PDA

View Full Version : This offseason could quickly become the most disappointing thing in NBA history

Boston Faithful
07-01-2010, 03:20 PM
All the hype, all the news, all the talk.

Just to have people re-sign?

If LeBron, Wade, the C's players, Dirk all re-up with their team - it would be a huge hit towards the NBA.

Johnson and Gay already re-signed. I really hope the others don't. For the sake of the NBA (and for my team) I hope they don't get back Pierce and Allen, but who knows?

They need to restructure the way the league works. Their current team shouldn't hold that one year advantage over everyone else. If a player really wanted to be with one team, they would. If they had the same offer between the current team and another team, their loyalty would obviously bleed through. If they left, then that sucks for the current team, but obviously they didn't do enough to sign him. They should never be able to sway him with extra cash. It should be about basketball.

Basically, what the NBA has allowed owners to do is sit there and do nothing and refuse to trade their expiring contract star aka Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudemire at the trade deadline. Now, they're on the verge of going for nothing and the owners are complaining. Then the have the luxury of throwing this ridiculous contract at them. Newsflash, trade your star and get something for it. It's so stupid the owners and teams have the luxury of not trading their players when they should (like Amare for years) and then pull this crap.

ripjhb18
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Why shouldn't the current team get some kind of an advantage?

arkanian215
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM

If LeBron, Wade, the C's players, Dirk all re-up with their team - it would be a huge hit towards the NBA.

Johnson and Gay already re-signed. I really hope the others don't. For the sake of the NBA (and for my team) I hope they don't get back Pierce and Allen, but who knows?

They need to restructure the way the league works. Their current team shouldn't hold that one year advantage over everyone else.

Why?

AllTimeBest
07-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I said this awhile ago. This is going to be one of the most disappointing two months in major league sports history.

abe_froman
07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Why?

i think he was hoping for alot of player movement,everyone would switch teams,ect.

but i disagree.they're team should keep the advantage

JordansBulls
07-01-2010, 03:31 PM

They need to restructure the way the league works. Their current team shouldn't hold that one year advantage over everyone else. If a player really wanted to be with one team, they would. If they had the same offer between the current team and another team, their loyalty would obviously bleed through. If they left, then that sucks for the current team, but obviously they didn't do enough to sign him. They should never be able to sway him with extra cash. It should be about basketball.

I honestly think these guys are getting max deals so that they can be traded to another team so that the original team can get some guys back. The Hawks don't really want Joe Johnson, they just don't want to lose him for nothing. I can easily see them accepting a Luol Deng and Taj Gibson package for Joe Johnson.

ink
07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I would love to see Free Agency 2010 flop completely. For anyone who actually likes BASKETBALL and not hype, that would be the perfect outcome.

Lebron should have the dignity to keep it zipped and turn his team into a champion. Jordan started out with a pretty weak franchise and worked hard until they became champions. If LBJ really wants to be the greatest ever he is not going to do it by arranging a stacked team in Miami or wherever.

Same goes for all of these supposedly great players. Stay where you are and compete. And this is not because I want a player like Bosh to stay. I actually want the Raptors to rebuild without him. I just don't buy into the free agency hype in any way.

So, Boston Faithful, if the team that has the player has the advantage, then the rule is doing exactly what it SHOULD be doing.

Tony_Starks
07-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Disappointing to who? The teams that were trying to buy a championship? I don't think its disappointing to the home team fans that have been following these guys for years. Thats why the home team has the advantage its for the fans and the organization.

Im glad most of these guys are re-signing because maybe now teams will think twice before implementing the "lets suck for a few years and just buy a good team" plan.

Tony_Starks
07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I would love to see Free Agency 2010 flop completely. For anyone who actually likes BASKETBALL and not hype, that would be the perfect outcome.

Lebron should have the dignity to keep it zipped and turn his team into a champion. Jordan started out with a pretty weak franchise and worked hard until they became champions. If LBJ really wants to be the greatest ever he is not going to do it by arranging a stacked team in Miami or wherever.

Same goes for all of these supposedly great players. Stay where you are and compete. And this is not because I want a player like Bosh to stay. I actually want the Raptors to rebuild without him. I just don't buy into the free agency hype in any way.

So, Boston Faithful, if the team that has the player has the advantage, then the rule is doing exactly what it SHOULD be doing.

Amen sir!

