PDA

View Full Version : Salmons close to re-signing with the Bucks

TheBomb255
06-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Salmons could stay with Bucks

The Milwaukee Bucks and John Salmons have made good progress on a new contract, league sources said. Salmons elected to opt out of his deal and become a free agent.

– Adrian Wojnarowski, June 30, 10:30 ET

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq0S5xhvd1_MeGkP6R6AI2y8vLYF?slug=ys-freeagentbuzz063010

Would be a huge deal for Milwaukee.

roshan3ai
06-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Why would he re-sign? They just got Maggette

TheBomb255
06-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Salmons is a SG, Maggette would be SF probably.

PG: Brandon Jennings
SG: John Salmons/CDR
SF: Corey Maggette/Carlos Delfino
PF: Ersan/Luc Richard
C: Bogut

They still have to fill the backup PG/C spot, but re-signing Salmons would be huge imo.

tangent12
06-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Resigning Salmons is a mistake they will pay in the very near future.

If you disagree, Salmons hasn't been on your team long enough.

TheBomb255
06-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Salmons averaged 20 PPG last season with the Bucks along with 3 REB and 3 AST. I don't see how this would be a bad deal, unless if the Bucks highly overpaid for him.

AI4MVP
06-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Bucks will be a top 4 team in the east next year.

jimbobjarree
06-30-2010, 11:52 PM
good to see, they will have a pretty sweet team next season if bogut stays healthy

avrpatsfan
06-30-2010, 11:52 PM

They still have to fill the backup PG/C spot, but re-signing Salmons would be huge imo.
That's a great team. Watch out for the Bucks. A lot of NBA teams are getting a lot better.

still1ballin
06-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Nice

Cubsfan365
06-30-2010, 11:56 PM
bucks will be a top 4 team in the east next year.
lol

TheBomb255
06-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Forgot about Hobson and Larry Sanders.

Probably looks more like this:

SG: John Salmons/Chris-Douglas Roberts
SF: Corey Maggette/Carlos Delfino/Hobson
PF: Ersan/Luc Richard/Larry Sanders
C: Andrew Bogut

Tons of depth, really like how Hammond is shaping this team.

Gators123
06-30-2010, 11:58 PM
They probably will be.

tangent12
06-30-2010, 11:58 PM
bucks will be a top 4 team in the east next year.

rofl!!!!

MU and UW Fan
06-30-2010, 11:59 PM
lol

I'll lol when the Bulls don't sign Lebron or Bosh.

Swashcuff
06-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Michael Redd anyone?

robdog_5
07-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Not a good thing for Mil IMO, Maggette and Salmons are the same player. Both guys are below avg shooters who excel at going to hole. Both really are SF's. The lane just got clogged

TheBomb255
07-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Michael Redd won't play for the Bucks at all this coming season. He ruins the chemistry on the floor, and they'll probably just tell him to stay home. He's going to be a really good trade piece at the deadline, so they'll ship him off then.

LTBaByyy
07-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Does this mean they are trading Redd's contract for a starting pf??

I know this might be crazy!! but shouldnt they try to get Al Jefferson?

Redd's expiring+Delfino+Next years 1st round pick for Jefferson

Jennings
Salmons
Maggette
Jefferson
Bogut

6th man: CDR

howiend
07-01-2010, 12:07 AM

would love to see it (even though i'm a diehard twolves fan)

BkOriginalOne
07-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Maybe they can move Redd for Elton Brand

Swashcuff
07-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Maybe they can move Redd for Elton Brand

as a philly fan id welcome that

TheBomb255
07-01-2010, 12:10 AM
I love to see a legit reason why Bulls fans think the Bucks won't be a Top 5 team in the East this year.

They won 46 games last year, and went on a tear when they added Salmons. He might not be the best outside shooter, but he did shoot nearly 39-40% from the 3 PT last year.

Add the fact that Ersan should continue to develop, they got much better depth, and add the fact that they got Maggette while giving up Charlie Bell and Danny G, they are a better team then last year.

frankn88
07-01-2010, 12:15 AM
i agree...but we NEED a backup PG and C....NEED NEED NEED....delfino jennings cdr salmons ersan can hit some threes our attack the basket up tempo game would be great as well

LTBaByyy
07-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Dont forget they drafted Larry Sanders, Jerome Jordan, Tiny Gallon, and SG Hobson from New Mexico

Great Depth and Redd is most likely leaving

Kakaroach
07-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Wow I'd be pretty surprised if they got this done, thats certainly a crowded wing situation though.

thornga2
07-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Bulls fans think Salmons sucks. I've noticed that. But he was great for the Bucks last year. Shot well from outside and got to the foul line, plus he was he played solid D. He fit into what Skiles wanted to do very well last season, and I don't see Corey Maggette changing that. Whoever said that he and Maggette are basically the same player is way off. Salmons has been a very good 3 point shooter the last two seasons, and shoots a solid percentage overall. He isn't a star, but he is a solid starting shooting guard who does a lot of stuff pretty well. I think he and Maggette have very nice complimentary games.

