. not his fault... maybe if they used his pass first mentality on that team it couldve helped them... instead they had baron chucking shots when he was covered by 3 guys... u clearly dont know what u r talking about... dude has ALWAYS hit big shots no matter what team he has been on.

Gene2420
07-03-2010, 12:33 PM
He's a great leader with plenty of heart. Great locker room guy as well.

nanablvd
07-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Exactly, For a guy who lucked out and was on a good team for the majority of his career. What leverage does he have to get a multi year, 5m contract? Fisher's agent: My client is Kobe Bryant's best friend.... gimme money, but my client will also kill your team chances of getting 60 wins because he will go 2/10 for 80% of the 82 games he will play?

Trust me, you may have substantial basketball knowledge in terms of the history or stats, but you actually do not know too much about how to watch a basketball game. If i have to answer your question, i'd say Fisher doesnt get enough love, because of a bunch of people like you and others.

Tony_Starks
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Derrick Fisher currently holds the highest 3 point fg % in the finals. He always comes through in the clutch. He's a winner and a 5 time champion.

I noticed this is your second disparaging Laker comment. First Mitch was a horrible GM now no love for D Fish.

Bitter much?

arthurlaker13
07-03-2010, 12:49 PM

^^^^
He isnt even overated, are you in that locker room? If whatever he says gets the team to win championships and kobe likes/wants him that bad, than pay the man, I mean he took a pay cut to come here and out of the time hes here we won 2 titles and made it to the finals 3 yrs in a row. thats saying something and were gonna repeat again, dnt beleive ask tracy mcgrady

Lakersho
07-03-2010, 01:11 PM

thats why utah still boo him for leaving them and coming to the lakers ,thier still butt sore...

Most people like Fisher simply because he's the "every man" on the team. He's not the superstar. He's not the guy that other teams try to stop. He's not even the guy that his own head coach initially wanted in the starting PG role.

But more importantly, he's not the person that the casual fan and/or non-Lakers fan see as making an impact on a game. And then he does. Usually at the biggest moments, on the brightest stage.
...yes ,correct...
Don't bother asking PSD members why Fisher is valued so highly. Try asking the officials of the Jazz, the Warriors, the Heat and the Cavs why they esteem him so highly. Try asking two of the greatest players to ever play this game why Derek Fisher is their man; Shaq will tell you. So will Kobe.
...and who are they? o ya champions....

...that and he is a guy even superstars will listen to , and in a dog fight type game he's fearless, ask the celtics about the 4th quarter on thier floor who won the game ? thats right fisher... your either born with it or not ,cant teach it ,cant buy it,either you have it or dont , fisher just has IT........

Hustlenomics
07-03-2010, 01:19 PM

^ This

omdigga
07-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Fish gets love from me cause hes tough, clutch, and a great leader.. every series the lakers played all you heard was how the other team had the advantage at pg.. Fish kept proving people wrong every series.. hard worker and professional.. dude gets my respect.. and i hate the lakers...

chitown 4 life
07-03-2010, 01:47 PM

thats what i was gonna say.. just like a paxson or a kerr and hes a really nice guy...

RadiantShot
07-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Honestly...If you want me to tell you the truth...There really can't be any laughter about this...Fisher is almost as clutch as Kobe if you look at it the right way...Of course Kobe's hit more game-winners, but how much of the time has Fisher bailed them out with a late game 3, or a 3 in the final seconds..? Tons.

magichatnumber9
07-03-2010, 02:06 PM
clutch shooter and a overachiever on the defensive end.

Kashmir13579
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
he's arguable the most clutch player in the nba (of all time). so he must be overrated (sarcasm). if you think this guy is overrated you have not watched him play in the playoffs/finals and you dont know what your talking about.:facepalm:

kobebabe
07-03-2010, 02:09 PM

And that is exactly why he is the best fit for LA and not any other team. We play triangle offense that do not require a pure PG but one that can hit an open shot when needed and keep the rotating triangle offense going. He wouldn't have won in Utah or GS since their offense is meant for a great PG like those two teams have at present. Likewise, LA wouldn't have won without him! Period!!!!!!

Kashmir13579
07-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Honestly...If you want me to tell you the truth...There really can't be any laughter about this...Fisher is almost as clutch as Kobe if you look at it the right way...Of course Kobe's hit more game-winners, but how much of the time has Fisher bailed them out with a late game 3, or a 3 in the final seconds..? Tons.

kobe may have hit more game winners in his career, but i would argue that fisher has made more "magical" game winners in his playoff/finals career. for instance, in game seven this year, when fisher hit that deep three to tie the game up, that was THE momentum swing. if derek didnt hit that shot then celtics win and nobody would be talking about kobe or derek fisher. imo fisher is more clutch than kobe. everybody seems to forget all the bad shots kobe fires up and the missed free throws.

IversonIsKrazy
07-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Horrible season performer, no doubt about it, but gets the job done when THe stakes are high.

kArSoN RyDaH
07-03-2010, 02:25 PM

hes won more than amare or nash. 5 to 0. nuff said.

