PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me what Steve Blake is all about?

Lakeshow86
07-03-2010, 02:58 AM
I've never really seen him play. I looked up his offensive stats. Not very impressive. Basically his offensive stats are comparable to Fishers. Probably an improvement over Farmar and Brown but not much. Nothing to really get too excited about. I hope he's a heck of a defender. If not, i really dont like this move. I would much rather have Miller. Maybe they can get both still? I hope they do.

NPH
07-03-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm so sleepy :/

iluvsports2much
07-03-2010, 03:18 AM
I've never really seen him play. I looked up his offensive stats. Not very impressive. Basically his offensive stats are comparable to Fishers. Probably an improvement over Farmar and Brown but not much. Nothing to really get too excited about. I hope he's a heck of a defender. If not, i really dont like this move. I would much rather have Miller. Maybe they can get both still? I hope they do.

idk how he is on defense, but hes underrated on offense...i remember a few years ago when this guy had like 15 assists in the first quarter and was on pace for like 60 assists in the game or something...dont quote me on the number cuz im not sure exactly how many he got, but the point is he could definately drop a dime.. hes an AMAZING shooter as well...i think hes a poor mans steve nash...not nearly as creative but still gets the job done...

yeah his stats arent that great, but he didnt really have anybody to pass to..imagine what he would do for the lakers..nobody is gonna guard him, there gonna double kobe off him and hes gonna drain 3s all day.. i say hes a 10 and 5 guy off the bench

Joe_Dirte
07-03-2010, 03:21 AM
i hope this helps

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Steve-Blake-1700/

Overview:A steady distributing point guard that is limited in certain respects, but can be an asset to some teams with his ability to make shots and create opportunities for his teammates. Has good size, but is not a tremendous athlete. Possesses middle-of-the-road size, quickness, and explosiveness for an NBA point guard. Lacks the strength to be a great finisher or defender. Can make an impact with his passing. Capable of doing some scoring, but that isnít really his forte. Will make an effort defensively, but his lack of athleticism hurts him more than it did on the college level. Won a state championship an Miami Senior HS (FL) before playing at the storied Oak Hill Academy (VA). Had a productive four year career at Maryland. Won an NCAA Championship with the Terapins in 2002. Bounced around the League after being picked in the second round. A complementary player that can be a nice asset for a team with the right players around him.

Offense: Offers most of his value as a passer and shooter, but brings some things to the table as a scorer as well. Gets about half of his touches in pick and roll situations with another quarter coming from spot up opportunities. Relies very heavily on his jump-shot for production and rarely gets to the basket or free throw line. Displays a smooth shooting stroke, but doesnít get great elevation or have a high release point. Takes quite a few threes each game, shooting a very respectable percentage. 3-point attempts make up between 40-50% of his total shots, but he is a good enough shooter to make that work. Attractive to some coaches because he can function as a catch and shoot guy without playing on the ball. Shot-selection is excellent. Not all that effective when pulling up off the dribble due to the fact that he canít create separation against many defenders. Will turn the corner on the pick and roll, but isnít quick enough to get to the rim without some help. Isnít going to finish at a high rate around the rim due to his lack of athleticism. Doesnít go to the foul line at all for that reason. Something of a streak shooter at the charity stripe. Wonít score terribly efficiently, but will set up his teammates at a high rate. Shows very good court vision, always looking for an open teammate. Ideally suited for pick and roll situations since he struggles to get by defenders himself and proves to be a very crafty passer in traffic. Would rather drive and dish than drive and score. Limited as a starting point guard at the end of shot-clocks and game-situations for that reason. Needs to have a great shot-creator next to him. Capable of running the break effectively. A good facilitator across the board. Has cut down on his turnovers as heís gotten older, and is now regularly amongst the league leaders in assist to turnover ratio for that reason. Mistake-free player with a high basketball IQ. Not an ideal option due to his lack of athleticism and slashing potential, but more than capable of running a team and has the added versatility of being able to see minutes at the 2 as a spot-up shooter. In a good situation playing next a big combo guard in Brandon Roy.