Whoever suggested adding Al Jefferson, I think that's a terrible idea for a team that already has Jennings, Bogut, Salmons (assuming they get a deal done), Maggette, and Douglas Roberts, and Delfino on the team. Lot's of guys who like to shoot. The PF spot needs to be a guy who gets garbage buckets and works hard on D. Mbah Moute and Larry Sanders will probably battle it out for this spot as both fit the bill, or if they trade for someone possibly Okafor. I honestly think Ersan may be on the way out. They needed his offense last year, but with their offseason additions, they really just need defense and rebounding from the PF spot.

frankn88
07-01-2010, 12:24 AM
i agree ....i think ersan could be on the move if we get salmons....we need that banger to pair with bogut down low

LTBaByyy
07-01-2010, 12:24 AM
i agree...but we NEED a backup PG and C....NEED NEED NEED....delfino jennings cdr salmons ersan can hit some threes our attack the basket up tempo game would be great as well

Jerome Jordan?

TheBomb255
07-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Jordan got traded to the Knicks. It's offical, once Maggette passes his physical.

Canterbury
07-01-2010, 12:31 AM
@Bucks Fans

Did Salmons play primarily SG or SF for you guys? I remembered that he was complete baller with us as a SF but meh as a SG before we traded him to you guys. Anyways, it would be a decent resign.

TheBomb255
07-01-2010, 12:31 AM
He played SG. Delfino played SF.

arkanian215
07-01-2010, 12:36 AM

Who was sometimes used as a PF. Maggette played all over the place for Nellie. It's nice to have some versatility.

arkanian215
07-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Michael Redd won't play for the Bucks at all this coming season. He ruins the chemistry on the floor, and they'll probably just tell him to stay home. He's going to be a really good trade piece at the deadline, so they'll ship him off then.

Would they really want 15(?) million back in long term contracts? I wonder if ownership can afford that.

LTBaByyy
07-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Jordan got traded to the Knicks. It's offical, once Maggette passes his physical.

WHAT?!?!?! WOw. Bad tradeIm not saying Jordan is Dirk
but the Bucks did trade Dirk to the mavs for Robert "Tractor" Taylor
before even watching dirk play a game for them!!

You never know, bc Jordan will get a lot of playing time for the Knicks next year maybe he can be a stable center in a few years

TheBomb255
07-01-2010, 12:41 AM
I believe the trade was made before the draft even started. They just called and asked who the knicks wanted to draft, and they made the pick for them.

Mplsman
07-01-2010, 12:41 AM
**** I wanted Salmons.

robdog_5
07-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Salmons is a good player, but him and Maggette are scorers and scorers only. Neither guy moves the ball well, and both try to get the the basket to score, you get to many of those and your going to have problems. Not enough passing, not enough shooting.

soxnfins
07-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Salmons is a good player, but him and Maggette are scorers and scorers only. Neither guy moves the ball well, and both try to get the the basket to score, you get to many of those and your going to have problems. Not enough passing, not enough shooting.

BJ3 will balance that all out.

ldc62
07-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Wow not Lebron/Wade/Bosh news. But really Bucks have Corey, no need to resign.

soxnfins
07-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Would they really want 15(?) million back in long term contracts? I wonder if ownership can afford that.

Well, Redd is a 17.8M expiring this year and if he sits on the bench for the whole season insurance covers 80% of his salary.... So the Bucks would only be responsible for 3.5M of his salary.

Mplsman
07-01-2010, 01:00 AM
I wonder how much they'll re-sign him for?

Allstar21
07-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Redd for oakafor? sounds good

Jennings
Salmons
Magette
Oakfor
Bogut
Bench - CDR and Delfino

Apophis
07-01-2010, 01:12 AM
The Milwaukee Bucks are making progress on a deal that would bring back free agent John Salmons a source close to the process told ESPN.com.

While the source stressed that the two sides have yet to reach a verbal agreement and are still discussing parameters, they believe they have a chance of closing a deal on Thursday.

