PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Dirk sends opt-out letter

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 01:19 PM
All-Star forward Dirk Nowitzki has sent in official notification to the Dallas Mavericks that he is opting out of the final year of his current contract, according to sources close to the situation.

In addition to faxing the official opt-out letter, Nowitzki had to mail a signed copy Monday from Germany to ensure its arrival at the Mavericks' offices before Wednesday's opt-out deadline in his current deal. The move has been expected since an ESPN.com report in mid-May that Nowitzki planned to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career. But Mavericks officials have remained confident that they will secure a verbal commitment from Nowitzki on a new four-year deal early in free agency.

Teams and free agents can begin negotiating on Thursday at 12:01 a.m. ET, but signed contracts can't be executed before July 8, when the league's moratorium on roster moves is lifted.

Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he has a flight booked if necessary to be in Germany as soon as free agency starts. But sources told ESPN.com that Nowitzki's schedule is still in flux and that it has not yet been determined whether he will be in his native country or in the U.S. when free agency starts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5339661

Giannis94
06-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I was just going to post it. heard it on sportscenter

Young2Kinsler
06-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Dirk getting his max deal before the new CBA, smart guy.

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 01:22 PM
I was just going to post it. heard it on sportscenter

yea thats where i heard it too

Chacarron
06-29-2010, 01:22 PM
He is staying.

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 01:24 PM
yea he probably will stay but you just never know

Young2Kinsler
06-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah, there is always a chance he will leave, but I think Cuban will show Dirk he's serious about making some sort of big splash. I think this is Dirk merely securing his financial future.

SaimoNETS
06-29-2010, 01:28 PM
I know it's not gonna happen, but how awesome would a combo of Dirk and Lopez be? :drool:

xbrackattackx
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
If Cuban gets Dirk a super star, No way he is leaving.

Stunner
06-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Dirk with the Suns with Amare leaving.

D Roses Bulls
06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
this next week should be really interesting

thephoenixson28
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I know it's not gonna happen, but how awesome would a combo of Dirk and Lopez be? :drool: I know imagine him with robin lopez. :drool:

xbrackattackx
06-29-2010, 02:01 PM
i know imagine him with robin lopez. :drool:

:d

MFFL==FML
06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
I know imagine him with robin lopez. :drool:

I know, send both Brook and Robin Lopez to the Mavs so this can happen. :drool:

Twolves88
06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
No surprise, just geting his money before the lockout and player salaries get reduced.

Lot's of free agents are doing this...he'll be back with the mavs. If he isn't the mavs are in a terrible situation next year...

cheerio
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Just read this on espn, could believe it, but cant blame the guy

JPHX
06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Correct me if im wrong but Dirk cant get the standard max cause he'll be 37 in the duration of the contract. League rules doesnt allow you to get max deal by 37. I think that he can only get as much as 96 mil from the Mavs. Mavs arent that good, so maybe if he wants to win theres a chance he'll leave to.....the suns?

Russell_Roberts
06-29-2010, 04:44 PM
cant wait to see my boy dirk in that dallas uniform!!!

Thisisouryear!!
06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
95% chance hes back with mavs, if not more

kjoke
06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
who the hell faxes?

Young2Kinsler
06-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Correct me if im wrong but Dirk cant get the standard max cause he'll be 37 in the duration of the contract. League rules doesnt allow you to get max deal by 37. I think that he can only get as much as 96 mil from the Mavs. Mavs arent that good, so maybe if he wants to win theres a chance he'll leave to.....the suns?

No one can sign him for more than 4 yrs 96 mil, not just the Mavs. No one can give him more money than Dallas.

Young2Kinsler
06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Just read this on espn, could believe it, but cant blame the guy

Just read this on ESPN? It was out in mid May. Do people seriously think this is something new? This news is WAY old. lol

Young2Kinsler
06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
who the hell faxes?

People in Germany.

bosoxlover12
06-29-2010, 09:47 PM

where do you think he WILL go? not where he should, where he will

bosoxlover12
06-29-2010, 09:53 PM
its funny, i was thinking PHO too!

SugeKnight
06-29-2010, 09:59 PM
going to the bucks. book it

Mavrix
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM

This coming from a Suns fan...the irony

Mavrix
06-29-2010, 10:04 PM

where do you think he WILL go? not where he should, where he will

Dallas? Read the article :facepalm:

Jays Claw
06-29-2010, 10:05 PM
He's looking for a max deal before the new collecting bargaining agreement is inserted.

Jays Claw
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Mavericks aren't that good.

They're a very good regular season team.

This coming from a Suns fan.

At least the Suns made it past the first round. ;)

cmellofan15
06-29-2010, 10:15 PM
This coming from a Suns fan...the irony

honestly you (and me both) are in no position to talk about a team who made it out of the first round all the way to the WCF. must've forgot about that when you were guaranteeing a Finals appearance by the Mavs.

