PDA

View Full Version : Has Bosh Become Slightly Overrated?

bredsox33
07-01-2010, 03:14 AM
He's a great player no question, but he hardly even got the Raptors to the playoffs in the inferior East and is soft at times in the paint. People are acting like he's this true superstar. Pau was much better in Memphis than Bosh was in Toronto IMO.

ldc62
07-01-2010, 03:15 AM
He's a great player no question, but he hardly even got the Raptors to the playoffs in the inferior East and is soft at times in the paint. People are acting like he's this true superstar. Pau was much better in Memphis than Bosh was in Toronto IMO.

0 playoff wins.

Dol-Fan
07-01-2010, 03:18 AM
He's getting crazy overrated.

He's a great player, but he's injured 10-15 games every year, below average defensively, doesn't block shots, strong starter and slow finisher. Those things worry me more than never winning a playoff series, his supporting cast hasn't been tremendous but he's got many flaws in his game as well.

bredsox33
07-01-2010, 03:18 AM
0 playoff wins.

They were a 5 seed in the West back to back years and Pau had a better overall game. He also played with an even worse supporting cast than Bosh had in Toronto.

bredsox33
07-01-2010, 03:21 AM
He's getting crazy overrated.

He's a great player, but he's injured 10-15 games every year, below average defensively, doesn't block shots, strong starter and slow finisher. Those things worry me more than never winning a playoff series, his supporting cast hasn't been tremendous but he's got many flaws in his game as well.

That's my point. He's a really good player no question, but the fans and media are acting like this guy is a 2nd superstar to pair with LeBron or Wade. Pau is a lot better than Bosh.

SF25
07-01-2010, 03:24 AM
I'd say he is slightly overrated. He's a great player but he'll never lead a team far into the playoffs, he's not that kind of player. He needs another superstar next to him to be the first option on offense to be successful.

Kevj77
07-01-2010, 03:29 AM
It's because he is a quality big. The true superstar FA aren't bigs, so these teams naturally promise to pair them with a good PF. It's not just Bosh, teams will overpay Amare and even Boozer.

bredsox33
07-01-2010, 03:31 AM
It's because he is a quality big. The true superstar FA aren't bigs, so these teams naturally promise to pair them with a good PF. It's not just Bosh, teams will overpay Amare and even Boozer.

Bosh is a LOT better than Amare, but still overrated. My point was the media is acting like Bosh is this perfectly polished big man with very little holes in his game, and that's not the case at all.

JordanPippen
07-01-2010, 03:36 AM
I'd take Lee over Bosh if LeBron comes to the Bulls. Check my sig

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 03:38 AM
If he was better defensively (he isn't bad now) He's definitely a superstar.

ChiSox219
07-01-2010, 03:46 AM

That's not smart. Besides the fact that most of Lee's strengths are shared with Noah, Bosh is a far better player on both ends of the court and is a perfect fit for the roster the Bulls have.

As for Bosh being overrated, I disagree, I think he's underrated. He attacks the basket with wreckless abandon and is regularly among the league leaders in FTAs. I think that's one of the first things you look for in a max guy, can he get to the line when the rest of his game is off?

His defense is ok, after watching a bunch of Raptors games, much better than I had been hearing. The problem was, Bosh constantly had to guard his man (often the opposing Center), Bargnani's man (Bargs has cement feet on defense) and of course the Traffic Cone's (Calderon) man. That'd be tough to do for Dwight or Camby or anyone else. Bosh rotates well and avoids fouls, I think paired with a real center, his defense will only be better.

You look at what Boozer and Amare have done with MVP caliber PGs and wonder what if...

Chinatownbiznes
07-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Pau was a 19 and 8 type of player,not better than bosh.

abe_froman
07-01-2010, 03:50 AM
just slightly?

...but to answer,yes he's gotten overrated

Cano4prez
07-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Bosh is the best PF this class by far he's a top 10 player IMO but still overrated

ldc62
07-01-2010, 03:55 AM

Ok.... that might be hands down the worst decision a GM could make. Why would you want Lee whose worse on D and on offense?

ldc62
07-01-2010, 04:01 AM
That's not smart. Besides the fact that most of Lee's strengths are shared with Noah, Bosh is a far better player on both ends of the court and is a perfect fit for the roster the Bulls have.

As for Bosh being overrated, I disagree, I think he's underrated. He attacks the basket with wreckless abandon and is regularly among the league leaders in FTAs. I think that's one of the first things you look for in a max guy, can he get to the line when the rest of his game is off?

His defense is ok, after watching a bunch of Raptors games, much better than I had been hearing. The problem was, Bosh constantly had to guard his man (often the opposing Center), Bargnani's man (Bargs has cement feet on defense) and of course the Traffic Cone's (Calderon) man. That'd be tough to do for Dwight or Camby or anyone else. Bosh rotates well and avoids fouls, I think paired with a real center, his defense will only be better.

You look at what Boozer and Amare have done with MVP caliber PGs and wonder what if...

Someone is making a push for Bosh to go to the Bulls?

stawka
07-01-2010, 04:03 AM
He's a good all-round player and a good first option on a team. That said, he'd be a second better option, hence everyone trying to get him so they can lure lebron or wade

Cano4prez
07-01-2010, 04:08 AM

Lee stats are inflated and his defense isn't better then Bosh

xxcubs22xx
07-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Lee stats are inflated and his defense isn't better then Bosh

actually, david lee played 81 games, bosh played 70, and:

Lee had more defensive rebounds and steals per game and 3.6 assists per game compared to bosh's 2.4...Not to mention Lee's FG% and FT% both were significantly better then Bosh...

so yeah, you're wrong.

