1991-92 xxxxxxxxxxxxx NBA $3,250,000
1992-93 xxxxxxxxxxxxx NBA $4,000,000
1993-94 xxxxxxxxxxxxx NBA $4,000,000
1994-95 xxxxxxxxxxxxx NBA $3,850,000
1995-96 xxxxxxxxxxxxx NBA $3,850,000
1996-97 xxxxxxxxxxxxx NBA $30,140,000
1997-98 xxxxxxxxxxxxx NBA $33,140,000

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html
To win championships in any sport there are countless examples of players taking less than the maximum they could be paid in order to build a quality team

Anyone know whose stats those are??

Michael Jordan's

Micheal Jordan's networth - 525 million
http://knowyournetworth.com/michael_jordan_net_worth.html

People need to stop saying that the top tier free agents would never leave any money on the table. These people don't understand the economics of building winning teams. Super bowl winning quarterbacks have taken pay cuts because they know winning pays more than losing in the future...no matter what your current contract is.

Lebron wants to be a BILLIONAIRE athlete....not a 120mil athlete (or watever the max contract is now)....his contract only gets him 1/10th of the way there. Giving up 1, 2, 5 million a year to win championships would be a really wise investment.

Do people really think that if Bosh is paid a few more million than Wade to play in Miami that Wade wouldn't be OK with that. Wade would leave in this situation!?!? People have said that this somehow upsets leadership, or will make players jealous of each other. I call bullcrap! Most teams the leadership comes from veterans...veterans that are often playing for comparably tiny contracts.

These players all played with each other on the Olypmics....and everyone on the team agreed that if the game was on the line Kobe would be the man with the ball. No matter what combo of players goes to what teams at what size contracts....the best player will be the goto guy at crunch time.

People need to stop saying that Wade or Lebron won't go place X or place Y because they can only afford 2 max FAs instead of 3. It would be an unwise economic decision to take the max on a team that isn't guaranteed to win. Losing will always be more costly for players like Lebron or Wade than taking less than the maximum.

its to early and i haven't slept :(
I guess wat i am trying to say is that its a bad economic decision for Lebron or Wade to take a max contract. A max contract would not give the team the flexibility to go out and get other players with the cap room they would save by not giving him the max.

Kyben36
06-30-2010, 06:49 AM
your hole argument is on how Michael Jordon didnt take max, yet he made over 30 mil in his last 2 years ???

Also, I have no idea what your talking about bosh getting paid more than wade either, never even heard of that.

to your statement, could lebron take less to play with better players, sure, will he, probably not. why should he either, he is the best player in the league, and should be paid as so.

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 07:11 AM
to your statement, could lebron take less to play with better players, sure, will he, probably not. why should he either, he is the best player in the league, and should be paid as so.

Not if he is smart...taking less than the max and winning would payoff more than taking the max and losing

Max contracts can cripple teams...tie their hands behind their back...a smart player knows that a TEAM wins game not a few max players

Does lebron deserve to be paid the most?...prolly
Would it be a smart decision for Lebron to sign a max contract?....NO!

your hole argument is on how Michael Jordon didnt take max, yet he made over 30 mil in his last 2 years ???
How did the bulls do in 99 and after? Lots of championships right?....Playoff wins???

Also, I have no idea what your talking about bosh getting paid more than wade either, never even heard of that.
Ric Bucher is talking about it on ESPN right now...Bosh wants S&T

Im not talking about any players other than Lebron or Wade (or Dwight Howard if he was a FA now)...these players won't make the majority of their money from basketball contracts. They will make it from endorsements and other businesses (restaurants etc)

magichatnumber9
06-30-2010, 07:29 AM
I see Lebron taking 14 and Bosh taking 13 million. That would be crazy right.

mynameismo
06-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Lebron James or Dwayne Wade is not Michael Jordan.

You have a point that signing Max hinders the team's financial flexibility but do you really think the Free Agents care?

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Lebron James or Dwayne Wade is not Michael Jordan.

You have a point that signing Max hinders the team's financial flexibility but do you really think the Free Agents care?

Care about what?
Making the most money possible?...Not signing a max contract, I believe, would lead to a greater overall sum of money for Lebron or Wade if it can help lead one of them to a championship

mynameismo
06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Care about what?

Care about the Team's financial flexibility after they sign with them. Realistically, it's the management's problem, not theirs.

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Care about the Team's financial flexibility after they sign with them. Realistically, it's the management's problem, not theirs.

ummm...i don't think Lebron or Wade are that stupid

It's not my problem that we can't afford anybody else! Nooo it's managements problem
Realistically if Wade or Lebron take less money, so they can get better complementary players it would be in their best interest

S-Dot
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
It's a new day and age. Because Jordan and his agent negotiated those humungous contracts for him and other players in the late 90s, players expect to receive big money for their services. Jordan played over 10 years ago if you don't count his time with the Wizards. Alot has changed as far as salaries since then.

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 04:47 PM
that is true but i doubt that Jordan would taken that money if he didn't know already that he would have a team of quality players around him

THE MTL
06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Michael Jordan made 30 million dollars per year in his last two seasons!!! Thats like an entire cap back then! The NBA was different along with the structure of contracts/cap space. Now basketball is completely global and money flows massively into the league. Would u rather have all that extra money go into greedy owners and Stern's pocket? Cause that money is going somewhere.

He was more than worth it though!!!

