PDA

View Full Version : Report: Knicks Prefer Joe Johnson Over ... LeBron James?

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
When you talk about the "Summer of Free Agency," there is one No. 1 target: LeBron James. People willing to engage in some sort of discussion as to whether any other player out there -- all due respect accorded to both Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh -- are either foolish, high on drugs or acting foolishly while high on drugs.

That's just one man's take though -- others, such as an "NBA source with knowledge of the [Knicks'] plans" that SNY's Adam Zagoria cites, may believe that someone like Joe Johnson is the true golden pot at the end of the proverbial free agency rainbow.

"Yes, we think he's a better player," the source said of Johnson. "He makes other people better. With LeBron's people running the locker room that hurts the organization."

"I don't care what most people think," the source said. "I'm not saying that LeBron is not a good player, but other stuff comes with it. LeBron's friends want jobs. You're gonna lose running your organization. As time goes on you got to hire this guy, you got to hire that guy."

Now, it's probably true that LeBron is more demanding than Johnson, and that he requires more attention, and that his entourage/management/friends may require more jobs, but to paraphrase Denny Green, well, he is what he is. And that just happens to be the best basketball player on the planet.

Additionally, the Cavs' back-to-back runs of best record in the NBA probably wouldn't have happened if LeBron was teamed with Josh Smith, Al Horford, Marvin Williams and Jamal Crawford instead of his crew of Cleveland teammates. (Note: that was sarcasm.)

But swapping the two out and trying to determine whether or not LeBron could have coped with the Hawks (or vice-versa with Johnson and the Cavs) and determining the "What If?" result is fruitless and redundant: we're talking about LeBron James and Joe Johnson here.

It's not even apples and oranges -- it's fruits and vegetables.

Which leads me to believe that the only conceivable way that anyone with the Knicks would attempt to claim that "Johnson > James = something other than crazytalk" is if they were convinced that chasing LeBron was futile at this point. Oh, and that buttering up Johnson enough would guarantee that the Knicks could remain players in free agency, even if it was just at the compensatory level.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/29/report-knicks-prefer-joe-johnson-over-lebron-james/

Robbw241
06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Knicks throwing in the white flag right there

black1605
06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
B.s.

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM

my thoughts exactly

*Superman*
06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Stupid and a lie.

gbpackers12
06-29-2010, 05:13 PM
lolwut?

NYKalltheway
Who is mr.source I wonder? Does he exist?

*Silver&Black*
Lie, but is interesting about "Lebron's people running the locker room"! Hmmm..........

Lebron with Josh Smith, Al Horford, Marvin Williams and Jamal Crawford would of won titles by now.

NYK|NYY
06-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Move along people, nothing to read hear that his legs.

NYtilIdie
06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Apparently you guys forgot what "report" mean. "Report" means it was said by somebody important like Donnie Walsh or Dolan, not an unamed "source".

I call BS until I hear Donnie Walsh say JJ signed the dotted line.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-29-2010, 05:17 PM
SMH @ this article.... It makes absolutely no sense... Glad other people see the constant BS the media is puttin out... LBJ or not.. Im just glad we have a chance to start over and actually try and build a team...

Raidaz4Life
06-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Interesting move by the Knicks.

BlueJayFanDan
06-29-2010, 05:19 PM
JJ is definitely awesome but Bron is the best.

AI4MVP
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
idk about joe johnson. sometime i think hes a flat out baller, sometimes i think hes overrtaed

abe_froman
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
:laugh: you cant be serious,3 years of them selling the fanbase on getting lebron just to pull out joe at the last minute...i cant believe that walsh hates ny that much

NYK_kidd77
06-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Knick forum...

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Knick forum...

NO!!!! this is so funny it belongs in the NBA forum

avrpatsfan
06-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah ****ing right.

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
All that Joe has that is better than Lebron is sick ball handling skills and a deadly post-up and mid-range shot.

unwantedplayer
I'm calling a bluff.. He's doing this to catch teams off guard.

NYK_kidd77

So you made this thread just to bait? And if you actually believe this then your a moron.