RadiantShot
07-03-2010, 02:26 PM
kobe may have hit more game winners in his career, but i would argue that fisher has made more "magical" game winners in his playoff/finals career. for instance, in game seven this year, when fisher hit that deep three to tie the game up, that was THE momentum swing. if derek didnt hit that shot then celtics win and nobody would be talking about kobe or derek fisher. imo fisher is more clutch than kobe. everybody seems to forget all the bad shots kobe fires up and the missed free throws.

In short, I agree.

kArSoN RyDaH
07-03-2010, 02:30 PM
fisher is valued BY ONLY THE LAKERS!

he runs the point in the triangle offense better than anyone can run it.
he may suck on defense but he gives it 110% every play and youll be sure to know that opposing players feel his physical presence.
he isnt efficient but he makes CLUTCH shots.
he has a unique ability to speak to the team and calm them down in tight situations and yes including kobe at time.

fact of the matter is fishers value is higher with the lakers than any other team.

xbrackattackx
07-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm laughing at the guy "who knew the derek fisher and his sick son story and he didn't need to read the details" haha It was his daughter and he left without any money so he could get his daughter treatment guy looks like a tool.

schenn02
07-03-2010, 04:29 PM

What he said^^^^^^^^^

LTBaByyy
07-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Why is he getting so much hate?

JNA17
07-03-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdZHffwOF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To3bnB03bL8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGDMOh8YB2U&feature=related

NYtilIdie
07-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Fisher's impact goes way beyond stats. He is a great leader and is one of the best players in the clutch. I hate it when the im rooting against the Lakers and their down by 1 with the ball in Fish's hands. Every shot he takes in the clutch I feel its going in yes, he's that scary.

I would take Fish on my team anyday despite his poor stats as you like to point out, he's a great locker room presence and would make a great mentor to Toney Douglass.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-03-2010, 05:02 PM

He is extremely overrated...but still...did you just say he cant shoot?

AHAHA...thats about the only thing he can do.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
fisher is valued BY ONLY THE LAKERS!

he runs the point in the triangle offense better than anyone can run it.
he may suck on defense but he gives it 110% every play and youll be sure to know that opposing players feel his physical presence.
he isnt efficient but he makes CLUTCH shots.
he has a unique ability to speak to the team and calm them down in tight situations and yes including kobe at time.

fact of the matter is fishers value is higher with the lakers than any other team.

I agree with this

topdog
07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Fisher would be unwise to go elsewhere, but is a great fit for the Lakers. In the triangle, you don't need a PG who's going to be controlling the ball - you need someone who can spread the floor and help direct teammates. On defense, he's not the fastest (by a longshot) but he really can rub opposing players the wrong way and can use his weight against them - you saw how pissed he had Ray Ray. Then, of course, he can make the big shots and is one of the league's premier floppers.

RaiderLakersA's
07-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Duncan = Donkey
When he was in GS and Utah, he was a bum. Dont give me "oh he's a winner".......he didnt win in Utah or GS.

The obvious counterpoint to that is that not one of the PG's in Utah or GS has won anything. Not in Utah or GS, or as in the case of Baron Davis, not on any OTHER team, either.

Fisher's contributions may never be appreciated by every NBA fan. But I have the sneaking suspicion that if he had played for another championship team...say, for example, the Celtics, or the Spurs, or the Heat, or even going further back in history, to the Bulls, or the Rockets... many more of his detractors would be silent today.

I'd even go as far as to say that if Fisher were on the Cavs these last two seasons, they would have gone further in the playoffs. How many times did we see LeBron look like he needed that extra tough, clutch shooter on the floor to take pressure off of him? Or that co-captain to get in his face and marshall him to greatness? All of the greats had that guy. Don't kid yourself: LeBron needs that, too. (I can almost imagine the verbal exchange now. Fisher: "Elbow??? Man, (bleep) your (bleeping) elbow! Look, do you want to win a championship, or not?!? We ain't got time for this (bleep)! Penetrate and dish to me. I got your back!")

You can misread stats, but you can't debate the bottomline facts. The Lakers are champions because of what Fisher brings to the table, and not in spite of him.

Kevj77
07-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Are you serious? Kobe is called the closer for a reason.... Did you watch Game 1 2 4 5 6? He did nothing in the 4th..You have to understand though that the moments he came up big saved the Lakers from losing to the Celtics. His 4th quarter in game 3 and his 3 pointer in game 7 in the 4th that tied the game changed the momentum.

He is a role player that is probably more vauable to the Lakers then anyone else, but championship teams need players like that. Look at it this way Horry doesn't have mind blowing stats, but he was clutch too. Without Horry, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan and maybe even the Dream all have less rings. Role players are important on great teams.

_KB24_
07-03-2010, 05:11 PM
To be honest, his EGO at times is bigger than his on-court skills. He shows up for us when the game matters, but we all know how much he stinks it up in the regular season. I don't think he's a starter in this league anymore, but I wouldn'y mind re-signing him for the deal Buss offered, I thought it was right for him at this point. But if Fish is really going to negotiate over money, then I would not be too upset.

VPNeedAssistanc
07-03-2010, 05:12 PM
He is extremely overrated...but still...did you just say he cant shoot?

