PDA

View Full Version : Even if three star free agents sign on one team, LA is the team to beat

JayW_1023
06-30-2010, 04:54 AM
The Lakers will still be the best team in the NBA no matter what happens on the market. With all these franchise guys talking about joining forces, it still doesn't mean much. The last time alot of superstars joined the fold (that Laker team with Payton and Malone) it didn't work out so well.

And Kobe will relish the challenge of beating a team with, let's say a Wade, a LeBron or a Bosh. Who will bet against him to fail when he has proven this year that betting against him is na´ve.

The Lakers will be the best team regardless of what happens.

JPHX
06-30-2010, 04:56 AM
also cause they are the world champs.

dodie53
06-30-2010, 04:56 AM
yes.
they are still the team to beat.
they are the defending champs.

COBY KARL
06-30-2010, 05:51 AM
Yup. Like Bosh said, i just can't see him wade and lebron joining one team.
Boston won't be as strong as they were these past 3 years regardless if they resign Allen and Pierce.
And i can't see whatever team Lebron is joining to suddenly become contenders.

The only legitimate threat i see for the Lakers are the Magic who can improve this offseason. scary thought.

Kyben36
06-30-2010, 05:53 AM
1st, I dont see the top FA signing together, I could see something like

Wade Bosh and Maybe JJ and/or Rudy Gay, something like that. but still, you are right, the lakers are the team to beat, because nobody knows how those 3 will work out, how lebron would work out in chicago, how these coaches would do. LA is the proven team. nobody knows how these teams will fare, on paper, they look like gods, but on the court, it could be diferent.

stawka
06-30-2010, 06:22 AM
They are still the team to beat because they own the title of Champions until June next year. If LeBron/Bosh/Wade teamed up, it would be very ****ing scary - not just for now, but for the next 10 years.

And the excuse "Kobe loves a challenge" etc isn't gonna help him in the Finals - we saw game 7 of the Finals AT HOME against the team that is THE biggest rival - 25% shooting. If the others don't help, it's over - it's as simple as that. This is no longer a team with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown where Kobe has to take 50 shots

PraiseJesus
06-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Payton and Malone were on their last legs nearly washed up.

LeBron, Wade, and Bosh are all about to enter the prime of their careers. If the 3 of them team up it will be one of the best trios in NBA history. Perhaps the start of the new showtime in Miami. Youth, skill, athleticism, and unselfishness...

If Miami gets all 3 of those guys then free agents will flock to that team to fill holes and we are talking about a team that will contend for the next 8 years.

I disagree with the premise of this thread, the Lakers need to improve in order to be the team to beat.... that is if those 3 guys end up on the same team

R cool J
06-30-2010, 06:52 AM
why is this even being questioned???...the lakers are the back to back defending world champions...with the core guys coming back next year even healthier than they were this year...you can put jordan, magic, and bird on one team together it wouldnt matter...the lakers are the team to beat until someone knocks them off the throne...period!!!...i dont even wanna see another post after this one!!!!

COBY KARL
06-30-2010, 06:56 AM
why is this even being questioned???...the lakers are the back to back defending world champions...with the core guys coming back next year even healthier than they were this year...you can put jordan, magic, and bird on one team together it wouldnt matter...the lakers are the team to beat until someone knocks them off the throne...period!!!...i dont even wanna see another post after this one!!!!

blah

magichatnumber9
06-30-2010, 07:18 AM
I agree

daleja424
06-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Lakers are the team to beat bc they are the champs...

but the odds on favorite to win the title would be Miami if they got all three guys.

Kobe and Wade cancel out
Bosh and Gasol cancel out
Lebron James is infinitely better then the next best player...

bostncelts34
06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

LeBron, Wade, and Bosh are all about to enter the prime of their careers. If the 3 of them team up it will be one of the best trios in NBA history. Perhaps the start of the new showtime in Miami. Youth, skill, athleticism, and unselfishness...

If Miami gets all 3 of those guys then free agents will flock to that team to fill holes and we are talking about a team that will contend for the next 8 years.

I disagree with the premise of this thread, the Lakers need to improve in order to be the team to beat.... that is if those 3 guys end up on the same team

x4576457567 thank you

Look at the celtics big 3, when they combined they were at the latter end of their primes going downward shortly. In 08' they won, 09' game 7 2nd rd against orlando (no kg that year at all), and '10 game 7 of the NBA finals. Realistically, this team had a legit shot of winning 3 years in a row with the big 3. This year they did not have much of a supporting cast either so how can you say that a Lebron,Wade,Bosh would not be the team to beat?

mynameismo
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Team to Beat is always the defending Champions.