ChiSox219
07-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Someone is making a push for Bosh to go to the Bulls?

I'd love for him to join the Bulls but I think he's going to Houston, at least that's what I picked in ESPN's predictor game.

GOON MUSIC
07-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Lee cost less too

im just sayin

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Ok.... that might be hands down the worst decision a GM could make. Why would you want Lee whose worse on D and on offense?

Check his sig :laugh2:

vancitysfinest
07-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Chris Bosh vs. Amare Stoudamire vs David Lee
(according to nba.com/ comparing the 3)

Chris Bosh
PPG 24.0
RPG 10.8
APG 2.4
SPG 0.6
BPG 1.0
FG% 0.518
FT% 0.797
3P% 0.364
MPG 36.1

Amare Stoudamire
PPG 22.2
RPG 6.6
APG 1.1
SPG 0.7
BPG 1.5
FG% 0.519
FT% 0.754
3P% 0.000
MPG 36.5

David Lee
PPG 20.2
RPG 11.7
APG 3.6
SPG 1.0
BPG 0.5
FG% 0.545
FT% 0.812
3P% 0.000
MPG 37.3

Bosh is pretty overrated stats wise.

If I was the Raptors and I were to trade Bosh and it'd had to be an eastern conference team, id rather trade him to the knicks and bring in David Lee.

Raptors need a good solid rebounder, and hes much more efficent then chris bosh imo. Also I'd imagine his ppg would rise. Cause Raptor fans know that Bargnani isnt much help on the rebounding end. It might sound crazy but maybe they should ship Bargs out as well, cause hes not much of a " franchise " player if bosh were to leave!.

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 04:27 AM
actually, david lee played 81 games, bosh played 70, and:

Lee had more defensive rebounds and steals per game and 3.6 assists per game compared to bosh's 2.4...Not to mention Lee's FG% and FT% both were significantly better then Bosh...

so yeah, you're wrong.

Because he plays for the NYK.

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 04:28 AM

If I was the Raptors and I were to trade Bosh and it'd had to be an eastern conference team, id rather trade him to the knicks and bring in David Lee.

Raptors need a good solid rebounder, and hes much more efficent then chris bosh imo. Also I'd imagine his ppg would rise. Cause Raptor fans know that Bargnani isnt much help on the rebounding end. It might sound crazy but maybe they should ship Bargs out as well, cause hes not much of a " franchise " player if bosh were to leave!.

I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing

mjt20mik
07-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Bosh is the best PF this class by far he's a top 10 player IMO but still overrated

Dirk Nowitzki

vancitysfinest
07-01-2010, 04:36 AM
I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing

how much longer do raptor fans have to go through this. It's not fair that they draft a player in the lottery, they become a great player later on there career and when they are considered one of the top, they leave or ask for a trade!

what ever happened to Loyalty? and if loyalty isn't the issue and money is THEY CAN offer more then OTHER TEAMS!

Bosh is a douchebag, just add him to the line of former raptor players who either walked out on the team or demanded a trade!

Raptor Douchbag Hall of Fame:
Vince Carter :clap:
Tracy McGrady :facepalm:
Chris Bosh :mad:

I'm surprised there's never discussions on The Raptors being up for sale, since the warriors, pacers, pistons, etc get mentioned!

don't get me wrong, I love Toronto, after all i'm Canadian, but Bosh walking out is just another hit to the Fans of Toronto

Mattb7
07-01-2010, 04:39 AM
I don't believe that Bosh is overrated in a slight bit. His team plays horrible most of the time and he's a 24 and 10 guy. The man is a double double machine. I do believe that he isn't a franchise player though. He would fit more as a role player like Gasol did. Bosh play with finesse and is very skilled around the basket. He has the advantage that he is left handed too. He is a great player but I don't think he's worth a max contract yet until he proves himself.

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 04:40 AM
how much longer do raptor fans have to go through this. It's not fair that they draft a player in the lottery, they become a great player later on there career and when they are considered one of the top, they leave or ask for a trade!

what ever happened to Loyalty? and if loyalty isn't the issue and money is THEY CAN offer more then OTHER TEAMS!

Bosh is a douchebag, just add him to the line of former raptor players who either walked out on the team or demanded a trade!

Raptor Douchbag Hall of Fame:
Vince Carter :clap:
Tracy McGrady :facepalm:
Chris Bosh :mad:

I'm surprised there's never discussions on The Raptors being up for sale, since the warriors, pacers, pistons, etc get mentioned!

don't get me wrong, I love Toronto, after all i'm Canadian, but Bosh walking out is just another hit to the Fans of Toronto

1. He not one time asked to be traded. Not one time.
2. He was under contract for 7 years in Toronto, all of which was fulfilled. It's business
3. Toronto did not build a winner, and therefore did not win. He wants to win, and has a chance to do so with another team. That's that.
4. Toronto is a successful franchise in terms of selling seats and getting Canadian airplay and advertisements.
5. David Lee is _NOT_ better than Bosh. His stats are because of NYK.

vancitysfinest
07-01-2010, 04:46 AM
1. He not one time asked to be traded. Not one time.
2. He was under contract for 7 years in Toronto, all of which was fulfilled. It's business
3. Toronto did not build a winner, and therefore did not win. He wants to win, and has a chance to do so with another team. That's that.
4. Toronto is a successful franchise in terms of selling seats and getting Canadian airplay and advertisements.
5. David Lee is _NOT_ better than Bosh. His stats are because of NYK.

