PDA

View Full Version : Joe Johnson re-signs with Atlanta

LakerFan4L1fe24
07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
In a surprise move Thursday, Joe Johnson agreed in principle to re-sign with the Atlanta Hawks for a "max" contract of six years, roughly $120 million.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2010-07-01-Gay-johnson-sign_N.htm

marlinsfan24
07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
He's not worth that money.

Kakaroach
07-01-2010, 11:50 PM
He's not worth that money. Not in those later years for sure, but I guess they really wanted to keep him. But man, thats a rough contract to deal with.

Jays Claw
07-01-2010, 11:50 PM
As expected.

He couldn't possibly walk away from that much money.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2010, 11:51 PM
This drastically changes FA for a lot of teams. JJ and Bosh are the guys that I think make sense as Lebron sidekicks. Now one of those options is gone. I think this eliminates NYK for Lebron.

tdunk21
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
good for JJ...but slightly overpaid isnt it?

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-01-2010, 11:54 PM
This drastically changes FA for a lot of teams. JJ and Bosh are the guys that I think make sense as Lebron sidekicks. Now one of those options is gone. I think this eliminates NYK for Lebron.

Amare,Bosh, are still available last i checked. But it does affect us slightly.

Sinattle
07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Well he did it for the Atlanta fans :rolleyes:

kyubi256
07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Holy moly... he is not worth 120M.

But good signing. And how does it eliminate NY? There are still many top free agents left.

Amare, Bosh, Wade (doubtful), Pierce (doubtful), Ray Allen (maybe?), Dirk (maybe?), and others... There is still a chance

arkanian215
07-01-2010, 11:58 PM

The Knicks were probably looking to pair LeBron with a big anyway. I would still say it had a significant impact considering JJ was the first guy the Knicks tried to contact (correct?).

hugepatsfan

A team is not going to win with Bosh/Amare at C and Galinari at PF. Not enough size/defense/toughness inside. Lebron knows that. That's why I never saw Bosh/Amare as a good pairing in NY with Lebron. The 2nd max player for them had to be JJ, IMO.

Dol-Fan
Nice...the dominoes are falling. Imagine if everyone stays put? What do the Knicks do then? Try out Allan Houston again? Marbury? maybe go a new route and sign Iverson?

ugafan
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
S&T is all I can hope for. I'd rather rebuild and suck than pay his overrated *** that much money. Absolutely ridiculous.

arkanian215
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
A team is not going to win with Bosh/Amare at C and Galinari at PF. Not enough size/defense/toughness inside. Lebron knows that. That's why I never saw Bosh/Amare as a good pairing in NY with Lebron. The 2nd max player for them had to be JJ, IMO.

But then who fits in at the 4 and 5 spots? Bosh/Amar'e is better than Barron/Minimum salary Big man.

lavell12
07-02-2010, 12:03 AM
If your a team you have to ask your self one question when making a deal like this:

Can you win a title with Joe Johnson being your number 1 player?

As good as JJ is the answer is NO to that question.

kyubi256
07-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Nice...the dominoes are falling. Imagine if everyone stays put? What do the Knicks do then? Try out Allan Houston again? Marbury? maybe go a new route and sign Iverson?

In that scenario, they have to hope for next year... or use that salary cap to get bad contracts and very good draft picks.

But that trade last year is looking much worst than. Because it'd have been great if we got to keep our picks

xabial
07-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow. Couple of years from now this might be considered a "Rashrd Lewis" type of contract. Really overpaying.

Sadds The Gr8
07-02-2010, 12:10 AM
OVER-PAID *clap clap clapclapclap*

cant believe they gave a max to a guy that disappears faster than a criss angel act in the playoffs

RaiderLakersA's
07-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Too much money to pass up.

I think we just heard a few of the franchises that gutted their teams in order to make a big splash this year wince.

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-02-2010, 12:11 AM

A Mike D system would have LBJ at the 2, Gallo at the 3, Bosh/Amare at the 4..
The 5 would be played by committe... Curry,Barron,Jordan

And small lineups would happen during certain stretches of the game.. The heat went for Amare first. Does that mean they want him more than LBJ. They went according to schedules ... I guess we wanted Mike miller first since we spoke to him b4 Lebron

Marlins97and03
07-02-2010, 12:16 AM
OUCHHHHHHHHHHH

JJ is very good but come on Man, he is a Number 2 Guy in a championship Team he is not a franchise Player thats for sure

GOON MUSIC
07-02-2010, 12:18 AM
imma go out on a limb and say Joe Johnson will not win a championship in his playing career

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:23 AM
I mean, how many #1 guys are there in the NBA? Has to be lower than 30. So some teams overpay for guys (there best players). Why not pay the top scorer on a top East team? I know it's a long long contract, but you all act like we can get Lebron or something.

