PDA

View Full Version : Rangers standing pat?

dashripdot
06-29-2010, 12:04 PM
If Sather is true to his word and makes no significant FA moves or trades, and re-signs the players he appears to be interested in bringing back (no Prospal or Shelley), is this what the Rangers will look like when they begin the season?

Dubinsky--Christensen(UFA)--Gaborik
(prospect/UFA/trade)--Anisimov--MZA
Avery--Drury--Callahan
Prust(RFA)--Boyle--Wiese

Staal(RFA)-------Girardi(RFA)
DelZotto---------Rozsival
Redden(ugh!)-----Gilroy/Potter/Sauer

Lundqvist
(???UFA/Johnson)

After seeing this writing on the wall, now I'm really hoping for an intelligent UFA signing and/or a trade to help out this group. I don't see any significant influx of youth here, just sticking with the "core" he's been talking about.

ElementCo27
06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
If Sather is true to his word and makes no significant FA moves or trades, and re-signs the players he appears to be interested in bringing back (no Prospal or Shelley), is this what the Rangers will look like when they begin the season?

Avery--Drury--Callahan
Prust(RFA)--Boyle--Wiese

Lundqvist
(???UFA/Johnson)

After seeing this writing on the wall, now I'm really hoping for an intelligent UFA signing and/or a trade to help out this group. I don't see any significant influx of youth here, just sticking with the "core" he's been talking about.

I think they should get rid of most of the old people with ridiculous contracts IMO. Package Drury and maybe a late pick in a future draft to a team in need of leadership, drop redden to the waivers, and trade Rozy while he's going a little uphill and put something with him too. As much as we like him too, I feel Avery has to leave too. His role on the team has diminished and he isn't going to produce much more with his stance in the NHL. I feel keeping Prospal and Shelley would be a good idea though because Vinny and Gaborik worked well together so they should keep it together. Shelley should also stay because of that deadly 4th line. Give that line more time though so AA can get more experience. Also, if there's money left after these signings, the Rangers should go after a backup instead if they're not keeping Auld. If there's enough, I say go for Nabokov if he's still available. Two star goalies would be great because it would give Hank a great amount of time off to prepare him for the playoffs. For the rest of the spots left, bring up the young guns and make Callahan the captain. Just a huge suggestion so don't put me on trial or anything :D

Bleeds MSG
06-29-2010, 12:25 PM
I can see Grachev making this team out of camp if we stand pat. I know his first AHL season was way down from his incredible junior numbers but he was impressive in the pre-season. I dont get that typical sense of indifference that you get from a lot of Russians from him either he seems committed to taking strides forward.

dashripdot
06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I think they should get rid of most of the old people with ridiculous contracts IMO. Package Drury and maybe a late pick in a future draft to a team in need of leadership, drop redden to the waivers, and trade Rozy while he's going a little uphill and put something with him too. As much as we like him too, I feel Avery has to leave too. His role on the team has diminished and he isn't going to produce much more with his stance in the NHL. I feel keeping Prospal and Shelley would be a good idea though because Vinny and Gaborik worked well together so they should keep it together. Shelley should also stay because of that deadly 4th line. Give that line more time though so AA can get more experience. Also, if there's money left after these signings, the Rangers should go after a backup instead if they're not keeping Auld. If there's enough, I say go for Nabokov if he's still available. Two star goalies would be great because it would give Hank a great amount of time off to prepare him for the playoffs. For the rest of the spots left, bring up the young guns and make Callahan the captain. Just a huge suggestion so don't put me on trial or anything :D

I agree that they should purge at least Redden and trade Rozsival, but it doesn't look like they will, based upon what Sather's been saying so far. Drury's nmc means he's not likely to be traded.

ElementCo27
06-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree that they should purge at least Redden and trade Rozsival, but it doesn't look like they will, based upon what Sather's been saying so far.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh I know I know, but they gotta give these kids a chance. Sather has to bite the bullet and realize that our young kids need to rise in order for us to even come close to a cup. We have a natural champion in our grasps anyway with Chris Kreider. The only thing he knows how to do is win lol.

