PDA

View Full Version : Amir Johnson re-ups with Toronto, for $34 million!

ManRam
07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Amir Johnson(notes) has reached agreement on a five-year, $34 million contract to return to the Toronto Raptors, his agent Kevin Bradbury told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

Johnson, 23, averaged 6.2 points and 4.8 rebounds while playing all 82 games for the Raptors last season. Bradbury said Johnson considered about four teams before agreeing quickly to return to Toronto on the first day of free agency.

“Amir didn’t want to play the free agency game,” Bradbury said. “He wanted to go back to Toronto. He’s young and he has security and a lot of basketball left in him.”

Johnson can’t sign the contract until July 8 when the signing moratorium ends.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-johnsonraptors070110

mark1125
07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Wow.....just wow.

Kakaroach
07-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah he got a Drew Gooden-like deal. Very surprising but I'm guessing he'll have an increased role next year with Bosh most likely leaving.

ManRam
Wow.....just wow.

Iodine can verify it. He posted it on his facebook. My exact response : "wow. just wow."

Wsupden
wow, hedo v2.0?

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 09:14 PM
A little more than I thought, but I'm happy nonetheless.

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
wow, hedo v2.0?

no.

DaVille
First it was drew gooden, now amir Johnson. Is this some kinda elaborate hoax? Gotcha!

Gators123
Suddenly, Charlie Villanuevas contract seems a little better.

Iodine
07-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Did teams just turn off the salary cap option?

I mean, I thought someone hacked rotoworld
I mean its not his fault at all, in fact I think he probably asked them to make sure it was 34 mil and not 3.4 mil

I am to amazed to make a smartass comment. the only other time this has happened is the first time I got head

ManRam
07-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Amir has a ton of upside. But he hasn't earned this contract yet...not at all. I do think he's actually going to be a really good player. Really good.

But again...I think Toronto reached a bit with this one. Too much money...especially for a team that isn't really in the best cap situation.

JNA17
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f227/ginnyesq/Shocked.gif

numba1CHANGsta
07-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Who is he?:eyebrow:

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Amir has a ton of upside. But he hasn't earned this contract yet...not at all. I do think he's actually going to be a really good player. Really good.

But again...I think Toronto reached a bit with this one. Too much money...especially for a team that isn't really in the best cap situation.

Much agreed

Iodine
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM

I said the same thing about JMax when he got his deal(well not really good). and they were both teammates.....

DaoudS
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Summer of crazy deals. Everyone seems to be getting "overpaid"

CB4MVP
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
I love Amir. If everyone on the raptors team would have played hard like he did, they would have made the playoffs. However, I don't see how they can justify such a large contract for a player who really hasn't proven he's worth more then maybe $4M per year. By the end of this deal he'll be making somewhere around 8M per year. That's too much.

ManRam
07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
I said the same thing about JMax when he got his deal(well not really good). and they were both teammates.....

True. I'm not saying it's a good deal. Not at all. But perhaps in hindsight it might pay off.

blah-blah
07-01-2010, 09:24 PM
bc is an overpayer thats for sure

D1JM
07-01-2010, 09:24 PM
so can aaron gray get a 30 million deal somewhere too?

Iodine
07-01-2010, 09:25 PM
True. I'm not saying it's a good deal. Not at all. But perhaps in hindsight it might pay off.

You know your a ****** GM if you can brag about how you managed to pull off the greatest what if and potential moves of all time

mavwar53
07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I think it will end up being a great contract, it took a long time for Jermaine O'neal to develop, I think Amir is on the same path and will be a pretty good player

BranWingss
07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
This seels it, Bosh isn't coming back.

ShakeN'Bake
07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Thats a bad contract

PrettyBoyJ
07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Whats good wit these players getting these undeserved contracts.. I already seen Drew Gooden get one now this scrub smh at the league

DaVille
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I think it will end up being a great contract, it took a long time for Jermaine O'neal to develop, I think Amir is on the same path and will be a pretty good player

If it makes you feel better about. But for every JO, there are 100s Jerome James.

mikantsass
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Wow big money for him. Better than the Darko contract though

Melo15
07-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Really? Wow............

GodsSon
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Don't kid yourself lol

AK-50
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
lol a bit much but at least hes coming back

Dol-Fan
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Totally agree. way too much for this guy, but his /36 numbers were around 12/10 last year and he's shown a lot of improvement around the basket (very soft hook shot) since working with Alex English. I think he could average 10/7 next year but I still thought a 4yr/16m deal was more reasonable.