1)I consider him considering to leave being a douchbag.
2) agree with you
3) agree with you, except when he said he wants to be the guy that a team builds around him, why not stay with the raptors, dont give up on them... have " faith"
4) agreed
5) I still think he'd be effective on the raptors

I'm not gunna argue with you much, because you have a good points,:clap: i'm just bitter and annoyed by the bosh ******** of him going to Miami, going to Bulls, Going to Rockets, Going to Knicks, etc

Mattb7
07-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Chris Bosh vs. Amare Stoudamire vs David Lee
(according to nba.com/ comparing the 3)

Chris Bosh
PPG 24.0
RPG 10.8
APG 2.4
SPG 0.6
BPG 1.0
FG% 0.518
FT% 0.797
3P% 0.364
MPG 36.1

Amare Stoudamire
PPG 22.2
RPG 6.6
APG 1.1
SPG 0.7
BPG 1.5
FG% 0.519
FT% 0.754
3P% 0.000
MPG 36.5

David Lee
PPG 20.2
RPG 11.7
APG 3.6
SPG 1.0
BPG 0.5
FG% 0.545
FT% 0.812
3P% 0.000
MPG 37.3

If Bosh wants to leave it would make sense to trade him to the Knicks for Lee. But you gotta remember Lee takes way more shots in the post so obviously he would have a higher field goal percentage. Bosh has a way better shot and he can shoot those perimeter shots easily so saying his stats are overrated doesn't make sense. Plus the fact that teams know toronto and they throw double teams at bosh and its harder for him to score but he still averages a double double.

Oaktown R8ers
07-01-2010, 05:43 AM
If your name is being mentioned in the same sentence with Lebron James and Dwayne Wade you are getting to that overrated status.

BradyIsTheMan12
07-01-2010, 06:03 AM
I don't think Bosh is overrated. It's not like we are hearing about teams thinking Bosh is the answer, every team interested wants the other piece(Wade, Lebron) to finish the puzzle along with him. Bosh is an important piece, regardless of his flaws.

BradyIsTheMan12
07-01-2010, 06:05 AM
If your name is being mentioned in the same sentence with Lebron James and Dwayne Wade you are getting to that overrated status.

He's not being mentioned as a substitute for one of them though, he's a compliment. People are overlooking simple facts..

Apophis
07-01-2010, 06:32 AM

:facepalm: Something I see you keep repeating.. We all know Lee plays for the NYK... but explain to me this...

How are Lee's Defensive stats inflated because he plays for NYK... If the Knicks are NOT known for defense?

You keep saying Lee's stats are because of NYK.. so that means Bosh stats are because of the Rapters... Thats great logic there... So would that mean that Duncan's stats are because of the Spurs? :rolleyes:

FOBolous
07-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Bosh may not be the best PF in the league but he's the best PF that's currently on the market. Dirk is old. Amare is questionable. Boozer lacks passion. and David Lee is...well...David lee.

and by all measures, Chris Bosh is a top5 PF in the league:

- of all the PFs in the league, only Dirk averaged more points per game than Bosh.
- among PFs, Bosh ranked 4th in rpg
- again...among PFs, Bosh ranked #5 in double doubles
- if you look at more advanced stats, Bosh ranked #1 among all PFs in PER (which measures how efficient a player is)

Bosh is definitely NOT overrated.

magichatnumber9
07-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Bosh is soft. sounds like a commercial slogan. Have you guys all forgot that in Chris Bosh's world he is the marquee free agent, not Lebron.

xxseven72ducexx
07-01-2010, 07:06 AM
well the thing is, bosh isn't overrated because during this whole free agency bonanzo nobodys been talking about his skill or his talent but he is being overrated in the fact that everyone is saying he is going to get a max contract that's gonna be the same as the likes of LeBron or Wade...skill and talent wise he's not close to them 2 and doesn't deserve the same contract as them but because the demand is so high for these players that he's going to get it and is being looked at as a top-tier player

chisox311
07-01-2010, 07:35 AM
yes

Wizard of O's
07-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Thoughts on him with the Rockets?

Brooks
Martin
Ariza/Battier
Bosh
Yao/Scola

nstojic
07-01-2010, 07:53 AM
as a raps fan, i don't disagree....

however, pair him with wade or LBJ and he's a solid 1a-2

nstojic
07-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Thoughts on him with the Rockets?

Brooks
Martin
Ariza/Battier
Bosh
Yao/Scola

that's a way better supporting cast than the raps ever gave him... he would go farther with that group

nstojic
07-01-2010, 07:55 AM
to that end, let's face it... almost all these guys are overrated... besides, IMO, LBJ, wade, kobe, maybe durant... no one else deserves the 'max' but unfortunately, that's the state of the NBA and that's why the owners want to roll back salaries for the upcoming CBA talks

koreancabbage
07-01-2010, 07:56 AM
he's the key on the two other big free agents.

Both Lebron want a big man on their team that can take the pressure off them as well. Bosh is around the same age as both guys, which kinda creates the team chemistry needed. He's the best PF on the free market cuz he's YOUNG and can still get better.