AHAHA...thats about the only thing he can do.

He's on a team with Kobe, Pau and Bynum and he's shooting 40%. For a guy who can't defend very well, an average passer. His only job is to shoot and he's not doing very well. He wants 5m to play 20-25min and make a few nice playoff shots. The series is won because of HCA, he did NOTHING in the regular season. He did NOTHING against the thunder. Why does Kobe have to guard the pg position just so he can bail his old man out?

fadeaway24SC
07-03-2010, 05:23 PM
He's on a team with Kobe, Pau and Bynum and he's shooting 40%. For a guy who can't defend very well, an average passer. His only job is to shoot and he's not doing very well. He wants 5m to play 20-25min and make a few nice playoff shots. The series is won because of HCA, he did NOTHING in the regular season. He did NOTHING against the thunder. Why does Kobe have to guard the pg position just so he can bail his old man out?

Because they didn't want Kobe chasing Ray Allen around so he can save his energy for offense.

VPNeedAssistanc
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Because they didn't want Kobe chasing Ray Allen around so he can save his energy for offense.

I meant westbrook....btw Kobe guarded Rondo because Fisher did a horrible job on him. :facepalm:

cav_till_i_die
07-03-2010, 05:29 PM
The man wins rings... look at James Posey's contract. If he didnt have a ring he wouldnt make half that.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 05:33 PM

haha, are you kidding? Utah went to the WCF when Derek was playing starters minutes in the back court with D-Will during the playoffs. Something they hadn't done since Stockton-Malone, something they havent done since he left.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Some fans are just clueless when it comes to intangibles like that. All they see in their tunnel vision is statistics (funny how they bash him considering he's shot over 40% from three in five separate post seasons throughout his career). They ignore big shot after big shot, taking charges, and the leadership he has, both with the Lakers and as the head of the players union.

Has the creater of this thread and every person whos agreed with him already forgotten about game three of the 2010 NBA finals, which he single handedly took over and won for the Lakers?

With all that being said, Im still glad the Lakers picked up Blake- but Fisher is a leader, he's a winner and those are just facts. Anyone who thinks other wise is a hater, period.

Hawkeye15
07-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Fisher is similar to Horry. Nothing special when you look at him individually. But he grew up in big games, and is the perfect role player on a contender. He does the little things to win. Takes the big charge, hits the big shot, gets a big steal.
Simply put, he is the perfect role player. Would he have developed into what he is on a bad team? Naw. But he found the right situations, got a little lucky, and worked his tail off to contribute to a winning organization where ever he goes. Guys like Fisher, you look at the team records when he plays, and they simply win. I am not saying he is the sole reason, but when wins follow a player, that means something in my book

RaiderLakersA's
07-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I meant westbrook....btw Kobe guarded Rondo because Fisher did a horrible job on him. :facepalm:

No one is arguing that Fisher doesn't have his negatives. That's why he's a role player and not the franchise. But that notwithstanding, his pros far outweigh his cons.

I am going to assume that you've spent quite a bit of time watching basketball games and not just looking at stats and drawing conclusions.

Basketball is a game of match-ups, and winning or losing hinges on how well one team effectively exploits their advantage. But no one team, in most instances, is going to have THE top player at every position. To offset advantages, teams have to involve other players. This is why it is a TEAM sport.

When you think about it, we pay Kobe to score and defend. His job, as our top player, is to help limit what the opposing team is most successful at doing by putting pressure on the point of attack. (Now that we have Artest, obviously, that job is much easier.) It is to our advantage that Kobe does this. (For the record, if you go back to even the the Shaq-Kobe era, you'll see Kobe taking on that assignment.) The Lakers have used this team defensive philosophy enough that it should come as no surprise to anyone.

Is Fisher older and on the decline? No question. Are there better PG's in the league. Sure. If payroll and contracts weren't an issue, could we have a Nash or Chris Paul or someone like that who could perform just as well, if not better, for the Lakers over the course of the regular season? Absolutely. But that's not the reality. The reality is that Fisher has been our guy and he's been the perfect role player for what the Lakers were trying to do -- to win championships.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 05:53 PM

Wrong. Bryant was on Rondo from the start. The Lakers wanted Fisher on Ray Allen so he could chase him around all those screens, hopefully pick up a few charges, and allow Kobe to play free-safety on Rondo.

Ariza's Better
07-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Some fans are just clueless when it comes to intangibles like that. All they see in their tunnel vision is statistics (funny how they bash him considering he's shot over 40% from three in five separate post seasons throughout his career). They ignore big shot after big shot, taking charges, and the leadership he has, both with the Lakers and as the head of the players union.

Has the creater of this thread and every person whos agreed with him already forgotten about game three of the 2010 NBA finals, which he single handedly took over and won for the Lakers?

With all that being said, Im still glad the Lakers picked up Blake- but Fisher is a leader, he's a winner and those are just facts. Anyone who thinks other wise is a hater, period.