Giaps
This is laughable. The media is out of control.

NYK|NYY
06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm going to stand outside of MSG so I can be a source too.

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
So you made this thread just to bait? And if you actually believe this then your a moron.

i dont think they believe it, but i do believe new york knows lbj isnt coming and walsh is trying to cover his tracks so they are kissing up to joe johnson now and maybe trying to make him think that.

NYK_kidd77
06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
i dont think they believe it, but i do believe new york know lbj isnt coming and walsh is trying to cover his tracks so they are kissing up to joe johnson

How are they kissing up to Joe Johnson?

PurpleJesus
06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
lol, if the knicks do end up getting Joe over Lebron, NY media will keep pushing that Joe was their preferred choice all along, and the Knicks fanbase will believe it

robdog_5
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
translation the Knicks can't get Lebron and know it.

NYK|NYY
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
lol, if the knicks do end up getting Joe over Lebron, NY media will keep pushing that Joe was their preferred choice all along, and the Knicks fanbase will believe it

You mean Joe Johnson isn't our number one target?!?!?

NYK_kidd77
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM

I wont believe it so i guess your generalization is wrong.

NYtilIdie
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM

This "source" is about as credible as Broussard and if you honestly believe this (which you do) then you are truly one gullible moron.

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
This "source" is about as credible as Broussard and if you honestly believe this (which you do) then you are truly one gullible moron.

read my post above. im not 15 years old like you probably are. so no...... but i believe they are telling jj that to kiss his butt cause the knicks are screwed

chitown 4 life
06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
to bad if LBJ go's to miami JJ is coming to chicago.. then will hear N.Y talking about aaron gray is better then LBJ AND JJ we wanted himm all along

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 05:33 PM
to bad if LBJ go's to miami JJ is coming to chicago.. then will hear N.Y talking about aaron gray is better then LBJ AND JJ we wanted himm all along

lmao.............

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Lebron should sign with the Cavs. Be a top 2 East team still.

Joe Johnson should sign with the Hawks. Be a top 3 East team still.

Knicks, Heat, Bulls can be at the bottom of the playoff seeds still. I don't understand why Joe or Lebron would want to jump ship to a crappy team with cap space. Doesn't mean those teams will be good. They should stay on their already good teams and make everyone on ESPN look stupid.

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Really all the Bulls fans its fine that you have the upper hand for landing Lebron. But dont just say stupid **** for no reason.

look, i think whoever that source is hilarious. i really hope someone for the knicks isnt that dumb to say something like that, but my bet is they are telling JJ that to butter him up. dont get mad cause of a report. its just a report and yes its pretty funny someone could possibly be dumb enough to say something like that

sep11ie
06-29-2010, 05:40 PM

I thought they did that like 8 years ago...

td0tsfinest
06-29-2010, 05:41 PM
They know they're out of it, so they're trying look like they "dumped" Lebron.

WITZ
06-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Hahaha the looks like the knicks finally realized Bron ain't coming.Good for them they might as well move on and get someone else before they get shut out and have to settle for Rudy Gay and resign Lee.

8kobe24
06-29-2010, 05:45 PM
IF this is true then here is my translation:

Knicks: Attention Bulls and Heat...don't sign Lebron because he has an entourage that will try to run the show and ruin your organization.

Then in a silent devilish laugh...."bwahahaha Lebron is ours."

abe_froman
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
They know they're out of it, so they're trying look like they "dumped" Lebron.

quite possible ,but they should still try.not like it would cost them anything but jet fuel

calibird707
06-29-2010, 05:50 PM
If u people really believe this..then I got some ocean front property in idaho I want to sell u..

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 05:52 PM
If u people really believe this..then I got some ocean front property in idaho I want to sell u..

really? thats gonna be really valuable when the big one hits the west coast :)

The Dream
06-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Chicagos main attraction

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vZjjou6Dy5w/SxLix_qtCqI/AAAAAAAAAdM/Ta2nLpwng_I/s1600/Navy+Pier.jpg
The Ferris Wheel at the Navy Pier

LeBron should definitely love that ride!

