PDA

View Full Version : Source Inside Knicks Camp Says LBJ doubtful to sign w/NYK

machphantom
07-03-2010, 04:58 AM
"Although James is not expected to make a decision on his future until Monday at the earliest, a Knicks source described the team's chances of signing the NBA's biggest free agent as "doubtful, very doubtful." In fact, several league executives believe that the Knicks' apparent failure to lure James to New York led to their decision to offer Stoudemire a five-year, $96 million contract after the five-time All-Star turned down a similar deal from Phoenix that was not fully guaranteed. "(It) wreaks of desperation," said one league executive. "They know they have to do something."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/07/02/2010-07-02_new_york_knicks_close_to_signing_amare_stoudemi re_to_fiveyear_max_contract.html?page=0

I'm a Knicks fan, but I put weight into this report as Isola is local Daily News.

Oh well...

Draco
07-03-2010, 05:07 AM
"(It) wreaks of desperation," said one league executive. "They know they have to do something."

No kidding.

machphantom
07-03-2010, 05:21 AM
No kidding.

Yes signing one of the premier PF's in the league is a horrible move that will come back to haunt us for years. :rolleyes:
I know you must love kicking a dog when it's down, but the Amar'e signing was a great move that immediately restores the Knicks reputation.

nycclipse110
07-03-2010, 05:24 AM
....no it doesnt.

Draco
07-03-2010, 05:27 AM
Yes signing one of the premier PF's in the league is a horrible move that will come back to haunt us for years. :rolleyes:
I know you must love kicking a dog when it's down, but the Amar'e signing was a great move that immediately restores the Knicks reputation.

You must mean the league executive loves kicking a dog when it's down. I'm just in agreement. I don't think any other team outside the Suns and Knicks would have offered Amare a max contract.

machphantom
07-03-2010, 05:33 AM
You must mean the league executive loves kicking a dog when it's down. I'm just in agreement. I don't think any other team outside the Suns and Knicks would have offered Amare a max contract.

Well I respectfully disagree with you and the league executive considering some of the other type of contracts that have been thrown around in recent days. I think it was a great decision to lock up an elite player, and now we have a whole offseason to build around him.

Draco
07-03-2010, 06:00 AM
Well I respectfully disagree with you and the league executive considering some of the other type of contracts that have been thrown around in recent days. I think it was a great decision to lock up an elite player, and now we have a whole offseason to build around him.

It's one thing to disagree in thinking that he's worth the max and another to think that any team outside the Knicks and Suns would offer Amare the max. AFAIK, no other max offers have been reported so far.

machphantom
07-03-2010, 06:05 AM
It's one thing to disagree in thinking that he's worth the max and another to think that any team outside the Knicks and Suns would offer Amare the max. AFAIK, no other max offers have been reported so far.

You would be correct in that assumption, what i'm saying is that once the big players came off the board, I don't see how Amar'e would have not been offered a max quickly afterwards. I think that Miami, for example, would have been hard pressed not to offer him the max, considering all the insanity now surrounding Wade.

sintaks12
07-03-2010, 06:42 AM

I love it. This just in: Knicks panic and make rash move to sign Amare to max. LOL, what a joke. Here's my news flash: all teams are overpaying. Why does everyone ALWAYS point to NY? Is this signing Darko to a 20M contract? No. Is it maxing out Rudy Gay? No. Amare has had previous health issues, we get it. He's still a top 5 PF in the game and a force on the court. No one's going to convince me that it was a bad move. And it's only the beginning.

Man, people really love to hate NY. Annoying.

/rant

97NYer
07-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Just saw on Hoopshype.com that Tony Parker wants to play in NY and always wanted to play with Stoudemire.

S&T Lee for Parker or Curry/Chandler for Parker

Rosh
07-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Replacing Lee with a Nash-less Stoudemire doesn't put the Knicks that much forward. They're going to put up roughly the same numbers, IMO.