Anything besides that is just sour grapes from people that wanted these guys on their team.

abe_froman
07-01-2010, 03:40 PM
one guys re-signs and everyone freaks out :laugh:

Draco
07-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Organizations trade for players to put them over the top so why shouldn't players change teams to give them the best possible chance of winning a title. This post seems like sour grapes to me. I understand your rant in the Raptor forum about the possibility of 3 elite FAs colluding to join a single team. But one or two, that's not out of the ordinary. Shaq going to the Lakers, Pau going to Lakers, Garnett and Allen going to the Celtics didn't receive this much criticism.

Boston Faithful
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Disappointing to who? The teams that were trying to buy a championship? I don't think its disappointing to the home team fans that have been following these guys for years. Thats why the home team has the advantage its for the fans and the organization.

Im glad most of these guys are re-signing because maybe now teams will think twice before implementing the "lets suck for a few years and just buy a good team" plan.

Quite like the Lakers from 04-07?

You want teams to build championships, that's what you're saying?

Right, not every team gets Pau Gasol handed to them for a big pile of nothing.

And not every team can get an All-Star caliber player in Ron Artest to sign for a paltry mid level contract.

Right, that's not buying you're team at all.

S-Dot
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I honestly think these guys are getting max deals so that they can be traded to another team so that the original team can get some guys back. The Hawks don't really want Joe Johnson, they just don't want to lose him for nothing. I can easily see them accepting a Luol Deng and Taj Gibson package for Joe Johnson.

interesting point. never thought of that. Dallas was looking at a S&T too. We'll see...

Draco
07-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Anyone place an order for a Lebron Bulls jersey before NBA.com took it down? ;)

ink
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Organizations trade for players to put them over the top so why shouldn't players change teams to give them the best possible chance of winning a title. This post seems like sour grapes to me. I understand your rant in the Raptor forum about the possibility of 3 elite FAs colluding to join a single team. But one or two, that's not out of the ordinary. Shaq going to the Lakers, Pau going to Lakers, Garnett and Allen going to the Celtics didn't receive this much criticism.

I understand that players want to change teams and I'm fine with that. I'm just tired of the endless hype we've had to live through over the past few years in the NBA. I have to admit I was really disgusted during the playoffs when the "where will the KING go" hype overshadowed the actual games!! :laugh2: We have totally lost any sense of perspective in the sport. I am really tired of the egos and the "instant champion" thinking.

And to be completely clear about our own FA, I have no bad feelings about Bosh or about Bosh leaving. He gave 7 great years to his franchise, and because of his limitations as a franchise player I am OK with him leaving. If he goes to Chicago, for example, and has success that will be fine. He has earned this free agency.

KB24PG16
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
lebron wont resign
bosh wont resign
plenty of change in the nba

lakers4sho
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
And not every team can get an All-Star caliber player in Ron Artest to sign for a paltry mid level contract.

It's funny how when the Lakers signed Artest, the tune of everyone (non-Laker fans) was "Artest is nothing more than a role player", "He's washed up", "He can't keep up with guys in the league".

Now that the Lakers became champions, he suddenly jumped to an "All-Star caliber" level.

I just find that interesting.

ink
07-01-2010, 03:51 PM

This is exactly why I think more highly of the Spurs dynasty than either the Celtics or the Lakers this decade. The Spurs built their team from the ground up. All they ever did was add role players from other teams. Their core was entirely developed from within.

S-Dot
07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
It's funny how when the Lakers signed Artest, the tune of everyone (non-Laker fans) was "Artest is nothing more than a role player", "He's washed up", "He can't keep up with guys in the league".

Now that the Lakers became champions, he suddenly jumped to an "All-Star caliber" level.

I just find that interesting.

he was always a all-star caliber player. I think more people were actually surprised he signed to the MLE last summer. I can't remember anyone saying he was washed up. I think the concensus was that he was an absolute steal for that price.

ink
07-01-2010, 03:55 PM
he was always a all-star caliber player. I think more people were actually surprised he signed to the MLE last summer. I can't remember anyone saying he was washed up. I think the concensus was that he was an absolute steal for that price.

+1

But I can understand what Artest did. He wanted to win a ring and he signed with the team he thought would do that. He's near the end of his career and that championship did a lot for his own self-worth after a very controversial career. I have a lot of respect for the growth Artest has gone through as a person.