Bleeds MSG
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM

I have to disagree on Avery - when he is on "his" game we are a much tougher team to play against and a much more entertaining team to watch. I think our success too often has directly hinged off of his play, to get rid of him would make us even more one-dimensional then we already are.

NYY09
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM

The first one just made me laugh, dunno why, just did.

Trouble scoring? No problem, we'll just add another goalie... (though I couldn't a thought like that past Sather)

NYY09
06-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Avery--Drury--Callahan
Prust(RFA)--Boyle--Wiese

Lundqvist
(???UFA/Johnson)

I believe nothing that man says, subsequently I believe nothing he does also...

ElementCo27
06-29-2010, 12:42 PM
I have to disagree on Avery - when he is on "his" game we are a much tougher team to play against and a much more entertaining team to watch. I think our success too often has directly hinged off of his play, to get rid of him would make us even more one-dimensional then we already are.

You definitely have a point and I agree, but this past year it just didn't seem the same as it used to be. His PIM wasn't due mainly to fights, they were due to avoidable penalties we could have done without. However, if Dallas is still paying for him, I'd keep him just for the sake of Sean Avery lol. He is a good player and if he brings that potential even further then I'd be happy with him. How much is he getting paid anyway?

Bleeds MSG
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
only 1.9 or 2 per by us so pretty good value

ElementCo27
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
The first one just made me laugh, dunno why, just did.

Trouble scoring? No problem, we'll just add another goalie... (though I couldn't a thought like that past Sather)

You don't agree that the 4th line was the most consistent line this past season? Because it definitely was. It was never separated after it was created throughout the last part of the season.

Now, you must not have read the rest of my post because 1) I said we should bring up the young guys which will be able to score and 2) getting Nabby would rest Lundqvist so he is ready for the playoffs. That was completely inept of what you said because, well, I shouldn't even have to explain why.

This team is ready to be a contender, Sather just needs to make the...right...choices...:facepalm:

ElementCo27
06-29-2010, 12:51 PM
only 1.9 or 2 per by us so pretty good value

Alright then, I take it back lol. Keep Avery :)

Foge7
06-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Edmonton just waived Moreau, O'Sullivan and Nilsson.

ElementCo27
06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Edmonton just waived Moreau, O'Sullivan and Nilsson.

The only one nearly worth anything is O'Sullivan, but he was a -35. That just might be because of Edmonton though lol.

Foge7
06-29-2010, 01:38 PM
I actually have some interest in O'Sullivan too, he's still young, got buried in a bad organization and it clearly hurt his play, however I think he's got some reasonable upside to him and might be worth the gamble for a decent price. Obviously not the big impact man were looking for but could provide another 30-40 pts on our 3rd or 4th line.

dashripdot
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM

It seems Avery's problem is Tortorella. Sometimes he has just the right edge to his game, sometimes not, but he seems to have had that problem only since Tortorella has been the coach. I don't know if it's a case of the coach sending him mixed signals, or Avery loses focus, or what it is. If he could play his game consistently, he's a good asset. Sometimes he does more harm than good. But at a $1.9 cap hit, he's staying whether I like him or not.

That's really the point of this thread -- you might agree with Sather's professed approach of no more high-priced FAs and develop the young talent, but that does not have to mean that you agree with what Sather is doing personnel-wise to accomplish the goal of developing the players. I think a few moves can be made to give the Rangers a fighting chance to go beyond round one of the playoffs without sacrificing all of the available cap space or trading away the best prospects. The above line-up won't cut it.

NYY09
06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
You don't agree that the 4th line was the most consistent line this past season? Because it definitely was. It was never separated after it was created throughout the last part of the season.

Now, you must not have read the rest of my post because 1) I said we should bring up the young guys which will be able to score and 2) getting Nabby would rest Lundqvist so he is ready for the playoffs. That was completely inept of what you said because, well, I shouldn't even have to explain why.

This team is ready to be a contender, Sather just needs to make the...right...choices...:facepalm:

No dude, I was just laughing at the combination of "deadly" and "fourth line". They were good, no doubt.

