PDA

View Full Version : Utley to undergo Thumb Surgery; Out 4-6 weeks

doyerfan59
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Ouch, sucks for the Phils

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/07/utley_will_have_surgery_today.html

Utley Will Have Surgery Today
Chase Utley will have surgery today in New York to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb, according to a source.

Utley injured his thumb Monday, sliding head first into second base in the fourth inning against the Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ball Park. Utley remained in the game until he could not grip his bat before a ninth-inning at-bat.

The source said it is unknown how long Utley will be out, but MLB.com's Peter Gammons said it will be four to six weeks. Utley had hit .367 with one home run and 11 RBIs in his last 13 games. It's a big blow for the Phillies, but not unexpected. Teammates had said over the past couple days that they expected Utley to miss a significant period of time. If Gammons' timetable is accurate, Utley could be back anywhere from early to mid-August.

Of course, Utley does a good job of coming back from injuries. Utley broke his right wrist in July 2007. He had surgery July 27 with the original timetable to return three to four weeks. He returned Aug. 28. Utley had hip surgery following the 2008 season, with the orginal timetable to return four to six months. He had the surgery Nov. 24, which meant he might not have been back until late May 2009. Utley was ready by Opening Day.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2010, 02:49 PM

More-Than-Most
07-01-2010, 02:49 PM
jkhdjkasfhkfbshkdf ****

nymetsrule
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Say hello to 3rd place in the division, Philly.

Pittz
07-01-2010, 03:22 PM
They weren't the favorites with him either. Where Eric Hinske goes, the World Series follows.

Sucks though

Hm... Wrong Utley thread lol

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
good news for braves and mets fans

Zmaster52
07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
:clap:

Jbendz
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Piss ****ing poor.

TheRuckus
07-01-2010, 04:05 PM

I mean, I know you can't beat us when we're at full strength, but really?

Stay classy.

Mell413
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Maybe the Phillies would take Theriot from us.

Dark Donnie
07-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Yeah...karma will get you:clap:

nymetsrule
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Stay classy.

He was clapping for a thumb injury, not terminal cancer. I couldn't care less in what shape your team is, winning is winning is winning...and that is what the Mets are doing! :clap:

Twitchy
07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
At least Amaro got quality backups in the event that an infielder was injured....oh wait.

brave/cuban
07-01-2010, 04:35 PM

THAT IS NOT FUNNY. DO YOU LIKE IS REYES GO TO THE DL AGAING.:mad:

agoody117
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
sportscenter just said it is 8 weeks...

northsider
07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Sucks for the Phillies and sucks for baseball for a top if not the top 2b to be out for so long.

nymetsrule
07-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Sucks for the Phillies and sucks for baseball for a top if not the top 2b to be out for so long.

It is good for every team that the Phils play...not bad.

northsider
07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
It is good for every team that the Phils play...not bad.

Well of course it is I just think it sucks for baseball when a top player like that has to miss time.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2010, 10:01 PM

This may be true,,, its hard to win the division when your never healthy... The mets when healthy still cant win the division... So that's something to take solace in.

Bubba17
07-01-2010, 10:05 PM
You guys are real classy..

:rolleyes:

Shadee
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Sucks Utley is one of my more fav players in the league hopefully he isn't out for the whole season.

Tragedy
07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Well of course it is I just think it sucks for baseball when a top player like that has to miss time.
I agree. For other teams they play, it's good. But man, what a blow. Utley is a great all around player. Hope he gets right back to hitting when he returns to The Show.

nymetsrule
07-02-2010, 01:18 PM
This may be true,,, its hard to win the division when your never healthy... The mets when healthy still cant win the division... So that's something to take solace in.

Yes they can, they did it in 2006. I didn't know that 3 years was that long of a time, Mr. More-Than-Most. :shrug:

WoodandNails
07-02-2010, 11:30 PM

I love Mets fans. The Phils are five games out and the season isn't halfway done yet. You say 2006 wasn't a long time ago, so what has caused you to forget 2007 (a year in which we had a worse team and also lost Utley for a considerable amount of time due to a hand injury) already?

Stay classy.

Yeah, plus he's jumping the gun a bit. He should wait until 3/5 of the Braves' rotation hit the DL to start celebrating a potential Mets' challenge for the division title.

He was clapping for a thumb injury, not terminal cancer. I couldn't care less in what shape your team is, winning is winning is winning...and that is what the Mets are doing! :clap:

You mean "second place is second place is second place". Or "peaking early is peaking early is peaking early".

Yes they can, they did it in 2006. I didn't know that 3 years was that long of a time, Mr. More-Than-Most. :shrug:

If you're going to correct peoples' grammar, you should try to avoid displaying such an awkwardly worded sentence in your signature.

nymetsrule
07-03-2010, 12:16 AM
I love Mets fans. The Phils are five games out and the season isn't halfway done yet. You say 2006 wasn't a long time ago, so what has caused you to forget 2007 (a year in which we had a worse team and also lost Utley for a considerable amount of time due to a hand injury) already?