Pinrod33
07-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I love it. This just in: Knicks panic and make rash move to sign Amare to max. LOL, what a joke. Here's my news flash: all teams are overpaying. Why does everyone ALWAYS point to NY? Is this signing Darko to a 20M contract? No. Is it maxing out Rudy Gay? No. Amare has had previous health issues, we get it. He's still a top 5 PF in the game and a force on the court. No one's going to convince me that it was a bad move. And it's only the beginning.

/rant

Who is "people"? The guy who wrote this article is a NY writer and it looks like the poster that agreed with him here is a knick fan??

On that note, I think they did overpay him, but I'm sure the front office was worried of not getting anyone in, and they made an aggressive move to ensure they did land one of the top FA's. I think it was a good move and as long as he stays healthy and you guys get more around him, because he's not a centerpiece.

dodie53
07-03-2010, 08:25 AM
goodluck to the knicks for signing amare.

i really hope amare doesn't become lazy and oft-injured.

Slimsim
07-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Yes and if the Knicks didn't get anyone you would say the Knicks strike out and talk about our lack of aggression in the FA. Chicago fans there's a good chance LBJ stay in Cleveland for 3 years and then go to the Brooklyn Nets. Now everyone is Comparing Stat padding Lee to amare How many free agents talk about playing with lee in NY ? Beside amare played with Mike D he knows what he want from him and all the knicks have to do is look for a big to play along side Amare that is a willing Defender.

philab
07-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Just saw on Hoopshype.com that Tony Parker wants to play in NY and always wanted to play with Stoudemire.

Please. You think THE SPURS are going to go for Curry and Chandler? Remember this is THE SPURS, one of the best run teams of the past few decades and a team that looks for bargains on character guys. Why on Earth would SA take Curry and Chandler for Tony Parker?

Slimsim
07-03-2010, 08:30 AM
goodluck to the knicks for signing amare.

i really hope amare doesn't become lazy and oft-injured.

Liar If Amare sign with PhX for the max would anyone be talking about his injury as much as they are now Since theres a chance he sign with the Knicks ?

Raidaz4Life
07-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Please. You think THE SPURS are going to go for Curry and Chandler? Remember this is THE SPURS, one of the best run teams of the past few decades and a team that looks for bargains on character guys. Why on Earth would SA take Curry and Chandler for Tony Parker?

because they prefer George Hill anyways. I actually think that would be a solid move for them. They replace the hole left by Jefferson with a good young small forward and get a 10 mil expiring. I actually think that would be a brilliant move by SA. They get to start rebuilding without going into complete rebuild mode.

philab
07-03-2010, 08:38 AM
because they prefer George Hill anyways. I actually think that would be a solid move for them. They replace the hole left by Jefferson with a good young small forward and get a 10 mil expiring. I actually think that would be a brilliant move by SA. They get to start rebuilding without going into complete rebuild mode.

There are much better deals out there for Parker, first off.

Second, why would they run Curry through Duncan's curtain call? The Spurs aren't going to rebuild yet. The least they'll do is take another stab, a la the RJ trade, at catching lightning in a bottle again. I don't see Curry fitting in with that.

And hell, if you're a Knicks fan, is this what you want with Curry? I'd be pissed. What happened to all the cap space opening up for next year? What happened to fleecing a cap-strung team at the deadline? I like Parker and all, but this is a terrible deal for both sides.

The Raven
07-03-2010, 10:25 AM
After hearing about what a pitiful presentation they brought to show Lebron, i wouldnt doubt he wouldnt wanna sign there when there's better places out there to make money and win. Im sure he wont make as much money overall if he were to sign with someone else due to the fact that well its NY but, you have to at least have a balance of competitiveness and money i think if you really wanna woo Lebron

ripjhb18
07-03-2010, 10:30 AM

/rant
Actually most people just hate their constant failure to run an even moderately successful NBA franchise, yet the media still wastes time on them.