"Beat the champ to be the champ"

S-Dot
06-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Team to Beat is always the defending Champions.

"Beat the champ to be the champ"

Exactly. It doesn't particularly mean that they are the best team in that season, but they're indeed the team to beat.

NYK|NYY
06-30-2010, 08:22 AM
What about the grizzlies

MacFitz92
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Gary Payton and Karl Malone were out of their prime when they signed with the Lakers. I wouldn't call Bosh, LeBron, and Wade out of their prime...

magichatnumber9
06-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Gary Payton and Karl Malone were out of their prime when they signed with the Lakers. I wouldn't call Bosh, LeBron, and Wade out of their prime...
The other dream team. oh those were the days

JordansBulls
06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
The Lakers will still be the best team in the NBA no matter what happens on the market. With all these franchise guys talking about joining forces, it still doesn't mean much. The last time alot of superstars joined the fold (that Laker team with Payton and Malone) it didn't work out so well.

And Kobe will relish the challenge of beating a team with, let's say a Wade, a LeBron or a Bosh. Who will bet against him to fail when he has proven this year that betting against him is na´ve.

This is quite obvious. They were the team to beat in 2003 as well even though the Spurs had HCA.

PraiseJesus
06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I just heard Barkley comment on this and he made some good points. Even if these 3 guys team up they will still have their hands full with the Lakers. The main reason for this is that the Lakers are so big and long with Bynum and Gasol.

I admit this is the main reason that the Lakers are so good. People want to concentrate on stars so much but size and length is so undervalued by NBA fans its ridiculous.

If LeBron, Wade, and Bosh can also get a dominate defensive C to play with them then they will have a good chance. But if you look at the matchups the Lakers are still really strong.

Artest has shown that he can slow down LeBron and Pau is better than Bosh.

The interesting matchup for me is Kobe and Wade. I think Wade might be better than Kobe right now. When you think about Wade's defensive game it is much better than Kobe's.

It just dawned on me that Wade is better than Kobe. Wade kills him every time they play.

So yea, this is a long rambling post. Bottom line is that Miami would need a C like Camby, Shaq, or .... u get my point.

Russell_Roberts
06-30-2010, 08:59 AM
even if they do join a super team Their bench is going to be crappy.

beasted86
06-30-2010, 09:03 AM
As long as the Lakers are reigning back-to-back champs, they are for sure the team to beat....

But you'd be in for a big payday if you bet against "The Dream 3" in Vegas, because the odds would certainly NOT be in the Lakers favor.

beasted86
06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
I just heard Barkley comment on this and he made some good points. Even if these 3 guys team up they will still have their hands full with the Lakers. The main reason for this is that the Lakers are so big and long with Bynum and Gasol.

I admit this is the main reason that the Lakers are so good. People want to concentrate on stars so much but size and length is so undervalued by NBA fans its ridiculous.

If LeBron, Wade, and Bosh can also get a dominate defensive C to play with them then they will have a good chance. But if you look at the matchups the Lakers are still really strong.

Artest has shown that he can slow down LeBron and Pau is better than Bosh.

The interesting matchup for me is Kobe and Wade. I think Wade might be better than Kobe right now. When you think about Wade's defensive game it is much better than Kobe's.

It just dawned on me that Wade is better than Kobe. Wade kills him every time they play.

So yea, this is a long rambling post. Bottom line is that Miami would need a C like Camby, Shaq, or .... u get my point.

You make a point, but this idea downplays the how foul prone that 3 would make Bynum & Pau. Bynum is a good Center, and when he and Pau are on their top game, the Lakers are near unstoppable... but to put it very lightly, Pau & Bynum would have their hands full guarding Wade, LeBron, and Bosh.

We might see FTs every posessions down the court on some nights if these guys paired up.

J4KOP99
06-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Where is the team that signs these guys going to find any money to fill out their roster?

Jaji
06-30-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree, the Lakers are the team to beat. This potential new "super" team is going to need at least a year to gel. Meanwhile, the Lakers are established and Kobe is hungry for a 2nd 3peat just to prove he should be mentioned with Jordan. The key is Phil Jackson. If he comes back, LAL will win it again. If not, its pretty much wide open.

Unruly Fan
06-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Common sense.

Jamiecballer
06-30-2010, 09:37 AM

i'm sure this has already been pointed out but Malone and Payton were at the end of their careers not in their prime or approaching their prime like Bosh, LBJ and Wade.