Mplsman
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Wow.

Daze9900
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
lol the nba is going to turn into the nfl with the ******** salaries. Thank god for new collective bargaining agreement. This deal makes kwame brown worth 30 - 40 mil now. Darius Miles smelling a comeback lol.

ILMindState
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM
who?

jimbobjarree
07-01-2010, 09:42 PM
:laugh2:

BkOriginalOne
07-01-2010, 09:43 PM
He can't be worth that much.

mia305king
07-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Colangelo making Dumars look like a genius.

uknowmyname
07-01-2010, 09:53 PM

That's what I was thinking, same with Maxiel. I haven't watched Amir since the Pistons... but is he still leading the league in fouls per 48 min?

cubs0707
07-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Much agreed
u got the best sig ever

CB29
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
jeez ppl if you haven't watched him play then don't speak... he's 23 with 5 yrs nba experience... he did a great job for the raptors and even started for us at the end of the season scoring well and being a force defensively... if bosh leaves then he's most likely the starting power forward for the raptors.

ink
07-01-2010, 10:03 PM

His desire and athleticism is really impressive. I'm not too comfortable with the contract figure but Colangelo uncovered a gem in this guy last year and this year he made sure they retained him. I think they overpaid, and I'm concerned about the looming CBA problems too. Teams are going a bit nuts to protect their assets so far. I mean, Rudy Gay a max player???? You know what I mean.

ElMarroAfamado
07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
i think from now on people are going to exaggerate and say "this player got too much"
just because people kept on saying "people are going to get overpayed"

no matter what a player gets....
but eh its all part of the sports forum world

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2010, 10:05 PM
WOW ytf did we pay him so much?!?!?!?!?!? :facepalm: :facepalm:

Korman12
07-01-2010, 10:13 PM
You know, after this summer, I kinda hoped the NBA would finally understand the value of contracts after the giant rash of bad ones, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Gay getting the max, Johnson getting max deals thrown at him, Gooden and now Amir Johnson?

The NBA is amping the level of contract values at extremely disproportionate rates, and it doesn't look like it's anywhere near close to stopping.

Swashcuff
07-01-2010, 10:13 PM

dude Elton Brand's aint feeling that bad anymore

Focused1
07-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I Laughed till I choked @ Gooden's contract, like where was the rush of teams fighting for this guy. This is like his 11th team in his 8yr career. So now that I see this deal and I'm curious as to why Toronto likes to throw money at people so quick. Dude earned it hands down and I rather Amir over Gooden ANY DAY. BTW Gooden's contract stipulates he has to play for the Brewers in the off season to. LOL

BluejaysFan08
07-01-2010, 10:21 PM
As a raptors fan towards the end of the year when he began starting you could really see his potential. However this is a large contract for him, Brian Colangelo has no one else to give the money to, bye bosh.

Carey
07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I like Amir but come on Colangelo!? Who are u bidding against? Did you have to get an Amir deal done the first day?

KB24PG16
07-01-2010, 10:24 PM
to be honest ive never heard of him before :laugh2:

Kakaroach
07-01-2010, 10:28 PM
I like Amir but come on Colangelo!? Who are u bidding against? Did you have to get an Amir deal done the first day? Totally agree. I'm sure he would have never gotten that on the open market, they could have saved at least 10 million or so I'm guessing.

R_O_W_E
07-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Insanity.

When has Amir Johnson been worth $6 million per year? Name me 1 season or even 1 month.

I can only imagine how much some team will overpay for Tyrus Thomas right about now.

DaoudS
07-01-2010, 10:30 PM
How can anyone here judge the open market, let alone THIS YEARS open market. For ****s sake, Milicic got 20 million guaranteed. John Salmons contract is approaching 44 million and Gooden got a very similar deal to Amir Johnson. I am not saying he is underpaid or overpaid - it is not my right to judge what a man makes. It is a market for the players this offseason and he got what he likely would've gotten from someone else. Does 5 million less REALLY make that much of a difference? Is 5 years 29 million that much different?

bomber0104
07-01-2010, 10:34 PM
haha another comical contract by Colangelo..

that guy is gonna run this franchise down the drain

Focused1
07-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I like Amir but come on Colangelo!? Who are u bidding against? Did you have to get an Amir deal done the first day?