:clap:
he is a great leader. he knows how to handle kobe. and since he returned to LA. in the three season's he has played, the lakers have played in three nba finals and won two of them.

foonaka
07-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I love Derek Fisher for the same reason I loved Robert Horry: his worth never shows in the stat sheets, but if you watch the way he plays, he lays it all out on the court and makes the plays that no one else on the floor can or is willing to make. Not to mention that he hits the big shot EVERY time it counts! There's no "luck" to it if you continue to do it year after year after year.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Is five million a year too much at this point, considering he won't play starters minutes?? Of corse. But 1 year at 2.5 million isn't fair either, this back and forth game is how it works!

I hope they settle on 2 years at 7 million, thats fair for both sides.

RISE ABOVE
07-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Players like him (he's the head of the player's association,) he's a team leader of the Lakers, has five rings, he works hard & is tough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Dge8B2O3s), despite being an average player he hits big shots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdZHffwOF8) at in big pressure situations. It hasn't just been on the Lakers, he came up big in Utah (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/10183583) too.

That being said he needs to lower his asking price with LA because he's not a starter anymore. I see him getting 20 min per game next year.

RaiderLakersA's
07-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Is five million a year too much at this point, considering he won't play starters minutes?? Of corse. But 1 year at 2.5 million isn't fair either, this back and forth game is how it works!

I hope they settle on 2 years at 7 million, thats fair for both sides.

His agent will argue that he should get at least what Blake is getting, since Blake will likely be coming off of the bench and has not won a single ring.

We'll have to see what happens, after the top 3 FA's pick their teams. There very well may be a market for someone with Fisher's credentials.

Mr.ATLHawks
07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Ok this has to be the dumbest thread I have seen in awhile. How do you put a price tag on "the big shot"? B/c Fisher has hit alot of them against the Spurs to turn that series around in SA forget the year. How about this year we can say if Fish doesnt tie the game with Boston that they go on to lose in Game 7. Time and Time again Fisher has been there when it counted. Another Game vs Boston he scored 13 Key 4 th Quarter points. Dont put much intot he statistics of it all Fisher is worth every penny and deserves to be paid more then *******Steve Blake...Take that to the bank and cash it...Derek Fisher > Mo "Big Game choke" Williams....The Cavs would do well to pay this guy...Mo Williams isnt a point guard and needs to be a 6th man so if he is not hitting he can sit his *** down somewhere

plpfctn
07-03-2010, 06:18 PM
You're not apart of the Laker Nation so you wouldn't understand. Fisher is NOT a five time champion by accident. i'll leave it at that.

Mr.ATLHawks
07-03-2010, 06:20 PM
No one is arguing that Fisher doesn't have his negatives. That's why he's a role player and not the franchise. But that notwithstanding, his pros far outweigh his cons.

I am going to assume that you've spent quite a bit of time watching basketball games and not just looking at stats and drawing conclusions.

Basketball is a game of match-ups, and winning or losing hinges on how well one team effectively exploits their advantage. But no one team, in most instances, is going to have THE top player at every position. To offset advantages, teams have to involve other players. This is why it is a TEAM sport.

When you think about it, we pay Kobe to score and defend. His job, as our top player, is to help limit what the opposing team is most successful at doing by putting pressure on the point of attack. (Now that we have Artest, obviously, that job is much easier.) It is to our advantage that Kobe does this. (For the record, if you go back to even the the Shaq-Kobe era, you'll see Kobe taking on that assignment.) The Lakers have used this team defensive philosophy enough that it should come as no surprise to anyone.

Is Fisher older and on the decline? No question. Are there better PG's in the league. Sure. If payroll and contracts weren't an issue, could we have a Nash or Chris Paul or someone like that who could perform just as well, if not better, for the Lakers over the course of the regular season? Absolutely. But that's not the reality. The reality is that Fisher has been our guy and he's been the perfect role player for what the Lakers were trying to do -- to win championships.

This x 100....Would you get rid of Steve Nash b/c his defense is probably the worst in BA History? Hell no, you tailor the game to help Nash defensively b/c the boy makes every one else better offensively aroud him...Channign Frye should be buying his *** dinner with that new contract he got, as should Quentin Richardson, Boris Diaw, Jason Richardson, Shawn marion all players whom have reeped the benefits with playing with Steve

Bruno
07-03-2010, 06:39 PM
His agent will argue that he should get at least what Blake is getting, since Blake will likely be coming off of the bench and has not won a single ring.

We'll have to see what happens, after the top 3 FA's pick their teams. There very well may be a market for someone with Fisher's credentials.

I bet you're right, that his agent will push for what Blakes getting. Hopefully Fisher won't gripe about getting 500K less.

championships
07-03-2010, 06:46 PM

A couple lucky shots??? dude really?? He does it time and time again when it counts the most.. Do not speak of what you do not know. Plus he is a huge leader in the huddle and locker room. Not to mention He is the only one Kobe will listen to on the court

Kashmir13579
07-03-2010, 06:51 PM
To be honest, his EGO at times is bigger than his on-court skills. He shows up for us when the game matters, but we all know how much he stinks it up in the regular season. I don't think he's a starter in this league anymore, but I wouldn'y mind re-signing him for the deal Buss offered, I thought it was right for him at this point. But if Fish is really going to negotiate over money, then I would not be too upset.