DLeeicious
06-30-2010, 09:47 AM
lol

DC Laker
06-30-2010, 09:57 AM

but the odds on favorite to win the title would be Miami if they got all three guys.

Kobe and Wade cancel out

Wrong way to look at it...

Kobe and Wade cancel out... TRUE
Bosh and Gasol canel out... TRUE
LeBron is WAY better the Artest... TRUE
PLUS
BYNUM will dunk on whoever they could sign for a Minimium Contract! TRUE
ODOM Will run And-1 Type circles around the next Minimium Contract guy! TRUE
DEREK FISHER will hit more clutch shots then a Min Contract guy can hit playing NBA LIVE!!! TRUE

The Lakers are no lock to win it all again... but the Lakers are more then a team with 3 superstars... If these guys don't get a few bench players to come play for peanuts they will not beat the Lakers. A bench is more valuable then it may seem!

DMOB23
06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
OKay, um... Kobe and Wade don't cancel each other out. Kobe deffinitly wins, Pau and Bosh maybe but i think bosh has the upper edge. and yes theres lebron, but then the lakers do have bynum, artest, fisher and a solid bench, and kobe can never be stopped only slowed, Lebron can be stopped. So if all three do go to the same team they will be the team to beat, but lakers would still be the champs

dnewguy
06-30-2010, 10:28 AM

Kobe and Wade cancel out

Wade>Kobe in all facets of the game. Although Kobe makes 1 out of 5 tough shots, people say he's good cos of the difficulty of the shot he makes, and they quickly forget that he missed the last 5 shots.

Melo15
06-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Wade>Kobe in all facets of the game. Although Kobe makes 1 out of 5 tough shots, people say he's good cos of the difficulty of the shot he makes, and they quickly forget that he missed the last 5 shots.

:eyebrow:

DaBUU
06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
I agree, the Lakers are Champions until someone beats them.

Melo15
06-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I really don't think that Wade, LeBron and Bosh can coexist on the same team. You only play with one basketball and with all three guys entering their primes I highly doubt they want to give up shots for one another. I think they would work very well together during the regular season but once playoff time comes around whose taking the shot at the buzzer? Well whoever does take it I know that 2 of the 3 will not be very happy about it.

The talent with those 3 playing together is amazing to think about but theres just no way I see it working. They still would need a solid center to compete and a decent point guard. They would have no depth either, my opinion is that those 3 playing together just wouldn't work.

ballpd05
06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
The difference in the Wade, Lebron, Bosh deal is that Andrew Bynum and Gasol are still long armed seven footers who make it hard to get to the rim consistently.

That and I think Pau Gasol would eat Bosh alive. Kobe cannot out shoot both Lebron and Wade. In the past he has had trouble out performing one of them at a time.

ballpd05
06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
The lakers with Bynum and Gasol would still have the best Frontcourt in basketball with maybe only Yao and Luis Scola even in the conversation.

showtym24
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Obviously. And it would just add fuel to kobe. And not to mention we're actually gonna have a bench next season. But at the end of the day i dont see it happening.

Chronz
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Didnt Payton and Malone take down the defending champs, only to fall apart physically before the finals.Why do people always point to GP and Karl Malone as a failure?They improved,got to the finals,and couldve won had they been healthy. Thats not my idea of a failure.

Anyways, no, 3 superstars in their prime would make them my pick for the next 5 years.

rockets-fan
06-30-2010, 01:29 PM
just a thought...and can some one make this a poll? i dont know hoe.

which team WITH bosh in it after this offseason will be a greater threat to the lakers?

Chicago
Miami
New York
New Jersey
Houston(S&T)

now this is with only bosh...no lebron,jj,ect.

mia305king
06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Houston

jtrinaldi
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Milwaukee is gonna trade Luc Bah Moute and both of next years second round picks for bosh...thus making them the greatest team ever.

Tony_Starks
06-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't care if all the free agents assemble like Voltron... they still have to go through the Lake show. Imagine if they all get together and STILL lose to the Lakers? That would be epic!

RaiderLakersA's
06-30-2010, 02:27 PM

Shhhh...don't tell anyone! Loose lips sink ships! Championships, that is.

We want everyone to be so caught up in the LeBron. Bosh, Wade hysteria that they don't see us quietly going about our way, retooling our primary weakness (ie., the bench).

Before they catch on to us it will be too late!!!

Muhahahahahaha!

blams
06-30-2010, 02:33 PM

Uh, no. That will not be the case at all. LeBron, Bosh and Wade. LeBron is better than Kobe. Bosh is better than any other player on the lakers, so is wade. And don't say "gasol" :facepalm:.