Co-sign. I like him but I think 4 Mill per @ 3 yrs should've been enough. This is the same reason why NO 1 wants Calderon cuz Colangelo gave him way too much money too quick.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I was thinking a 5 year 20-25 mil a year.

It better play off.

R_O_W_E
07-01-2010, 10:47 PM
How can anyone here judge the open market, let alone THIS YEARS open market. For ****s sake, Milicic got 20 million guaranteed. John Salmons contract is approaching 44 million and Gooden got a very similar deal to Amir Johnson. I am not saying he is underpaid or overpaid - it is not my right to judge what a man makes. It is a market for the players this offseason and he got what he likely would've gotten from someone else. Does 5 million less REALLY make that much of a difference? Is 5 years 29 million that much different?

Thats because its Amir ****ing Johnson.

If I posted his picture 3/4 of this forum wouldn't even recognize him. I dont even know how he plays, I know who he is but I have never seen or heard of him doing anything worth $6 million.

Those guys you mentioned have done something in their career. Johnson is a major gamble by BC hoping the contract looks like a major discount in a few years.

HandslikeCarter
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha and people said Darko's Contract is bad. WOW Raptors are dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

0nekhmer
07-01-2010, 10:49 PM
dude has an amazing work ethic, if you guys watched him at all this year even one game, he hustles on EVERY play. is a good rebounder for his size, and didn't get much minutes last season with bosh. I can really see Bosh leaving now that we have Amir and Ed Davis on the PF positon, and with amir's new contract, i'd hate to see ed davis rot with 5+ minutes

DaoudS
07-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Thats because its Amir ****ing Johnson.

If I posted his picture 3/4 of this forum wouldn't even recognize him. I dont even know how he plays, I know who he is but I have never seen or heard of him doing anything worth $6 million.

Those guys you mentioned have done something in their career. Johnson is a major gamble by BC hoping the contract looks like a major discount in a few years.

It is a gamble, but most contracts are. He is 23 years old, 4 year veteran of the league. Last every high school player drafted. He put up good numbers late last season while Bosh was down with an injury. He showed a bit of range on his jumper as well that he wasn't allowed to utilize IMO. High energy guy. On a ****ing pogo stick so he will get the rebounds that are 18 foot center can't seem to grab.

I can understand the thinking that he would get 4-5 million, that is what I thought as well. But obviously the free agency season is in the favor of the players. I said earlier that the Gooden deal would likely be the benchmark for him, and it was. Also, Frye just got 5 years, 30 million so I don't think Amir Johnson was THAT much overpaid when comparing the signing to others of today.

R_O_W_E
07-01-2010, 11:04 PM
It is a gamble, but most contracts are. He is 23 years old, 4 year veteran of the league. Last every high school player drafted. He put up good numbers late last season while Bosh was down with an injury. He showed a bit of range on his jumper as well that he wasn't allowed to utilize IMO. High energy guy. On a ****ing pogo stick so he will get the rebounds that are 18 foot center can't seem to grab.

I can understand the thinking that he would get 4-5 million, that is what I thought as well. But obviously the free agency season is in the favor of the players. I said earlier that the Gooden deal would likely be the benchmark for him, and it was. Also, Frye just got 5 years, 30 million so I don't think Amir Johnson was THAT much overpaid when comparing the signing to others of today.

Thats good and all but Amir hasnt accomplished enough to get paid like that.

Toronto should've let another team make that contract. Amir has too much expectations set for him.

DaoudS
07-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Thats good and all but Amir hasnt accomplished enough to get paid like that.

Toronto should've let another team make that contract. Amir has too much expectations set for him.

I don't think there are any expectations. I am thinking Toronto will be in the bottom 7 of the league. Let this "young gunz" formation play out for the next couple of seasons, stock up on picks and rebuild. I don't think 4 million over 5 years is that big of an over payment when comparing him to Frye (though they are polar opposites as players).

I am just looking at this signing from the perspective of what other FA are getting this offseason, not previous ones. I would've been estatic if he was signed for 4-4.5 million per year, but whatever.

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 11:10 PM
dude Elton Brand's aint feeling that bad anymore

Right because Elton brand is being paid twice that amount for the same production.

Dol-Fan
07-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Insanity.

When has Amir Johnson been worth $6 million per year? Name me 1 season or even 1 month.

