PDA

View Full Version : Sasha excited about possible increased duties at PG

kblo247
07-01-2010, 07:01 PM
link (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/07/sasha-vujacic-exciting-about-possible-increased-duties-at-point-guard.html)

Sasha Vujacic's eyes lit up. His smile widened. And his enthusiasm bubbled.

A reporter had asked him about the possibility he'd play more at point guard next season, what with the uncertainty regarding the future of Derek Fisher, Shannon Brown and Jordan Farmar, as well as Mitch Kupchak's contention that the team's back court is the biggest area of concern during the off-season. Though the Lakers' roster for 2010-2011 is far from complete, the mere chance that Vujacic would assume a greater role at point guard left him giddy and excited.

"I love it; I'm not going to lie to you," said Vujacic, who had also assumed more point guard duties with the Slovenian national team. "It's a big responsibility.... I'm up for the challenge."

Barring the Lakers not making any trade proposals involving Vujacic as they unsuccessfully tried last season, Vujacic doesn't have to worry much these days about free agency. He's taken time to relax, follow the World Cup and travel to Wimbledon to watch girlfriend Maria Sharapova, who was recently eliminated by top-seed Serena Williams. But with one year remaining on his contract worth $5.5 million, Vujacic clearly knows how important it is to ride the late-season success, including the two clutch free throws he made in Game 7 of the NBA Finals with 11.7 seconds remaining to secure the win and the title.
"It's no secret," Vujacic said of his contract status. "Not only for myself but I really want to do good for the team. The team wants it."

That includes the possibility that Vujacic assumes more duties at point guard, something that appeared unthinkable last season after his minutes (8.6) and points (2.Cool were nearly cut in half from a season ago. Each time his minutes and production picked up, he suffered an injury, including a right shoulder sprain on Feb. 19 against Boston and a left ankle sprain in the Lakers' season finale against the Clippers.

Each injury halted Vujacic's surge in production. Before his injury against Boston, Vujacic's minutes had picked up during Kobe Bryant's five-game absence because of a sprained left ankle. There was a clear increase in production in those games compared to his season average, including points (2.5 to 4.4), rebounds (1.1 to 2.0) and assists (0.6 to 1.Cool. Before his injury against the Clippers, Vujacic scored a season-high 13 points against Sacramento the previous night, prompting Lakers Coach Phil Jackson to suggest Vujacic would receive heavy minutes in the postseason. It provided a remarkable possibility, considering Vujacic essentially played himself out of the rotation two weeks earlier after arguing with assistant coaches during the Lakers' 91-75 loss to Oklahoma City.

Even though Vujacic returned in time for the Western Conference finals, Vujacic only played in three of the six games. He surely didn't help his cause when his scuffle with fellow Slovenian Goran Dragic nearly cost the Lakers' Game 6 in the West Finals matchup against Phoenix, prompting Bryant to suggest he wanted to kill Vujacic. But those ill feelings all went away once Vujacic made two free throws to clinch Game 7 against Boston, a moment that caused Bryant and Vujacic to embrace each other. That moment also validated in Vujacic's mind why Jackson remained tough on him all season, and proof that he can prevail when given an opportunity. That includes assuming more time at point guard, which could spur success given that Vujacic plays more within the offense and is composed when he doesn't feel he has to jam a game's worth of production into limited minutes.

"Coach made me better throughout the year," Vujacic said. "Sometimes when you don't play, you get pulled out, whatever happens, it's that mental training that PJ does with all the players. I'm glad I kind of passed the test. He gave me that confidence in the most crucial game, not only when the game was on the line but the entire series, the season, he showed me confidence. He puts me in the game like that, that shows a lot."

--Mark Medina

I like the idea of Sasha getting more guaranteed minutes to be in rhythm by any means possible. He is a better PG option than Watson or any of those guys not named Blake so if the price isn't right for Steve, use him there and move on to a wing player to rest Kobe and Ron.

lakers4sho
07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Sasha, before you jizz your pants over the idea of being a PG, what about working on that 3 point shot of yours first? :nod:

Avenged
07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
PG off the bench. :)

Not as a starter, please.

lakers4sho
07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
PG off the bench. :)

Not as a starter, please.

Definitely not a starter.

Phil loves Derek too much, it'll hurt his feelings.

truplayer199
07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Definitely not a fan of Sasha starting. Lets hope he's not our starting PG.