If 3 stars are on a team, with LeBron and Bosh being 2 of them, they are much better than the lakers.

RaiderLakersA's
06-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Kobe cannot out shoot both Lebron and Wade. In the past he has had trouble out performing one of them at a time.

Last I checked, there is only one ball on the court at a time. So Kobe doesn't have to outduel both of them. Put Artest on one of them, have whomever our PG is assist Kobe with the other. It's a team sport.

And no one on the Miami Heat roster right now even with LBJ, DW, and CB stops Pau, LO, a healthy Bynum AND Kobe in a 7 game series. That you can take to the bank.

RaiderLakersA's
06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Uh, no. That will not be the case at all. LeBron, Bosh and Wade. LeBron is better than Kobe. Bosh is better than any other player on the lakers, so is wade. And don't say "gasol" :facepalm:.

If 3 stars are on a team, with LeBron and Bosh being 2 of them, they are much better than the lakers.

It's statements like this one that makes me wish that Miami does indeed add LBJ, Wade and Bosh. Until we know, we'll never know.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
People are just getting so worked up about this because the team is the LAKERS! I bet if Boston won the championship, they're probably wouldn't even be a thread right now and to brandonlamana I'd take gasol over bosh anyday of the week!

shep33
06-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Last time I checked the Lakers were the back-to-back champs. Yes they are easily the team to beat still.

The scary thing about the Lakers is that they haven't even reached their potential yet. Bynum played on 1 leg in the playoffs, Artest doesn't know the offense, and LA had one of the worst benches in the league last year. Yes one of the worst.

If they add a couple role players with Farmar and Brown being gone, they'll likely be even better next year.

blams
06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Last time I checked the Lakers were the back-to-back champs. Yes they are easily the team to beat still.

The scary thing about the Lakers is that they haven't even reached their potential yet. Bynum played on 1 leg in the playoffs, Artest doesn't know the offense, and LA had one of the worst benches in the league last year. Yes one of the worst.

If they add a couple role players with Farmar and Brown being gone, they'll likely be even better next year.

:laugh: People are hilarious. They win the championship, so even though a team has 3 stars, 2 of them better than anyone besides kobe on the lakers, and one better than kobe, they are still the best. Stop being a homer, a team with LeBron, Bosh, and one more star IS better than the Lakers.

blams
06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
People are just getting so worked up about this because the team is the LAKERS! I bet if Boston won the championship, they're probably wouldn't even be a thread right now and to brandonlamana I'd take gasol over bosh anyday of the week!

Of course you would, you're a lakers fan. Bosh is stronger, faster, and better on offense.

R cool J
06-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Im sorry last i checked "GASOL" has more rings on his fingers than wade lebron and bosh do...gasol>bosh all day...bosh had turk, calderon, jjack, and the bargs...they still couldnt make the playoffs in the east!!!!!!!!!

homestarunner93
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM

This is so ridiculous. Malone and Payton weren't in their primes like these big-name FAs are. If LeBron-Wade-Bosh are on the same team, they are the team to beat. I don't care what the Lakers have won, that's two of the top 5 players in the NBA and another top 15-20 player.

also cause they are the world champs.

No they aren't, they're NBA Champs. The members of Team USA are World Champions. Hell, even Kobe Bryant said in an interview in South Africa that they weren't really "World Champs."

blams
06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Im sorry last i checked "GASOL" has more rings on his fingers than wade lebron and bosh do...gasol>bosh all day...bosh had turk, calderon, jjack, and the bargs...they still couldnt make the playoffs in the east!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: The ol' rings on his fingers argument. :facepalm: This doesn't even deserve a response.

JNA17
06-30-2010, 04:09 PM
:laugh: People are hilarious. They win the championship, so even though a team has 3 stars, 2 of them better than anyone besides kobe on the lakers, and one better than kobe, they are still the best. Stop being a homer, a team with LeBron, Bosh, and one more star IS better than the Lakers.

:facepalm:

blams
06-30-2010, 04:12 PM
:laugh:
Let's see

Rose, Lebron Bosh Noah> Lakers, easily

Wade, Lebron Bosh> Lakers

Harris, Lebron, bosh, Lopez>Lakers

Just because you win 2 consecutive championships does not mean you are the best until someone dethrones you. That is ignorant.

JNA17
06-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Of course you would, you're a lakers fan. Bosh is stronger, faster, and better on offense.

so why is gasol considered the best offensive big man in the game today :eyebrow: .

