PDA

View Full Version : Yao will not opt out

black1605
06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
HOUSTON — A person with knowledge of the decision says All-Star centre Yao Ming is returning to the Houston Rockets next season, accepting the player option in his contract.

The person did not want to be identified because the team has made no official announcement.

The seven-foot-six Yao sat out last season following reconstructive surgery on his left foot.

If he had turned down the player option, he would've become an unrestricted free agent on Thursday.

General manager Daryl Morey said Tuesday that an official announcement will come "in the next day or two."

Yao is due to make about US$17.69 million next season, the last of his five-year contract. The Rockets selected Yao with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5htwzhsbERgSeEA4jaHMaun6Zwoxg

Chacarron
06-29-2010, 01:04 PM
He was never going to leave, that salary is not even close to what he would have gotten in free agency.

LTBaByyy
06-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Even though i am a mavs fan, good job yao!!!!

Good move

Ray_R
06-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Smart Finiancial move.

sep11ie
06-29-2010, 01:10 PM
He was never going to leave, that salary is not even close to what he would have gotten in free agency.

Care to explain that statement?

clehmun
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Care to explain that statement?

So you think he'd get a max contract this year if he opted out?

xbrackattackx
06-29-2010, 01:54 PM
In other news the earth is rotating.

dstruong
06-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Yao would get a max deal from anyone who missed on bosh, amare, lebron, wade, johnson...

Sixerlover
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Hope he doesn't get hurt again.

ldc62
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
This is what he should do: Not opt out.
Then sign with the team for vet min that has Bosh/Lebron/Wade to get a ring.

But I think Yao might be too loyal to do this.

clehmun
06-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Yao would get a max deal from anyone who missed on bosh, amare, lebron, wade, johnson...

i disagree. yao ming has been injury prone his whole career, he'll be 30 by the start of next season. He just missed an entire season of basketball from a pretty serious injury that threatens to be career ending (unlike a broken wrist, broken finger, etc).
it's also an injury can that cause a player to never be the same (unlike amare's eye injury, etc).
even if he does recover from his foot injury, he has a history of knees, back, etc injuries that comes with being a 7'6 300 lb player.

not even yao ming knows for sure if he'll be the franchise player he once was again.

not sure how many teams will be lining up and offering him a max deal.
and apparently, yao ming and his agent agrees with me.

Hawkeye15
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't think Yao would have gotten a max deal. But if he shows he can stay upright and play in the playoffs this season, it will earn him more money in the long run

dolfan720
06-29-2010, 03:52 PM
hope he doesn't get hurt again.

x1000000000

sep11ie
06-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Yes I do. He's so valuable to an organization, even off the court. How else do you think She-Mac was a leading All-Star vote getter. When healthy he's the most efficent center in the league.

clehmun
06-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Yes I do. He's so valuable to an organization, even off the court. How else do you think She-Mac was a leading All-Star vote getter. When healthy he's the most efficent center in the league.

Cool. So why did you think he didn't opt out?

There's two reasons:

1. Him and his agent feel like he won't get a max contract this year, and it would be better for him long term if he did not opt out this year.

2. He's so loyal to Houston that he'd like to honour the last year of his contract and not test FA (even though if he opted out, Houston can resign him).

Any other reasons?

clehmun
06-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Being valuable to an organization is one thing, doesn't mean the organizations will give him a MAX contract.

Iverson has a big name, still to this day will fill seats and sell jerseys. Same thing with TMAC, he still has tons of fans out there. But most teams wouldn't even offer their MLE to them.

I'm not saying no teams would want a Yao Ming right now... most would offer him a decent contract. But I doubt many, if any, would offer him a MAX. Just too much of a risk that would set the franchise back way too many years if it didn't pan out.

sep11ie
06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Cool. So why did you think he didn't opt out?

There's two reasons:

1. Him and his agent feel like he won't get a max contract this year, and it would be better for him long term if he did not opt out this year.

2. He's so loyal to Houston that he'd like to honour the last year of his contract and not test FA (even though if he opted out, Houston can resign him).

Any other reasons?

I can't tell if your trying to be a smartazz here or what... I'm pretty sure your second reason contridicted your 1st reason.

clehmun
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I can't tell if your trying to be a smartazz here or what... I'm pretty sure your second reason contridicted your 1st reason.

Of course they contradict. It's one or the other.
I wasn't trying to be a smartazz, those are two possibilities that I can think of as reasons why he will not opt out.

unwantedplayer
06-29-2010, 04:37 PM
In other news the earth is rotating.

What way tho?

o.O

sep11ie
06-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Of course they contradict. It's one or the other.
I wasn't trying to be a smartazz, those are two possibilities that I can think of as reasons why he will not opt out.

I couldn't tell if you were using that as an either/or.

Russell_Roberts
06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
smart

Verbal Christ
06-29-2010, 05:08 PM
sure wish some 'analysts' on here would educate themselves prior to posting.

1. yao ming had the same exact procedure that zadrunas ilguaskas had, misshapen feet that were broken and set in place properly, yes serious, career ending? i guess watching yao run wind sprints at toyota center and work on post moves is end of the line for him.

2. yao ming is one of the most recognized sports players in the world. his chinese followers alone flood the rockets organization and NBA with insane amount of money, and Stern loves to cater to them. This would garner him a max contract from some sappy team who is treading water trying to write game checks. same cant be said for american has-beens like iverson because they dont have an international following.

3. if it were a loyalty issue yao wouldnt have played shady tactics, he knows his best chance to get paid AND possibly win a championship is here in houston ... why leave one of the deeper teams in the league to earn a few million more per year on a useless franchise?

rhino17
06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Yao is arguably the most valuable asset in the NBA, Lebron may be the only player more valuable to a franchise than him. There are numerous Rocket's games in china that have been more watched than the Superbowl in China. Dozens of Rockets players including Steve Francis, tmac, Chuck Hayes, Aaron Brooks, etc. (EVERY player on the Rockets gets a Chinese shoe deal). The Rockets are the most popular sports franchise in China thanks to Yao, not much is more valuable than that.