Back to the topic, seeing this over-hyped FA period go bust would be fantastic. Just dreaming here, but maybe it would mean that the bloated egos will shut up for a while and do what they're paid to do: play basketball and compete for a championship.

Boston Faithful
07-01-2010, 03:55 PM
This is exactly why I think more highly of the Spurs dynasty than either the Celtics or the Lakers this decade. The Spurs built their team from the ground up. All they ever did was add role players from other teams. Their core was entirely developed from within.

Yet the Celtics and Lakers teams brought the ratings, while the Spurs teams got the lowest ratings and worst point for the NBA in it's history.

ARMIN12NBA
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM

1. In your description, I don't see anywhere in which the Lakers sucked for years just to dump salary and buy free agents.

2. The Lakers did not give up a big pile of nothing. They gave Memphis Marc Gasol (promising young player who is already a good player in the league), cap space (extremely important for Memphis), and draft picks.

3. All-Star caliber player? Everybody, including PSD and analysts, said he lost a step defensively and was a headcase. The Lakers took a risk, provided a good environment, and Artest was dominant defensively and was huge in Game 7.

4. The Lakers didn't buy their team. Bynum and Fisher were Laker draft picks. Kobe has been with the Lakers for 14 years and the Lakers traded a proven veteran for his draft rights way back when. Pau Gasol was netted in a trade. Ron Artest was a gamble of a sign and the year before, Trevor Ariza was had because the Lakers traded Brian Cook for him. The bench consists of Farmar, Vujacic, Walton all of whom were drafted by the Lakers. Lamar Odom was acquired by trade. The only players the Lakers "bought" were Artest, Powell, and Mbenga. :eyebrow:

J4KOP99
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I still think Wade might leave if they aren't able to bring anyone in. There will be at least one huge surprise in the next few days.

ink
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Yet the Celtics and Lakers teams brought the ratings, while the Spurs teams got the lowest ratings and worst point for the NBA in it's history.

That's because casual fans buy into hype. When TV ratings grow like that we know it's not a diehard fanbase that is suddenly interested. We know it's the casual fan who just read a headline about the famous franchises and the famous players. So ratings only re-inforces my point about hype being a nuisance.

I'm not saying that the sport shouldn't have wide popularity. I am saying though that the hype should NOT take over the league like it has done this decade, and especially now with this ridiculous free agency. Frankly, I don't care where Lebron plays any more than I got worked up about whether Kobe stayed with the Lakers a few years ago, or whether Shaq went to Miami. Couldn't care less. Give me basketball, not press conferences.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Basically, what the NBA has allowed owners to do is sit there and do nothing and refuse to trade their expiring contract star aka Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudemire at the trade deadline. Now, they're on the verge of going for nothing and the owners are complaining. Then the have the luxury of throwing this ridiculous contract at them. Newsflash, trade your star and get something for it. It's so stupid the owners and teams have the luxury of not trading their players when they should (like Amare for years) and then pull this crap.

your the ones hypin it up... you don't need to listen to all the speculation... ur disapointing urself,.

ink
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
1. In your description, I don't see anywhere in which the Lakers sucked for years just to dump salary and buy free agents.

2. The Lakers did not give up a big pile of nothing. They gave Memphis Marc Gasol (promising young player who is already a good player in the league), cap space (extremely important for Memphis), and draft picks.

3. All-Star caliber player? Everybody, including PSD and analysts, said he lost a step defensively and was a headcase. The Lakers took a risk, provided a good environment, and Artest was dominant defensively and was huge in Game 7.

4. The Lakers didn't buy their team. Bynum and Fisher were Laker draft picks. Kobe has been with the Lakers for 14 years and the Lakers traded a proven veteran for his draft rights way back when. Pau Gasol was netted in a trade. Ron Artest was a gamble of a sign and the year before, Trevor Ariza was had because the Lakers traded Brian Cook for him. The bench consists of Farmar, Vujacic, Walton all of whom were drafted by the Lakers. Lamar Odom was acquired by trade. The only players the Lakers "bought" were Artest, Powell, and Mbenga. :eyebrow:

Please don't turn this into a Lakers thread. It's about this year's free agency.

Tony_Starks
07-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Thank you sir! I thought I was the only one that recalled when we got Artest everyone was laughing at the Lakers saying how bad that they screwed up and that Artest was a cancer and a loser, washed up and blah blah blah blah.... now he's this great allstar right?