I did read the whole post and as for getting Nabby, I'm sorry but it makes very little sense to add a salary of 5mil + for a "back-up" especially when we have a hard enough time scoring. That money should be allocated elsewhere. And that should make sense because, well....

rocowear21
06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
I look at the starting lineup for the rangers and basically want to puke

Isca92
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Im perfectly fine with standing pat for the season. First off, the only way Nabby is coming to NY is if we trade Hank (which is dumb). Put Johnson in let him play 10-15 games. Im tired of watching Hank play 3 games in 4 nights.

Torts has Avery on a tight leash. Torts can't stand Avery, he never liked him called him an embarrassment to the game, on more than one occasion.

According to Jan Levine, they think McIlrath has a shot at making the team this year, if they don't go after a big name D. Should make for an interesting week.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jan-Levine/Rangers---Day-1---Prospect-Camp/89/29086

NYY09
06-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I loathe Dolan and Sather, but other than that Orange juice is a great source of vitamin C.

redwhiteandblue
06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Meh, I don't know how much I buy into that with McIlrath. From the video I saw at the draft he was a pretty bad skater. He would have to improve that greatly to be worth a roster spot this year.

mmmrevolver93
06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Waivers-Buyouts-and-Rumors-on-UFA-Day-Eve-Eve-Modano-to-Boston/1/29092

i think spezza is a good fit. he had a rough year last year but with a star winger he has proved to be a better player.. and he is only 28 there is no way he is done. Dont know if it is gonna happen but i would certainly endorse it.

dashripdot
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Im perfectly fine with standing pat for the season. First off, the only way Nabby is coming to NY is if we trade Hank (which is dumb). Put Johnson in let him play 10-15 games. Im tired of watching Hank play 3 games in 4 nights.

Torts has Avery on a tight leash. Torts can't stand Avery, he never liked him called him an embarrassment to the game, on more than one occasion.

According to Jan Levine, they think McIlrath has a shot at making the team this year, if they don't go after a big name D. Should make for an interesting week.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jan-Levine/Rangers---Day-1---Prospect-Camp/89/29086

Just the opposite on McIlrath: Levine said if anyone in the organization thinks he will be ready this year they should have their head examined. Funny, I haven't heard any quotes out of the Rangers brass thinking he would be ready. Universally believed he needs a year or two of experience before he gets a shot. (Cue the funeral dirge for the Undertaker) Prepare to suffer the rath of McIlrath! We can only hope.

NYY09
06-29-2010, 02:53 PM

Actually I believe she said anyone who thinks McIlrath will be ready this year should have their head examined. :shrug:

Isca92
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
I read that to quick. I thought it said he didnt think, he should make the team but management thought he could. my bad

thatguy
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
hmm... after seeing this it makes me wonder if there are any studs available with the #1 pick at next years draft.

mmmrevolver93
06-29-2010, 04:02 PM
i found a pretty intriguing article that actually sounds realistic.... let me know what you think

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2010/6/28/1541355/what-about-bobby-ryan

liltedspop
06-29-2010, 04:04 PM
I just read in Eklunds site that he's are speculating the Rangers are in on Spezza it does make sense & he would be a major upgrade at the position.

liltedspop
06-29-2010, 04:07 PM
To be honest with you I would not make that trade I'm no Staal lover as most of you know but Bobby Ryan is not enough of a return imo to trade Staal. Now if the deal was Jason Spezza as The Great Eklund mentioned then I would have to make that deal.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Meh, I don't know how much I buy into that with McIlrath. From the video I saw at the draft he was a pretty bad skater. He would have to improve that greatly to be worth a roster spot this year.

That reminded me of the day we drafted Staal years ago. I saw video of him and thought man he will have to improve his skating. :)

mmmrevolver93
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
To be honest with you I would not make that trade I'm no Staal lover as most of you know but Bobby Ryan is not enough of a return imo to trade Staal. Now if the deal was Jason Spezza as The Great Eklund mentioned then I would have to make that deal.