Salmons exercised a player opt out on his contract last week. The Bucks responded by making deals for Corey Maggette and Chris Douglas-Roberts on draft day. It was widely assumed that the two deals were a signal that the team was moving on.

However this development suggests that the Bucks remain serious about putting together a team that could make another serious run at the playoffs. The Bucks were a sixth seed in the Eastern Conference last season despite losing center Andrew Bogut to a season ending injury. The combination of Bogut, Brandon Jennings, Maggette and Salmons would put them in an even stronger position next year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17342/bucks-fishing-for-salmons

Mplsman
07-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Bucks are lookin good this off season.

Young2Kinsler
07-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Dallas will take Redd for Butler and Carrol

Catfish1314
07-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Depending on how much progress Jennings makes over the summer, the Bucks could make some noise in the playoffs next year.

Brew Crew
07-01-2010, 01:43 AM
I honestly think Ersan may be on the way out. They needed his offense last year, but with their offseason additions, they really just need defense and rebounding from the PF spot.

You must be crazy, clearly you have not watched Ilyasova then...No way is he on the way out, he's like 22-23 and has continued to get better since being drafted. He's also a great rebounder and does play alright defense, just a good amount of work on the inconsistency is needed.

Also, Redd will get the TMAC treatment.

And I don't understand why people think this deal would conflict with getting Maggette...

Jennings/
Salmons/CDR
Maggette/Delfino
Mbah a Moute/Ilyasova/Sanders
Bogut/

We'll have at least two decent options at the SG, SF, and PF positions. Bogut and Jennings shouldn't need much time off, but the Bucks should be looking to resign Ridnour and Thomas..

zbmwkbrdr16
07-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Sorry to say but this is not good news....I know everyone is gonna say I'm crazy but Salmons has been a second season slump for the teams that hes been traded to the previous season. Look at when Salmons was traded from Sacramento to Chicago....he then exploded for Chicago and made a huge impact in the playoffs. The following season for the bulls? Rough to say the least as he scored only 10-12 a game for a starting shooting guard. Then he gets traded to Milwaukee at the deadline and becomes the Bucks savior and scores 20 a game...so where does that put him for his second season with the Bucks? I love Salmons as much as the next guy but this does not seem like the smartest move.

Catfish1314
07-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Sorry to say but this is not good news....I know everyone is gonna say I'm crazy but Salmons has been a second season slump for the teams that hes been traded to the previous season. Look at when Salmons was traded from Sacramento to Chicago....he then exploded for Chicago and made a huge impact in the playoffs. The following season for the bulls? Rough to say the least as he scored only 10-12 a game for a starting shooting guard.

That only happened once...

In fact, he only got better in Sacramento. He was great for the Bulls except for his last half season there. You say he goes through second season slumps like it's happened with every team he's been with. He's only played for four teams and it's happened once.

zbmwkbrdr16
07-01-2010, 02:18 AM
yeah but I feel like there is way too much risk in signing this guy to say a 3 or 4 year deal and then have him become an expensive bench player (Bobby Simmons)

bredsox33
07-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Salmons is a solid player but they shouldn't overpay after trading for Maggette and CDR. I wouldn't go further than 2 years to keep him, so they can keep their 2012 cap room intact. Milwaukee isn't the most pleasing destination, but I could see someone wanting to play with Bogut and Jennings. It's always good to keep your options open.

Tony_Starks
07-01-2010, 03:13 AM
Depending on how much progress Jennings makes over the summer, the Bucks could make some noise in the playoffs next year.

Thats what I was thinking. Especially if Redd can return anywhere near to form then him on the wing is going to really open up the floor for Jennings. Fear the deer!

soxnfins
07-01-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

5 yrs, 39M... An ok deal. BUT WOW SALMONS IS BACK!!!!! Jennings, Salmons, Maggette, Gooden, Bogut!!!

And we can still deal Redd's 17M expiring :).

S-Dot
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

5 yrs, 39M... An ok deal. BUT WOW SALMONS IS BACK!!!!! Jennings, Salmons, Maggette, Gooden, Bogut!!!

And we can still deal Redd's 17M expiring :).

and a solid bench with CDR, Luc Richard Buah m..(the guy from UCLA), and Larry Sanders who I think will help instantly. John Hammond is the man right now.

C-Dub
07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
and dont forget about drew gooden! holy crap the bucks got like the best offseason in a LONG time!!

soxnfins
07-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Wonder what we can get for Redd.......