Mavrix
06-29-2010, 10:42 PM
They're a very good regular season team.

At least the Suns made it past the first round. ;)

At least Dallas made the playoffs the season prior :eyebrow:

Phoenix just got hot at the right time, just like the Celtics.

Young2Kinsler
06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Mavrix, please just go back to the Mavs forum.

29$JerZ
06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't expect him to leave Dallas, money and his legacy there is too good to pass up on imo.
However if he did leave I'd expect New Jersey and New York to offer him a Max.

MacFitz92
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Nothing unexpected, he's just pushing for Cuban to make a move in FA.

Mavrix
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Mavrix, please just go back to the Mavs forum.

Who are you again?

MacFitz92
06-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Also, it gives more flexibility to the Mavericks FO.

69centers
06-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Not to be outdone by Bosh, James, and Wade, I bet that Pierce, Nowitzki, and Joe Johnson are out having dinner as we speak.

Bishnoff
06-30-2010, 12:06 AM

I hope you're right :pray:

BlondeBomber41
06-30-2010, 12:19 AM
You delusional Suns fans do realize that even if Amare left the Suns wouldn't have cap room to sign a player like Dirk right? Just like if Dirk left the Mavs wouldn't have money to sign someone else.

Basically, you have no shot at the Dirka Dirka Dirka.

JPHX
06-30-2010, 03:22 AM
You delusional Suns fans do realize that even if Amare left the Suns wouldn't have cap room to sign a player like Dirk right? Just like if Dirk left the Mavs wouldn't have money to sign someone else.

Basically, you have no shot at the Dirka Dirka Dirka.

Its not IMPOSSIBLE. Phoenix would have to clear some cap which is possible. Dirk would definitely have to put winning over money which is highly unlikely. But our hopes are based on the assumption that he would like to play with Nash where he doesnt have the pressure of being the man all the time. Hes got a better supporting cast in phoenix. im not gonna lie, its a real longshot and no one expects him to leave dallas, but to say we have no shot is inaccurate.

asmarks18
06-30-2010, 03:43 AM
A better supporting cast in Phoenix?

:laugh:

The only player on your team who is better than its opposition when facing Dallas is Nash.

Terry, Butler, Marion owns Dudley, Hill and Richardson.

Rumors going around that Cuban will go after Joe Johnson. You sub Joe with one of those swingman of ours and the advantage we have on Dudley, Hill and Richardson gets even bigger. Haywood is better than Lopez. If we land Al Jefferson and replace Haywood with him the advantage at the 5 gets even bigger. You get where I am going. Your supporting cast is no where near Dallas'. And you have no where near the type of trade chips to improve your squad like Dallas does.

Young2Kinsler
06-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Not to be outdone by Bosh, James, and Wade, I bet that Pierce, Nowitzki, and Joe Johnson are out having dinner as we speak.

Figuring out how they will all play in Dallas:p

JPHX
06-30-2010, 04:27 AM
A better supporting cast in Phoenix?

:laugh:

The only player on your team who is better than its opposition when facing Dallas is Nash.

Terry, Butler, Marion owns Dudley, Hill and Richardson.

Rumors going around that Cuban will go after Joe Johnson. You sub Joe with one of those swingman of ours and the advantage we have on Dudley, Hill and Richardson gets even bigger. Haywood is better than Lopez. If we land Al Jefferson and replace Haywood with him the advantage at the 5 gets even bigger. You get where I am going. Your supporting cast is no where near Dallas'. And you have no where near the type of trade chips to improve your squad like Dallas does.

First off rumors are rumors and until something is signed lets keep the argument within its current roster.

interesting that you specifically chose these players in your comparison. and even then i still disagree with those picks. all three of phoenix's guys showed up and contributed when it mattered. But the list doesnt stop there for phoenix. I agree Haywood is more experienced than Lopez but Nash just seems to boost his play. You also forgot to mention Dragic, Barbosa, Frye and Amundson who were intricate parts to the suns attack. Individual comparisons are misleading in this circumstance. Collectively our second unit plays well together and have shown to even outplay an opposing teams starting unit (ala San Antonio series) taking the pressure off the starters. This is what i meant by the Suns have a better supporting cast. Yeah Dallas has bigger names, but outside of those three who else can Dirk rely on?

dodie53
06-30-2010, 04:53 AM

i like your idea.
:)

BlondeBomber41
06-30-2010, 05:47 AM
^ Too bad its nearly impossible, minus Dirk deciding to take the MLE. No way Dallas would ever sign and trade him.

Young2Kinsler
06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Dirk Nowitzki let the Mavs know just before Donnie Nelson hopped on a plane to Germany, that he'll be in Dallas to discuss re-signing with the Mavs.

Nelson was planning on making a personal visit to Germany to show Dirk how much they wanted him back, but Nowitzki saved him a trip. It's hard to imagine dirk playing elsewhere and it looks like the Mavs are making the right moves to help keep him in Dallas.

Good to hear.