Defense: A passable defender that will give an effort, but lacks the athleticism or strength to make a big impact. Applies solid ball pressure in half-court settings. Has the size to contest the shots of most point guards, but isnít strong enough to defend other positions or more powerful players. Doesnít a good job closing out shooters and getting a hand up, but lacks the quickness to stay with most of the elite point guards in the game. Wonít shy away when forced to fight over a screen, but doesnít have the recovery speed to keep up with his man when he gets caught up. Shows good footwork and fundamentals when his man tries to get separation with hesitation and crossovers. Has a lot of good qualities on the defensive end, but often isnít explosive enough to stay with players who are overwhelmingly more physically gifted than him.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Steve-Blake-1700/#ixzz0sbMLYJiH
http://www.draftexpress.com

Statik1
07-03-2010, 03:25 AM
6'3 PG

'2 bigger then Fisher

Jackson loves bigger guards for the triangle that can 1. Run the triangle offense (Blake has the brian to do so) 2. Take limited high percentage shots 3. Play solid adequate defense 4. Able to hit 20-24 ft shot out of a rotating offense which the triangle is (no set plays).

I have watched Blake since his days at Maryland and love his game. No one believed he would make it in the NBA and he has stuck around and mulitple teams at the trade deadline have always wanted him. The Lakers finally gave him a solid deal and a place to stay unlike other teams. I believe he is going to fit in fine.

Lakeshow86
07-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Well, if the article joe Dirte posted is true i dont like this move. It says he's basically a average defender that cant handle elite point guards. THAT WAS THE WHOLE PROBELM WITH LAKER POINT GUARDS TO START WITH! FIsher , farmar and brown couldnt handle the leagues best point guards and were burned badly. If what is says is true about blakes defense than the lakers didnt address their biggest weaknes, which was PG defense.

KillaInstinct24
07-03-2010, 03:32 AM
steve blake is an older, poor man's version of hinrich....there, u get the picture now?

showtime24
07-03-2010, 03:46 AM
His gonna shoot 3's all day with kobe getting the assist.

Steve Blake Mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdAQT0TQOpU)

welcome steve! now work on your defense :D

mafiah1tman
07-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Bottom line:

He looks to PASS FIRST which means he's going to keep the offense running and everyone involved, especially if he runs the second unit--remember all those second quarters with the second unit giving up the lead by taking bad shots, not going inside, and overdribbling?

He's not the fastest PG and he won't be able to stay in front of the quicker scoring PGs (derrick rose, chris paul, nash, westbrook) but then again no one is going to stay in front of those guys (hence why they average close to 20+ PPG). But he is tall for a PG and by all accounts has a good attitude on defense.

And his best attribute is his 3PT shooting--he's shot near 40% from 3PT line for the last years which is ELITE considering he takes about 4 per game and he played for Portland, which had one of the slowest, plodding offenses in the league (as opposed to an uptempo offense like GS or Phoenix where there'd be lots of wide open shots).

And the fact of the matter is there was no better fit at PG out there in the FA market.

IDB Josh M
07-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Well, if the article joe Dirte posted is true i dont like this move. It says he's basically a average defender that cant handle elite point guards. THAT WAS THE WHOLE PROBELM WITH LAKER POINT GUARDS TO START WITH! FIsher , farmar and brown couldnt handle the leagues best point guards and were burned badly. If what is says is true about blakes defense than the lakers didnt address their biggest weaknes, which was PG defense.

I hate it when people whine about the "elite" point guards. The fact is, the Elite Point Guards can't even handle each other. Other than Kobe Bryant, there are very few guards that can adequately guard the best PG's. And Kobe can't even keep the elite PGs from dropping 10 dimes in a game.

Iron24th
07-03-2010, 05:08 AM
His gonna shoot 3's all day with kobe getting the assist.

Steve Blake Mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdAQT0TQOpU)

welcome steve! now work on your defense :D

Agree he'll be very effective with wide open looks he's gonna have in a team with Kobe,Bynum,Pau...

We won 2 straights championships without a true 3pts shooter,now we got him,and he's a true PG,not a SG in a PG's body like farmar or brown.

sp1derm00
07-03-2010, 05:16 AM
He can shoot and pass the ball very well. His defense is probably on par with Fishers. He will likely get torched by some of the quicker PG's in the league, but not to the extent that Fisher/Farmar/Brown have been torched.

From what I've seen in Portland, he makes good passes and likes to pass more than score. He's not a reluctant shooter though, if he's open he's gonna take it.

From what I can see, he fits well with us. He's basically Fisher with a better stroke, better passing, faster, but weaker.

PGLakers
07-03-2010, 06:38 AM

did u not read abt his offense and assists? he is lot more consistent on offense than farmar and brown combined. this guy can pass the ball and shoot the 3...do u not see how amazingly it would work in our offense.

he is a jump shooter...something that lakers lack [only kobe and gasol can hit jump shots]...this would be a big big plus for us. and i dont think FO is done making moves...lets see what else they add to our roster.

BrewinRamLakers
07-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Bottom line is this is a great signing.