We got a top 10 Center.
We got a top 10 PF.
We got a top 3 SG.
We got the best 6th Man in the NBA.

So we got good players and they get paid.

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-02-2010, 12:23 AM

Yep , thats the plan:eyebrow:

Giantwarrior
07-02-2010, 12:24 AM
who cares. im sure the Hawks will make their money back, i just dont see them competing for a championship, at least they will be competitive. overpaid yes, but they are better off then without JJ.

JordansBulls
07-02-2010, 12:24 AM
So Atlanta signed a guy for that much to when they have barely been getting to round 2 with him???

numba1CHANGsta
07-02-2010, 12:25 AM
What a monster deal for a non-franchise type player

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I mean, how many #1 guys are there in the NBA? Has to be lower than 30. So some teams overpay for guys (there best players). Why not pay the top scorer on a top East team? I know it's a long long contract, but you all act like we can get Lebron or something.

We got a top 10 Center.
We got a top 10 PF.
We got a top 3 SG.

It's a bad contract but ATL had to do it.. Maybe a MLE player helps u guys go further. Congrats on signing Joe J

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:27 AM
It's a bad contract but ATL had to do it.. Maybe a MLE player helps u guys go further. Congrats on signing Joe J

Thanks dude. We got a solid team with top 10 players in 3 positions.

If not the Cavs, I am hoping LBJ goes to the Knicks for you guys.;)

The Dream
07-02-2010, 12:28 AM

We trade then

Ragun
07-02-2010, 12:29 AM
atlanta is going to regret this. they should of looked into a sign-and-trade

69centers
07-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Not to be technical, but he can't sign until the 8th. Thread should read "agrees to re-sign with Atlanta". As others have pointed out scenarios where people have changed minds, and reneged on deals, this isn't an official signing until then.

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:30 AM
So Atlanta signed a guy for that much to when they have barely been getting to round 2 with him???

It was more the Magic being better this time. Everyone sucked. Do you remember Josh "taking plays off" Smith? We were done game 1. Joe doesn't always suck in the playoffs. He did beat Wade in a 7 game series last year. He only plays one position. Kobe never advanced without Pau or Shaq. Let Horford grow some more.

We just need to improve last years team, and our GM said so. So look for us to get a rotational back-up center for Horford for games against the Magic, etc.

40oz
07-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Good for him. I know i wouldnt turn that down.

Catfish1314
07-02-2010, 12:33 AM
The Hawks are financially ****ed now for a long time. The team they have is at least another player JJ's caliber away from being a real contender IMO. If Chris Paul is really on the market, I would take a long serious look at that if I'm Atlanta.

arkanian215
07-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Not to be technical, but he can't sign until the 8th. Thread should read "agrees to re-sign with Atlanta". As others have pointed out scenarios where people have changed minds, and reneged on deals, this isn't an official signing until then.

:laugh: Yeah but they have us hanging on every word. 7 more days of this that and the other. Hopefully some more $30-40 million deals while we wait for the big fish.

xabial
The Hawks are financially ****ed now for a long time. The team they have is at least another player JJ's caliber away from being a real contender IMO. If Chris Paul is really on the market, I would take a long serious look at that if I'm Atlanta.

If ATL had enough asets to offer for Chris Paul, they wouldnt be a contendor after the trade.

tredigs
This will be a sign and trade. I highly doubt he is staying in Atlanta.

kyubi256
07-02-2010, 12:37 AM
^I highly doubt Atlanta trades him if they signed him... They are a contender.

And honestly, who would trade for him? His 20M per year is more than the 16+ million if the max team signed him.

That extra 4M might prevent a team from signing 2 max, which is what they want...

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:38 AM
If ATL had enough asets to offer for Chris Paul, they wouldnt be a contendor after the trade.

What does that mean?

We could offer Al Horford and expirings (Bibby, which can also bring a vet to back-up Collison) and that is better for them then a Harris or Jameer centered trade. They already have Collison, so a Collison/Horford team is better than a Collison/Harris or Collison/Jameer.

We can even take on Okafor for them to dump salary.