Giaps
It amazes me how many people believe every word they read.

It's sad.

NYK|NYY
I think this should be locked!

29$JerZ
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
It seems only things bashing the Knicks make it to the NBA forum, wonder why...

If you believe this your as bad as the writer

And to those who say New York knows LeBron isn't coming, he is about as likely to go to Chicago as he is to NY, Miami, NJ, etc. Enough with the he is coming to our city for sure hahahahaha.

king4day
06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't think NYK means they feel JJ is better as a player. Sounds like they mean, the situation is better. Less baggage.

YankeeFan28
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Please stop baiting.

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
For all those draft picks NY gave you you sure did a hell of a job building a contender. That Tyrus trade was genious.

No one hates Chicago, it's the posters that claim they are #1 when they are obviously not that piss of more than just Knick fans.

it was two picks and he still got noah with the other one and it doesnt matter if one of the picks was thomas, he was still better then eddy curry, lmao

29$JerZ
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
it was two picks and he still got noah with the other one and it doesnt matter if one of the picks was thomas, he was still better then eddy curry, lmao

I basically consider the Eddy trade to be Eddy + Wilson Chandler for Noah + Tyrus Thomas

I'm sure Chicago loves NY to some degree for letting that have the draft spot of Noah (switching) and we got chandler out of it so it's all good :)

NY-SportsFan
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
a lil laugh!!!!!!! we have been laugh at you for YEARS.... i mean come on, all the years we won you guys thought you had a shot ummm... nope and the years we both sucked you kept GIVING us your draft picks. now the past 2 years all N.Y could talk about was LBJ and yup you geuss its not gonna happen so i can see why you hate CHICAGO we are everything you wanna be.... this is what y'all look like to me :mad::mad::mad::cry::cry::cry::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

lol. Most of you all take this crap way too seriously. Its funny how everyone interprets each report differently to benefit their biased opinion. You are all arguing over a bunch of nonsense.

I could see Lebron going to any of the Knicks, Heat, Bulls right now. Sure, Ill give Miami or Chicago the edge at the moment. A month ago I would have given the Knicks the edge and not given Miami a shot based on the way Wade exited the playoffs. 2 months ago, I would have said he had a 70% chance of staying in Cleveland.

Nobody knows. Why bicker and stress out about it. The media is going to print 1000 different angles on this story in the next two days. They will all be published for one reason: to get attention and make money; not for accuracy.

Klivlend
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Whatever. There is no way 'the source' honestly thinks that. 'The source' is simply sucking up to Joe Johnson to make him think he is the Knicks priority this offseason. I mean, it makes sense. They realize they are not one of the top candidates to land LBJ anymore so they're cutting their losses and moving on. Looks like a D'antoni-Johnson reunion in the Big Apple.

chitown 4 life
06-29-2010, 06:12 PM
come on dude i dont know any N.Y fans that will say jordan was the best of all time... as far as thinking we are number 1 i dont, i think we have some real nice players and a chance to be real good with the right moves.

sep11ie
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Question to Knicks fans. Do y'all prefer johnson?

NY-SportsFan
06-29-2010, 06:20 PM
uestion to Knicks fans. Do y'all prefer johnson?

No, of course not.
LBJ
Wade
Bosh
Dirk
Gay
JJ
Boozer
Lee
Amare

I'd take Rudy Gay over JJ. He is much younger and at this point has a higher upside. Memphis will match any offer for him, so he would have to want out though.

chitown 4 life
06-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Please stop baiting.

why delete are post thats what sports is all about people going back and fourth. ever watch P.T.I, I LOVE THE PASSION its not about whos right or wrong its what we belive... true fans always think there teams are better... just like ill always say the yankees suck, does that have legs NO.. ITS competitive banter....

Evolution23
06-29-2010, 06:25 PM
My sources are telling me Knicks to offer max contract to Chris Duhon... I wouldn't lie on the internet, therefore you have to believe me!

