PDA

View Full Version : Ron Santo: Still Crazy After All These Years

Yagyu+
06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
A feature article which ran in The Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-j-elisberg/ron-santo-still-crazy-aft_b_627651.html). It's long to the point where I won't include the whole thing. Still a nice read though. Answers my question as to why I saw Santo at O'Hare in early June while the Cubs were in Pittsburgh -- seems he was en route to a hospital. In addition to the print, there's also video from a recent interview at the bottom of the page.

Ron Santo:

The Cubs keep me alive and I doubt they will ever kill me.

Link for the rest, but here's the lead in:

Saturday marked the 50th anniversary of Ron Santo making his major-league debut with the Chicago Cubs. Today, the club is honoring him in a gala celebration at Wrigley Field.

"I am so fortunate to have been in baseball for 50 years, and it is incredibly heartwarming to be recognized by the Cubs for that achievement," Santo said in a statement. "I'm grateful and thankful to be associated with the Chicago Cubs. I wouldn't change the last 50 years for anything!"

Baseball teams don't honor the anniversaries of players starting with their organization. If it happens, it's rare. It's special. But then Ron Santo is pretty rare and special himself. "Beloved" is not an understatement.

In his honor, I'm repeating a piece I wrote about the good fellow four years ago, followed by an update. It's important to know who Ron Santo is, because it helps make people understand the best in all of us most especially when facing unrelenting adversity. But the thing is, Ron Santo is not about adversity. Ron Santo transcends adversity. It's that Ron Santo simply makes you feel good.

BDawk4Prez
06-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I love me some Lt. Dan.

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
It's truly impossible to be a Cub fan and not love Ronny.

Kirel
06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
No, it's not.

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
No, it's not.

How can you not love him?

Yagyu+
06-29-2010, 03:01 PM
OH $#!T!!!!

I'm way late on this, so I didn't want to post another thread, but did anyone know that Marlon Byrd has been blogging for the Cubs?

The Byrd's Nest (http://marlonbyrd.mlblogs.com/)

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Yes. It's been known.

Yagyu+
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes. It's been known.

Dammit.

Well, it's new to me. I'll read it an cackle with glee.

Illinirob83
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
No, it's not.

I love Ronny, but he is truly terrible on the broadcast. I pine for the day that he retires, hopefully it is very soon.

Kirel
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
How can you not love him?
*shrug*, he's annoying?

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
*shrug*, he's annoying?

I just want to clarify something here, I love him as a fan, not as a broadcaster. I agree with everyone that says he is an awful broadcaster, because he is. But he wants the Cubs to win before he dies, and I love that. I don't see how any Cub fan can't love that.

ggross
06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
I just want to clarify something here, I love him as a fan, not as a broadcaster. I agree with everyone that says he is an awful broadcaster, because he is. But he wants the Cubs to win before he dies, and I love that. I don't see how any Cub fan can't love that.

Sort of like a Bears fan saying he hates Butkus. :speechless:

Kirel
06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
So, he's literally the same as atleast tens of thousands, if not hundreds, of other people. Peachy.

It doesn't matter a lick to me that he wants the Cubs to win. I don't know him, don't really care about him. Why should it be more vital to me that he wants the Cubs to win than anyone else?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him dead or harmed or anything, I just don't really care one way or the other.

BDawk4Prez
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Dammit.

Well, it's new to me. I'll read it an cackle with glee.

As you should, and it come to be expected.

harborboy
06-29-2010, 03:27 PM
the day he gets me a deadpool point will be a good day for the radio broadcast.

toovey107
06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
the day he gets me a deadpool point will be a good day for the radio broadcast.
:pity:

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 03:47 PM
:pity:

Says the guy who is officially going to kill his mother.

JP:CubsFan910
06-30-2010, 09:05 AM

totally!
unless you are one of these dumb kids that has no respect for a Cubs legend!

Ron!n
06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
totally!
unless you are one of these dumb kids that has no respect for a Cubs legend!
Respect and Love dont have to go simultaneously.

3Fingers
06-30-2010, 02:02 PM
So, he's literally the same as atleast tens of thousands, if not hundreds, of other people. Peachy.
So I guess tens of thousands of fans played third base for the Cubs at arguably a Hall-of-Fame level. And busted their butts every day while fighting type-1 diabetes without nearly the treatment regimens, alternative foods or understanding that diabetic players have today.

Forgive my pointless sentimentality.

packerfan4life
07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
I like listening on the radio just to hear how bad he is. It's fun.

Kirel
07-01-2010, 07:56 AM
So I guess tens of thousands of fans played third base for the Cubs at arguably a Hall-of-Fame level. And busted their butts every day while fighting type-1 diabetes without nearly the treatment regimens, alternative foods or understanding that diabetic players have today.

Forgive my pointless sentimentality.
Perhaps if, I dunno, he wasn't done with the cubs a decade before I was born I might be sentimental. But no, his diabetes means nothing. It's just one more piece of hype stupid fans use to justify a shakey hall of fame case for their favorite broadcaster.

And yes, your sentimentality is pointless, and useless, and not to be applied to other people. Your hangups are *YOUR* hangups, not everyone elses. I don't really care how gushy you feel looking at Santo.

toovey107
07-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Says the guy who is officially going to kill his mother.
Facebook shall be the end of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPG3YMcSvzo

Str1fe5
07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Perhaps if, I dunno, he wasn't done with the cubs a decade before I was born I might be sentimental. But no, his diabetes means nothing. It's just one more piece of hype stupid fans use to justify a shakey hall of fame case for their favorite broadcaster.

And yes, your sentimentality is pointless, and useless, and not to be applied to other people. Your hangups are *YOUR* hangups, not everyone elses. I don't really care how gushy you feel looking at Santo.

It really isn't a shaky HOF case at all, diabetes or not. Pretty much every objective measure I've seen out there puts him as one of the best players at his position during his era. He certainly has always had the chops to make it into the HOF.

But you're right, the diabetes means nothing in that equation. Especially how terribly he took care of the disease until much, much later in life. The guy is an alcoholic. If you have diabetes and you manage it right, you shouldn't lose two legs. *shrug*

Kirel
07-01-2010, 10:36 AM
It really isn't a shaky HOF case at all, diabetes or not. Pretty much every objective measure I've seen out there puts him as one of the best players at his position during his era. He certainly has always had the chops to make it into the HOF.

But you're right, the diabetes means nothing in that equation. Especially how terribly he took care of the disease until much, much later in life. The guy is an alcoholic. If you have diabetes and you manage it right, you shouldn't lose two legs. *shrug*
Its shakey enough he hasn't been elected. I'm personally extraordinarily tired of hearing about it.