Bosh is kinda the ultimate second fiddle but he's the first domino that needs to be tipped over before the other free agents make a move- whether Bosh says he is waiting for Lebron or not. Best thing is: he's got a great attitude and he gets along with team management- thus why teams are going after him first other than the older (Nowitzki) and immature attitude players (Stoudemire, Boozer)

Ragun
07-01-2010, 08:01 AM

i agree with you. overrated. probably the best second option available in free agency but he is no #1.

Me and Jack
07-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Bosh is way overrated.. Dirk, Amare, and Boozer are better PF's... at least they have playoff experience. I understand he's younger but only by a few years... He was the best player on a bad team on the "easy" East. How many playoff games has he played in? It's more about LeBron and Wade... then everyone else. What would be more of a Big 3? LeBron, Wade, and Bosh or LeBron, Wade and Nowitski? More importantly the question is How is Carmelo and Chris Paul possibly being traded is gonna effect the FA madness... LeBron n Melo...?

NYK|NYY
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Well hes being brought in (probably) as a number 2 guy, so that's pretty much what he is. I like him better than Gasol.

S-Dot
07-01-2010, 08:53 AM
The title of the thread uses the best adverb..."slightly." He is a great asset and probably one of the top 2 players in Raptors history. The fact that he would complement D-Wade or LeBron's game very well along with the fact that teams have a ridiculous amount of money to sign him has made him "slightly" overrated. Still a very good player though.

nstojic
07-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Well hes being brought in (probably) as a number 2 guy, so that's pretty much what he is. I like him better than Gasol.

Gasol's scores a bit less but is a better passer and plays better D

Gasol>Bosh

jrm2054
07-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Bosh is def overrated

Thisisouryear!!
07-01-2010, 09:05 AM
slightly? try greatly....

Thisisouryear!!
07-01-2010, 09:05 AM
the man is soft, period.

rhino17
07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
he is incredibly overrated

TO to the CHI
07-01-2010, 09:14 AM

If you repeat this 5 or 6 more times perhaps it will make sense. But if the Knicks were so terrible and explains Lee's stats, how did he average 1.5X the assists that Bosh did? Perhaps it's because Bosh is a terrible passer.

I agree with you that Bosh is better than Lee. And as a Raptors fan I will miss Bosh, but the reality is that his numbers were inflated by being the go to guy on the Raptors and having every posession flow through him. His numbers will tail off as he joins a better team ..... hopefully for his sake the wins will increase.

Mell413
07-01-2010, 09:15 AM
He's overrated. The way the media is covering him it makes it look like he's on the same level as guys like LBJ and Wade and that is not the case. It also bothers me that he couldn't take his team to the playoffs in the East. If you're a centerpiece like he says he is you should make the playoffs.

kj_
07-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Overrated? Yes! He can NEVER lead a team into contention. And at Max money, you need to. The overrated part come from teams believing he can be a great side kick. The problem, IMO, is he needs the ball in his hands in isolation plays to be effective. That would be fine if he could pass when the doubles come. He is a well below average passer out of doubles (boardering on poor). He is below average on D as well. His strength is scoring and getting to the line in isolations on the wing. That doesn't mesh with LeBron or Wade's game...they need the ball. I'm sure GM's envision Bosh benefitting from the superstar (LeBron...Wade) drawing all the attention and hitting an open Bosh. Problem is, he'll hold the ball til the D recovers, then try to beat his man...trouble is the clock is now way down. Back to my point, he needs the ball on the wing in isolation early in the clock to be effective. He uses the pick and roll only to get open on the wing...he never rolls.

A much better side kick for those guys would be Amare or Boozer...they can finish at the rim which is what LeBron and Wade can get them.

Bosh and Yao could work though.

Melo15
07-01-2010, 09:24 AM
He's a very good but not great player. Of course he's overrated, every one of these players are overrated. Hell they have LeBron being the second coming of Jesus Christ.

S-Dot
07-01-2010, 09:27 AM
He's overrated. The way the media is covering him it makes it look like he's on the same level as guys like LBJ and Wade and that is not the case. It also bothers me that he couldn't take his team to the playoffs in the East. If you're a centerpiece like he says he is you should make the playoffs.

great point:clap:

tjlipford
07-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Being that he is good friends with Lebron and Wade he is getting a lot of publicity. That is to be expected though. He has some weaknesses but it's hard to argue 24 & 11. He is a good player but whatever team lands him will see how good he really is

Lo Porto
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
At the end of this Free Agency mess, Joe Johnson, David Lee, Bosh and Amare will all be overpaid. When are teams going to realize that there are really only about 10 max contract type players in the entire NBA? 75% of teams end up regretting signing guys to max or near max contracts. Just look at Lewis and Vince in Orlando, TMac last year, AK in Utah, Jefferson in SA, Redd in Milwaukee, Marbury a couple years back, Kenyon in Denver, Jamison in Cleveland, Brand in Philly, Jermaine O'Neal in Miami last year, BDiddy in LA, etc., etc., etc.

There are only 10 max contract players in the NBA: LBJ, Kobe, Durant, Paul, Deron, Duncan, Dirk, and few others.

J4KOP99
07-01-2010, 09:44 AM
He's good but not THIS good. The way the media is portraying him, they make it seem like he is as important as any other free agent. Obviously Wade and LeBron want a big man to team up with but no matter who they get, be it Bosh, Boozer or Amar'e...they are basically getting the same thing.