As for stronger, their both on that low status. Faster, well god i hope he is, otherwise it would not even be close that the edge is gasol

what54!?
06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
not doubt they are. back to back champs. until some beats them they are

JNA17
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
:laugh:
Let's see

Rose, Lebron Bosh Noah> Lakers, easily

Wade, Lebron Bosh> Lakers

Harris, Lebron, bosh, Lopez>Lakers

Just because you win 2 consecutive championships does not mean you are the best until someone dethrones you. That is ignorant.

what's ignorant is you making useless assumptions about what is better until it actually happens! The fact is, lakers are back-to-back champs. not fact: lebron, bosh and wade or other scenarios you put down. Fact: we have no idea how they will do if they did play together.

Your logic is failing miserably

shep33
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Nah LA still the team to beat, not based on homerism but based on respect. 2 in a row, plain and simple, give them the respect they deserve. I give it to the champs always, when Boston won in 08 they were the team to beat, the Lakers will have even bigger targets on their back, but still they're the champs. They are the team to beat.

I'm sticking with it, a healthy Lakers team with Andrew Bynum at 100% is still more deadly IMO. They got size, and are one of the best defensive teams in the league. Artest will understand the offense more next year, Kobe will be healthy, and they're gonna get a better bench in all likelihood.

Lakers got size and Kobe Bryant. They've proved that they're tough against the Celts and can play lockdown defense. Right now, regardless of what happens they're still the team to beat.

I'm not saying talent wise the Heat wouldn't be better, cause basically they're adding 3 of the top 10 players in the league. I think they'd be the faves in the east along with the Magic, but you can't claim to be champions until you defeat them.

LakersWinAgain
06-30-2010, 04:17 PM

I love shorting people like you in the stock market. You are so easily influenced by prevailing thought that you forget to look at the subtle details. You say that a team with 3 stars is better than 2...I would agree with you if this were 3ON3 and the game was 30 minutes.

The problem with your logic is: (1) you assume those three are better than the Laker 5 (doubtful, but for argument's sake, i'll give that one to you). You forgot about the other 2 starters the heat would have to sign (one of which is a center, which sign for a big premium in this league) and a bench. There is no way that the Heat will solidify their bench (versus Odom) let alone find 2 legitimate starters to go alongside your 3 stars.

The Lakers are too talented, long, and well-coached to lose to 3 players. Not to mention their core's chemistry is the best in the NBA.

Your argument states Wade>Kobe - - Laughable. I'm on not sure if you remember, but in February Kobe BROKE his finger and kept playing throughout the season. Prior to that he tweaked his knee...but played through it. Kobe had an accumulation of injuries that will have a chance to heal. Kobe will come out stronger for the 2010-2011 campaign than he did for his championship run. UH OH.

Bosh > Bynum - - Also laughable. On the offensive end, Bynum is as efficient (if not more so) than Bosh...if you don't believe me look at the box score of the times, LA played Toronto...and if you're a real fan (which I'm sure you're not), then you would have SEEN Bynum hold his own versus Bosh. If Bynum were the only player Bosh had to worry about, you would have an arguable point. The issue, however, is that you forgot about Pau...ANOTHER 7' who collects rebounds like kids collect candy on Halloween.

Lebron > Artest - - easily. Though Lebron might not score as much with Artest on him, he still facilitates the offense and creates plays off the ball (assists, rebounds, etc). But LA's defense can more than compensate for one player that might get loose on them.

The Lakers are STILL the team to beat, not least because they are the current champions, but because they have a core of talent that possesses chemistry, experience, and drive.

Da Knicks
06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
If you take Kobe off the Lakers they still could probably make the playoffs and maybe advance to the second round who knows maybe further. The team won game 7 with mr Frijol taking absurd shots and stopping the flow of their offense. Gasol is the best team player for them and Bynum is too long for most of the teams in the league. Fisher is always good come playoff time and Atrest is a pest on defense. Odom has the lenghth and handles to come in and disrupt the other teams sf or pf. The team is stacked and has a proven coach who can win despite players trying to be heroes...

The Raven
06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
No doubt they are. They have won back to back championships so until they are either knocked out of the playoffs or are beaten by another team in the finals, they are the team to beat no matter what happens in the off season

nanablvd
06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Absolutely right. The Lakers have earned the privilege to be called the best because they won it all. Unless the Lakers overhaul the bulk of their starters, they should be called the best team in the nba until somebody officially knocks them down. That's a privilege they deserve from all teams, all fans, even if there's a team with 5 superstars.