:facepalm:.......... we're talking about a team that has kobe bryant and ron artest and your complaining about fisher's ego?! i shouldnt have even responded to this

VPNeedAssistanc
07-03-2010, 06:55 PM
:facepalm:.......... we're talking about a team that has kobe bryant and ron artest and your complaining about fisher's ego?! i shouldnt have even responded to this

You must be some East coast guy, Ron Artest has been a class act. Are you mad at him because he punched you in the face back in Detroit? As for Kobe, He's been one of the best players for the past 10 years, you don't think he deserves to have an ego?
What right does Fisher have, he's lucky lakers never had a GOOD PG and he was a starter by default.

Kashmir13579
07-03-2010, 07:12 PM
You must be some East coast guy, Ron Artest has been a class act. Are you mad at him because he punched you in the face back in Detroit? As for Kobe, He's been one of the best players for the past 10 years, you don't think he deserves to have an ego?
What right does Fisher have, he's lucky lakers never had a GOOD PG and he was a starter by default.

first of all, how'd you tell i was from the east coast? secondly, you must be a genius. how well ron ron behaves has nothing to do with his ego. fishers not lucky in that regard, because even if the lakers had a PG statistically better, phil jackson would still put fisher in the 4th quarter, and fisher would still hit huge shots. and apparently, lakers fans would still call him overrated. lastly, just because kobe "deserves to have an ego" doesn't mean that fisher has an ego. me personally, i hate the lakers, sooo much. and even i know that fisher is a class act.:facepalm: great fans they got in L.A, IMO

BkOriginalOne
07-03-2010, 07:12 PM
He's a Winner and A big shot maker

Mell413
07-03-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't have anything bad to say about Fisher himself. I do have one question though. A lot of you guys cite his ability to make clutch shots. I'm not disagreeing with that premise. I guess my point is that you can argue that if he played better and made better decisions earlier in the game he wouldn't have to make shots later in the game. I guess I'm tired of hearing about the clutch shots. The other 47 minutes in the game count also and it seems people put too much emphasis on the last minute(s) of the game.

Kashmir13579
07-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't have anything bad to say about Fisher himself. I do have one question though. A lot of you guys cite his ability to make clutch shots. I'm not disagreeing with that premise. I guess my point is that you can argue that if he played better and made better decisions earlier in the game he wouldn't have to make shots later in the game. I guess I'm tired of hearing about the clutch shots. The other 47 minutes in the game count also and it seems people put too much emphasis on the last minute(s) of the game.

ummmm.... on a team with bryant, gasol, bynum, artest, and odom, do you really expect d-fish to get that many touches in the first 47 minutes. no. hes the player that bails the lakers out when their all-star roster becomes stagnant; and then gets criticized for it. you're absolutely right, maybe if kobe didnt throw up so many bricks in the first 47 minutes of game seven, fisher would'nt have had to bail him out.

bolts4ever
07-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Rings=DEREK FISHER +5

Derrick Rose
Deron Williams
Steve Nash
Cris Paul
Rajon Rondo +1
Jason Kidd
Rusell Westbrook
Chauncey Billups +1
Aaron Brooks
Baron Davis
Lebron James
Dwayne Wade
Chris Bosh
Amare Stoudamire
=+2 rings

He's really overrated and has no value to no other team really!!!!! Lol please!!!

blah-blah
07-03-2010, 07:42 PM
yeah theres no way hes worth 5m

Frezhnitz
07-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Hes actually underrated I think.

974life
07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
He is Super Clutch in the Playoffs and brings Order to the mess of egos.

fishedz
07-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Overrated?

When it comes to taking a charge, grabbing/fighting for a loose ball, D'ing up when it matters and hitting the game winning shot...HELL NO. Teams on the verge of winning it all need guys like that...and you can't put a price tag on clutch.

All those things aren't stats...they're intagibles that cannot be taken away from his performance. Sure if he wasn't on the Lakers he might not have 5 rings, but neither would they. He may not be worth 5 mill at his age, but I GAURENTEE any owner wouldn't think twice if they knew it meant a ring/game wiing shot in a game 7. 5 million is nothing compared ot the revenue generated by a championship. Fisher deserves the credit he gets and should be considered one of the best role players and clutch shooters of all time. You can't buy/teach clutch...but you can pay for it in a guy like Fisher or Horry.

P.S. LA would be stupid to let him walk.

RaiderLakersA's
07-03-2010, 08:47 PM
ummmm.... on a team with bryant, gasol, bynum, artest, and odom, do you really expect d-fish to get that many touches in the first 47 minutes. no. hes the player that bails the lakers out when their all-star roster becomes stagnant; and then gets criticized for it. you're absolutely right, maybe if kobe didnt throw up so many bricks in the first 47 minutes of game seven, fisher would'nt have had to bail him out.

:clap:

Duncan = Donkey
07-03-2010, 08:51 PM
haha, are you kidding? Utah went to the WCF when Derek was playing starters minutes in the back court with D-Will during the playoffs. Something they hadn't done since Stockton-Malone, something they havent done since he left.

So when Fisher makes the WFC in Utah, its considered winning.
But when Nash makes it he's just a loser who cant win a ring.