Just like Lebron James, Wade are WORTH more than a maximum (16.5 million contract). They should be making like 20 million per year.

plpfctn
06-30-2010, 05:00 PM
if lebron and bost can only make 15 mil in miami, then they won't go. that's my prediction. lebron wants to win. but for bosh the most important thing is getting paid. bosh will definitely not be in miami

HiphopRelated
06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Jordan got caught up in a sh1tty 7 year deal, he didn't sign something to win titles

cheerio
06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
With salaries increasing, temas feel they have to beat the highest salary to get teh best players. Just part of inflation and player buying

Heater4life
06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Not if he is smart...taking less than the max and winning would payoff more than taking the max and losing

Max contracts can cripple teams...tie their hands behind their back...a smart player knows that a TEAM wins game not a few max players

Does lebron deserve to be paid the most?...prolly
Would it be a smart decision for Lebron to sign a max contract?....NO!

How did the bulls do in 99 and after? Lots of championships right?....Playoff wins???

Ric Bucher is talking about it on ESPN right now...Bosh wants S&T

Im not talking about any players other than Lebron or Wade (or Dwight Howard if he was a FA now)...these players won't make the majority of their money from basketball contracts. They will make it from endorsements and other businesses (restaurants etc)

Well i sure hope my team is crippled for the next 5-6 yrs paying Lebron-Wade-Bosh the max contract. :laugh:

beasted86
06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Jordan got caught up in a sh1tty 7 year deal, he didn't sign something to win titles

:clap:

I think these young cats just look up stuff in basketball reference then draw their own random conclusions not knowing anything about the history of the league.

That's the way the collective bargaining agreement trapped rookies back then. 7 year deals at laughable money. Look at every player from the early 80s to early 90s and you'll all see they made this same dismal money. Barkley, Ewing, Drexler, Isiah, Bird, Olajuwan, Reggie, etc... look them all up. None of them made over $4M a season in their prime.

Contracts just sucked... Jordan didn't take any less.

LA_Raiders
06-30-2010, 05:11 PM
ok

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
:facepalm:
this thread isn't about Wade or Lebron's value...they are prolly worth way more than the max to any team

this is about the economics of building a championship team and that for these two being a champion will be more lucrative than a max contract because of endorsements and other outside revenue

If lebron takes the max in cleveland, the cavs will never be able to surround lebron with enough quality teammates....same goes for Wade in Miami

ChiSox219
06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Jordan signed the deal and then league revenues and salaries exploded. Rather than renegotiate the deal (why should he?) Reinsdorf paid Jordan 30 and 33 million as "back pay" essentially.

ABOMB_56
06-30-2010, 05:22 PM
You are correct in saying if Wad/Bron were smart they would take a little less than Max because it would allow the team to sign more quality players. If I were them, I would take less than max and probably sign for 10-12 million a year which would free up considerable amount of space.
However, we aren't in their situation. We aren't the ones who are considered the best basketball players on the planet. And, most importantly, we don't have that money sitting in front of us. I bet most of us, put in that situation, would take no less than max if we deserved it. This is a situation where you don't know what it feels like unless you have experienced it before

Kevj77
06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
That's the way the collective bargaining agreement trapped rookies back then. 7 year deals at laughable money. Look at every player from the early 80s to early 90s and you'll all see they made this same dismal money. Barkley, Ewing, Drexler, Isiah, Bird, Olajuwan, Reggie, etc... look them all up. None of them made over $4M a season in their prime.

Contracts just sucked... Jordan didn't take any less.Not only that, but it's only because of players like MJ, Magic, or Bird making the NBA what it is today that players now get these massive contracts.

Jordan never gave the Bulls a discount.

D1JM
06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
back then the max was like 5 mill. Now the league average is 5 mill

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
It would be hard to leave money on the table but take a look at the NFL. There are plenty examples of it happening (like Tom Brady a few years ago).

When has lebron ever said anything along the lines of wanting to be the highest paid player in the league? He doesn't care because he knows winning is more lucrative than taking a max and losing

ABOMB_56
06-30-2010, 06:03 PM
It would be hard to leave money on the table but take a look at the NFL. There are plenty examples of it happening (like Tom Brady a few years ago).

When has lebron ever said anything along the lines of wanting to be the highest paid player in the league? He doesn't care because he knows winning is more lucrative than taking a max and losing

He has publicly stated that he wants to be a billionaire athlete

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 08:49 PM
He has publicly stated that he wants to be a billionaire athlete

Did you even read the posts i made? seriously... Crippling a teams cap space with a max contract would hinder his goal of being a billionaire...not help

iam brett favre
06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
thats a good point actually. if lebron actually wants to be a billionaire being on a dynasty in the long run could get him there then making 2 mil more a year

ABOMB_56
06-30-2010, 11:17 PM
You are correct in saying if Wad/Bron were smart they would take a little less than Max because it would allow the team to sign more quality players. If I were them, I would take less than max and probably sign for 10-12 million a year which would free up considerable amount of space.
However, we aren't in their situation. We aren't the ones who are considered the best basketball players on the planet. And, most importantly, we don't have that money sitting in front of us. I bet most of us, put in that situation, would take no less than max if we deserved it. This is a situation where you don't know what it feels like unless you have experienced it before

Did you even read the posts i made? seriously... Crippling a teams cap space with a max contract would hinder his goal of being a billionaire...not help

Well there is my answer. Right now, sitting behind a computer screen and not being in there shoes, it may seem easy to take less, but you have to be in that situation to know what it feels like