Storch
06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
x4576457567 thank you

Look at the celtics big 3, when they combined they were at the latter end of their primes going downward shortly. In 08' they won, 09' game 7 2nd rd against orlando (no kg that year at all), and '10 game 7 of the NBA finals. Realistically, this team had a legit shot of winning 3 years in a row with the big 3. This year they did not have much of a supporting cast either so how can you say that a Lebron,Wade,Bosh would not be the team to beat?

Because the celtics got lucky with the emergence of a superstar in rondo, and an incredible defensive role player in perkins. They had a great bench supporting cast and they had a little more flexibility in cap space.

Miami would need to resort to minimum wage players, it is not the same scenario. And mario chalmers is no rondo.

JDizzle
06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
yah they are still the team to beat. but last time when payton and malone went with shaq and kobe they got to the finals I wouldnt say it didnt work out they did lose but they made it to the final 2

DodgerBulls
06-30-2010, 05:26 PM

Umm can I say duhh??
Lakers is the defending champs.. to make it even sweeter, rumors are that the top FAs might all stay/go to the east.. so the Lakers window to go try 3peat is huge.

FrenchSunsFan
06-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Yes the Lakers are favorite to make the 3 peat.

Beat L.A:horse:

j0nyj0n
06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
LA is the team to beat. But i seriously worry more about the Thunder than the east coast dream team, because they'll have to get to the finals first.

Kakaroach
06-30-2010, 07:24 PM
LA is still the team to beat because the are the 2 time defending champs. Until someone beats them, thats what they'll be.

Tony_Starks
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM
I got news for the east, its not just LA. The West had 8 50+ win teams last year and could very well do it again this season. So whoever is coming out the West is going to be a problem for whatever free agent fantasy team that they can conjure up!

bagwell368
06-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Lakers arn't that great - after all they needed 23 fouls in the 4th on the Celts who had 17 all game long and an injured starting center, but, the point is true. The Coach is a bum, after all Doc who isn't that respected ran rings around him both times they met in the finals.

Several offensive players that play with the ball are a recipe for disaster.

_KB24_
06-30-2010, 07:47 PM
A team that has Wade and Bosh plus someone like a JJ or Boozer is better than a Wade, Bron, Bosh combo. If those 3 end up on the same team, it is going to be a bigger disaster than what happened in 04. Between Bron and Wade, whoever teams up with Bosh with another potential "mini" star, is going to be the biggest threat to the Lakers.

0nekhmer
06-30-2010, 07:50 PM
i'll admit you're right. With 3 superstars together, i'd probably keep them together in the 1st and 4th quarter

Human FlameShld
06-30-2010, 07:55 PM

I agree with 100% but for a different reason.

I believe the defending champs are the teams to beat until there is a new champ and the same applies for conference and division champs as well. I'd say the Celtics are the team to beat in the east until they don't win the east. That is my philosophy.

westcoastsoxfan
06-30-2010, 07:59 PM
The Lakers barely won the championship this year and Kobe only went 6 for 24 in game 7 against 3 guys in their mid 30's...sorry 4 guys in their mid 30's with Perk out...3 superstars in their mid 20's will crush his arthritic little finger...Kobe may be the greatest player in the NBA...but he is not invincible like all you Lakers fans believe...check that little bent index finger of his for further proof

LakersWinAgain
06-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Lakers arn't that great - after all they needed 23 fouls in the 4th on the Celts who had 17 all game long and an injured starting center, but, the point is true. The Coach is a bum, after all Doc who isn't that respected ran rings around him both times they met in the finals.

Several offensive players that play with the ball are a recipe for disaster.

Get this guy a tissue....he's still crying about the Boston Loss. Maybe if the Celts didn't COMMITT 23 fouls (and they committed far more in each of the first 3 quarters, but weren't whistled), they wouldn't be called for 23 fouls. They were fortunate the total was ONLY 23 fouls....it should have been much higher.

KB24PG16
06-30-2010, 08:08 PM

Kobe and Wade cancel out

makes sense on paper but it doesnt always work that way

phillyphan4
06-30-2010, 08:27 PM

Kobe and Wade cancel out

God I hope you are kidding with this statement

PBG
06-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Get this guy a tissue....he's still crying about the Boston Loss. Maybe if the Celts didn't COMMITT 23 fouls (and they committed far more in each of the first 3 quarters, but weren't whistled), they wouldn't be called for 23 fouls. They were fortunate the total was ONLY 23 fouls....it should have been much higher.

get this guy a tissue. hes STILL rubbing it out to the lake show winning again...

