PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post: Nuggets "prepared to trade Melo rather than let him walk" as FA in 2011

Red222
06-30-2010, 03:25 AM
The Nuggets are pressing Carmelo Anthony for a long-term commitment, because if he declines a three-year, $65 million contract extension now on the table, the team must consider trading its leading scorer.

With an eye on how megastars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have held the league's competitive balance in their fickle hands and turned this summer's free-agency period into a three-ring circus, the Nuggets seem determined not to let Anthony do the same in Denver.

While their offer of a hefty contract extension proves the Nuggets hope Anthony will remain the face of the franchise for years to come, the team is prepared to trade Melo rather than let him walk as a free agent next summer, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.
http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_15405631
move if needed

29$JerZ
06-30-2010, 03:30 AM
Denver would want a kings ransom for Melo so I don't see it happening.

cmellofan15
06-30-2010, 03:31 AM
rather than let him walk as a free agent next summer

JPHX
06-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Melo aint goin no place.

Red222
06-30-2010, 03:32 AM
edit title plz

abe_froman
06-30-2010, 03:34 AM
be a hefty fee

The Raven
06-30-2010, 03:36 AM
no way in hell thats happening

iggypop123
06-30-2010, 03:38 AM
i think that would just about kill george karl

cmellofan15
06-30-2010, 03:50 AM
i think that would just about kill george karl

I hope not, I couldn't deal with Dantley for another year (it was only 19 games but it felt like a year)

IDB Josh M
06-30-2010, 03:51 AM
That's messed up ... no love. No love at all.

BULLSDROSE1
06-30-2010, 03:53 AM
Melo Not Going Anywhere

PHX2daDEATH
06-30-2010, 03:54 AM
only if Sarver had BALLS like Kroenke

ryder78c
06-30-2010, 03:57 AM
damn i would want melo on the blazers id give up batum,bayless,LA,Rudy and draft picks for melo but they want roy

Oden
Camby
Melo
Roy
Miller

Kyben36
06-30-2010, 03:57 AM
I would think its a posibility that he moves on, but its unlikely. HE will probably explore his options, but I doubt he actualy moves.

robdizzle3
06-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Come to LA big dog, you'd be welcome. I dont blame the Nuggets though, because they dont wanna end up like Cleveland will and does Melo see Denver ike Wade sees Miami?

Kyben36
06-30-2010, 04:22 AM
Can you realy blame the guy for looking though. they will never get fair value for him though.

kArSoN RyDaH
06-30-2010, 04:24 AM
come to LA!!! bynum +1 for melo? id do it..

DenButsu
06-30-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm not buying that the Nuggets FO is seriously entertaining the idea of trading Melo. I chalk it up to a negotiating tactic. But it's reported in the Denver Post (click here for the whole article) (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_15405631?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter), and attributed to "a source familiar with the negotiations", so who knows?

I still say the smart money, though, is on Melo extending through 2015 within the next month or so in order to secure a contract under the current CBA and avoid getting screwed by becoming a FA in the same summer when the NBA goes into lockout.

The Nuggets are pressing Carmelo Anthony for a long-term commitment, because if he declines a three-year, $65 million contract extension now on the table, the team must consider trading its leading scorer.

Trade Melo? Would the Nuggets really part ways with a 26-year-old forward in the prime of his NBA career? Denver might not have any choice.

With an eye on how megastars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have held the league's competitive balance in their fickle hands and turned this summer's free-agency period into a three-ring circus, the Nuggets seem determined not to let Anthony do the same in Denver.

While their offer of a hefty contract extension proves the Nuggets hope Anthony will remain the face of the franchise for years to come, the team is prepared to trade Melo rather than let him walk as a free agent next summer, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

kArSoN RyDaH
06-30-2010, 04:31 AM
merge with the other thread?

thephoenixson28
06-30-2010, 04:59 AM
He can be a replacement for grant hill.

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 05:28 AM
melo to NY or NJ!

VIP1349
06-30-2010, 05:31 AM
He hasn't really given any indication he really wants to go, so this is just a case of us seeing what's happening to poor Cleveland and trying to avoid that. If Melo' leaves the Nuggets die.

numba1CHANGsta
06-30-2010, 06:48 AM
hmm if Melo goes, and dirk, amare, boozer sign with a team on thr east, then that only leaves an old spurs team, and a young thunder and blazer team as the Lakers only true threat....do it Denver! ;)

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 07:16 AM
hmm if Melo goes, and dirk, amare, boozer sign with a team on thr east, then that only leaves an old spurs team, and a young thunder and blazer team as the Lakers only true threat....do it Denver! ;)

Utah too

magichatnumber9
06-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Melo is an enigma

Wizard of O's
06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
I think this is where Houston or Chicago (if they miss out on Bron/Bosh/whoever) could really clean up.

