PDA

View Full Version : Sir Charles sorts out the LeBron James situation

Wade_County
07-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Charles Barkley joined The Dan Patrick Show to talk about LeBron James, the Cavaliers and how the 2010 free agency season will play out.

On how surprised he was when he heard Byron Scott accepted the Cavs' head coaching job:

"Totally shocked. But I've been one of the few people all along, and I'm going to stick to it: LeBron James is staying in Cleveland. I think that it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity if he wins a championship in Cleveland. That's the thing that people aren't talking about. I think the Cavaliers are one of the five or six best teams in the NBA. People act like they stink. They [need] nice piece here or there. But they're one of the five or six best teams in the NBA, and I'm hoping LeBron stays in Cleveland."

I think Byron wanted a job, period, but I've said this all along, anyone who would take that job without LeBron is just stupid because I think you're going to get fired. Look at it realistically, who's the second-best player on the Cavaliers right now? I always tell people -- when people ask what I think of their team -- the first question I ask them is, 'Who's your best player?' And if they don't know the answer within two seconds, their team isn't any good. Like right now [with the Cavaliers], it's (Antawn) Jamison, Mo Williams, (Anderson) Varejao, and Delonte West. They're all good players, but there's no best player."

On if any teams are going to be left out in this process:

"Well, here's what I think is going to happen, Dan. Let's cut out all the bull about these players. There are two franchise players. LeBron James and Dwayne Wade. That's it. Let's stop there. All those other guys, they're good players who are trying to piggy-back. What's going to happen is that a bunch of those guys are going to get overpaid. Because New York, New Jersey, Chicago, when those teams don't get LeBron -- or even if they do get LeBron -- they're going to have to overpay for somebody else anyway. Somebody is going to get overpaid. LeBron is going to get paid, and Dwayne is going to get paid. But those people in New York, they're not going to let the Knicks stink for another year."

On who is the best free agent after LeBron James and Dwayne Wade:

"I might go with Carlos Boozer. I think Boozer is probably the most consistent. Amare is probably the most talented, but Amare's got red flags. He's got the knee issue and he's got the eye issue. Those are things that concern me. He's had micro-fracture surgery, and if you look at all the guys who have had micro-fracture surgery -- whether it's Chris Webber, Jamal Mashburn, Penny Hardaway -- all those guys' careers have been cut short."

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=5349507

tangent12
07-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Staying in Cleveland is definitely one of the most overlooked options. Like I've said, it'll be on his mind till the very moment he makes the final decision.

cmellofan15
07-02-2010, 04:10 PM
what about making $978,423,435,645,876,434.98 in NY?

JordansBulls
07-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm sure Lebron doesn't want to continue to get upset in the playoffs on that team.

Rosh
07-02-2010, 04:15 PM
It's a shame the Cavaliers really don't have much flexibility to get that extra piece here and there.

97NYer
07-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I like how he left off Bosh...

The Prodigy
07-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I like how he left off Bosh...

I'm pretty sure he didn't leave Bosh out. Honestly he doesn't really deserve the max.
He hasn't been pass the first round and didn't even make the play offs last year.
IMO the only players I think deserve the Max in the league now are Kobe, Wade, Lebron, D-Will, Cp3, Dwight(due to the lack of quality centers) and possibly Mello. No one else really deserves it. In order to get the Max like I said before you have to be at an elite level at more than 1 aspect of the game.

Draco
07-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Staying in Cleveland is definitely one of the most overlooked options. Like I've said, it'll be on his mind till the very moment he makes the final decision.

Having a Cavs representative who's James' friend at every meeting with other teams leading up to the meeting with the Cavs then that's a big advantage.

JasonJohnHorn
07-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Cleveland is the best option I think, in terms of his legacy. If he wants to win Chi-town is already a playoff team, and NJ has some nice pieces in Lopez, Favors and Harris, but his legacy i dont think would be the same if he jumps ship. He will have left work undone.

The Cavs have players, can likely keep Shaq and Big Z if they want, and they can use MLE to pick up a good shooting guard, and if you ask me, if they keep Big Z and Shaq and have Anderson and Hickson, Jamison is expendable and can be used as trade bait (perhaps send him to the Pistons for a shooting guard like Hamilton, or call up the Raptors who will likely need a "name" player to sell to their fan and get a third team involves that has shooting guard). They have a good point guard, and a good back-up point guard in Delonte West (who should NOT be playing shooting guard EVER!!!), and maybe a guy like Krover could help spread the floor and give them a shooter on the wing that the Cavs need.

The Cavs are not far off from being a Championship team. I believe LBJ's best option is to stay in Cleveland and try to win a title there.

Look at it this way: Oscar Robertson only won one title, and he is still considered one of the greatest of all time. Dr. J as well. Wilt only has two, and he is considered one of the greatest of all time. So I dont think in the long run LBJ's legacy will be hampered by the fact he didnt win as many titles as shaq or Kobe or Magic (which he may or may not do). Everybody knows that Magic and Bird and Kobe and Duncan were all lucky to be drafted by contenders and in turn the numbers of titles each has, be it 3 or 4 or 5, are as much reflective of their situation as their talent and drive. LBJ has pushed as less than stellar team to the NBA finals, has been the MVP of two teams with the league's best record, and yes, he has come up short in the playoffs, but he has done more with less. Its like the Cavs put out a team like: Garnett, Pierce, Allen and Rondo, or Gasol Odom Bryant and Bynum.

I think if James leaves the Cavs he's leaving work unfinished and if he hopes to another contender, it will dillute his lagacy ever if he wins multiple titles.

cmellofan15
07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
in terms of his legacy

there's no legacy without a title, something Cleveland can't give LeBron.

xbrackattackx
07-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure he didn't leave Bosh out. Honestly he doesn't really deserve the max.
He hasn't been pass the first round and didn't even make the play offs last year.
IMO the only players I think deserve the Max in the league now are Kobe, Wade, Lebron, D-Will, Cp3, Dwight(due to the lack of quality centers) and possibly Mello. No one else really deserves it. In order to get the Max like I said before you have to be at an elite level at more than 1 aspect of the game.

I would have to add Durant and maybe Roy.

sp1derm00
07-02-2010, 05:10 PM

I would definitely add Durant.

The Prodigy
07-02-2010, 05:25 PM

I was going to put Roy and didn't put Durant because he hasn't done much yet, but will definitely earn it in a year or 2

IndiansFan337
07-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm sure Lebron doesn't want to continue to get upset in the playoffs on that team.

Any team is capable of being upset in the playoffs. Nobody can make me believe that Detroit was better than LAL the yr that they won the championship.

The Raven
07-03-2010, 03:28 AM
I honestly have no idea where he's going to go. It just seems to be going back and forth between the Cavs, Bulls, and Heat. I think in terms of what he should do, i think he should stay in Cleveland and try and win a championship there but, if he does leave to another team with another superstar, i dont blame him for doing it

THE MTL
07-03-2010, 03:34 AM
ppl are underrating Cleveland. Wow, they had one bad series and lost to the Celtics. Well, the Celtics crumbled the Magic and took the Lakers to the VERY LAST 6 minutes of a Game 7 Finals series.

Cleveland is still a great team for Lebron and STILL offers the best chance at a title. Also Jamison wasnt even incorporated into that team. Byron Scott is a MUCH MUCH better coach.

With that said, I still says he leaves for New York Knicks....but Cleveland is still a great option.

SluggeR
07-03-2010, 04:04 AM
The two places he an build a legacy is cleveland and new york, when are the last time they won? Far as I know neither have a statue in front of their arena...AW MANE!!!