I can only imagine how much some team will overpay for Tyrus Thomas right about now.

April 2010 - 8 GP

13.4 PPG
5.6 RPG
90% FT
77% FG

There, you asked for one month. :D

Jays Claw
07-01-2010, 11:37 PM
The Raptors gave him a little too much money. However, I like the fact that he's going to stay in Toronto. A young, talented and committed worker who will eventually break out to be a great player in this league.

mikey03
07-01-2010, 11:41 PM
i honestly feel so bad for toronto fans, bosh is leaving so they're trying to rationalize signing Amir ****in Johnson to a deal this big

Jays Claw
07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I blame Drew Gooden and his agent. If he hadn't received that $32 million deal, the Raptors could have kept Amir Johnson for a cheaper amount.

sargon21
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
what is with all these guys getting overpaid?

DaoudS
07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
what is with all these guys getting overpaid?

welcome to the world of athletes wanting to cash in before the new CBA agreement and potential lockout after next season.

hugepatsfan
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Wow! So much stupidity in the NBA. It's so funny to watch these teams make moves because you can see it all turning to ****.

pebloemer
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Easy to argue he's been overpaid, but with his age, effort, attitude and upside, I'm not too surprised by the deal. Frankly, I'd prefer Amir over the other overpaid bigs early this off-season (Darko, Frye, Gooden).

SugeKnight
07-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Who is he?:eyebrow:

He's a hustla, ask about him.

Gibby
07-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Im scared, BC better have a good idea what he is doing. honestly i can understand the Gooden ( he averaged 14/10 with LAC), Salmons (had a great run with the bucks), Milic ($5 M aint that when look at his 09/10) deals. but Amir's deal is crazy, he is not worth that much. i know he is played limited minutes most of the season but he was an energy guy i dont think his numbers will translate into per 36 mins stat line.

i also dont like the make up of the raptor team. BArgnani is natural PF who is making 10 Mill for a long period. amir is PF, not sure he is even a starter and making close to 7 Mill. and they also drafted Ed Davis who is another PF.

BC you better explain youself. where is the GM that built that suns team?

topdog
07-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Easy to argue he's been overpaid, but with his age, effort, attitude and upside, I'm not too surprised by the deal. Frankly, I'd prefer Amir over the other overpaid bigs early this off-season (Darko, Frye, Gooden).

How is Darko overpaid? If you look at NBA rosters, the only starting centers who have a contract lower than Darko's are those still on their rookie deals. No comparison.

Just because you like Amir, doesn't mean he's going to turn out. I think it's a lot more likely that a 25 year old former #2 pick shows to be worth 5M than a twenty-whatever former 2nd round pick? (I'd hope) suddenly proves to be more than just an athlete and worth 7M a year.

Ragun
07-02-2010, 12:33 AM
its not as bad as people think it is. johnson does more on the court than his stats show and has a very high potential. he improved in different aspects of his game as the season progressed.

he isnt worth the money right now but in a couple of years he could be well worth the money.

EdGein812
07-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Wow, indeed. Huge risk. Freakishly talented player. I hope the best for him. But wow. He's what? 5-6 years into the league and everone is still talking potential? I sure hope he fulfills it - I hated to see him leave Detroit.

But wow.

Ragun
07-02-2010, 12:51 AM
^^ he is only 23.

plpfctn
07-02-2010, 01:16 AM
amir johnson's agent is a genius. he better get a good christmas gift from johnson

HeirCanada
07-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha and people said Darko's Contract is bad. WOW Raptors are dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Darko is 2 years older and 500 years crazier than Amir. This deal will look awesome compared to Darko's once he goes insane and heads back to Serbia.

SA5195
07-02-2010, 01:51 AM
A little too much. But could be a bargain deal in the future, and could be a starter this season.

MaHaRaJaH
07-02-2010, 01:56 AM
i honestly feel so bad for toronto fans, bosh is leaving so they're trying to rationalize signing Amir ****in Johnson to a deal this big

We don't need your pity, thanks :rolleyes:

DerekRE_3
07-02-2010, 01:59 AM
So Amir is gonna make close to double what Carl Landry makes next year. Sounds fair.

DaoudS
07-02-2010, 02:04 AM
So Amir is gonna make close to double what Carl Landry makes next year. Sounds fair.