R cool J
06-30-2010, 08:50 PM
:laugh: The ol' rings on his fingers argument. :facepalm: This doesn't even deserve a response.

Doesn't deserve one, or you can't defend your theory of Bosh being superior to Gasol. Sounds like a cop out statement to me. What??, can't say anything cause Bosh can't even get his team to the playoffs. At least Gasol with a lesser talented team with the grizzlies made the playoffs 3 times in a much tougher Western conference.

Mavrix
06-30-2010, 10:00 PM
An OLD Payton and Malone does NOT equal a PRIME Bosh and Lebron...get real.

Lebron/Bosh/Wade > Jordan/Pippen/Rodman

rapsallday
06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
..seriously does that tandem scream championship

I think Kobe and Gasol destroy them better yet

better yet James and Verajao

CHItown_23
06-30-2010, 10:31 PM

dbeastly
06-30-2010, 10:35 PM
..seriously does that tandem scream championship

I think Kobe and Gasol destroy them better yet

Who is actually scared of a Demar Derozan Sonny Weems duo?.....Get out of here Raptors fan stop being so bitter b/c no one wants to play in Canada.

ILoveL.A2416
06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
YES! Totally agree. At the end of the day, It's our LAKERS that stand out as the best team in the NBA! LETS 3 PEAT!

dbeastly
06-30-2010, 10:37 PM
God I hope you are kidding with this statement

Are you claiming that Kobe is that much better than Wade. Oh wait you're from Philly, hometown pride:facepalm:

kArSoN RyDaH
06-30-2010, 10:55 PM
They are still the team to beat because they own the title of Champions until June next year. If LeBron/Bosh/Wade teamed up, it would be very ****ing scary - not just for now, but for the next 10 years.

And the excuse "Kobe loves a challenge" etc isn't gonna help him in the Finals - we saw game 7 of the Finals AT HOME against the team that is THE biggest rival - 25% shooting. If the others don't help, it's over - it's as simple as that. This is no longer a team with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown where Kobe has to take 50 shots

kobe admitted he forced shots that werent spose to even be shot. not to mention he has a broken index finger in the last game of a 100+ game season. no doubt it caught up to him. the lakers will recieve help with everyone coming back healthy. artest-banged up shoulder kobe-index finger, tweeked knee and ankle bynum-knee. along with a fast 3 pt shooting PG we will pick up this offseason we will be good.

Kobe and Wade cancel out

kobe> wade. bosh=gasol. lebron>artest. lakers bench n role players > miamis bench n role players. straight up.

An OLD Payton and Malone does NOT equal a PRIME Bosh and Lebron...get real.

Lebron/Bosh/Wade > Jordan/Pippen/Rodman

coming from the guy who thought the mavericks would get farther than the lakers in the playoffs. :facepalm:

kArSoN RyDaH
06-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Are you claiming that Kobe is that much better than Wade. Oh wait you're from Philly, hometown pride:facepalm:

kobe isnt "THAT MUCH" better. but he is better so it should be Kobe > Wade.

Mavrix
06-30-2010, 11:06 PM
kobe> wade. bosh=gasol. lebron>artest. lakers bench n role players > miamis bench n role players. straight up.

Best player on each team:

Lebron > Kobe

Second best player on each team:

Wade > Gasol (Bosh is better too)

Third best player on each team:

Bosh > Bynum/Artest

Kingz4L
06-30-2010, 11:21 PM

With all due respect to the Pistons, wasnt Malone injured in the finals...dont say something stupid like that kid!!

Cbast09
06-30-2010, 11:53 PM
The Heat would be the favorites. The no bench excuse gets old because FA's will line up to play for Miami. It would be a great match-up, while LA is still huge and powerful. Miami must get a good center or it might not work out right (although I think Riley will get it done).

boolish
06-30-2010, 11:54 PM

don't worry. the dream team isn't gonna happen.

RISE ABOVE
07-01-2010, 01:15 AM
First off let me say that I respect LeBron. He is a stat machine, but at this point I don’t see him having a heart of a champion & that extra element of a great leader. No matter where he ends up I don’t think that team will necessarily be ready to dethrone the Lakers or the other up-n-coming teams in the league. There are so many elements to a championship team – do the pieces fit together (egos, style of play, chemistry.) Is it wise to spend a huge percentage of the teams’ salary on 2-3 players and not have the ability to build a good supporting cast or the ability to sign your young emerging stars long term? (ex. Rose, Noah.)