Ryan has had 2 consecutive 30+ goal campaigns and is still young. I like staal as well but if no fair deal can be reached (under 4 million) than i like this trade.

redwhiteandblue
06-29-2010, 06:44 PM
That reminded me of the day we drafted Staal years ago. I saw video of him and thought man he will have to improve his skating. :)

Haha yea I didn't even think about that. I remember when Staal got drafted too. There was this outside chance he would slip but I was surprised he did. Turned out to be great value for him, but your right his skating on tape didn't look NHL ready. He only needed one more year in juniors though.

Redfish
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Ryan has had 2 consecutive 30+ goal campaigns and is still young. I like staal as well but if no fair deal can be reached (under 4 million) than i like this trade.

Why make a trade when we can start with an offer sheet at, say, no more than ~$5.2mm per season? At this price, the compensation to the Ducks would be a 1st, 2nd (Rangers have an extra 2nd next year per the Sanguinetti trade), and 3rd.

Anything much above $5.2mm would require two #1 picks, and a 3rd. Not sure I'd reach this far though, what about you?

redwhiteandblue
06-29-2010, 06:55 PM
If things we're really going to all hell with Staal, I'd do the trade straight up for rights. Even if we were to get Ryan I'd try to get his rights before forking over a slew of draft picks in the future.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Haha yea I didn't even think about that. I remember when Staal got drafted too. There was this outside chance he would slip but I was surprised he did. Turned out to be great value for him, but your right his skating on tape didn't look NHL ready. He only needed one more year in juniors though.

When I saw video of Staal skating years ago I had some real concerns especially after he did drop. He kept working at things and he improved his skating a lot. I bet Dylan will as well. Dylan reportedly loves the game. Those guys work hard naturally. :)

Besides with guys like MDZ, Grachev, Stepan, AA and Krieder we are going to need somebody big, mean and nasty to take care of business but also be able to play the game 18-30 mpg . :)

jetsfan89
06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
When I saw video of Staal skating years ago I had some real concerns especially after he did drop. He kept working at things and he improved his skating a lot. I bet Dylan will as well. Dylan reportedly loves the game. Those guys work hard naturally. :)

Besides with guys like MDZ, Grachev, Stepan, AA and Krieder we are going to need somebody big, mean and nasty to take care of business but also be able to play the game 18-30 mpg . :)

Grachev, AA, and Kreider are all big guys. Though not necessarily mean or nasty.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Grachev, AA, and Kreider are all big guys. Though not necessarily mean or nasty.

Yeah they all have size which is good but they are not going to intimidate guys and they may need some protection here and there.

Dylan may give us a very important intimidation factor. Most guys who have played the game competitively knows there are just some guys you really hate playing against. Sometimes they arent good players or skilled players. They are the guys you know dont mind hacking your fingers, giving a face wash, etc.

I feel we have missed that hard to play against dimension for a long time. I know Orr was a good fighter and Avery will get under some guys skins but all in all I feel we have been a pretty easy to play against, clean finesse team on average that other teams looked forward to playing. Orr didnt play a regular shift and Ive always liked to have a couple of intimidating guys on the back line. Now I dont want to turn in to a dirty team. Maybe I'm stuck in the 1980's but I'm hoping Dylan can become a little like Barry Beck. :)

mmmrevolver93
06-29-2010, 08:05 PM
If things we're really going to all hell with Staal, I'd do the trade straight up for rights. Even if we were to get Ryan I'd try to get his rights before forking over a slew of draft picks in the future.

Yea i agree with you, giving up that many picks doesnt sound very appealing id rather just trade rights straight up.

ElementCo27
06-29-2010, 10:55 PM
No dude, I was just laughing at the combination of "deadly" and "fourth line". They were good, no doubt.

I did read the whole post and as for getting Nabby, I'm sorry but it makes very little sense to add a salary of 5mil + for a "back-up" especially when we have a hard enough time scoring. That money should be allocated elsewhere. And that should make sense because, well....

Alright lol, it is a conundrum though isn't it?

With Nabby though, I said if we have enough money we may as well, but it is true that if anything, we should add scoring depth. I have faith in the young guys though and that they will pull through for us. Just a thought lol.