If Dirk were 3 years younger, nobody would be talking about Bosh this way. Dirk is probbaly still more skilled, he is just a little too old for some of these teams.

Raoul Duke
07-01-2010, 09:49 AM
This is just silly. He's a 26 year old perrennial all-star, he's been putting up 22+/10 for the last five years, he has no major injury history, and by all reports he's a high character guy.

I'll just bow out before I start accusing people of smoking crack.

nstojic
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
This is just silly. He's a 26 year old perrennial all-star, he's been putting up 22+/10 for the last five years, he has no major injury history, and by all reports he's a high character guy.

I'll just bow out before I start accusing people of smoking crack.

all of that is true but he's not in the same sentence as LBJ, Kobe, Wade, Duncan, Paul... when it comes to carrying a team...

Raoul Duke
07-01-2010, 10:01 AM
all of that is true but he's not in the same sentence as LBJ, Kobe, Wade, Duncan, Paul... when it comes to carrying a team...

He still deserves max. If that guy doesn't deserve max, name me another PF in the NBA who does.

EDIT: I don't think Toronto's lack of success has been Bosh's fault. No offense to the fans, but the franchise as a whole has come off as completely clueless at times. They never really spent any money to get a top tier coaching staff in place, and as a result they spent the first part of last season with a defensive philosophy that amounted to "we'll just do what Boston does!". Put Bosh on The Rockets and the criticisms disappear by next summer.

Geargo Wallace
07-01-2010, 10:09 AM
slightly is an understatement.

nstojic
07-01-2010, 10:15 AM
He still deserves max. If that guy doesn't deserve max, name me another PF in the NBA who does.

see, now you're getting into a philosophy/approach to player salaries.. this is where we differ... To me, a max guy is an elite, dominant, game-changer, game in game out... i.e. LBJ, Kobe, maybe Wade... and that's it! After that, there's a tier that's a notch below: dirk, paul, duncan, durant, maybe bosh(often), williams, maybe amare, howard etc... and then a notch below that.. and a tier below that, get it.. IMO they should all be paid accordingly..... the problem is that bosh has tried sooooo hard to put himself up on the same platform as LBJ and wade and the media is almost catering to his cries for attention... at the end of the day, in my books, there's just two or three guys that should be paid as the absolute best players in the game.... but we know that's not the case... some ESPN guy put it best once but I don't remember who it was..."for the same price you can have James or you can have bosh"

tangent12
07-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Exactly. I've noticed this too, he's been vastly overrated ever since the offseason talk began. It was like the guy was given just the right amount of credit and out of nowhere they got him in the same spotlight as Wade and LeBron. Honestly, the guy is just good, he's nowhere near great. He won't lead any team to a championship by himself anytime soon, he's more of a complementary guy.

NYK|NYY
07-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't think anyone thinks hes a franchise guy, he's an awesome #2.

Raoul Duke
07-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I'd rank a 26 year old Bosh ahead of a 34 year old Duncan or a 32 year old Dirk. This argument is mostly semantics, anyways. All those max guys you mentioned? They all need to be paired with a big in order to have the best chance to win, and Bosh is the best big.

Look, if there were a prime Shaq or a prime Hakeem in the league, perceptions of Bosh's value would change. But right now, he's the cream of the crop.

nstojic
07-01-2010, 10:31 AM
They all need to be paired with a big in order to have the best chance to win, and Bosh is the best big.

Look, if there were a prime Shaq or a prime Hakeem in the league, perceptions of Bosh's value would change. But right now, he's the cream of the crop.

that's why I said that this was a difference of philosophy in salaries... nothing more

yes, bosh is a great player and needs to be paired to win, nowadays, but just not a max player in how I see nba salaries

stripersniper77
07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Exactly. I've noticed this too, he's been vastly overrated ever since the offseason talk began. It was like the guy was given just the right amount of credit and out of nowhere they got him in the same spotlight as Wade and LeBron. Honestly, the guy is just good, he's nowhere near great. He won't lead any team to a championship by himself anytime soon, he's more of a complementary guy.

Who was the last superstar to lead a team to a championship by themselves?

nstojic
07-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Who was the last superstar to lead a team to a championship by themselves?

i'd say the gap between Timmy D and the rest of the spurs in 02-03 was enough for me to consider it 'himself'...

then, there's the jordan argument about how much 'help' pippen and co, provided....

Hakeem in 93-94 really did do it by himself... clyde helped, the following year..

mikantsass
07-01-2010, 10:51 AM

No way Pau had a much better cast and couldnt get out of the 1st round.

He is the third best available player in FA. The reason he is commanding so much money on the court is because he makes very little off of the court. He doesnt have the Nike deal that Lebron does, or the TMobile deal that Wade has. Maybe one could make the arguement that if Bosh was a "superstar" he would be able to get big endorsements....

knickerbockerny
07-01-2010, 10:53 AM
The reason he is getting so much love is because he is good friends with Lebron and Wade. Every team with cap space wants Lebron or Wade and those two have stated interest in playing with Bosh

That's the only reason why is has been overrated. If I were a gm and had a choice of any free agent big man, I'm choosing David Lee. He has improved every year and still improving, and has not peaked yet. The only whole in his game is defense and that could be blamed on the fact that he played out of position for a team with a 6'8 guy playing power forward.

I actually watched a couple games against the Raptors and he played Chris Bosh even.