Can LeBron even make it out of the East? Other teams getting better: There are so many solid guys out there who are looking at Eastern Teams with cap space. LeBron may have to battle a Wade plus either - (Bosh/Amare/Boozer). NY & NJ will get a lot better with all their $ to spend, there are still the Celtics if they resign Pierce & Allen, the Magic, etc.. Just getting out of the East is going to be tough.

The Lakers: It doesn’t matter who goes where – LA still have three seven footers (Lamar is technically 6-11) to play in the front court. No team can match that! Let’s look at the Bulls with LeBron… Bynum outweighs Noah 40-50 pounds. Gasol has 3-4 inches on Taj Gibson. Artest the D master would be on Bron. Kobe on who ever they sign, and Fish/(who ever the Lakers sign to start at point on Rose.)

Why the Lakers are still the team to beat no matter where Lebron goes:
1. Size – They’ll still have the biggest & very talented front. We have yet to see a healthy Bynum in the playoffs. If you followed the playoffs many commentators stated that Gasol is the most talented big (http://www.onemanfastbreak.net/2010/06/20/pau-gasol-the-best-big-man-in-the-nba/) the the game.
2. Experience – Back to Back championships and they have played together for many years. They have the chemistry. Kobe & Fish are two of the most experienced post-season players in the history of the NBA. (Not to mention that guy named Phil.)
3. Money – The Lakers are the Yankee’s of the NBA, they always bring in the biggest named free agents and always will. Players come for less money because they want to win. Even as Kobe gets older they’ll bring in the right guys.
4. Kobe - Love him or Hate him, in his 12 years as a starter he’s been to the finals seven times & won five. He makes the big shots when the moment arrives, he plays injured, and he continues to be one of the hardest workers in the league (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/388034-a-definitive-explanation-of-why-kobe-bryant-is-better-than-lebron-james).

Who else? Honestly Oklahoma may be the biggest challenge to LA. I agree with Kenny Smith (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Smith-In-three-years-Durant-will-be-the-best-?urn=nba,236321) that in a few years Durant may be better than Lebron. If Oklahoma adds a big man & in combination with Ibaka, Durant, and Westbrook all getting better – these guys could be the team to beat. Even though Lebron gets all the hype, Durant (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jy9UXG71iqosSPbMXh0OYi8Zyb0AD9GLQNT00) signing long term could be the biggest deal of the summer!

hugh1130
07-01-2010, 01:33 AM
i am sorry, you wrote this probably a pretty well written post but... stating the obvious?

who is the reigning champions?
who is the team to beat?

the answer to those two questions is always the same.

ee
07-01-2010, 01:42 AM
if you look about 10 post down, there's a similar thread, only difference is doesn't matter where bosh, wade and lebron goes....la is the team to beat...

of course, their the defending champs and will be keeping their core...

marlinsfan24
07-01-2010, 01:43 AM
I believe there's a thread about this already.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2010, 02:17 AM
:pity:in before close

The Final Boss
07-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Who's Lebron James?

MacFitz92
07-01-2010, 02:32 AM
It sounds like you're mad that nobody is talking L.A. and everyone is talking about FA.

SF25
07-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Duh, no matter what happens the defending champ in any sport is ALWAYS the team to beat unless they somehow become terrible during the offseason.

iggypop123
07-01-2010, 02:53 AM
# 3 doesnt apply in fact the lakers are cutting costs down, otherwise they would be a great candidate for mike miller

plpfctn
07-01-2010, 03:00 AM
We Lakers fans get excited about championship parades. the rest of the nba and its fans get excited about free agency. Remember, PJ, who will return, wins in threes. next year will just be another lakers championship

kArSoN RyDaH
07-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Best player on each team:

Lebron > Kobe

Second best player on each team:

Wade > Gasol (Bosh is better too)

Third best player on each team:

Bosh > Bynum/Artest

you and i both know that that is not how it works. never will wade be on gasol or gasol on wade. its all about match ups and positions. thats how this league works and thats how incomplete teams that do good in the regular season are exposed in the playoffs. kobe >wade bynum/gasol> bosh lebron>artest

kArSoN RyDaH
07-01-2010, 04:26 AM
It sounds like you're mad that nobody is talking L.A. and everyone is talking about FA.

its more the fact to just remind everyone who the back to back champs are and that no matter what any team out there does or who they get they still have to go through the black mamba and bynum/gasol.

JayW_1023
07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
After this season I pretty much realized it's no use betting against Kobe Bryant *shrugs*