Carl Landry would be making 8 mil+ in this offseason.

gwrighter
07-02-2010, 02:05 AM
He wants to be here! I'm sure there was a bidding war for his services and toronto matched the offer's from other teams. He's an integral part of the chemistry/identity we have goin here in raptorland.

_KB24_
07-02-2010, 02:14 AM
This makes no sense whatsoever........... DJ Mbenga deserves that contract before Amir. :speechless:

The Raven
07-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Talk about being overpaid. Seems like teams are just throwing money out left and right to players who dont even deserve the offer they are getting. Props to Amir for getting that deal cos it doesnt seem like Toronto was thinking when they made that deal

Dol-Fan
07-02-2010, 02:52 AM
How is Darko overpaid? If you look at NBA rosters, the only starting centers who have a contract lower than Darko's are those still on their rookie deals. No comparison.

Just because you like Amir, doesn't mean he's going to turn out. I think it's a lot more likely that a 25 year old former #2 pick shows to be worth 5M than a twenty-whatever former 2nd round pick? (I'd hope) suddenly proves to be more than just an athlete and worth 7M a year.

LOL just because Darko starts on the T'Wolves doesn't make him a legitimate 'starting' C. Just so you know, they went 1-17 with him as their starting C last year.

oh, and try doing some research before you post anything. Or watch a Raptors game, Amir is 23 and quite a few of his points came off of hook shots last year, Alex English really helped him develop a low post game. His problem is still (sometimes severe) foul trouble, but he's definitely not just a raw athlete anymore.

ChiSox219
07-02-2010, 02:55 AM

Agreed. Amir already brings a lot to the table and is worth $4+ million. He's only going to get better and this deal will be great for Toronto in a few years.

This makes no sense whatsoever........... DJ Mbenga deserves that contract before Amir. :speechless:

:facepalm: Have you ever seen Amir Johnson play?

MaHaRaJaH
07-02-2010, 03:11 AM
oh, and try doing some research before you post anything. Or watch a Raptors game, Amir is 23 and quite a few of his points came off of hook shots last year, Alex English really helped him develop a low post game. His problem is still (sometimes severe) foul trouble, but he's definitely not just a raw athlete anymore.

That can be improved

theLgndKllr35
07-02-2010, 03:16 AM
I feel no need to put any thought into this post, just seemingly endless laughter will suffice.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MaHaRaJaH
07-02-2010, 03:20 AM
I feel no need to put any thought into this post, just seemingly endless laughter will suffice.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:rolleyes:

Shady66
07-02-2010, 03:34 AM
I really like Amir, but not for this amount haha. Very athletic, and runs the floor very well. His post game is in development but he is young and its getting better.

1hardcore
07-02-2010, 03:41 AM
what the hell has he done to warrant this ???

_KB24_
07-02-2010, 03:43 AM
Agreed. Amir already brings a lot to the table and is worth $4+ million. He's only going to get better and this deal will be great for Toronto in a few years.

:facepalm: Have you ever seen Amir Johnson play?

Yes, and he is no way in hell deserving of that contract. His offensive game is disgusting. I got a chance to watch him play twice this year live in person in Toronto when I went in winter to visit family. He sucks.

MaHaRaJaH
07-02-2010, 03:59 AM
what the hell has he done to warrant this ???
More than what you never seen.

Yes, and he is no way in hell deserving of that contract. His offensive game is disgusting. I got a chance to watch him play twice this year live in person in Toronto when I went in winter to visit family. He sucks.

Such a large sample...

ChiSox219
07-02-2010, 04:00 AM

Two games and at a time when Amir wasn't starting, so maybe you saw 40 minutes of him?

I'd rather spend 30 million on Amir than 100 million on Amare.

pebloemer
07-02-2010, 01:46 PM

It could definitely look good in a few years. One thing about Colangelo is that he gives contracts very quickly if he believes in a player. They don't always turn out right, but it keeps him in control of his assets - even if he lowers the value of those assets by overpaying them. Also, a Toronto franchise losing their franchise player doesn't give the GM opportunities to sign veterans for reduced prices. An unproven franchise will generally have to offer more money to entice talent. Anyone who watched Amir this year would see the improvement, hustle and work ethic that makes this deal what it is. Also, it appears the team isn't looking for a full rebuild (which they probably should do). I'm doubtful they'd have significant cap room without this deal anytime in the next 5 years anyways. And the MLSE is in no ways strapped for cash.