Kakaroach
07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Wow so they did manage to keep him, big props to Hammond, he has had a pretty good off-season.

Carey
07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
5 for 39, nice signing, The Bucks are putting a pretty good team together.

ManRam
07-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Hollinger on ESPN.com's Free Agency chat right now says there is no reason at all to doubt this rumor. I believe it too.

And I like it a lot for Milwaukee. Salmons is very, very underrated. He's a great player.

Giannis94
07-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Sig quote

Raidaz4Life
07-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Bucks looking to make a splash early

jtrinaldi
07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
FTMFD
Brandon Jennings>Lebron

Giannis94
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
@Bucks Fans

Did Salmons play primarily SG or SF for you guys? I remembered that he was complete baller with us as a SF but meh as a SG before we traded him to you guys. Anyways, it would be a decent resign.

Salmons was mainly SG but when Skiles brought in 2 Pg's he played SF, with Ersan and Bogut/whoever. Skiles didnt have a true SF last year. He tried a bunch of options but none were efficent for long, they were streaky.

Brew Crew
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Brandon Jennings>Lebron

Don't do this....please...

I'm just hoping we don't turn into the Mariners of the NBA...

Getting these guys doesn't guarantee us anything. I just hope that Skiles roll with the Bucks doesn't fade like it did with the Bulls.

R cool J
07-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Michael Redd anyone?

Michael Redd is done...i doubt he'll be able to come back from 2 major knee surgeries on the same knee...probably the reason they traded for maggette, that and a back up plan in case they couldn't resign salmons.

Kakaroach
07-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Michael Redd could end up being the Tracy McGrady trade chip of next season. If any teams are that desperate for cap space.

soxnfins
07-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Michael Redd could end up being the Tracy McGrady trade chip of next season. If any teams are that desperate for cap space.

^^^ This.

soxnfins
07-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Michael Redd is done...i doubt he'll be able to come back from 2 major knee surgeries on the same knee...probably the reason they traded for maggette, that and a back up plan in case they couldn't resign salmons.

Still can be a major trade chip. If Redd sits, insurance covers 80% of his salary, so anyone who'd want to deal for him would only be responsible for about 3.5M and some change.

AI4MVP
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
the bucks are really looking like one of the deepest teams in the nba. im happy for my boy brandon jennings

Bucks24226
07-01-2010, 02:34 PM
rofl!!!!
I will remind u we were #5 in the east this year, without Bogut to end the season.:cool:

Melo15
07-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Good move by the Bucks

Swashcuff
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM

looking more and more like this statement will be true. Its early still so they may still have a few more moves up their sleaves.

magichatnumber9
07-01-2010, 02:49 PM
This is great news for Bucks fans. Unless they are subject to the John Salmons 2nd year curse.

Mell413
07-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I like this deal for Milwaukee. Bucks might be able to make a run at the 4 seed in the East.

C-Dub
07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
pshhh i think they got top 3 for sure if they get a good backup pg, it kinda depends on where everyone goes tho

ValuePick
07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
FTMFD
Brandon Jennings>Lebron

QFT

John Hammond is a genius.

Kakaroach
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
If the Bucks do end up getting the 3rd or 4th seed, Hammond could win GM of the year again with his moves.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
The Bucks are quickly becoming very very overrated. Someone already said it they are becoming the Mariners of the NBA offseason.

Dee_Edge
07-01-2010, 03:21 PM

You're looking at a new Bucks fan now!
..."the Deer" is shaping up rather AWESOMELY!

jtrinaldi
07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
still gotta resign Ridnour, as well as get a veteran center who could play around 15-18 minutes a game. I wouldnt mind giving Jermain O'neal a chance to play here.
Once we get a back up/vet pg and center then we can talk about how far they are gonna go.
FTMFD

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
^no not top 3 unless boston n cleavland fall apart but than if they sign with chi or miami we could still only grab the 4

the bucks also signed drew gooden today to help at pf n back up bogut

also with the bucks spending like 70 some million today i could see them keeping redd's contract for the whole yr n jus let him ride the pine so therefore it can help pay for these 2 guys next year plus we'd still have like 3 mill left over which is nice

there is also a log jam of players in mil at the 2,3,4 positions i wouldnt be suprised to see a trade in the near future to clear up some room

Derick713
07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
The Bucks are going to have to make a deal to reduce their glut at SG/SF

Brandon Jennings/Jerry Stackhouse/
Michael Redd/Corey Maggette/Chris Douglas-Roberts
John Salmons/Ersan Ilyasova/Carlos Delfino/
Drew Gooden/Luc Mbah a Moute/Larry Sanders
Andrew Bogut/Darington Hobson/ Darnell Jackson/

PrettyBoyJ
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Drew Gooden 5 yrs 32 mil?? dont think he's worth it.. and I think signing salmons with Maggette will take a lot of pressure on Jennings to score alot which lead him to throw up bad shots.. He can worry bout running the team and bringing them back to the playoffs for a 2nd st8 season..