Iceman_9
07-03-2010, 07:39 AM
as long as he plays tough Defense and makes the outside jumpers then this will be a good signing..

DayZ
07-03-2010, 09:21 AM
He's owned us a few times when we versed portland before he was traded.

From what we could have afforded, this is a good deal.

Black24Momba8
07-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Blake's a very good floor general that dosnt make many bad plays & can hit open shoots

Margie
07-03-2010, 09:50 AM
One thing i can say he's a better player then Jordon Farmer. Plus he won't make those bonehead plays Farmer use to make.

Rocco007
07-03-2010, 11:04 AM

-----------------------------------
Blake is a solid addition. He's smart, can stretch defenses with his range, and rarely gets beat off the dribble. The classic table-setter has a mean streak, too: legend has it he smashed a chair and brawled with teammates at an infamous Trail Blazer's practice in December of 2007, which helped save Portland's season.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-rumors/articles/103316-steve-blake-of-derek-fisher

Cooper
07-03-2010, 11:31 AM
How many other teams were going to offer him a four year deal....or even 4 mil per year? This is a puzzling move...but, like any puzzle. you can see the picture more clearly once you fit the pieces together.

Avenged
07-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Blake will do better than any of the PG's we've had in her past 2 years outside of Fisher.

The guy won't be asked to do much, just run the triangle and hit open shots, nothing more nothing less.

x_notorious
07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
How many other teams were going to offer him a four year deal....or even 4 mil per year? This is a puzzling move...but, like any puzzle. you can see the picture more clearly once you fit the pieces together.

I read somewhere that Orlando had him as their number 1 off-season target and they also offered him a 20 million dollar deal to back-up Nelson. To take less money and play for the defending back to back champs makes me like this guy already.

As for what he can bring to the table, see this:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4152/78921003.jpg

Avenged
07-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah, Blake had higher offers from other teams, at least that's what reports are saying but came to the Lakers for less money.

Citanoxeno
07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
he will be starting for us soon. I see Fish coming off the bench. Great sighning for LA. I thought he was the best free agent point guard.

Reclaim
07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Blake is a gritty player, too. Watch him take on Dwight Howard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwdQOEzuVYQ

He doesn't even flinch when Howard goes after him!

x_notorious
07-03-2010, 12:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-09wKAE4jE&feature=related

I like this one as well.

mamba24
07-03-2010, 12:35 PM
idk how he is on defense, but hes underrated on offense...i remember a few years ago when this guy had like 15 assists in the first quarter and was on pace for like 60 assists in the game or something...dont quote me on the number cuz im not sure exactly how many he got, but the point is he could definately drop a dime.. hes an AMAZING shooter as well...i think hes a poor mans steve nash...not nearly as creative but still gets the job done...

yeah his stats arent that great, but he didnt really have anybody to pass to..imagine what he would do for the lakers..nobody is gonna guard him, there gonna double kobe off him and hes gonna drain 3s all day.. i say hes a 10 and 5 guy off the bench

Agreed... blake shoots 40% for his career... mind u he has never played with a good team really... he shot 45% from the corner 3 last year... hes gonna get those looks all year long. i would say this is a solid pick up. i think fish will come back... i hope fish plays like 20-24 minutes a game

New Power House
07-03-2010, 03:33 PM
steve blake is an older, poor man's version of hinrich....there, u get the picture now?

Hinrich has been playing in a soft conference that lacks the kind of guards that the west has. Blake has been facing these guards for longer time. So lLakers know exactly what they got. Phil knows this guy very well and is his type of guard. He is better than Farmar,Brown and Sasha. He can star and keep the level that Fish has. He is better PG than Fisher is,but Fish is a tougher defender that has been playing with a championship team for a long time.

New Power House
07-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Agreed... blake shoots 40% for his career... mind u he has never played with a good team really... he shot 45% from the corner 3 last year... hes gonna get those looks all year long. i would say this is a solid pick up. i think fish will come back... i hope fish plays like 20-24 minutes a game

Ariza,Fisher,Artest and many other players shoot better because Kobe commands double team. Blake is a more consistent shooter than Fish is. Fish disappear from time to time and he gets lost when he has to make his on decisions on offense. Blake is better than Fish in this area. He is a better passer and because he is a better shooter Bynum and Gasol will benefit from this. Farmar,Brown and Sasha made us suffer because they all lack what this guy is going to bring and for 4 mill a year!

New Power House
07-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Gooden had a deal for 32 mill!! There are many desperate people out there.
Jones is getting 119 mill offer and he just flat failed leading the Hawks!!!
Blake's contract is decent and deserving for the kind of game that he will bring. He is consistent and healthy! Puke has been getting 5 mill and he is a waist of a player!! Oh! he has a really high IQ!

New Power House
07-03-2010, 03:45 PM
He can shoot and pass the ball very well. His defense is probably on par with Fishers. He will likely get torched by some of the quicker PG's in the league, but not to the extent that Fisher/Farmar/Brown have been torched.

From what I've seen in Portland, he makes good passes and likes to pass more than score. He's not a reluctant shooter though, if he's open he's gonna take it.

From what I can see, he fits well with us. He's basically Fisher with a better stroke, better passing, faster, but weaker.
He is a team player!! and he is hungry to shove it to Portland for letting him go! He knows our biggest enemy on the west!

JUICE46
07-03-2010, 03:58 PM
ehh this is an average signing Its not the longterm answer to our problems at the point. hes Just an average player same as weve had for years.
not to excited about this signing would have rather traded for a tony parker or CP3 or someone else kinda dissapointed

JUICE46
07-03-2010, 03:59 PM
PS how is portland our biggest enemy in the west?

id say OKC thunder by far.

Tymathee
07-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Blake is perfect for the triangle. fHe's basically a taller, skinnier fisher but a better passer. I love him for our team.

btw, you dont stop "elite" point guards by having a good defensive point guard yourself it's a team effort, plus they're called "elite" for a reason, if it was as easy as putting a good def pg on him, they wouldn't be called elite. Fisher could check some of the elite pgs but not all. Did u see what he did to Ray Allen? YOu do realize Fish is 6'1 has like a 30-32 inch vert now and Jesus Shuttlesworth is 6'6 right? And fish hounded him i think that's a tougher assignment than checking an elite pg checking an elite shooter around and through screens that's as deadly a shooter as ray allen is.

Tree Rollins
07-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Steve Blake is a gritty defender. He plays with a lot of effort. Has a good basketball IQ. Is a very good shooter, especially from 3. He makes good decisions with the ball and he should fit well into the triangle.
I'm glad we have him.

nanablvd
07-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Please, name one point guard free agent this year you think can address the Lakers' "biggest weakness" as you call it. a SG Mike miller that's even slower than Blake? a SG Raja Bell who can't pass like pg? Ridnour who can't defend at all? Felton who demands much more than MLE, is quicker and more atheletic but can't shoot?

Name one better pg defender than Blake. The pool for pg is not deep at all so for the Lakers to get one of the better ones in Blake just 2 days into the free agency period, we should be blessed.

The only pg free agent that I think may better suit the Lakers than Blake, is Fisher. I'd be happy if Fisher returns.

jrands
07-03-2010, 05:00 PM
One thing i can say he's a better player then Jordon Farmer. Plus he won't make those bonehead plays Farmer use to make.

Those boneheaded plays Jordan regularly made were tough to watch. I'm just glad the Lakers got a PG who can actually make an entry pass into the post on a consistent basis without a TO.

New Power House
07-03-2010, 05:23 PM
ehh this is an average signing Its not the longterm answer to our problems at the point. hes Just an average player same as weve had for years.
not to excited about this signing would have rather traded for a tony parker or CP3 or someone else kinda dissapointed

If you have Kobe in your team and the PG is not a dominant position then why do you need a guy that needs to dominate? Blake is prototype of a PG made for the Triangle offense. This guy is better than Fish. The difference is that Fish has develop a solid confident mind playing for a winner! Blake is not a superstar but he is a persistent and consistent PG that is going to maintain the level of play quality that Fish brings,but more consistently from the bench helping Fish extend his NBA life. Fish should sign for 3 a year with an option on his last year and move on. Lakers then can concentrate to refill the rest of the bench and go have fun for the rest of the summer and we can relax too!:facepalm:

Bruno
07-03-2010, 06:04 PM
He can pass, he can hit the three (the triangle is flawless when you have floor spreaders at the 1 and the 3) and his defense isnt horrible.

albertc86
07-03-2010, 08:52 PM
i remember a few years ago when this guy had like 15 assists in the first quarter and was on pace for like 60 assists in the game or something...

Lol. Was he really on pace for 60 assists in a game? Way to take a technicality too far. Let's not exaggerate now. So I suppose if a player scores 25 in the first, he's on pace for a 100, right? Lol...

Avenged
07-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Lol. Was he really on pace for 60 assists in a game? Way to take a technicality too far. Let's not exaggerate now. So I suppose if a player scores 25 in the first, he's on pace for a 100, right? Lol...

Technically yes. :p