Both teams have assets to trade, Chicago has cap space, Houston has an owner with a massive checkbook who wants to win.

I don't see Chicago striking out.

But I think Houston could be alone this summer in talks for Carmelo Anthony or Danny Granger.

NYK|NYY
06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
We're already clearing cap space for 2011, the summer of Melo!

S-Dot
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
He's not leaving. They're not saying he's on the trading block; just that if he does decide to leave them in FA, they want to get something in return.

JordansBulls
06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_15405631?

Trade Melo? Would the Nuggets really part ways with a 26-year-old forward in the prime of his NBA career? Denver might not have any choice.

At a salary of $17 million, Anthony is committed to play for Denver during the upcoming season. But here's the rub. Anthony can opt out of his contract next summer, and free agency might appear all the more tempting after seeing the league-wide groveling James has instigated.

R_O_W_E
06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
We're already clearing cap space for 2011, the summer of Melo!

Melo would lose 10-15 Million doing that deal with a new CBA in place next summer. Why would he want to go play with Wilson Chandler & Danillo Gallinari? Denver is clearing off cap space as well similar to what Miami is doing with Wade. Kenyon Martin expires at the end of next season, and Billups & Nene expire the season afterwards. Denver could put some good younger players around Melo very soon.

BigBanger
06-30-2010, 10:04 AM
If you are the Denver front office, why come out and let this slip to the media?

Are they upset Melo didn't jump right away at their offer? Now you are alienating your best player - and for what?

Come on - he's not going anywhere.

VIP1349
06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
If you are the Denver front office, why come out and let this slip to the media?

Are they upset Melo didn't jump right away at their offer? Now you are alienating your best player - and for what?

If you lived in Denver you wouldn't even be surprised by this type of stuff any more.

We are not letting Melo' go, but if anyone wants to send us something for JR we'd be happy to take it.

Lo Porto
06-30-2010, 10:15 AM
It's a smart move by Denver. It's better to get a bunch of young talent for him than just watch him walk for nothing. By the time next summer comes around, the next best player on the team will be a spent up Billups. If Melo leaves for nothing, Denver is really hurting.

All you western conference fans - Denver isn't stupid enough to trade Melo within the conference. If they trade him, they'd send him East.

DenButsu
06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Ha, me & JB both blind to the first thread. My apologies for double posting this (cough, cough) "news". In my defense, threads are coming so fast and furious stuff gets bumped off the front page real quick these days. We're trying to keep it in check, folks, but hey, nobody shoots 1.000 from the arc. Anyhoo....

As I said in my first post, I think it's a negotiating tactic. Melo's putting the pressure on the Nuggs by holding back and not signing right away. The Nuggs are putting some pressure back on by saying, "Oh, yeah? Do you really wanna go FA in the summer of the lockout?"

At the end of the day, though, I think they're just both making the obligatory overtures, feigning the upper hand when neither party really has it. Melo's best case scenario (assuming a lockout) is extending under the current CBA, and of course, the Nuggets' best case scenario is keeping Melo.

I have a strong feeling that negotiations are actually very friendly, and this is more the media trying to make a beef than anyone actually beefing.

But on the off chance (far, far off off chance, imho) that there is actually meat to this rumor, and you believe it, then who do you ("you" meaning anybody, not only "BigBanger" who I quoted) think the Nuggets would actually give up Melo for, and what team do you think would give up a player of that caliber for Melo?

He's a Nugget for life, I think. And hope. But really, this is just Kiz starting some ****.

S-Dot
06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Ha, me & JB both blind to the first thread. My apologies for double posting this (cough, cough) "news". In my defense, threads are coming so fast and furious stuff gets bumped off the front page real quick these days. We're trying to keep it in check, folks, but hey, nobody shoots 1.000 from the arc. Anyhoo....

As I said in my first post, I think it's a negotiating tactic. Melo's putting the pressure on the Nuggs by holding back and not signing right away. The Nuggs are putting some pressure back on by saying, "Oh, yeah? Do you really wanna go FA in the summer of the lockout?"

At the end of the day, though, I think they're just both making the obligatory overtures, feigning the upper hand when neither party really has it. Melo's best case scenario (assuming a lockout) is extending under the current CBA, and of course, the Nuggets' best case scenario is keeping Melo.