KillaInstinct24
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
oh lord .......... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: thats what we need, a guy who makes bonehead plays and silly fouls to be our backup PG. and some of u guys are against bringing back farmar. yeah i dont want farmar either, but he's CP3 reborn compared to sasha

kblo247
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
oh lord .......... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: thats what we need, a guy who makes bonehead plays and silly fouls to be our backup PG. and some of u guys are against bringing back farmar. yeah i dont want farmar either, but he's CP3 reborn compared to sasha

Yeah because Jordan initiates the triangle better, turns the ball over less, defends better, and tries as hard to fight through picks and rebound ... oh wait :eyebrow:

banglawiz
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Is it true as says in the article that he is dating Maria Sherapova?

numba1CHANGsta
07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
no thanks, trade em'

lakers4sho
07-01-2010, 09:18 PM

yep

ripjhb18
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah because Jordan initiates the triangle better, turns the ball over less, defends better, and tries as hard to fight through picks and rebound ... oh wait :eyebrow:
Ya, Jordan tore it up in the triangle. He did so well in it the Lakers didn't even extend a QO.

Yes, he has been for awhile now.

KillaInstinct24
07-01-2010, 09:31 PM

ok smart aleck lol, u act as if i said farmar IS CP3 reborn, i said he IS COMPARED TO SASHA!!!!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: good lord, am i speaking in english? sasha almost cost us a playoff game...farmar never has done something that BONEHEADED. all im saying is if you have to pick the lesser evil, its farmar

Avenged
07-01-2010, 09:38 PM
ok smart aleck lol, u act as if i said farmar IS CP3 reborn, i said he IS COMPARED TO SASHA!!!!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: good lord, am i speaking in english? sasha almost cost us a playoff game...farmar never has done something that BONEHEADED. all im saying is if you have to pick the lesser evil, its farmar

Sasha sealed the deal in game 7 with his clutch free throws against the Celtics.

Team basketball, that's how the Lakers have won back to back championships.

COBY KARL
07-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Sasha at the 1 backup = possibly more minutes with Kobe and Pau which = more double teams which = More open looks for Sasha = Machine from 08'. Oh and it is contract yr for him

KillaInstinct24
07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Sasha sealed the deal in game 7 with his clutch free throws against the Celtics.

Team basketball, that's how the Lakers have won back to back championships.

that helped us, i dont know about sealing the deal. i think ron's 3 right after ray allen hit one, was a tad more important. but whatever, its a forum, we all have opinions lol. besides ur defending his bonehead play by saying he made up for it. well farmar hasnt done something so significantly bad that it made us lose or give up a huge lead/momentum shift...even if he hasnt done SO much to help either lol

Avenged
07-01-2010, 09:55 PM
that helped us, i dont know about sealing the deal. i think ron's 3 right after ray allen hit one, was a tad more important. but whatever, its a forum, we all have opinions lol. besides ur defending his bonehead play by saying he made up for it. well farmar hasnt done something so significantly bad that it made us lose or give up a huge lead/momentum shift...even if he hasnt done SO much to help either lol

What im trying to say is, both of them are bench players who have bench talent. They came up when they had to but make mistakes like every bench guy does.

I'm actually one of the very few fans on here from what I can tell of Farmar, I think the 1 year deal rumored would have been great as it would have given him another chance to prove himself. All of that is in the past now and he's headed somewhere else (most likely) so giving Sasha an opportunity wouldn't hurt, as long as he isn't starting. He's run the point before but I'd much rather acquire a free agent PG to run the bench.

With all that said though, the Lakers asked him to prepare for it, which by the looks of it, he is/will. Hopefully he can improve his PG skills come the next season.

KillaInstinct24
07-01-2010, 10:02 PM
What im trying to say is, both of them are bench players who have bench talent. They came up when they had to but make mistakes like every bench guy does.

I'm actually one of the very few fans on here from what I can tell of Farmar, I think the 1 year deal rumored would have been great as it would have given him another chance to prove himself. All of that is in the past now and he's headed somewhere else (most likely) so giving Sasha an opportunity wouldn't hurt, as long as he isn't starting. He's run the point before but I'd much rather acquire a free agent PG to run the bench.

With all that said though, the Lakers asked him to prepare for it, which by the looks of it, he is/will. Hopefully he can improve his PG skills come the next season.

well said. i guess im just on the "trade sashas expiring" bandwagon and i dont wanna see him in p&g anymore lol

ripjhb18
07-01-2010, 10:47 PM

Hardly.

lakers4sho
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
With Mike Miller about to accept the deal (he'd be stupid not to), I guess Sasha will be our back point guard.

