PDA

View Full Version : Any simalarities between this F.A class and the 2003-2004 lakers.....

spreadeagle
06-30-2010, 03:37 AM
Before anyone screams Malone and Payton were way older! I realize that.But thats the year they signed Gary Payton and Karl Malone to play with Kobe and Shaq, they were suppose to form one of the all time great nba teams full of H.O.F'ers..Not exactly,they had a good regular season but lost 4-1 to detroit in the finals..then im sure the blame game started,Payton was traded Shaq eventually left and Malone retired instead of going to the spurs where he was offerd a deal..This is the only example I can think of when 2 franchise F.A guys joined with 2 others to scoop up some rings "im sure L.A fans can speak to the chemistry of that team better then I" and it Didnt really work..Should Bosh Wade Dirk LBJ think on that before teaming up together,seems Kobe and Jordan both did it best with nice pieces around them who knew when to give them the ball and move out the way when need be..

GoatMilk
06-30-2010, 03:46 AM
there's a conspiracy out there that states that the NBA didnt want the Lakers to win because of Kobe's trial...

back to this, um kinda. But Payton and Malone were willing to sacrifice their numbers in order to go win. big names, but not all-stars at the time.

It wouldnt work unless those guys do what the Celtics did. and even those C's (KG/PP/Ray) all said that their run wouldnt have worked when they were younger

spreadeagle
06-30-2010, 03:49 AM
there's a conspiracy out there that states that the NBA didnt want the Lakers to win because of Kobe's trial...

back to this, um kinda. But Payton and Malone were willing to sacrifice their numbers in order to go win. big names, but not all-stars at the time.

It wouldnt work unless those guys do what the Celtics did. and even those C's (KG/PP/Ray) all said that their run wouldnt have worked when they were younger

I like ur Sig:D

tredigs
06-30-2010, 03:57 AM
That Lakers team was a dying star. They lost in the Western Conference Semi's the year before and were trying for one last hoorah - but the team chemistry was never there with Shaq and Kobe already feuding. Plus, Malone was literally 40 yrs old and Payton was heading into his late 30's... and they were only signed to 1 year deals.

If a team like the Bulls land Lebron/Bosh then it would be a crew of mid 20 year olds who have never won a title and are hungry to take on the league with their long term contracts for the next 4-6 years. This situation is potentially MUCH more scary for opposing teams than that "one last hoorah" Lakers squad.

ChiSox219
06-30-2010, 04:11 AM
I'm about 80 pages into The Last Season and what I can gather so far is that:

Shaq was hurting, physically

Kobe was hurting, mentally

Malone and Payton were old dogs trying to learn a new trick

It's an interesting read thus far, recommend it to any fan of the NBA.

kArSoN RyDaH
06-30-2010, 04:37 AM
i'm about 80 pages into the last season and what i can gather so far is that:

Shaq was hurting, physically

kobe was hurting, mentally

malone and payton were old dogs trying to learn a new trick

it's an interesting read thus far, recommend it to any fan of the nba.

ill look into that book. But yes kobe was hurting mentally. He was going through his trials in colorado and constantly having to fly back and forth to make games 2 hours or sometimes less than an hour before tip off. Shaq was injured for part of the year. Everyone at one point in that season had some type of problem. That whole year just didnt work out. Although it did start off good it didnt end goood. But man did i love malone in a laker uniform. Guy was a beast...

But back to the thread you cant compare the two. These stars are younger and great. Malone and payton were great but not at that time. They were declining big time. I can see this big 3 of lebron bosh n wade working out in the short run but not in the long run. They still would need a big man to match the lakers size. And a bench. But with all that cash between the 3 they wont be able to afford any solid role players imo.