I have a strong feeling that negotiations are actually very friendly, and this is more the media trying to make a beef than anyone actually beefing.

But on the off chance (far, far off off chance, imho) that there is actually meat to this rumor, and you believe it, then who do you ("you" meaning anybody, not only "BigBanger" who I quoted) think the Nuggets would actually give up Melo for, and what team do you think would give up a player of that caliber for Melo?

He's a Nugget for life, I think. And hope. But really, this is just Kiz starting some ****.

I agree. I think he just wants a commitment to winning right now. This team is close, but they need to make some changes, possibly another low post presence that can score. If the Nuggets make moves this offseason that show they're looking to win a title now, Melo will surely stay.

Melo15
06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Melo will stay but we do need to make some moves for him to keep him happy.

DenButsu
06-30-2010, 10:38 AM
possibly another low post presence that can score

Definitely that. Not possibly. Not to disagree, but just to emphasize that you're right. :cool:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I'll bet anyone here $10 Melo stays :D

Kakaroach
06-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah I would be pretty surprised if Melo gave up a chance at a max for another 3 years with the new CBA coming in.

tennisoscar1
06-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Trade him to philly for iggy and some picks haha

uprightciti
06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
today is his last day to agree to the terms!

Opt out

go to New York.
Be the face of the garden!

s&t: D. Lee, Curry, Wilson Chandler, future second rounder

for Melo!!!!

LOL
damnit the knicks are screwed

jaded01
06-30-2010, 12:06 PM
today is his last day to agree to the terms!

Opt out

go to New York.
Be the face of the garden!

s&t: D. Lee, Curry, Wilson Chandler, future second rounder

for Melo!!!!

LOL
damnit the knicks are screwed

normally teams dont trade stars for steaming piles of useless ****. the knicks do... but basically everyone else doesn't.

nuggetsyankees
06-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Interestingly, the last day Anthony could sign an extension before he has to make a decision on opting out is June 30, 2011. That's 10 days after the Nuggets have to make a call on Billups. "I'm hoping like crazy that he stays,'' Billups said of wanting Anthony to sign the extension. "That's the franchise.'' Billups said he hasn't talked to Anthony about the extension offer and doesn't know what's on his mind. But he said he plans to court Anthony to stay. "Absolutely,'' Billups said. "I have to try to do that.'' FanHouse.com

Lo Porto
06-30-2010, 12:15 PM
I'll bet anyone here $10 Melo stays :D

So AIMelo, what's your new user name going to be when Melo is in NY? :burn:

RaiderLakersA's
06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Wise decision by Denver. But they're not going to be able to move him, unless this evolves into a 3 team trade of some sort.

On the other hand, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Melo is going to opt out. He is going to wake up and see a landscape where the top teams in the league will be stacked. It's possible he would have to earn a title against a team made of LeBron, Wade and Bosh for the next few years. No matter what Denver does to build around him, I don't think it will be enough to beat that.

Melo will walk. It's just a matter of time. The question is what can Denver do to better prepare themselves now. Getting his name out there as trade bait is a good move, especially now.

DenButsu
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Wise decision by Denver. But they're not going to be able to move him, unless this evolves into a 3 team trade of some sort.

On the other hand, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Melo is going to opt out. He is going to wake up and see a landscape where the top teams in the league will be stacked. It's possible he would have to earn a title against a team made of LeBron, Wade and Bosh for the next few years. No matter what Denver does to build around him, I don't think it will be enough to beat that.

Melo will walk. It's just a matter of time. The question is what can Denver do to better prepare themselves now. Getting his name out there as trade bait is a good move, especially now.

I wish I could make a monetary bet with you here that Melo would re-sign within the next 3 months for an extension which takes him through to 2015. Because pretty much, he'd be crazy not to with the impending lockout and CBA that will undermine his potential salary. If he doesn't take the offer that the Nuggs put on the table, I'll be shocked. And his agent's career will take a nose dive.

ABOMB_56
06-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Not trying to be a homer, but the Rockets would have an intriguing package for the Nuggets IF Carmelo was on the blocks. Houston has an abundance of trading parts that would work well in a trade. We got potentially offer you guys

Battier
Hill
Jeffries (Expiring I believe)
2011 Knicks First Round Pick (We have the right to swap picks with the Knicks)
2011 Rockets First Round Pick

JordansBulls
06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
I would prefer Melo on the Bulls instead of Lebron if we got Joe Johnson and Bosh as well.