Sixerlover
07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Because 24/10 big men grow on trees nowadays..

nstojic
07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Because 24/10 big men grow on trees nowadays..

they don't....but it's how you arrive at those figures that does... and is D not important, anymore???? did you not watch game 7 of the finals??? and how did a supposedly 'old over the hill' boston team even get to the finals???

Chronz
07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
No way Pau had a much better cast and couldnt get out of the 1st round.

Thats your argument? Didnt Bosh have HCA and lose if your gonna play that dumb card?

Atownballa5
07-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Bosh is good but that superstar caliber people are saying, but this free agency has guys thinking he's as high as lebron

Sixerlover
07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
they don't....but it's how you arrive at those figures that does... and is D not important, anymore???? did you not watch game 7 of the finals??? and how did a supposedly 'old over the hill' boston team even get to the finals???

If you pair him with Noah in the post, or with another athletic defensive big man, Bosh will get the lesser of the opponents big man. Which is something he didn't get in Toronto. And he is very capable of defending a teams 2nd best offensive option. Bosh isn't Amare Stoudemire or Al Jefferson bad on the defensive side of the ball, or he would be in comparisons with those type of players. It's clear he is above them defensively, and isn't as bad as you guys are claiming.

Bosh's main minus to me is that he misses about 10 games a year, and is a little soft. But still deserving of a max deal

nstojic
07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
It's clear he is above them defensively, and isn't as bad as you guys are claiming.

Bosh's main minus to me is that he misses about 10 games a year, and is a little soft. But still deserving of a max deal

agree to disagree

+ bargnani has been playing the C, consistently, for the last year and a half... bosh hasn't had to play the larger low post player

Dmagic87
07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Big men are not graded on the same scale. This is a guards league now. Big men will always be Robin if they want to win... never Batman.

Look at what Pau Gasol as become. Garnett couldn't do it alone. Tim Duncan was the only big recently who can actually carry a team. Mainly because they built the perfect team around him.

He is not overrated. Clearly Lebron and Wade want to play with Bosh more than anyone else. I think they know better than us.

nstojic
07-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Big men are not graded on the same scale. This is a guards league now. Big men will always be Robin if they want to win... never Batman.

Look at what Pau Gasol as become. Garnett couldn't do it alone. Tim Duncan was the only big recently who can actually carry a team. Mainly because they built the perfect team around him.

He is not overrated. Clearly Lebron and Wade want to play with Bosh more than anyone else. I think they know better than us.

that's a friendship/olympic team thing... IMO they'd get practically the same results with amare or dirk

gwrighter
07-01-2010, 11:32 AM
For the most part we as fans do not overrate bosh. I think he overrates himself. The consensus view is that bosh can not lead a team to a championship, yet he believes he can/will. I personally think that he needs to mature a little bit more and become a team player if he wants to win. The chris bosh that only lifts weights for contract seasons is not a winner and never will be. He needs to consistently maintain that level of determination and focus every single year. If he's not in the gym trying to get bigger this offseason then i don't have faith in his will to succeed. It's time for him to take orders from Dwade.(if he goes to miami)........Exactly like what Kobe has done with Pau.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
been sayin this for years.

Kashmir13579
07-01-2010, 11:58 AM
if this puts it into perspective, i'd rather keep David lee than get bosh. david lee's jumper is almost as good as bosh's at this point

Chicagofaithful
07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Bosh + Noah/Bynum/Yao/Lopez/Perkins (God forgvie me for that last one) will make him just as valuable as PAU plus if you add an Elite wing player like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Rose, Pierce ect... hes going to be even better.... no one can do it by themselves in this league... no one...

8kobe24
07-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Bosh + Noah/Bynum/Yao/Lopez/Perkins (God forgvie me for that last one) will make him just as valuable as PAU plus if you add an Elite wing player like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Rose, Pierce ect... hes going to be even better.... no one can do it by themselves in this league... no one...

I agree, except for that last one you were asking forgiveness for. :D

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 12:32 PM
:facepalm: Something I see you keep repeating.. We all know Lee plays for the NYK... but explain to me this...

How are Lee's Defensive stats inflated because he plays for NYK... If the Knicks are NOT known for defense?

You keep saying Lee's stats are because of NYK.. so that means Bosh stats are because of the Rapters... Thats great logic there... So would that mean that Duncan's stats are because of the Spurs? :rolleyes:

Didn't think I was talking about his defensive stats... Maybe quoted the wrong guy. But a case can be made for his offense.

Are the Knicks well structured as the Spurs?

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 12:36 PM
If you repeat this 5 or 6 more times perhaps it will make sense. But if the Knicks were so terrible and explains Lee's stats, how did he average 1.5X the assists that Bosh did? Perhaps it's because Bosh is a terrible passer.

I agree with you that Bosh is better than Lee. And as a Raptors fan I will miss Bosh, but the reality is that his numbers were inflated by being the go to guy on the Raptors and having every posession flow through him. His numbers will tail off as he joins a better team ..... hopefully for his sake the wins will increase.

Sure will
Because Duhon is just that amazing of a PG

Raoul Duke
07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
IMO they'd get practically the same results with amare or dirk

Probably, but they'd either be taking on a player who has 6 fewer years left on his body, or a guy who comes with major knee and eye injuries.

R cool J
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Maybe not overrated, Bosh is a great player...but i think right now because his name is being associated with LBJ and Wade more than Amare or Booz is, he is just being overhyped by fans and media.