Melo15
07-03-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't think giving Amare a max deal is really that bad of an idea. It gives them an upper hand in trying to lure other free agents to New York to come play with a star power forward. Listen this is New York were talking about, they need some star power. Money is never that big of an issue in New York and some of the contracts out there show that everyone is going to get overpaid this summer. Amare is a great talent, and does he have risks? Yes, but he also has rewards that he can give you too. When he is playing at his best there are few big men better than him.

sintaks12
07-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Actually most people just hate their constant failure to run an even moderately successful NBA franchise, yet the media still wastes time on them.

You don't think Knick fans agree that our OLD management was hopeless? Horrible. Sources: NYK have new management. Respected by GMs, coaches and players around the league. And as far as media wasting time on us, it's a constant smear campaign. The only news we get is negative. Why is our Lebron plan leaked out but everyone else's is hush-hush? Someone busted on Donnie Walsh because he was in a wheel chair? Give me a break man. We get a top 5 PF and all of a sudden we're desperate and he's overrated? He was a top scoring player on a WCF team and is a 5 time all star. Get the ******* out with that *******. So... again... people love to hate Knicks.

ripjhb18
07-03-2010, 10:46 AM
You don't think Knick fans agree that our OLD management was hopeless? Horrible. Sources: NYK have new management. Respected by GMs, coaches and players around the league. And as far as media wasting time on us, it's a constant smear campaign. The only news we get is negative. Why is our Lebron plan leaked out but everyone else's is hush-hush? Someone busted on Donnie Walsh because he was in a wheel chair? Give me a break man. We get a top 5 PF and all of a sudden we're desperate and he's overrated? He was a top scoring player on a WCF team and is a 5 time all star. Get the ******* out with that *******. So... again... people love to hate Knicks.

Well, if what sources have said is true, LeBron didn't think much of your management or their plan. So if their master plan for the last two years is really not even considering them already, how did they not fail and settle for Amare. Sure Amare is fine, but no Knick fan can say they are all that excited if that is all that ends up coming.

Beengully26
07-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Good for them , they've been talk ***** for two years and for NOTHING!!! HA!

akagiredsuns
07-03-2010, 10:49 AM

:facepalm:

sintaks12
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Well, if what sources have said is true, LeBron didn't think much of your management or their plan. So if their master plan for the last two years is really not even considering them already, how did they not fail and settle for Amare. Sure Amare is fine, but no Knick fan can say they are all that excited if that is all that ends up coming.

Well, I guess I'm not a typical Knick fan then. All I know is we've been losing for a decade. Coming out of FA with Parker/Felton, JJ, Gallo, Chandler & Amare would be a HUGE step in the right direction IMO. Sure, I'd love Lebron... but getting him doesn't guarantee jack. In fact, I'm willing to bet that a Lebron-led team does NOT win a title next year... regardless of who is playing with him or where he's at.

Drunk Kosar 19
07-03-2010, 10:53 AM
sure seems like a good move till amares kneecap/balls explode like kyle in southpark

The Jokemaker
07-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I like the Amare signing, I think he'll do well in NY.

And as for the Knicks, I just came from NY and nobody up there really expected them to get Lebron anyway. If those reports are true about NY's presentation, then I say he will ultimately stay in Cleveland.

Do0msday
07-03-2010, 11:20 AM
sure seems like a good move till amares kneecap/balls explode like kyle in southpark

Great reference :P

I actually don't hate the signing that much because it's not like Amare is a bad player. I just hate the length of the deal, but the only way any team was going to get him was with a max deal so it had to be done. The main problem I have with it is that at the end of the day David Lee will produce around the same number, but for less money. Let's not pretend Amare is great defensively. When you add in the money and the durability issues then it just doesn't seem as wise of an investment when Lee was right there (and wanted to stay).

But in the end you can't fault the Knicks for opening their wallet to lure Amare there. They were basically forced to make a splash after missing out on Lebron. If they hadn't gotten anyone then the media would have gone postal on the Knicks. It's just 1 of those things where the Knicks can do nothing right. They're making less stupid moves than in the past, but they aren't cured yet.