RaiderLakersA's
06-30-2010, 01:49 PM
I wish I could make a monetary bet with you here that Melo would re-sign within the next 3 months for an extension which takes him through to 2015. Because pretty much, he'd be crazy not to with the impending lockout and CBA that will undermine his potential salary. If he doesn't take the offer that the Nuggs put on the table, I'll be shocked. And his agent's career will take a nose dive.

I hear you and I know that any rational mind would seek the big payday over anything else...usually.

But I also believe that new CBA or not, the NBA teams will continue to shell out sizable salaries to the top tier players in the league. Any scaling back of salaries is bound to effect the overpaid and underperforming mid-tier talent more than it will the superstars. No longer will you see a Peja Stojakovic get a contract of $14M - $15M a year or a Sasha Vujacic earning $5M -$6M annually. Those days will be gone after the new CBA.

But superstars will still command contracts in the tens of millions. If you're Melo, I don't think it's a major sacrifice to forego a $21M/yr for 3 years contract in a place where you don't feel that you can win a title in favor of a $15M/yr - $18M/yr longer term contract in a place where you believe you can win.

Obviously none of the above is more than speculation, but I think Melo walks.

DenButsu
06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
^All of which presumes that the Melo believes the Nuggets can't be a contender, while any of the other teams which might have cap space to sign him in 2011 (assuming there's no lockout to prevent that happening in the first place, which is extremely unlikely at this point), can be contenders.

The double max train leaves the station this summer. Melo's agent better well know he damn well won't have a better deal looking him in the face next summer than what's on the table right now.

Draco
06-30-2010, 01:58 PM

Both you could paypal the money to me and I'll hold on to it until the bet plays out in a year. :D

DenButsu
06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Both you could paypal the money to me and I'll hold on to it until the bet plays out in a year. :D

Well, I'll give you an A for effort, at least.

That said, and back to the topic, where would you place your bet?

S-Dot
06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
^All of which presumes that the Melo believes the Nuggets can't be a contender, while any of the other teams which might have cap space to sign him in 2011 (assuming there's no lockout to prevent that happening in the first place, which is extremely unlikely at this point), can be contenders.

The double max train leaves the station this summer. Melo's agent better well know he damn well won't have a better deal looking him in the face next summer than what's on the table right now.

I think Melo is only waiting to see if Denver will use its valuable assets to get a big trade done to help this team. He is the Denver Nuggets, and has been the face of this franchise since he was drafted. The NBA hasn't had this much respect for the Nuggets since they upset the Super Sonics in 1995. Melo just wants to know the team is continuing to go in the right direction now and not later. I agree; I doubt he leaves.

j-bay
06-30-2010, 02:43 PM
melo to wizards
he is a dc native

Draco
06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, I'll give you an A for effort, at least.

That said, and back to the topic, where would you place your bet?

I think you're right, I buy Melo signing an extension.

IversonIsKrazy
06-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Denver should really try to get Better rather than await 2011 for Melo's decision, they need a legit post scorer, if they got one, man they'd be insane!

srfr4life
06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Melo is entertaining the idea of playing with Howard and the MAGIC. When he becomes a free Agent, Vince Carter's contract is up, opening up the kind of money Melo would want, all the while playing for a contender. That's why.

redzone11
06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
It would be a stupid decision for Melo to turn down the offer the Nuggets are giving him, he will lose a lot of money. But maybe he really hates Denver, or wants a fresh start. That being said I wouldn't mind him in Philly with Jrue and ET.

But he is in a good situation and has a lot of money on the table I can't see him leaving.

DenButsu
06-30-2010, 08:31 PM
melo to wizards
he is a dc native

When did Baltimore move to D.C.? :p

But maybe he really hates Denver, or wants a fresh start.

Can't speak as to whether he wants a fresh start or not, but he has never had anything but kind words for Denver. By all accounts, he likes it there, and he likes the home and the family life he's set up there.

--------------------

Separately, Billups said he will be campaigning Melo (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/29/billups-wont-call-it-a-contract-year-but-wants-to-retire-with-n/) to get him to stay:

"I'm hoping like crazy that he stays,'' Billups said of wanting Anthony to sign the extension. "That's the franchise.''

Billups said he hasn't talked to Anthony about the extension offer and doesn't know what's on his mind. But he said he plans to court Anthony to stay.

"Absolutely,'' Billups said. "I have to try to do that.''