New Power House
07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
If Miller's rumors becomes reality,then Sasha's contract is a trade able asset along with another big contract at the sf. Puke is the last of the bags from the past bench warmers.I hope! Miller and Ebanks will help Artest and Miller can even cover Kobe's post at time along with T Mac if he becomes a member. Miller,T Mac and Blake then there is no way that the Lakers will win it again next year.
Bynum
Gasol
Artest
Kobe
Fish or Blake
Bench
Crittenton
Brown or another Pg
Puke maybe leaving
Sasha maybe leaving
T Mac
Miller
Ebanks
Caracter
Odom
Mbenga or another big

Aust
07-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Seriously... I like the idea of Sasha coming off the bench. He can shoot the three, and shows some tenacious D, good free throw shooter. Sure he'll pick up those tick tack fouls, but that's Sasha, you have to take both the good and the bad of your players.

New Power House
07-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Sasha,
You should be worry instead. Your contract will be moved if the Lakers have to find a better PG and they get Miller and T Mac. I wish that Puke was the one with one year left,but unfortunately is you. Odom is another player that should be worry,because Buss maybe is thinking to bring more consistency with perhaps less versatility and move that cash more evenly among the bench players. Odom is too expensive to come out off the bench and being the knucklehead that he is most of the time,particularly,around the perimeter when defending that zone.

Iceman_9
07-02-2010, 12:21 AM
can he play defense against quick PGs?

New Power House
07-02-2010, 12:22 AM
With Mike Miller about to accept the deal (he'd be stupid not to), I guess Sasha will be our back point guard.

I hope that your statement becomes reality in terms of Miller signing with us.:D

PLAYERS FAN
07-02-2010, 12:26 AM
link (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/07/sasha-vujacic-exciting-about-possible-increased-duties-at-point-guard.html)

I like the idea of Sasha getting more guaranteed minutes to be in rhythm by any means possible. He is a better PG option than Watson or any of those guys not named Blake so if the price isn't right for Steve, use him there and move on to a wing player to rest Kobe and Ron.

I think he Sasha can be a better point guard than Tony Allen:nod:

PGLakers
07-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Sasha,
You should be worry instead. Your contract will be moved if the Lakers have to find a better PG and they get Miller and T Mac. I wish that Puke was the one with one year left,but unfortunately is you. Odom is another player that should be worry,because Buss maybe is thinking to bring more consistency with perhaps less versatility and move that cash more evenly among the bench players. Odom is too expensive to come out off the bench and being the knucklehead that he is most of the time,particularly,around the perimeter when defending that zone.

i am freaking sick of odom too...if i was the owner i would want to do something abt that as well...i wish nba had some sort of contract deals where if u play like knucklehead...u get paid like knucklehead...lakers would be in heaven right now since we had morrison, luke, sasha, odom...wow. i was joking with my friend today...how did we manage to win with such ridiculous bench?? lol

Tymathee
07-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Ya, Jordan tore it up in the triangle. He did so well in it the Lakers didn't even extend a QO.

Yes, he has been for awhile now.

why did you copy my signature...

The Raven
07-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Im all for giving sasha more minutes and all but definitely not a starter. If i were him, id be working my *** off this off season to work on that shot to get it back to what it was a few years ago. If he can be a little more consistent in his shot, im all for giving him more minutes since he has proven that when he is on, watch out but, it seems too far in between bad ones

deadman8586
07-02-2010, 04:56 AM
If Miller's rumors becomes reality,then Sasha's contract is a trade able asset along with another big contract at the sf. Puke is the last of the bags from the past bench warmers.I hope! Miller and Ebanks will help Artest and Miller can even cover Kobe's post at time along with T Mac if he becomes a member. Miller,T Mac and Blake then there is no way that the Lakers will win it again next year.
Bynum
Gasol
Artest
Kobe
Fish or Blake
Bench
Crittenton
Brown or another Pg
Puke maybe leaving
Sasha maybe leaving
T Mac
Miller
Ebanks
Caracter
Odom
Mbenga or another big

If we get Miller then kiss Blake and T-Mac good-bye.

deadman8586
07-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Sasha,

I doubt it on both conuts.

JUICE46
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
damn i didnt know sasha was dating sharapova haha sashas doing work OFF the court haha