Then when they lost in '08 Gasol was supposedly this "soft" player and Lakers would never win with him and blah blah blah blah... now he's turned into like the best big in the game all the sudden right?

You guys have to really make up your minds.

*Silver&Black*
HAHAHAHA to the crying babies who don't want the player's teams to keep their players. HATERS.:facepalm: You all just wanted to see some shake-up and listened to all of these "insiders" and became zombies off of it. Shouldn't listen to rumors.

ARMIN12NBA

It's not like they tanked an entire season to have a chance at the #1 pick. . .

Also, when did it become a sin to trade or acquire free agents? If it were, then wouldn't they be outlawed? They are completely fine ways to build teams. Some of the greatest teams ever were built through trades. The 60s Celtics were so great because of the trade that got them Bill Russel. The 72 Lakers traded for Wilt Chamberlain. The 80s Lakers traded for Kareem and Byron Scott. The 80s Celtics traded for McHale and Parish. The 90s Bulls traded for Pippen. The 00s Lakers signed Shaq and traded for Kobe.

Why is it a black mark to you for a team to acquire players through trade?

J4KOP99
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Also, when did it become a sin to trade or acquire free agents? If it were, then wouldn't they be outlawed? They are completely fine ways to build teams. Some of the greatest teams ever were built through trades. The 60s Celtics were so great because of the trade that got them Bill Russel. The 72 Lakers traded for Wilt Chamberlain. The 80s Lakers traded for Kareem and Byron Scott. The 80s Celtics traded for McHale and Parish. The 90s Bulls traded for Pippen. The 00s Lakers signed Shaq and traded for Kobe.

Yeah, completely agree. Basketball, unlike Baseball, does not have a farm system where you can build your players up until they are ready to make it on the court. In the NBA, you need free agency and the ability to trade so you can build your team. It shouldn't be looked down upon.

JordansBulls
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Correction: Bulls traded for Pippen on draft night, when he wasn't anywhere near a star. Same for the Lakers in Kobe.

In this case for this year's free agency we are simply talking about guys who are #1 or #2 options on teams as we speak right now.

Rivera
07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
this is what happens when u feed into the hype that ESPN feeds u

they got a bunch of false reports and tried to say they were true

especially when u listen to dumbass chris broussard who knows nothing

he said in the beginin of the week chicago was the frontrunner for lebron

then on tuesday he said theres no way lebron wont sign with miami

then on wednesday he said hes going to stay with cleveland bc all the teams have to prove themselves and lebron doesnt wanna leave home

this dudes a clow and if these teams are not allowed to talk 2 the players u cant confirm nothin their just speculating and daydreaming like we are

Hellcrooner
07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
no they shouldnt have the xtra year and more money.

teams do already have too many leverage to retain players aftr they draft him with resgricted free afenciy and all kind of restrictions to have them need to keep on the team with unilaterla options.

each day it passes im more convinced all the drft and salary cap **** sand rules serves for NOTHING when you can get jamison fro nothing + a player tht is back to you 10 days adfter.

in the ned more diffret teams have won soccer champions league in the last 30 years than differnt nba teqms have won a ring.

and that withouth any **** just free market.

Down with all the ****!!!! free market NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

sep11ie
07-01-2010, 04:08 PM
So I guess you'd rather have The Yankees of basketball? I like watching competitive games and series. I don't want to know the outcome of a season in July myself.

RaiderLakersA's
07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Back to the topic, seeing this over-hyped FA period go bust would be fantastic. Just dreaming here, but maybe it would mean that the bloated egos will shut up for a while and do what they're paid to do: play basketball and compete for a championship.

I think it's safe to say that some of those "bloated egos" have already made it impossible to see competing for a championship as an acceptable measure of success. Some of them have to win it all, or else they'll be perceived as a complete failure. Get your popcorn ready...because there are going to be some FA's that will come up short of a title next season. Imagine the fallout. :bang:

ink
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I think it's safe to say that some of those "bloated egos" have already made it impossible to see competing for a championship as an acceptable measure of success. Some of them have to win it all, or else they'll be perceived as a complete failure. Get your popcorn ready...because there are going to be some FA's that will come up short of a title next season. Imagine the fallout. :bang:

There will definitely be some free agency hangovers next year. Pity the teams that go all in just to show their fanbase that they have the clout to buy a championship. NBA history shows that it just isn't that easy. A Raptors fan pointed out last week that the only top FA acquisition that ever ended up winning a championship was Shaq.

lakerssssssss
07-01-2010, 05:55 PM

completely agree

lakerssssssss
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM

not every team gets handed ray allen and kevin garnett

Tony_Starks
07-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Just because the media speculates everyday about someone coming to your team doesn't make it true. Just because fans sit and dream up fantasy lineups of their team for a few years doesn't mean their dreams will become reality.