DR. Pepper
07-03-2010, 11:23 AM
My friends parents went to school with mrs james(lebrons mom). and they got it strait from the source he thinks he is 100% done with cleveland.. if the knicks are out... its either chicago or miami with Nj nets as a longshot

Scrappy Doo
07-03-2010, 11:32 AM
My friends parents went to school with mrs james(lebrons mom). and they got it strait from the source he thinks he is 100% done with cleveland.. if the knicks are out... its either chicago or miami with Nj nets as a longshot

I'm not so sure the Nets aren't the favorite. If Bron's ego is as big as some suspect, he may not want to partner up with Wade in Miami or Chicago. And he may have been convinced by JayZ/Prokorov that he can become an icon billionaire with their help. And that the Nets roster is also good enough to allow for multiple championships but not too good where Lebron wouldn't get all the credit.

Maybe Bron has been sold that...

Nets = Billions, iconic status and rings credited to Bron

Playing with Wade/Bosh in Miami would mean rings but sharing the spot light.

Playing in Chicago would me a perpetual and impossible chase after Jordan.

Evolution23
07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Another made up article to give bulls fan a chance to breathe :)

Draco
07-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Another made up article to give bulls fan a chance to breathe :)

Sheridan's opinion pieces, which could only be taken seriously by Knicks fans, is what I call giving fans a chance to breathe. The Isola article is reporting, from a Knicks beat writer no less... yeah, his agenda includes giving Bulls fans a chance to breathe. :rolleyes:

effen5
07-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I think signing Amare to that long term contract is going to haunt them kinda like the EC signing...

In no way am I comparing EC and Amare but I just dont think hes worth it.

HOZ THE KNICK
07-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I think signing Amare to that long term contract is going to haunt them kinda like the EC signing...

that's what you are wishing right :p

oak2455
07-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm a Knicks fan, but I put weight into this report as Isola is local Daily News.

Oh well...

Not saying this is or isn't true But Frank and his source or sources hes a certified clown when it comes to knowledge of any sport:facepalm:

Melo15
07-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Really? Cause my friend has a sister who has an uncle who worked with someone who was named Cleveland and he knew a Cavs fan who told him that LeBron James was staying in Cleveland. I guess our sources gave us conflicting reports :confused:

shep33
Knicks fans are going to hate LBJ, usually he gets his cheers there but wow... he's gonna get it worse than if he left Cleveland IMO.

Knicks need another piece to go with Amare... I'm trying to think of someone, but I doubt its Wade, Bosh, or James. Prolly not Boozer. I dunno they need a guard, maybe with a miracle they could get someone like Cp3.

If i'm Donnie though, I wouldn't get desperate, next year there are some pretty good free agents starting with Melo. I'd like to see him play with the Nuggets, but if he gets eliminated next season early in the playoffs, then I'm betting he's done there.

Look at 2011's free agents (unrestricted and player option guys):

-Jamal Crawford (haha prolly won't happen in NYC)
-Kendrick Perkins
-Big Baby
-Tyson Chandler
-Mo Williams
-Caron Butler
-Melo
-JR Smith
-Nene
-Tayshaun Prince
-Yao Ming
-Shane Battier
-Troy Murphy
-Zach Randolph (won't happen)
-Michael Redd
-David West
-Pietrus
-Dalembert
-Barbosa
-Jrich
-Pryzbilla
-Carl Landry
-Tim Duncan (forget about it)
-Tony Parker
-AK47

I know its not as sexy as Lebron, but if they could add a couple of these players for cheaper price tags, they'd have a very solid team. I think people look too far into the superstars grouping together, when really we don't know how it works yet.

hugepatsfan

Because, believe it or not, the Knicks have some decent pieces. People just like to hate on the Knicks. Curry's deal is an 11 mil expiring - something a contending team would love to have at the deadline. CHandler, despite people saying otherwise, is a good SF on both ends of the floor. If I found out BOS had S&Ted Ray Allen for this package, I ould be ecstatic.