Brew Crew
07-01-2010, 04:33 PM
The Bucks are quickly becoming very very overrated. Someone already said it they are becoming the Mariners of the NBA offseason.

That was me...But I said I hope they don't end up being like them...

still gotta resign Ridnour, as well as get a veteran center who could play around 15-18 minutes a game. I wouldnt mind giving Jermain O'neal a chance to play here.
Once we get a back up/vet pg and center then we can talk about how far they are gonna go.
FTMFD

We can sign Ridnour, but that'll be it. We have to get him on the Larry Bird thing but that'll be the only way...Our backup Center is most likely Gooden. He'll need to be, that way we can get him on the floor and still use our other PF's.

Brandon Jennings/Jerry Stackhouse/
Michael Redd/Corey Maggette/Chris Douglas-Roberts
John Salmons/Ersan Ilyasova/Carlos Delfino/
Drew Gooden/Luc Mbah a Moute/Larry Sanders
Andrew Bogut/Darington Hobson/ Darnell Jackson/

Where the hell did you get this line-up?

Brandon Jennings/Back up
John Salmons/CDR/Carlos Delfino/Corey Maggette
Corey Maggette/Mbah a Moute/Carlos Delfino/CDR/Ersan Ilyasova
Drew Gooden/Mbah a Moute/Ersan Ilyasova/Larry Sanders
Andrew Bogut/Drew Gooden

zambo4president
07-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Have fun in Milwaukee John :laugh:

MU and UW Fan
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Would love to bring back Ridnour if we have the cap space, another vet. big man, and also a 3 point shooter. that hurt us last year a lot. If all this were to happen then the Bucks will be a very scary team.

Brew Crew
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Have fun in Milwaukee John :laugh:

And you have fun sitting behind us in the standings

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-01-2010, 04:40 PM
kurt thomas???? n rids n maybe a trade to clean up some room n minutes n were set for the seatson im so pumped cant wait

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM

x2:clap:

C-Dub
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
^ x3

zambo4president
07-01-2010, 04:46 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thread of the day, thanks for the pick me up guys. I will give you this though, that CDR move was very smart.

HouRealCoach
07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I remember when everyone thought the Bucks would be a top 4 East team when they had Bogut, Redd, Jefferson, Sessions, Villanueva... But this season will depend on how much Bogut and Jennings improves as a duo

Bogut is so underrated in this league

Brew Crew
07-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I remember when everyone thought the Bucks would be a top 4 East team when they had Bogut, Redd, Jefferson, Sessions, Villanueva... But this season will depend on how much Bogut and Jennings improves as a duo

I for one did not. Everyone knew there was zero defense on that team...and we weren't coached by Skiles. But you are exactly correct on Bogut and Jennings...I do hope Jennings keeps finding Bogut. I don't want to see Salmons and Maggette shooting all day.

Catfish1314
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Drew Gooden 5 yrs 32 mil?? dont think he's worth it.. and I think signing salmons with Maggette will take a lot of pressure on Jennings to score alot which lead him to throw up bad shots.. He can worry bout running the team and bringing them back to the playoffs for a 2nd st8 season..

You're right, Gooden is not worth that.

But what does the second part mean? If anything, having Maggette and Salmons will take pressure off Jennings and create more opportunities for him.

Bucks24226
07-01-2010, 06:10 PM
^ x3

x4

uptownfan
07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I could see the Bucks winning 50 games next year. If Skiles can get Maggette and Gooden to play defense next year, watch out.

Ollie Tabooger
07-01-2010, 06:38 PM
x4

x5

0nekhmer
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
salmons basically helped the bucks get in the playoffs after a horrible first half of a season

MU and UW Fan
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
anyone know how much cap space the bucks have left and if there is any chance Luke Ridnour will be back?

Brew Crew
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
anyone know how much cap space the bucks have left and if there is any chance Luke Ridnour will be back?

We can Larry Bird him...That's pretty much it.

The Raven
07-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Watch him carry them to a championship. Guaranteed