NY-SportsFan
06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
why delete are post thats what sports is all about people going back and fourth. ever watch P.T.I, I LOVE THE PASSION its not about whos right or wrong its what we belive... true fans always think there teams are better... just like ill always say the yankees suck, does that have legs NO.. ITS competitive banter....

I disagree with that. Homer fans always think their team is better. People who are enjoyable to have sports debates with are the ones who arent blind to their teams flaws and dont get their feelings hurt when they are pointed out. Its good to be able to laugh at(even if its out of frustration) your own team.

chitown 4 life
06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
I disagree with that. Homer fans always think their team is better. People who are enjoyable to have sports debates with are the ones who arent blind to their teams flaws and dont get their feelings hurt when they are pointed out. Its good to be able to laugh at(even if its out of frustration) your own team.

ok let me ask you this was m.jordan over rated and is d. jeter over rated?

Big Quett
06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Lie, but is interesting about "Lebron's people running the locker room"! Hmmm..........

Lebron with Josh Smith, Al Horford, Marvin Williams and Jamal Crawford would of won titles by now.

lol yeah sure:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh 2::laugh2:

hugh1130
06-29-2010, 06:59 PM
NYK considering Joe Johnson better the LeBron is about as accurate as LeBron/Bosh/Wade colluding to go to Miami

oak2455
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM

my thoughts exactly

Yes because Dolan thought he has nothing better to do than meet with LBJ and his crew in beautiful tropical Cleveland:confused::confused::confused:

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
lol yeah sure:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh 2::laugh2:

You're right, because the #3 team in the East that adds Lebron wouldn't of won anything, but put him on a crappy Bulls or Heat team and he does.:rolleyes: Plus I brought that up because it talked about it in the article.

Plus, why is a Grizz fan laughing at another team?

LA_Raiders
06-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I dont see LeBrooms ego playing in other place than NY

td0tsfinest
06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
quite possible ,but they should still try.not like it would cost them anything but jet fuel

I agree. New York was considered the front runner a year ago and all of a sudden it seems like they're out of the race.

oak2455
06-29-2010, 07:47 PM
I couldnt agree more:) its funny how ESPN doesnt even mention the Knicks......hmmmmm is it because if LBJ goes there well MSG Network would be huge and take away ESPN's advertisers:eyebrow:

oak2455
06-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I agree. New York was considered the front runner a year ago and all of a sudden it seems like they're out of the race.

x 10000 btw Brasil looks pretty good:D

Truheatfan
06-29-2010, 07:49 PM

pretty much if someone indeed atually said jj is better than lbj than they need to be :guns: why cant they just say were not getting lebron cause he cant win titles here

oak2455
06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
pretty much if someone indeed atually said jj is better than lbj than they need to be :guns: why cant they just say were not getting lebron cause he cant win titles here

who's on your current team:laugh::laugh::laugh: I'll tell you know one:eyebrow:

arkanian215
06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Who is mr.source I wonder? Does he exist?

No one like always.

tangent12
06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Seems like something the Knicks would do (judging by their past). I also see JJ in a Knick jersey when it's all said and done... taking over the league with Eddy Curry and Duhon. :laugh2:

oak2455
06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Seems like something the Knicks would do (judging by their past). I also see JJ in a Knick jersey when it's all said and done... taking over the league with Eddy Curry and Duhon. :laugh2:

wow your lost do some homework...........................Duhon FA Curry is coming off the books in 2011 another FA signing but keep making jokes:eyebrow:

smith&wesson
06-29-2010, 08:38 PM
johnson over lebron?? :laugh::laugh2:

who ever said that should get banned from watching any nba game ever.
someones really on theyre dope!

sure lebron comes with politics. but you know what if lebron ever even entertained the idea of playing for the raptors i would give his grand parents, parents, siblings, boys, hell id even give his babies a job.

i would even make mat devlin give him a blowjob lol

steelcityroller
06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I see one of two things here

(1) This story is bull**** which is the most likely scenario.