Yeah, plus he's jumping the gun a bit. He should wait until 3/5 of the Braves' rotation hit the DL to start celebrating a potential Mets' challenge for the division title.

You mean "second place is second place is second place". Or "peaking early is peaking early is peaking early".

If you're going to correct peoples' grammar, you should try to avoid displaying such an awkwardly worded sentence in your signature.

Would you like to put your money where your mouth is and join in on this permaban bet?

No, I mean winning is winning is winning...which is winning. You know...winning? Like...finishing with more runs than the other team?

More-Than-Most
07-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Would you like to put your money where your mouth is and join in on this permaban bet?

No, I mean winning is winning is winning...which is winning. You know...winning? Like...finishing with more runs than the other team?

:facepalm: Is that all you people do?

WoodandNails
07-03-2010, 12:17 PM

:laugh:

Why would I do that? You already get banned if you're wrong.

However, I will make a sig bet with you that whoever loses your bet ******* out and doesn't actually take a permaban but settles on some other form of punishment.

I've never really gotten the point of flexing nuts on an internet forum. When it's done in fun, I can see the point of a bet, but acting like it takes a great deal of confidence to swear something on your presence on an internet forum is the equivalent of putting a dollar on the Royals to win the World Series and then saying you believed in them all along if they actually make it.

Ohh, 'winning (http://schmoffly.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/595-aptopix_world_series_rays_phillies_baseballsffembe ddedprod_affiliate138.jpg) is winning (http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com/sports_impact/2009/01/large_phillies-world-series-trophy.JPG) is winning (http://images.townnews.com/thereporteronline.com/content/articles/2009/10/21/news/doc4adfdfe5433b1327926232.jpg)'. Like the opposite of losing (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_m4FI1xplsaE/S1qykQibpeI/AAAAAAAAEJo/GJGAColMKUU/s1600/Carlos+Beltran+strikeout.jpg).

Kakaroach
07-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Pretty big injury for the Phils, their other guys are really gonna have to pick up the slack. Is he most likely out for the season?

WoodandNails
07-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Pretty big injury for the Phils, their other guys are really gonna have to pick up the slack. Is he most likely out for the season?

There have been so many different reports. Eight weeks would have him returning in September so I assume there's a chance he misses the rest of the regular season if there are complications, but I don't know how likely that scenario is.

However, Utley is a rehab freak and came back from a hip injury between one and two months earlier than he was supposed to be able to recover from it. I expect to see him playing again in 2010 and wouldn't be shocked if he was back a little earlier than the timetables they're releasing now state.

nymetsrule
07-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I've never really gotten the point of flexing nuts on an internet forum.

Ohh, 'winning (http://schmoffly.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/595-aptopix_world_series_rays_phillies_baseballsffembe ddedprod_affiliate138.jpg) is winning (http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com/sports_impact/2009/01/large_phillies-world-series-trophy.JPG) is winning (http://images.townnews.com/thereporteronline.com/content/articles/2009/10/21/news/doc4adfdfe5433b1327926232.jpg)'. Like the opposite of losing (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_m4FI1xplsaE/S1qykQibpeI/AAAAAAAAEJo/GJGAColMKUU/s1600/Carlos+Beltran+strikeout.jpg).

Give into your hatred, strike me down! I am proud of you for figuring out what winning was. :)

(I hope you are joking around like I am, because if you aren't...and you are actually getting upset, I will stop.)

WoodandNails
07-03-2010, 01:35 PM
yes they can, they did it in 2006. I didn't know that 3 years was that long of a time, mr. More-than-most. :shrug:

you figure it out!

:d

nymetsrule
07-03-2010, 01:36 PM
:d

:bs:

WoodandNails
07-03-2010, 01:38 PM
:bs:

in before the edit. is anyone else having trouble using upper case letters on the forum?

nymetsrule
07-03-2010, 01:59 PM

in before the edit. is anyone else having trouble using upper case letters on the forum?

You have to have a lower case letter located somewhere in the post.

LIKE THIS SEEEZ!!!!??

Kakaroach
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
There have been so many different reports. Eight weeks would have him returning in September so I assume there's a chance he misses the rest of the regular season if there are complications, but I don't know how likely that scenario is.

However, Utley is a rehab freak and came back from a hip injury between one and two months earlier than he was supposed to be able to recover from it. I expect to see him playing again in 2010 and wouldn't be shocked if he was back a little earlier than the timetables they're releasing now state. Ahh I see. Yeah, guess there are some players like that. And on those reports, I saw on ESPN 8 weeks and here 4-6 weeks so it could be anytime from 4-8 weeks?

koldjerky
07-03-2010, 02:56 PM
This is kind of when I wish the Phillies had some promising middle infield prospects.