And remember, TP is in the last year of his deal. With all the rumors and George Hill on the roster, does anyone think he will resign? Other teams know he won't so, SA will have to take less than what people think he's worth.

oak2455
07-03-2010, 01:38 PM

the fact you watch southpark just shows me enough:facepalm::facepalm:

hugepatsfan
07-03-2010, 01:47 PM
the fact you watch southpark just shows me enough:facepalm::facepalm:

That he appreciates good comedy...

sintaks12
07-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Pachomp. Pachooey chomp. Pachooey chomp :D

beerman28
07-03-2010, 02:00 PM
amare and duhon are gonna be sick

csenoner
07-03-2010, 02:02 PM

finally someone making some sense. signing amare means we would be the first team with a max FA in place. If Bosh and Wade sign together in Chi or MIA it leaves Lebron without a Max FA to join unless he joins Amare in NYC. All these reports are bogus. Dantoni talked basketball with Bron. He illustrated why lebron will succeed in his system. Xs and Os. They talked big money and lets be real, Lebron and Amare would make the finals next year. All these people hate and make it seem like that team wouldnt be any good. its nonsense.

beerman28
07-03-2010, 02:06 PM
finally someone making some sense. signing amare means we would be the first team with a max FA in place. If Bosh and Wade sign together in Chi or MIA it leaves Lebron without a Max FA to join unless he joins Amare in NYC. All these reports are bogus. Dantoni talked basketball with Bron. He illustrated why lebron will succeed in his system. Xs and Os. They talked big money and lets be real, Lebron and Amare would make the finals next year. All these people hate and make it seem like that team wouldnt be any good. its nonsense.

:drunk:

Atownballa5
07-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Knicks fans good job with amare but I also agree, idk how he's gonna hold up...

And a lot of people are counting the nets out but idk I think They are still in it. I'm not sure he'd team up with Wade because of his ego. But I believe bosh is definitely teaming up with either lebron or bosh

KnickFanSince91
07-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Sheridan's opinion pieces, which could only be taken seriously by Knicks fans, is what I call giving fans a chance to breathe. The Isola article is reporting, from a Knicks beat writer no less... yeah, his agenda includes giving Bulls fans a chance to breathe. :rolleyes:

Frank Isola has had an agenda against Cablevision/Dolan for what seems like forever. It should also be noted that he's the worst writer on the Daily News Staff. He's the New York version of Chris Broussard.

oak2455
07-03-2010, 02:20 PM

thats good comedy ok:confused: family guy much much better not even close:eyebrow:

dimedrpr
07-03-2010, 02:53 PM
D'antoni had Amare in PHX with Steve Nash and couldn't make the finals. Now he goes to a team with a roster that isn't as good as those Suns teams and they expect to succeed? This Knicks team is going to be the Warriors EAST. That's just what the Knicks needed is another guy who doesn't play D. They are going to let David Lee and his rebounding walk and bring in a PF who doesn't play D and doesn't rebound for their run and miss system. I think David Lee's numbers are inflated by that system but he's still better on the glass than Amare. I like the Knicks because they provide comic relief and I like Knicks fans because they always think that everyone wants to play for the Knicks in the Garden. They are much more fun to laugh at than the Clippers.

jaded01
07-03-2010, 06:24 PM

well neither of them can play defense or rebound so... they got that going on as well.

nystandup
07-03-2010, 06:38 PM
D'antoni had Amare in PHX with Steve Nash and couldn't make the finals. Now he goes to a team with a roster that isn't as good as those Suns teams and they expect to succeed? This Knicks team is going to be the Warriors EAST. That's just what the Knicks needed is another guy who doesn't play D. They are going to let David Lee and his rebounding walk and bring in a PF who doesn't play D and doesn't rebound for their run and miss system. I think David Lee's numbers are inflated by that system but he's still better on the glass than Amare. I like the Knicks because they provide comic relief and I like Knicks fans because they always think that everyone wants to play for the Knicks in the Garden. They are much more fun to laugh at than the Clippers.