SluggeR
07-01-2010, 02:13 PM
I think playing on the "Redeem Team" has caused people to overrate him. Watching Bosh play against th Hwks this year a couple times, is eally all I have to go on...I wasn't impressed. Bosh not even being able to get the raps to the playoffs, sends up flags for me.

NYMetros
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I think Bosh is a top 10 player. I'd take him over Amare and Boozer. Not sure if I would rather have him over Dirk and Pau Gasol, it's very close. But Bosh gives you 25 and 10 every game. I'm not sure how that is overrated. Sure he might not be a banger in the paint like Dwight Howard or Boozer is, but you can't argue with his production. In my opinion the word overrated is starting to become overrated, everyone uses it way too often.

I'm trying to think of 10 guys I'd rather have than Bosh. Having a tough time.
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Carmelo
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul
Pau Gasol
Dirk
Durant

That's all I got. Which would make Bosh #10. You could make an argument for Deron Williams too, so maybe Bosh is #11.

MaHaRaJaH
07-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I think Bosh is a top 10 player. I'd take him over Amare and Boozer. Not sure if I would rather have him over Dirk and Pau Gasol, it's very close. But Bosh gives you 25 and 10 every game. I'm not sure how that is overrated. Sure he might not be a banger in the paint like Dwight Howard or Boozer is, but you can't argue with his production. In my opinion the word overrated is starting to become overrated, everyone uses it way too often.

Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Carmelo
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul
Pau Gasol
Dirk
Durant

That's all I got. Which would make Bosh #10. You could make an argument for Deron Williams too, so maybe Bosh is #11.

Much agreed, refer to the :facepalm: phenomenon.

Pistol_Pete
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Oh yeah he's overrated. He a good player, better than most. He's an all-star. He's young. But when it comes down to it...he's just a 20/10 guy. Bosh is not a MAX player. Neither is Amare, neither is JJ. Bosh has not single handedly changed a franchise. He has not dominated. Very few players are truly max lever players, thought teams will give it to them.

As a Knicks fan, I'd rather see LeBron/JJ/David Lee over LeBron/Bosh. Bosh is the better player, and I'd choose him over Lee if money wasn't an issue. But money is an issue and that has to be taken into consideration. Will I be upset if the Knicks get Bosh. No, not if he comes with a second star, but I'd rather have a better rounded out team with players I know can get the same stats even if their athleticism is a little less.

Raph12
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Slightly? :rolleyes:

ink
07-01-2010, 03:38 PM
he's getting crazy overrated.

+1

ink
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Slightly? :rolleyes:

I agree. Extremely is more like it.

One of the things that is unsaid in all this stupid hype about the BIG THREE is that Dirk Nowitzki is arguably the second best FA on the market right now. Bosh is at best the 4th best.

I think the real reason Bosh is so over-rated in this free agency pool is that he is basically untested. He was a role player who looked very good on a super stacked Olympic team and in the NBA he has never really failed in the playoffs because he has only made very brief appearances. Under scrutiny people will discover how flawed his game is.

I would rate him right around Amare and Joe Johnson. The top 3 FAs are LBJ, DWade and Dirk.

DLeeicious
07-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Incredibly overrated to the point that it is reallllly bugging me. He thinks he is the greatest thing of all time and it's annoying. I'm not sure when/where or how he got so overrated it just sorta happened. Probably Bulls fans fault. Don't get me wrong I still want him, I just wouldn't even flinch if we missed out on him. Lebron on the other hand...

NYMetros
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
He thinks he is the greatest thing of all time and it's annoying.

LOL, how's he think he's the greatest thing of all-time? He just said he wants to be the centerpiece of a team. That means he thinks he the best player ever?

CowboysKB24
07-01-2010, 04:15 PM

IMO he is underrated.

DLeeicious
07-01-2010, 04:33 PM
LOL, how's he think he's the greatest thing of all-time? He just said he wants to be the centerpiece of a team. That means he thinks he the best player ever?

The way he has talked to the media has just really bugged me. Obviously the greatest thing of all time was an exaggeration. Honestly I can't even write in words why he has bugged me so much, but it's just got worse and worse all offseason with all his quotes. It's just led me to think who does this guy think he is?

Raph12
07-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Carmelo
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul
Pau Gasol
Dirk
Durant

Let me try:
Kobe
Bron
Dwight
CP3
Melo
Wade
Gasol
Dirk
Durant
Roy
D-Will
Duncan
Boozer
Yao

I could keep going, he's not even Top 15-20 material to me, he's there with guys like Amare, Joe Johnson, Garnett, Pierce, etc... Solid but nothing too special

PLAYERS FAN
07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
IMO he is underrated.

True! I still think him and Dirk are the best PF in the league. Gasol right behind them! Gasol is the most skilled!

hockeyunhboy77
07-01-2010, 06:44 PM
I dont think he's worth the max. I dont think some of these guys like rudy gay players like that are worth that much. Players are so overpaid in the NBA I think the MAX needs to be lowered. Its riducious how much these guys are getting paid compared to the nfl,nhl or mlb. think about all the people in the nba who get paid at least 17 or 18 million and are opting out to get more its a joke. how much they are getting paid.

I only think the guys that should get max are

Kobe
Lebron
wade
Durant
Chris paul
tim duncan
Dwight
Gasol
Maybe amare

Thats it i may have missed an obvious one i dont think bosh deserves a max maybe 20 million max hes good but not max. I think the nba should stop throwing millions at players. They need to bring the max down somehow.