At the end of the day the home teams have always held the advantage. People just got so blinded by their unrealistic belief that someone just HAD to come to their particular city that they ignored it.

Its funny how people are actually getting mad now like any of these free agents were promised to them in the first place...

numba1CHANGsta
07-01-2010, 06:14 PM
I guess now a days its all about the mulah and max years and not wanting to win a championship, oh well more for Kobe :)

Mudvayne91
07-01-2010, 06:15 PM
i'd be happy if everyone resigned or at least nearly everyone. I hope James goes somewhere besides Cleveland though. Any city that makes the song "We are Lebron" deserves to lose him.

Da Knicks
07-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Didnt all these teams suck in order to get these players in the first place?:facepalm:

Da Knicks
07-01-2010, 06:26 PM
So I guess you'd rather have The Yankees of basketball? I like watching competitive games and series. I don't want to know the outcome of a season in July myself.

Yankees of basketball is the Lakers! funny guy:rolleyes:

ink
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Just because the media speculates everyday about someone coming to your team doesn't make it true. Just because fans sit and dream up fantasy lineups of their team for a few years doesn't mean their dreams will become reality.

At the end of the day the home teams have always held the advantage. People just got so blinded by their unrealistic belief that someone just HAD to come to their particular city that they ignored it.

Its funny how people are actually getting mad now like any of these free agents were promised to them in the first place...

:nod:

omdigga
07-01-2010, 06:42 PM
i like the idea of players staying with one team... all these guys talk about is legacy.. what happened to loyalty..

mikantsass
07-01-2010, 07:03 PM
not every team gets handed ray allen and kevin garnett

At least they had to actually GIVE PLAYERS IN RETURN. Can you same the same about Gasoft?

Kakaroach
07-01-2010, 07:05 PM
This off-season won't be a disappointment if Bosh and Amare leave, which is all but guaranteed. And thats not even everyone else.

magichatnumber9
07-01-2010, 07:16 PM
We should be used to this by now

FarOutIos
07-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Let's update the look of how things are going.

Gay and Johnson have resigned. Those were two major talked about pieces.

I think that Wade will likely stay. Paul Pierce will do the same.

So that leaves the major pieces as Lebron, Bosh, Boozer, Amare and Dirk.

With NJ, NY and Miami all wanting at least one of these players. Chicago as well. And Dallas would want something.

If we add up the totals: 2 for NY. 1 for NJ. 2 for Miami. 1 for Chicago. 1 for Dallas. Thats 7 positions to be filled by 5 players. So in my estimation, either 2 teams will end up a player short, or 1 team will end up 2 players short.

If NY or Miami end up 2 players short, that means Wade would be all alone in Miami. Or NY will just end up signing Lee and NOTHING else.

I am baffled to see who will end up filling the roster spots for some of these team.

I guess Jefferson isn't as dumb as everyone thinks. The FA list is big man heavy, so he will be the replacement for teams who had hoped to get lucky in the Lebron and Gay backup plan.

Also, I think this increases the likelihood that Melo is traded.

danielleighgill
07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
The NBA should get rid of the extra year and salary teams can offer their own players and replace it with a franchise tagging system like the NFL uses. This allows players to switch teams without leaving money on the table, but also allows a chance for the teams that draft well to receive some sort of compensation when high tier players decide they want to leave.

The Raven
07-02-2010, 05:00 AM
If the majority of the available big time players do stay with their teams, it would be a big waste of time. All the debate and discussion all for nothing. Thats why im hoping they come to a decision soon so we can get this crap over with. Frankly day 1 was a but of a let down so hopefully things pick up on fri into next week with some big time moves

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Bosh will def leave Toronto...and I truly believe Amare will leave PHO too.

Wade will stay in MIA...and JJ is staying in the ATL.

It all depends of Lebron...what he does will decide if this FA fiasco was a waste of time or not.

I personally hope Lebron stays in Cleveland...All those teams that were freeing up their cap space would be royally screwed...and it would make me laugh a lot.

There could potentially be a lot of changed sigs here at PSD.