(2) The Knicks know they don't have a chance in hell of getting Lebron and are focusing all of their attention to somebody that they think they could possibly get in Joe Johnson. Then sending out a bull**** message to the fans that they want Joe Johnson more than Lebron anyways which is laughable at best and anybody with half a brain can see through....

tredigs
06-29-2010, 08:48 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhh :burn:

As opposed to him already extending his contract to play in Cleveland, Ohio in the past? Call me when Kobe signs with Milwaukee.

29$JerZ
06-29-2010, 08:49 PM
I see one of two things here

(1) This story is bull**** which is the most likely scenario.

(2) The Knicks know they don't have a chance in hell of getting Lebron and are focusing all of their attention to somebody that they think they could possibly get in Joe Johnson. Then sending out a bull**** message to the fans that they want Joe Johnson more than Lebron anyways which is laughable at best and anybody with half a brain can see through....

1 is obviously the answer

Even if Donnie really felt LeBron is out of reach now the last thing you do is spew this type of non sense that Joe J is a better fit and you like him more than LeBron. That won't go over well with any fan or media outlet unless your from Chicago, Miami or New Jersey.

AddiX
06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
One thing you can't argue, is that JJ is a better shooter from outside or midrange and is also a better defender than Bron.

He's def not as dynamic a player, but no where near as far off from the top players in FA class as most people think. JJ did knock the Heat out the year before and dropped 20 in the 4th quarter against the Celtics in game 7.

He is also in the top 6 in points in the 4th quarter this year.

Funny how quickly people forgot about all that.

NY-SportsFan
06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
ok let me ask you this was m.jordan over rated and is d. jeter over rated?

Jordan was probably the greatest player ever. Sure, some treated him like god, but I dont think you can overrate him.

Jeter is overrated by a lot of yankee fans, but underrated by many people who look at him purely based on statistics. He was(/maybe still is) a great player and surely a hall of famer.

Is there a point you are trying to get at?

dodie53
06-29-2010, 09:09 PM
it ain't true.

knicks still want LBJ

Yanks All Day
06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
One thing you can't argue, is that JJ is a better shooter from outside or midrange and is also a better defender than Bron.

He's def not as dynamic a player, but no where near as far off from the top players in FA class as most people think. JJ did knock the Heat out the year before and dropped 20 in the 4th quarter against the Celtics in game 7.

One other thing you can't argue is that LeBron James is the best basketball player in the world, and Joe Johnson is not in his league when it comes to overall skill.

This is obviously a ploy by the Knicks, because LeBron would fit any system. Heck, they have been talking about LeBron running D'Antoni's system for years and his stats going through the roof while being surrounded by shooters on the wings. IMO, they really don't have a great chance at getting Bron Bron and want to make sure they at least lock up Johnson and go for Amar'e.

White flag by Knicks, IMO.

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2010, 10:22 PM

They forget because he isn't a media ***** and doesn't get praise on ESPN like the other "stars" do. People base greatness off of popularity and shoe sales.

chitown 4 life
06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Jordan was probably the greatest player ever. Sure, some treated him like god, but I dont think you can overrate him.

Jeter is overrated by a lot of yankee fans, but underrated by many people who look at him purely based on statistics. He was(/maybe still is) a great player and surely a hall of famer.

Is there a point you are trying to get at?

all n.y fans and theres allot here in florida always talk how m.j was over rated, but jeter is a god. i wanted to see what you would say.. yes jeter is good the hall yup, but a god no.. you take him off the teams that won they prolly still win it all take jordan of the bulls,. out in the playoffs..

Jaji
06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
"Yes, we think he's a better player," the source said of Johnson. "He makes other people better. With LeBron's people running the locker room that hurts the organization."

"I don't care what most people think," the source said. "I'm not saying that LeBron is not a good player, but other stuff comes with it. LeBron's friends want jobs. You're gonna lose running your organization. As time goes on you got to hire this guy, you got to hire that guy."

Biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

The Dream
06-29-2010, 10:46 PM

There are 5 players on this team. We are adding 7 players this offseason and 2 stars. Nice to know you know nothing about basketball.

goose15
06-29-2010, 10:58 PM
this is getting stupid now

James >>>>> JJ

roshan3ai
06-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Does anyone actually belief this idiot?