All I know is that the Knicks are heading in the right direction and it all started by getting under the cap. It's hard to build a championship team overnight, so I'm not expecting that. We will be way better than we were last year with the potential of making the playoffs. With Donnie Walsh we are not going to set ourselves back like we have in the past by having no flexibility with the cap. I'm confident that we will build a contender in the next 2-5 years.

elizur
07-03-2010, 06:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5350982

jimm120
07-03-2010, 06:51 PM

uhmmm...ya know...I actually PREFER to keep Chandler and Curry than take on Parker...

Chill_Will_24
07-03-2010, 08:33 PM
uhmmm...ya know...I actually PREFER to keep Chandler and Curry than take on Parker...

:laugh: silly Knicks fans. Then good luck with Chandler at PG. Amare has yet to play without a HOF point guard dishing him the ball.

OUT: David Lee, classy, hard working, cheaper, plays hard, rebounds, nice mid range game, doesnt play D

IN: Amare Stoudemire, Bad injury history, drama queen, unproven without a great PG, doesnt play D, doesnt rebound, relies heavily on athletisism...

Cromedome
07-03-2010, 08:35 PM
:laugh: silly Knicks fans. Then good luck with Chandler at PG. Amare has yet to play without a HOF point guard dishing him the ball.

OUT: David Lee, classy, hard working, cheaper, plays hard, rebounds, nice mid range game, doesnt rebound

IN: Amare Stoudemire, Bad injury history, drama queen, unproven without a great PG, doesnt play D, doesnt rebound, relies heavily on athletisism...

What's your favorite team so us "silly" Knick fans can have something to laugh about?

JnasD
07-03-2010, 08:49 PM
What's your favorite team so us "silly" Knick fans can have something to laugh about?

Must be a Nets Fan

Evolution23
07-03-2010, 08:58 PM

OUT: David Lee, classy, hard working, cheaper, plays hard, rebounds, nice mid range game, doesnt rebound

u mad?

Slimsim
07-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Fail :facepalm:

How many free agents you know talk about playing with D lee ?

Chill_Will_24
07-03-2010, 09:12 PM

How many of these free agents truly know what they want until the last moment. Truth is Knicks will regret letting Lee go and given out such a huge deal to an aging big man with injury flags. He has played great with Nash during his last years but i doubt he has much more than 2 years left on those knees

Swift n Sil3nt
07-03-2010, 09:13 PM

The same number that are talking about playing with Carlos Boozer. None. They are both good players, one is more of a starter (Boozer) while the other just manages to get the job done and put up great numbers (Lee). If this was 2011 though and Lee was a free agent he would be getting much more attention.

I dont believe any of these sources or rumors. I dont know who the members of the Knicks camp is. What I do know is there are reports out there that the Nets came up with the rumor of the Knicks presentation being bad because theirs may not have been as good as they would have liked. Rumors also state the Knicks werent prepared but how can you not be prepared when you have two years to research.

Fact of the matter is with Cleveland, Miami, Las Angeles, New York, New Jersey, and Chicago, if every team has an equal shot you still are only looking at 16.67 percent. Id call that very doubtful.

The chances Cleveland got the first overall pick was 25%. 75% chance they lose. Very, very doubtful they win. They won. I always look at it saying unless one team has a better than 50% chance of winning, each team looks doubtful for making the move, but they could look the least doubtful.

Chill_Will_24
07-03-2010, 09:15 PM
u mad?

Mad about what? Am i missing something? Anyway i dont have my hopes up for anyone. Im sick of Bosh, Wade and Bron getting so much hype. I honestly wouldnt care where he signs unless its the Nets. Unlikely but well all know soon anyway

VinceCarter
07-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Okay you're all acting like Amare is a Knick. :facepalm:

He hasn't signed yet so therefore he is not a Knick. Hedo last year changed his mind. But ESPECIALLY in this market with all of these big names if something else becomes more intriguing he could very easily bolt from this NY deal.