You mean to tell me this can't contend:

Chris Paul
Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford
Marvin (though rumors of dumping him)
Josh Smith
Okafor

VillaMaravilla
its not looking to good for the knicks right now sad sad sad

Denver-boy
idk how relible ur source is, but there is nothing on Adam Schefter Twitter, rotoworlds nba page or ESPN.... so how can i even trust this is real.....

PLAYERS FAN

We got a top 10 Center.
We got a top 10 PF.
We got a top 3 SG.

I hope Larry Drew brings a better offensive strategy with that team.

NYK|NYY
07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Thank god, I hope he stays there. Stay away from my team Joe Johnson.

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I hope Larry Drew brings a better offensive strategy with that team.

Well he hasn't talked about a strategy yet, BUT has said he is kicking out the Joe Iso, so that is already a win for us. The only reason that was even happening was Woodson.

DamnGoat
07-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Hard for anyone to turn that money down, but I find it kind of amusing how he ripped ATL fans after the season and now he's back just like that.

Anyway, the Hawks screwed themselves for the next 6 years with this deal. Same team that's going to be a 4-5 seed every year, not likely to get too many impact players in the draft that way and they won't have any cap room to make any significant changes. So they just locked themselves into somewhere between above average and very good for the next half decade (which won't amount to much)...what a great plan.

jackdawson
He is a money whore like other stars but he is different than all other stars because he absolutely doesn't have any ambitions for championships.

He is going to be Rashard Lewis version 2.0.

*Silver&Black*
Thank god, I hope he stays there. Stay away from my team Joe Johnson.

Yeah, since the Knicks have been better than what Joe Johnson's team has done the last 3-4 years.:rolleyes:

Catfish1314

Not necessarily. Usually when teams are openly shopping a player, they end up taking less back for him than he's worth. And when they're shopping a player as good as Paul, they will almost always get back less than he's worth.

And the Hawks do have some chips to play around with. Al Horford is a desirable commodity. He was a rock solid 14 and 9 player this year and still improving.

And I wasn't saying the Hawks can or can't or would get Chris Paul. All I'm saying is that he's reportedly available and the Hawks definitely need another piece to get them over the top. Paul could be the guy and it's at least worth a shot.

EaglesJackson10
In a couple of years this will be the worst contract in basketball.

VillaMaravilla
07-02-2010, 12:42 AM
i didnt want him either atleast not for max but i just dont see anyone coming now to NY HOPEFULLY im wrong

adidas2307
07-02-2010, 12:44 AM
It was more the Magic being better this time. Everyone sucked. Do you remember Josh "taking plays off" Smith? We were done game 1. Joe doesn't always suck in the playoffs. He did beat Wade in a 7 game series last year. He only plays one position. Kobe never advanced without Pau or Shaq. Let Horford grow some more.

We just need to improve last years team, and our GM said so. So look for us to get a rotational back-up center for Horford for games against the Magic, etc.

Really?!

*Silver&Black*
Hard for anyone to turn that money down, but I find it kind of amusing how he ripped ATL fans after the season and now he's back just like that.

Anyway, the Hawks screwed themselves for the next 6 years with this deal. Same team that's going to be a 4-5 seed every year, not likely to get too many impact players in the draft that way and they won't have any cap room to make any significant changes. So they just locked themselves into somewhere between above average and very good for the next half decade (which won't amount to much)...what a great plan.

Dude, you act like a different team wins a title every year. Only 2-3 teams are winning titles these days, so I rather be a 50 win team with 2nd round exits and a CHANCE to advance, rather than a sucky team not even in the playoffs.

NYK|NYY
Yeah, since the Knicks have been better than what Joe Johnson's team has done the last 3-4 years.:rolleyes:

Anytime you can pay a 29 year old 2nd option who comes up REALLY big during the playoffs you lock him up. I don't care if you have to pay this guy 120 million dollars! Is that sarcastic enough for you?

My team has nothing to do with this signing other then considering signing him for his worth (which is not what your team just did). This is not a good signing spin it ANY way you want but everyone here is bashing it.

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Really?!

Really.

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Anytime you can pay a 29 year old 2nd option who comes up REALLY big during the playoffs you lock him up. I don't care if you have to pay this guy 120 million dollars! Is that sarcastic enough for you?

My team has nothing to do with this signing other then considering signing him for his worth (which is not what your team just did). This is not a good signing spin it ANY way you want but everyone here is bashing it.

Okay buddy, you were the one shouting out that the sucky Knicks should not have Joe Johnson anywhere near your team. Like your team is better than him. Get real.

Mell413
07-02-2010, 12:48 AM
I think we know what JJ is all about after this deal. That contract is horrible. He's a good, but not great players. He's not worth max money.