Mudvayne91
06-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't think it happens and I hope it doesn't happen, but I suppose anything is possible. The problem I have with it is Mark Kiszla from the Denver Post is a complete idiot. He is a horrible writer and usually is wrong about most things, but you never know for sure. And for the Raider Laker fan, I'm sorry, but how on earth are they never going to be contenders? Two years removed from the Western Finals and we were the # 2 seed for the longest time last year until Karl unfortunately wasn't able to coach and Kmart went out. I'm not saying they're favored by any means, but they're one big man away from being in the conversation again whether it is FA or at the trade deadline.

DenButsu
06-30-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't think it happens and I hope it doesn't happen, but I suppose anything is possible. The problem I have with it is Mark Kiszla from the Denver Post is a complete idiot. He is a horrible writer and usually is wrong about most things, but you never know for sure. And for the Raider Laker fan, I'm sorry, but how on earth are they never going to be contenders? Two years removed from the Western Finals and we were the # 2 seed for the longest time last year until Karl unfortunately wasn't able to coach and Kmart went out. I'm not saying they're favored by any means, but they're one big man away from being in the conversation again whether it is FA or at the trade deadline.

His article from just a few days ago, advising Melo NOT to extend:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_15381904

Could he be trying to fulfill his own prophecy? I don't know, but put these two articles back to back, and it's sketchy at best.

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
nuggets need to trade him mid-season if it starts to look like they aren't the best team in the west

melo would be smart not to sign this extension to put the pressure on nuggest management to pursue some more pieces to put around melo

Mudvayne91
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
His article from just a few days ago, advising Melo NOT to extend:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_15381904

Could he be trying to fulfill his own prophecy? I don't know, but put these two articles back to back, and it's sketchy at best.

Yep, I read that one a few days ago. That just added to my dislike of him. Seems like the guy just doesn't like Denver, a Mariotti type. Definitely sketchy too.

zambo4president
06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
I would literally give anything but Rose

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=266gdlc

MUAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Knicks sign jj + amare and get melo

holy crap

Melo15
06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=266gdlc

MUAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Knicks sign jj + amare and get melo

holy crap

For some reason I don't see that going down lol

97NYer
06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Knicks roster (TD//Chandler/Gallinari/Curry/2014 1st rounder for Melo

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
haha....trade away more first rounders? will the knicks ever have a first round pick again?

pasquale
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Brandon Roy for Melo would be a steal for the Trail Blazers. I can name 20 players as good or better than Roy in the Western Conference alone. I can not name 1 player better than Melo in the West. Roy is a very good player, but great never.

KingsAndNiners
06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
The Sacramento Kings offer:

Samuel Dalembert (Expiring)
Omri Casspi
2011 First Round Pick
2011 Second Round Pick
And either Jason Thompson, Francisco Garcia, or Beno Udrih

Hmm, that probably wouldn't be enough..
How about

Carl Landry
Omri Casspi
2011 First Round Pick
Francisco Garcia

Idk if salaries match tho.

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Brandon Roy for Melo would be a steal for the Trail Blazers. I can name 20 players as good or better than Roy in the Western Conference alone. I can not name 1 player better than Melo in the West. Roy is a very good player, but great never.

errr Kobe? Gasol?

Allstar21
06-30-2010, 09:42 PM
The Sacramento Kings offer:

Samuel Dalembert (Expiring)
Omri Casspi
2011 First Round Pick
2011 Second Round Pick
And either Jason Thompson, Francisco Garcia, or Beno Udrih

Hmm, that probably wouldn't be enough..
How about

Carl Landry
Omri Casspi
2011 First Round Pick
Francisco Garcia

Idk if salaries match tho.

It doesnt match but if kings threw in Dalembart and nugs threw in birdman the contracts would match

Landry + Casspi + Garcia + Dalembart for Melo + birdman

KingsAndNiners
06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
It doesnt match but if kings threw in Dalembart and nugs threw in birdman the contracts would match

Landry + Casspi + Garcia + Dalembart for Melo + birdman

Since The Kings are under the cap would they have to match salaries?

mark1125
06-30-2010, 09:54 PM
come to LA!!! bynum +1 for melo? id do it..

:facepalm:

ATL-ALL-DAY
06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Bibby, Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, & Josh childress

For

Melo & birdman

kikeyanez
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
monta eliis,ar4 an kaleena azabukie for melo

westcoastsoxfan
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Did someone just say that Gasol is as good or better than Melo? Wow...delusional much?

nobreed504
06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
He will sign it. It sucks being forced, but denver can force alot of us if they offer 60 mill(I will sign today).

nuggetsyankees
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
what the author means is that they'd give him away in a sign & trade not randomly in the offseason

blah-blah
06-30-2010, 11:08 PM
mmm come to toronto melo