PLAYERS FAN
07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Damn that's a great post!

magichatnumber9
07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Bosh really excels at the defensive end. So no he is not overrated.

Verbal Christ
07-01-2010, 07:20 PM

you should have your account revoked for that one dude, holy **** what are you smoking?

PrettyBoyJ
07-01-2010, 07:41 PM
The thing about Bosh and his game is he's just there.. He's never been a game changer in Toronto, Ive seen only on a few occasions were Bosh jus carried his team.. Overrated would be an understatement IMO,

NYMetros
07-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Let me try:
Kobe
Bron
Dwight
CP3
Melo
Wade
Gasol
Dirk
Durant
Roy
D-Will
Duncan
Boozer
Yao

I could keep going, he's not even Top 15-20 material to me, he's there with guys like Amare, Joe Johnson, Garnett, Pierce, etc... Solid but nothing too special

I think you value team success too much. Bosh would excel if he was on teams like the Lakers, Jazz, Rockets, spurs, etc. He just hasn't been on a winning team.

DLeeicious
07-01-2010, 08:36 PM

lol joke?

JC_
07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
The thing about Bosh and his game is he's just there.. He's never been a game changer in Toronto, Ive seen only on a few occasions were Bosh jus carried his team.. Overrated would be an understatement IMO,

I'm a Raptors fan and IMO Bosh had to carry the team too much. There were many games where you could see him giving 120% while the rest of the team played like they were in a pickup game. He has a different mindset than a lot of players and to be honest I can't blame him if he leaves toronto to play with people who want to win.

uknowmyname
07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
He is definitely overrated. He does not make any of his teammates better. I don't think he is in the top 10 in the league, sorry but I believe he is a slightly better version of Antawn Jamison. To get a max contract you should be able to carry a team.

Apophis
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Didn't think I was talking about his defensive stats... Maybe quoted the wrong guy. But a case can be made for his offense.

Are the Knicks well structured as the Spurs?

Oh ok..... I just mentioned Tim Duncan because I was reading an article on him...lol

Sure will
Because Duhon is just that amazing of a PG

I am glad you are on the Duhon wagon like the rest of us... Duhon is a BEAST..... :D :rolleyes: :eyebrow: lol

DUHON >>>>>>>>> Paul , Williams and every other PG in the league.. :)

numba1CHANGsta
07-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Bosh is the top 3 PF's in the league today so why not overpay for him, he's worth it, unlike a Gay or JJ..

Raph12
07-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I think you value team success too much. Bosh would excel if he was on teams like the Lakers, Jazz, Rockets, spurs, etc. He just hasn't been on a winning team.

Defensive intensity, killer instinct and leadership, 3 qualities Bosh does not possess to make me think he's max player worthy. Bosh is overrated and not a Top 15-20 player in this league IMO. People saying Bosh is the second best PF behind Dirk need to take it easy with the shrooms, Bosh can't even hang with a 30-something yr old Duncan.

MacFitz92
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Way overrated. On one thread in particular it seemed the majority thought Bosh was better than Dirk :facepalm:

The Raven
07-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Slightly overrated. Not worth all the attention he is getting when he hasnt won jack. He's an excellent scorer but, thats not all that you need to excel in this league. IMO, not worth a max like it seems any Joe is getting these days

21isBack
07-02-2010, 05:17 AM
He's not a one man show. With another star he will be a All-Star years to come.

wudadoda
07-02-2010, 05:52 AM
IMO .AMARE, JOE JOHNSON, BOOZER, & BOSH are NOT worth a max contract by any means.. ..they're decnt but I would only offer max deals to Lebron and D-wade!! he rest should make about 15 million per year at MAX!!! I can't see any of these other players leading a team to a championship. Wade has done it!! Its only a matter of time before cry baby Lebron James does it!! Yo Bosh, If you're reading this do NOT come to Houston!!! I'm not hating on them for taking the max contracts but I just don't see how they're worth it..

Rapthug
07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
CB is a top 15 player; I wouldn't consider him top 10. Like other people has stated, this is a PG/wing player league with the no hand check rule.

My big issues with Bosh is that he is a very poor defender one on one. He seems like a very nice guy but he is not a leader. But for me, the big reason why I wouldn't want to sign him as a max guy for 5 years is his knees. He has logged a lot of minutes over the years and has had some issues with his knees. I see him blowing out a knee. If that happens he'll be a shell of what he was as he relies on his quickness.

RipVW
07-02-2010, 10:54 AM
That's my point. He's a really good player no question, but the fans and media are acting like this guy is a 2nd superstar to pair with LeBron or Wade. Pau is a lot better than Bosh.

When you play close to the basket, youre more reliant on your team to get fed the ball. Most of the elite players are perimeter players. They can create the shot and drive. You can get them the ball in more places on the floor. With PF and Cs its easier to deny them the ball by virtue of where they play.

Raoul Duke
07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Whats with all the crazy Dirk love? You guys would honestly rather have a 32 year old Dirk for 20+ million a year to start?

kyubi256
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Bosh has become slightly overrated because of the LJ and Wade hype. They both love him so the media loves him... They are treating him like a top 5 player when he really isn't.

I say he is in the same category as Amare because Amare is far superior offensively IMO. Bosh does miss games and his 20-10 numbers are largely due to his quick starts