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Everybody knows he isn't worth Max, but name 30 #1 options? You can't. So some teams will overpay. Rather overpay a guy that went 50+ wins than Rudy Gay.

NYK|NYY
07-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Okay buddy, you were the one shouting out that the sucky Knicks should not have Joe Johnson anywhere near your team. Like your team is better than him. Get real.

My team is better off without them handing out max money to him. I actually was okay with him if he would have taken a paycut.

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:55 AM
My team is better off without them handing out max money to him. I actually was okay with him if he would have taken a paycut.

I would of loved for him to make less too, but it's a business and there just isn't 30 #1 options out there, you know.

ClayMatthews
Someones set for the next few years. I hope they think they paid him enough.

adidas2307
Really.

I didn't know the key to go farther in the playoffs was to improve your team.

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 12:57 AM
I didn't know the key to go farther in the playoffs was to improve your team.

You didn't? Hmmm, some people wanted us to let our best player walk so he can sign with the Bulls and Knicks. hmmmm.

Chives
07-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I think the Hawks overpaid him, but he is their best player so either way I guess. Does anyone else think this might be step one of a sign and trade?

adidas2307
07-02-2010, 01:00 AM
You didn't? Hmmm, some people wanted us to let our best player walk so he can sign with the Bulls and Knicks. hmmmm.

Well of course they did. Don't you want LeBron James?

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Well of course they did. Don't you want LeBron James?

We didn't have cap space to get Lebron. And signing his buddy Joe back could help Lebron talk the Cavs into a sign and trade for Marvin and Josh Smith of course.:D

Atlanta comes out winners with a Lebron/Joe/Horford combo. Take that Heat fans.:)

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 01:04 AM
I think the Hawks overpaid him, but he is their best player so either way I guess. Does anyone else think this might be step one of a sign and trade?

I wouldn't mind him staying or sign and trade.

Re-signing him means we want to win.

Sign and trading means we want cap space for next year. (Melo in the ATL?)

adidas2307
07-02-2010, 01:06 AM
We didn't have cap space to get Lebron. And signing his buddy Joe back could help Lebron talk the Cavs into a sign and trade for Marvin and Josh Smith of course.:D

Atlanta comes out winners with a Lebron/Joe/Horford combo. Take that Heat fans.:)

I know you don't have the cap space. I was just saying that if the situation presented itself, you would be more than glad to take LeBron from Cleveland just like teams were looking to take Joe from Atlanta.

omdigga
07-02-2010, 01:07 AM
JJ made the hawks relevant again... the way players are getting paid, he probably would get the max somewhere else..

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 01:07 AM
I know you don't have the cap space. I was just saying that if the situation presented itself, you would be more than glad to take LeBron from Cleveland just like teams were looking to take Joe from Atlanta.

Sure I would, but to be real, he wouldn't of came here if Joe wasn't here. Don't know if Lebron likes Josh Smith and Al Horford enough.

finfan19
07-02-2010, 01:19 AM
wow . def. over paid . hawks are not thinking. Great guy. But he's already proven he doesn't step up in big games in the playoffs. & That is superstar playoff type of money. Whatever Atlanta. Thank god your not my team. ~ Go Heat ! lets make history this year with our roster !

mr. red
07-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Doesn't make any sense for ATL to sign him to a max contract for that many years. I'd assume it's a sign and trade..JJ is a good player, but not worth a max deal...

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 01:21 AM
wow . def. over paid . hawks are not thinking. Great guy. But he's already proven he doesn't step up in big games in the playoffs. & That is superstar playoff type of money. Whatever Atlanta. Thank god your not my team. ~ Go Heat ! lets make history this year with our roster !

Good job. I commented on your homer created thread about Heat line-ups and you come to bash my team in a thread I didn't create.

Welcome to PSD!:D

Baldyy
07-02-2010, 01:23 AM
In a couple years that's going to be the worst contract in basketball, wayyy overpaid, but if they wanted to stay competitive they kind of had to do it.

*Silver&Black*
07-02-2010, 01:27 AM
In a couple years that's going to be the worst contract in basketball, wayyy overpaid, but if they wanted to stay competitive they kind of had to do it.

This is the feeling Hawks fans have. We want to keep winning, but way overpaid is right.

A sign and trade is something I am opened to if it atleast keeps us in the playoffs and cap space next summer.