Im not saying you said that, but it seems to me the majority of PSD thinks if you dont win rings your considered a loser.

Bruno
07-03-2010, 08:54 PM
So when Fisher makes the WFC in Utah, its considered winning.
But when Nash makes it he's just a loser who cant win a ring.

Im not saying you said that, but it seems to me the majority of PSD thinks if you dont win rings your considered a loser.

IMO thats always been an unfair criticism of Nash. Nash is the sole reason why NYK just put a 100 million dollar offer on the table for Amare, and why countless other players have been given huge contracts. IMO The Suns should have won the title in 2007 if not for the unfortunate leaving the bench incident.

RaiderLakersA's
07-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Overrated?

When it comes to taking a charge, grabbing/fighting for a loose ball, D'ing up when it matters and hitting the game winning shot...HELL NO. Teams on the verge of winning it all need guys like that...and you can't put a price tag on clutch.

All those things aren't stats...they're intagibles that cannot be taken away from his performance. Sure if he wasn't on the Lakers he might not have 5 rings, but neither would they. He may not be worth 5 mill at his age, but I GAURENTEE any owner wouldn't think twice if they knew it meant a ring/game wiing shot in a game 7. 5 million is nothing compared ot the revenue generated by a championship. Fisher deserves the credit he gets and should be considered one of the best role players and clutch shooters of all time. You can't buy/teach clutch...but you can pay for it in a guy like Fisher or Horry.

P.S. LA would be stupid to let him walk.

I hope he comes back for one more year at least. But free agency is unpredictable. If he signs for more elsewhere, I'd understand.

Duncan = Donkey
07-03-2010, 08:57 PM

the thing is Kobe and Artest are all star talent players, people expect them to have some type of ego.

But Fisher?? really, How can he have an ego? He has nothing to be egotisitic about becasue he isn't any good.

Evolution23
07-03-2010, 09:00 PM

Why u hating? the guy gets it done when it counts and hes a class act. hes not overated or underated. hes a mediocre player that makes big shots when they count. Plus hes a leader.

albertc86
07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Consider this... There's no doubt that Fisher has been one of the most clutch players of the decade but he has also been one of the primary reasons why the Lakers get into desperate situations. More times than not, is it not the opposition's PG who is lighting the Lakers up in the playoffs?

Kashmir13579
07-03-2010, 09:11 PM
the thing is Kobe and Artest are all star talent players, people expect them to have some type of ego.

But Fisher?? really, How can he have an ego? He has nothing to be egotisitic about becasue he isn't any good.

with all due respect, i have nothing left to gain from debating this with you. you obviously don't watch basketball that much if you think fisher "isnt any good"

Bruno
07-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Consider this... There's no doubt that Fisher has been one of the most clutch players of the decade but he has also been one of the primary reasons why the Lakers get into desperate situations. More times than not, is it not the opposition's PG who is lighting the Lakers up in the playoffs?

He did have to play against 3 of the top 5 (D-Will, Nash, Rondo) point guards in this post season. Anyone who isn't themselves a top 5 PG would have struggled. Even thou he didn't technically play against Rondo for the majority of the series.

But this is the fairest criticism you can make towards Fisher.

Duncan = Donkey
07-03-2010, 09:13 PM
You think Fisher is a good player?llol. He's just decent.

IDB Josh M
07-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Sometimes its not individual performance and capabilities, but how well a players plays within a team, or in a given system. Fisher is that type of player that really can't play anywhere else except the lakers. He's the type to hit that clutch shot when you need it, but won't hit it when you just want to extend the lead.

Also, he's needed to keep Kobe in check. Kobe ain't gonna listen to anyone else except Derek fisher.

albertc86
07-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Sometimes its not individual performance and capabilities, but how well a players plays within a team, or in a given system. Fisher is that type of player that really can't play anywhere else except the lakers. He's the type to hit that clutch shot when you need it, but won't hit it when you just want to extend the lead.

Also, he's needed to keep Kobe in check. Kobe ain't gonna listen to anyone else except Derek fisher.

Phil Jackson? I'm going out on a limb but I think he may have some respect for that Spaniard.

_KB24_
07-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Read my post moron. His ego at times surpasses his individual skill. I'll be the first to admit that in the dying seconds of a game, I have total trust in him taking the shot and being on the floor. But like the current scenario and back when he left us in 04, his head reaches his *** a little too much for a guy who is somewhat of a liability on the floor 90% of the season. Keep in mind I said "on the court" so you kids don't freak out.

kblo247
07-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Read my post moron. His ego at times surpasses his individual skill. I'll be the first to admit that in the dying seconds of a game, I have total trust in him taking the shot and being on the floor. But like the current scenario and back when he left us in 04, his head reaches his *** a little too much for a guy who is somewhat of a liability on the floor 90% of the season. Keep in mind I said "on the court" so you kids don't freak out.

You mean after waiting in free agency and being told by Rudy T he wasn't needed? You do know that he took more money from GS only after that and Kobe begged him to renege on the offer only for LA to say they couldn't match it?

Before Pau came back, before Ariza came, and when there were still questions about Bynum's growth, LA signed Fisher to pacify Kobe. He did just that and he sat a tone with his play from the first game of 07-08 on. LA lost that game to Houston, but they made a rally with like 2 minutes left because he wouldn't quit and pressured Alston 94 feet causing turnovers and when it was in reach Kobe pushed the ball up the court and didn't look for his or anyone on the team, instead giving it to Derek to tie it. Luke would later leave Battier open and cost them the game, but that right there is what Fish brings in a nutshell ~ warrior mentality, balls of steel, and and ego/arrogance that says I don't care who I'm facing they aren't better than me from Kobe on down, and that is why he wins. Flip it to the next game of that year versus PHX when he went into Nash's house and basically told the world I'm not Smush, and went to work on Nash on both ends. LA never looked back or feared the Suns from that day on, and Bynum, Farmar, and Vujacic admit that he was the reason why.

No matter how you slice what he isn't, lets look at what he is and has done as a Laker:

1998 - He took Van Exel's place and he got roasted by Stockton, and went down hard/embarrassed like Kobe but they kept fighting unlike Eddie Jones and Van Exel the year before.

2000 - He was Harper's backup that would come in, hit big shots, defend PGs that were too fast, and never compalin if he played 10 or 30 minutes.

2001 - He got hurt early that year along with Kobe, but both came back right before the playoffs and they took those starting backcourt spots together and did what no one else has done. They helped there team go 15-1. Fisher in fact killed the Spurs from 3 whenever they dared to try and double Kobe or Shaq. He even set a record for 3pt% in a series.

2002 - He went through the Blazers, Nets, Spurs, and Kings and was the third leading scorer on that 3 peat team.

2003 - Horry plays like ****, Fox goes down, George gets hurt, but he once again was the third guy on that team consistently all playoffs and all year long.

2004. Payton came in and took his spot, but when the playoffs came it was Derek that out played him on both ends and was closing games while defending Parker, Francis, Cassell, and he even did a better job on Billups.

2008 - Went through AI, Deron, and Parker on the way to the Finals with a torn tendon in his foot. Rondo gave it to him, but Allen also gave it to Kobe in those Finals before they made the switch too late because both are better suited to face the other.

2009 - Went through Deron. Got abused by Brooks but also put Scola and everyone on that team on notice for being cheap and pulling Lamar out the air that LA wasn't soft. Checked JR Smith versus Denver and effectively took on Rafer/JAmeer by himself at PG.

2010 - He couldn't handle Westbrook. He guarded and attacked Deron better than Billups did and won that game 3 along with Kobe late. Versus Phoenix he got after Nash better than the Spurs did without Bowen, and when LA was on the ropes in game 5 and when they had to close the Suns out in game 6 he was right there being right behind Kobe. Did I mention that he averages 14 points on the road throughout the 3 rounds of western playoffs and was the only one on the team to up his average on the road besides Kobe? Then he only went on to win game 3 of the Finals, hit the momentum changer in game 7, and shut Ray Allen down for the series as a whole.

He isn't an all star talent, he isn't a superstar, and he isn't even a prototypical PG but he wins. He simply comes to work, plays hard every not whether the results or there or not (makes him better than Horry), and leads by example.

You don't win 5 rings with 4 of them being the starting PG on the team, play in 7 finals while starting on 5 trips, have the best 3pt shooting percentage of anyone to ever play in the Finals, have made the third most Finals 3s of all time, get captain stripes before Kobe and Shaq as a backup, be the Players Association President, and be able to tell Kobe where to back off or how to play by simply being lucky. You earn every single bit of that, and with that you earn the right to have an ego and swagger about yourself.

To the OP: He just fits in, does his job, has the ear and respect of every player on his team, and he goes out there and rewards that respect by giving 100% effort, making clutch shots/stops, and never running from the moment. In fact that is why late in games on a team with Pau, Odom, and Artest his number is called as the second option behind Kobe on a nightly basis. He will never wow you with his numbers, speed, athleticism, or flash, but he will help you win and you have faith that he will come through when he is on your team.

RaiderLakersA's
07-03-2010, 10:50 PM
You mean after waiting in free agency and being told by Rudy T he wasn't needed? You do know that he took more money from GS only after that and Kobe begged him to renege on the offer only for LA to say they couldn't match it?

Before Pau came back, before Ariza came, and when there were still questions about Bynum's growth, LA signed Fisher to pacify Kobe. He did just that and he sat a tone with his play from the first game of 07-08 on. LA lost that game to Houston, but they made a rally with like 2 minutes left because he wouldn't quit and pressured Alston 94 feet causing turnovers and when it was in reach Kobe pushed the ball up the court and didn't look for his or anyone on the team, instead giving it to Derek to tie it. Luke would later leave Battier open and cost them the game, but that right there is what Fish brings in a nutshell ~ warrior mentality, balls of steel, and and ego/arrogance that says I don't care who I'm facing they aren't better than me from Kobe on down, and that is why he wins. Flip it to the next game of that year versus PHX when he went into Nash's house and basically told the world I'm not Smush, and went to work on Nash on both ends. LA never looked back or feared the Suns from that day on, and Bynum, Farmar, and Vujacic admit that he was the reason why.

No matter how you slice what he isn't, lets look at what he is and has done as a Laker:

1998 - He took Van Exel's place and he got roasted by Stockton, and went down hard/embarrassed like Kobe but they kept fighting unlike Eddie Jones and Van Exel the year before.

2000 - He was Harper's backup that would come in, hit big shots, defend PGs that were too fast, and never compalin if he played 10 or 30 minutes.

2001 - He got hurt early that year along with Kobe, but both came back right before the playoffs and they took those starting backcourt spots together and did what no one else has done. They helped there team go 15-1. Fisher in fact killed the Spurs from 3 whenever they dared to try and double Kobe or Shaq. He even set a record for 3pt% in a series.

2002 - He went through the Blazers, Nets, Spurs, and Kings and was the third leading scorer on that 3 peat team.

2003 - Horry plays like ****, Fox goes down, George gets hurt, but he once again was the third guy on that team consistently all playoffs and all year long.

2004. Payton came in and took his spot, but when the playoffs came it was Derek that out played him on both ends and was closing games while defending Parker, Francis, Cassell, and he even did a better job on Billups.

2008 - Went through AI, Deron, and Parker on the way to the Finals with a torn tendon in his foot. Rondo gave it to him, but Allen also gave it to Kobe in those Finals before they made the switch too late because both are better suited to face the other.

2009 - Went through Deron. Got abused by Brooks but also put Scola and everyone on that team on notice for being cheap and pulling Lamar out the air that LA wasn't soft. Checked JR Smith versus Denver and effectively took on Rafer/JAmeer by himself at PG.

2010 - He couldn't handle Westbrook. He guarded and attacked Deron better than Billups did and won that game 3 along with Kobe late. Versus Phoenix he got after Nash better than the Spurs did without Bowen, and when LA was on the ropes in game 5 and when they had to close the Suns out in game 6 he was right there being right behind Kobe. Did I mention that he averages 14 points on the road throughout the 3 rounds of western playoffs and was the only one on the team to up his average on the road besides Kobe? Then he only went on to win game 3 of the Finals, hit the momentum changer in game 7, and shut Ray Allen down for the series as a whole.

He isn't an all star talent, he isn't a superstar, and he isn't even a prototypical PG but he wins. He simply comes to work, plays hard every not whether the results or there or not (makes him better than Horry), and leads by example.

You don't win 5 rings with 4 of them being the starting PG on the team, play in 7 finals while starting on 5 trips, have the best 3pt shooting percentage of anyone to ever play in the Finals, have made the third most Finals 3s of all time, get captain stripes before Kobe and Shaq as a backup, be the Players Association President, and be able to tell Kobe where to back off or how to play by simply being lucky. You earn every single bit of that, and with that you earn the right to have an ego and swagger about yourself.

To the OP: He just fits in, does his job, has the ear and respect of every player on his team, and he goes out there and rewards that respect by giving 100% effort, making clutch shots/stops, and never running from the moment. In fact that is why late in games on a team with Pau, Odom, and Artest his number is called as the second option behind Kobe on a nightly basis. He will never wow you with his numbers, speed, athleticism, or flash, but he will help you win and you have faith that he will come through when he is on your team.

One of the best posts that I've read on PSD ever. Job well done. :clap:

KBfrom8to24
07-04-2010, 12:37 AM

No, because he is a teamm8 that compliments the stars of the team well. He is all for winning and he has big heart. Have you watched DFish clutchness like 0.4 seconds, 2009 and 2010 Finals?

_KB24_
07-04-2010, 01:52 AM

From what I could remember, wasn't Fish the one who was upset for losing his starting job? I forgot what he said but I remember him talking to a camera in a Warriors jersey in a pres-season game acting real bitter.

Pretty sure his move to GSW was based on him not starting due to GP, but you can be right.

Jenceman
07-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Because he is a bo$$

Vidball
07-04-2010, 02:00 AM

:clap::clap::clap:

kblo247
07-04-2010, 02:01 AM
From what I could remember, wasn't Fish the one who was upset for losing his starting job? I forgot what he said but I remember him talking to a camera in a Warriors jersey in a pres-season game acting real bitter.

Pretty sure his move to GSW was based on him not starting due to GP, but you can be right.

You are correct that said he wasn't thrilled about it and disliked it, but at the same time it was after Rudy T told him he had no future at all for his Lakers team and Payton did.

It is kind of funny that we later traded Payton that summer because Rudy didn't think he had a future for his team either for Banks (who we never got) and Atkins, but I think being told **** off by the new coach was the tipping point for him.

It also sucks to this day that we basically let him go for years if we could have gotten him at a reasonable price and kept him as the starter since Rudy didn't last a whole year.

In fact in that short stint Rudy basically benched Luke, Rush, and Slava fresh off being on a finals team and cut out all Phil's old guys besides Kobe for the likes of Tierre Brown, Chucky Atkins, and Jumaine Jones which makes me despise him a little bit more.

Raph12
07-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Doesn't deserve anything more than half the MLE, he's overrated, still cutch as hell, but too old for that type of money in this economy.