Jeff559
07-02-2010, 01:30 AM
wow, definitely gonna be considered one of the worst contract in the nba in the following years. ONe less free agent for the knicks to be able to sign though. :D

KB24PG16
07-02-2010, 01:38 AM
hawks wont get to the ecf with this roster

The Raven
07-02-2010, 04:37 AM
wow. Why would you pay that much for a player like Joe Johnson. He's not even considered a superstar. Do you think people will pay to see him play. No way in hell. You only give that kind of dough to Superstar Caliber Players and Joe Johnson isnt one of them. bad move by the hawks for a player who isnt even worth that much

GOON MUSIC
07-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Bryant Making 90 Mil in 3 years is REAL superstar money

jtrinaldi
07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Joe-Johnson-to-sign-a-ridiculous-deal-with-the-A?urn=nba,252877

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2010, 10:36 AM
oh boy that would be ridicioulos:facepalm:

R_O_W_E
07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
This is what the FA market costs. If you don't like it, don't spend. If you don't spend, you'll have a crappy team. Crappy team = lost revenue.

Everybody is complaining about the costs of these guys. Maybe, just maybe, they were UNDERPAID the past few years.

Don't you guys understand supply and demand?

WSU Tony
07-02-2010, 10:40 AM
+1 to that post above. That's the first good post I've seen from you! :)

97NYer
07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Gay/Johnson off the market.

ewells20
07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I tend to agree, you gotta spend money to get wins, pure and simple. However, does everyone think that Joe Johnson is worth Kobe Bryant money? Was Rashard Lewis worth that same amount? Yes their teams benefit from having those guys on them, however, it would seem that they just aren't the caliber player to get Kobe or Lebron paychecks... and if the player you are paying max contract to does not live up to the paycheck or is not worth that amount, it can handicap your chances to put more pieces around them

Russell_Roberts
07-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Worst contract ever!!! I would waive him i would def not sign him to 100 mil contract

Raidaz4Life
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Bad move by the Hawks

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
wow that is really bad, the new CBA agreement coming and the cap will be lower...a lot lower

atlanta is ****ed for 6 next years

effen5
07-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Thank god the Bulls didn't pay him that.

bmac_121
07-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Joe Johnson was going to get a Max contract no matter who signed him.

OG "Dee" LOCc
07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I honestly rather give amare the max then him at this point, we need a big, didnt need another wing not named lebron james

R_O_W_E
07-02-2010, 11:19 AM
wow that is really bad, the new CBA agreement coming and the cap will be lower...a lot lower

atlanta is ****ed for 6 next years

Exactly.

Do you lose games 5-10 games without Joe Johnson? Yes.

Is winning games 5-10 games with Joe Johnson worth $119 Million? :whistle:

Hawks should've just let Johnson walk and went ahead with building around 24 year olds Josh Smith & Al Horford. You can tank in the lottery this year and bring in a very talented player to join that group.

PrettyBoyJ
07-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Rudy Gay is gone, JJ, this closes the door for a lot of teams in the FA hunt, and put other players in high demand

ugafan
07-02-2010, 11:30 AM
This is the feeling Hawks fans have. We want to keep winning, but way overpaid is right.

A sign and trade is something I am opened to if it atleast keeps us in the playoffs and cap space next summer.

Speak for yourself. I'd rather try and rebuild than overpay his severely overrated *** what he doesn't deserve. He is NOT a #1 option on any contending team.

PHILLYNIKES
07-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Really bad move by the Hawks. JJ is a good player but not good enough for that money.So are the Hawks done makin moves since spending that all on jj? They are still the same team as last year. Just jj got richer

futureman
07-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Holy moly... he is not worth 120M.

But good signing. And how does it eliminate NY? There are still many top free agents left.

Amare, Bosh, Wade (doubtful), Pierce (doubtful), Ray Allen (maybe?), Dirk (maybe?), and others... There is still a chance

Amare and Ray Allen would probably be the best the knicks can do.

BIGBLUEWEGOHARD
07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
..I'd rather try and rebuild than overpay his severely overrated *** what he doesn't deserve. He is NOT a #1 option on any contending team.

X2.

Remember, they're not just paying him now. That contract will last beyond his best days & will hamper the franchise for years. They'll have opportunities to pick guys up & won't be able to because of that albatross hanging around their necks. If he gets injured early on & is never the same even worse. Regardless, he'll never live up to that contract. What a horrible deal. Oh well. Cash them checks JJ.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Amare and Ray Allen would probably be the best the knicks can do.

Don't count out Donnie Walsh:no:

He isn't clearing cap for scrubs:eyebrow: