PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Want Outfield, Pitching Prospects in Return for Cliff Lee

YankeeFan28
06-29-2010, 06:47 AM
The Mariners are fielding calls from contenders in both leagues about Lee's availability. According to several of those doing the calling, the Mariners are open to making a trade -- if they get a deal they like.

The question then is what exactly is it that the Mariners need?

Well, for one, don't look for Seattle to pick up players ready to make an impact right now. Why? Because short of adding Barry Bonds circa 1993 and Johnny Bench circa 1969, no additions are going to make this Seattle team competitive in 2010. The Mariners are 15 games out of first place as of Monday, and while it's possible Seattle will dig its way out of the cellar, it's unlikely in the extreme that they will contend this year in any meaningful way.

The kind of players the Mariners are likely to be most interested in from the Rangers, Dodgers, Mets and Twins and whoever else dials Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik's number will be young and extremely talented. They'll have to be players whose impact will most likely be felt not this year and maybe not even in 2011, but in 2012.http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/28/mariners-want-outfield-pitching-prospects-in-return-for-cliff-l/

Raidaz4Life
06-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Hmmm I think he'll end up with the Rangers.

agoody117
06-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Id give up Travis Wood and Chris Heisey for him.

We will be (hopefully) dumping harang next year anyways.

torontosports10
06-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Phillies:
Tyson Gillies- http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gillie001tys
Juan Ramirez- http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ramire006jua
Phillipe Aumount- http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=aumont001phi

Indians:
Carlos Carrasco- http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=carras002car
Lou Marson- http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=marson001lou
Jason Knapp- injured
Jason Donald- http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=donald001jas

Other then Donald, those are some ugly stats for the players Lee has been traded for.

Pinstripe pride
06-29-2010, 08:41 AM
i still think the mets will end up with him

Nymfan87
06-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Fernando Martinez and Jeurys Familia say hi to the Mariners :D

NateyB24
06-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Hmm must be for the left side or maybe the Right side in 2 years when Ichiros contract is up because CF is locked up for 5 years.

If F-Mart was the center piece that would be a steal that guys hurt all the time.

Gunzito22
06-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Kei Igawa and Chad Huffman FTW!!!!!!

JOSKOMANG4
06-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Like i wrote be4..

Mets will offer them

RHP Holt, LHP Niessen, OF F-Mart, & IF Tejada in exchanged for Cliff Lee.

Gunzito22
06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Like i wrote be4..

Mets will offer them

RHP Holt, LHP Niessen, OF F-Mart, & IF Tejada in exchanged for Cliff Lee.

sounds like an absolute HAUL for Cliff Lee... The Mets would be giving up too much, especially if its for just Cliff Lee.

MetsFan102
06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
This is perfect for the Mets, FMart, Familias/Mejia.Though I dont think they will get him because for some reason they have been reluctant to pull the trigger on big time trades at the deadline. If the Mets do I get him though I think they become the number 1 contender in the NL, and who knows possibly another Subway Series.

dodgerdave
06-29-2010, 12:00 PM
The Mariners can go to hell. They shouldn't get more than one prospect for a two-month rental for Lee.

NateyB24
06-29-2010, 12:13 PM
The Mariners can go to hell. They shouldn't get more than one prospect for a two-month rental for Lee.

?? I don't see him getting moved unless we get what we want. Z has been pretty succesful at building through the draft if you ask me so unless we get what we want i could see Z holding on to him and telling the other teams to go to hell.

Rivera
06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
ill give them johnathan van emery and josh reddik and felix dubont for cliff lee

sixer04fan
06-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Jayson Werth for Cliff Lee... Any takers?

kyubi256
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Funny how much FMart's stock has fallen. He was that "prospect" that everyone thought needed to be in the deal for Johan but he was not. Now he is just that guy we want to deal...

koLohe2133
06-29-2010, 12:44 PM
the dodgers should give up matt kemp and a prospect,.....

smking619
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies, JC Ramirez for Cliff Lee.

redsox0717
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Considering by trading him you are not only trading one of the best SP in baseball, you are also relinquishing the draft pick you would get for failure of re-signing him. He's worth a lot. And the Mariners will get a lot for him.

ritz
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Funny how much FMart's stock has fallen. He was that "prospect" that everyone thought needed to be in the deal for Johan but he was not. Now he is just that guy we want to deal...

That's what happens when you can't stay on the field. It sucks that both he and Havens can't stay healthy to save their lives. All I keep hearing is Havens is an "Utley-type" 2B. How I'd love to have that up here in a couple of years, but who knows if he'll pan out since he's always hurt.

Tulanehockey
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Colvin, Cashner, and Zambrano? Hahahaha

Young2Kinsler
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
A realistic offer from the Rangers... Michael Main, Kasey Kiker, and Engle Beltre.

Something around that should get it done.

metsbulls1025
06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Things are getting interesting. The Mariners are said to really like Thole.

The Mets just signed Michale Barrett to a minor league deal

The Mariners just DFA'd a catcher

All this happened with in an hour

infernoscurse
06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
trade cervelli, ivan nova, ramiro peņa and chad curtis for cliff lee

thats the best package ever

NateyB24
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Things are getting interesting. The Mariners are said to really like Thole.

The Mets just signed Michale Barrett to a minor league deal

The Mariners just DFA'd a catcher

All this happened with in an hour

To bring up Bard so i wouldn't pay to much attention to that to be honest.

Rivera
06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
trade cervelli, ivan nova, ramiro peņa and chad curtis for cliff lee

thats the best package ever

all these dudes are BUMS

Sick Of It All
06-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Cervelli and his Helmet could net you Pujols.

Ian.
06-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Please, please no Thole.

ILikeThePhils
06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies, JC Ramirez for Cliff Lee.

This.

You've got your outfield prospect and TWO pitching prospects. Great deal! It's like we let the Mariners borrow him for a couple months haha.

MattColby
06-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Please, please no Thole.

homestarunner93
06-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Colvin, Cashner, and Zambrano? Hahahaha

As a Cubs fan, why would you want to give up one of our best prospects in Cashner and another solid guy in Colvin for a half year rental? The Cubs aren't going to win anything this year anyways.

Sick Of It All
06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Thole is a career .300 in the majors. lol

sexicano31
06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
****, i think Phillip Aumonte, Tyson Gillies, and JC Ramirez will get it done...

Ian.
06-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't care if Thole is a career .320 hitter in the majors. We can get better.

Sick Of It All
06-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Thole just tied the game, he is clutch as well. Those intangibles man!!!!

lbz88
06-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Blanton, Kendrick, Baez, Savery, and Mayberry for Lee.

sexicano31
06-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Blanton, Kendrick, Baez, Savery, and Mayberry for Lee.

wow

Yankees Suck
06-30-2010, 12:42 AM

About time someone agrees with me.:clap:

Ian.
06-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Too bad they will...So...

poodski
06-30-2010, 11:25 AM
About time someone agrees with me.:clap:

The Mariners will get two draft picks if they hold on to him, unless they are getting a top 10 prospect in baseball they will be getting more than one player for him from a team.

Giannis94
06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Cody Scarpetta/Corey Hart

TheHughesUnit
06-30-2010, 02:34 PM
I know most of these deals are jokes but jeeze. F-art's trade value is extremely low. Why would Z give value to a kid who can't stay healthy? I could see the Cards getting him for Miller along with Jones and Sanchez.

magichatnumber9
06-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Sorry Seattle no one is buying your ******** strategy anymore. You reak of a bad con man

VRP723
06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
the dodgers should give up matt kemp and a prospect,.....

No, they absolutely should not

infernoscurse
06-30-2010, 02:46 PM
riveraveblues

“i like pitching here,” cliff lee said of yankee stadium last night. Oh, yeah.

:d

Ian.
06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Sorry Seattle no one is buying your ******** strategy anymore. You reak of a bad con man

What strategy is that? I'm just curious.

Are you referring to the pitching and defense strategy?

If that's the case, it seems to have worked on some level. They just need to get a few good bats in the lineup as well. Safeco field and the defense are making good pitchers out of back end guys.

Not only that, but you can't expect a team that was as bad as the 2008 Mariners to completely turn around after a season and a half. It takes time to build a successful franchise. Especially one as bad as the one that's been here for the last few years.

NateyB24
06-30-2010, 03:18 PM
No, they absolutely should not

Kemp would suffer in Safeco anyways.

GeronimoSon
06-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Evaluating a trade of a proven commodity (Lee) for minor league prospects: Short term, the established player will almost always return more than the prospects. That said, a trade of this type must be give a minimum of 18 months to two years to truly evaluate the effect of the trade.. eg. Casey Blake for Carlos Santana.. Santana stayed in the minors for the entire year while Mighty Casey performed at or above his historical averages.. I don't think anyone would trade Santana for Blake right now, do you? that said...

The Phillies were able to ride Lee and the rest of that talented team to a second appearance in the fall classic. While the Phillies fell short, Cliff Lee was stellar as he was able to get both of the their W's. Great early return for the Phillies.. The Phillies then traded Lee for three prospects.. How they are doing?.. It's yet to be determined.

The four players the Indians received in return for Lee have moved up through the Indians farm system. Jason Donald has played well both at AAA and for the Indians and may best be described as a "gamer". His make up and tenacity should serve him well. Lou Marson was installed as the every day starting catcher & did an adequate job of keeping the seat warm until Carlos Santana passed his "super two" deadline. Marson will not ever be considered the next Mauer or Bench, but, he is a serviceable back up catcher for the future. His defense and throwing was more than adequate. He's young. He should continue to improve.. Carlos Carrasco was installed in the rotation near the end of the 2009 season, where he struggled with command/walks. He has since been assigned to AAA Columbus where his numbers continue to improve. Look for him to be a mid season call up.. It may take more than a dozen or so starts to evaluate his ability, however, CC will get those starts this season. Jason Knapp is coming off shoulder surgery and this was "known" prior to the trade. He is throwing and will be in the "mix" for the High-A K-Tribe and should be able to put his career back on track. We will see with him..

One thing that the Indians appear to be pretty good at, evaluating other clubs' prospects. We will see..

ILikeThePhils
06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
December 15th, 2010: Lee Signs 8 year deal with Yankees

October 28th, 2011: Cliff Lee tosses Perfect Game in sweep of Reds in World Series

October 25th, 2012: Cliff Lee goes 4-0 in World Series Sweep of Braves. Heyward goes 0-17 with 16 K's and a popup to Cliff Lee.

November 2nd, 2018: Cliff Lee becomes new Mr. November with walk-off double off of Jonathan Broxton in Game 4 of the 2018 World Series against the Expansion Montreal Expos.

November 3rd, 2018: Ruben Amaro is promoted to Manager of Modell's Sporting Goods. Then he trades away all his good employees for younger, stupider ones.

April 5th, 2019: Wilson Valdez hits his 821st homerun to take over A-Rod's spot atop the All-Time Homerun list.

Nymfan87
06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
December 15th, 2010: Lee Signs 8 year deal with Yankees

October 28th, 2011: Cliff Lee tosses Perfect Game in sweep of Reds in World Series

October 25th, 2012: Cliff Lee goes 4-0 in World Series Sweep of Braves. Heyward goes 0-17 with 16 K's and a popup to Cliff Lee.

November 2nd, 2018: Cliff Lee becomes new Mr. November with walk-off double off of Jonathan Broxton in Game 4 of the 2018 World Series against the Expansion Montreal Expos.

November 3rd, 2018: Ruben Amaro is promoted to Manager of Modell's Sporting Goods. Then he trades away all his good employees for younger, stupider ones.

April 5th, 2019: Wilson Valdez hits his 821st homerun to take over A-Rod's spot atop the All-Time Homerun list.

M's fans think Cliff Lee can do that, apparently.

Zmaster52
06-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Fmart, Familia, and Kirk :D

nymetsrule
06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Oliver Perez for Lee straight up.

:drool:

Ian.
06-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Yep. Sure do. Kinda like Mets' fans overrate their prospects?

NateyB24
06-30-2010, 05:51 PM

^ I hope your being sarcastic lol. Were goona get atleast 1 blue chip player. Thinking of getting him for anything less you gotta be dreamin.

iggypop123
07-01-2010, 03:02 AM
i thought the M's wanted immediate help. if this is the case and are willing to take 2012 talent please rape the dodgers AA system, there is plenty of talent to go around, this team needs Lee

The Schmooze
07-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Yep. Sure do. Kinda like Mets' fans overrate their prospects?

Dont all fans overrated their prospects?

So do GMs. It's their job to hype up their players to try and project maximum value for these guys. Then we, the fans, get caught up in it

Young2Kinsler
07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
The Rangers' acquisition of Bengie Molina might be a preview of how Texas could work out a deal for Cliff Lee, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The team's financial situation didn't prevent them from adding Molina because they didn't take on any salary in the process, which is a strategy they'll likely try to employ again in negotiations for Lee.

In a series of tweets, Olney explains how the Rangers avoided a payroll increase in the Molina deal, and speculates that the Mariners could be persuaded to provide the Rangers salary relief in a Lee trade for a stronger package of prospects. Rosenthal agrees, writing that Texas is "so loaded with prospects" that a cash-neutral deal is a possibility for them. He also cites major-league sources who say that the club is "pushing hard" for Lee.

It remains to be seen, of course, if the Rangers would be willing to part with multiple top prospects for what would likely be a two- or three-month rental of the left-hander. In yesterday's round of Lee rumors, we heard that a few rival GMs think the Rangers would be better off holding onto those prospects.

Something that could happen, but I think it would requiring WAY overpaying.

acousticmike80
07-01-2010, 11:46 AM
It is the trendy thing for fans of other teams to comment on Mets prospects. Yet, the "farm" has produced Pelfrey, Niese, Wright, Reyes, Ike, Tejada, Thole, Parnell etc....all of which are very productive players.

Not to mention there are still many solidly rated prosepcts in the system.

Amazing how such a crappy system has produced enough to net players like Johan, Delgado, Putz etc.....

The Mets have enough to get any of these deals done. The question is just who will be included and if Seattle is interested in those guys.

I don't fault Jack Z for wanting premium talent. It is Cliff Lee. However, there is no reason the Mets (or anyone) should be offering their top 2-3 prospects for a guy who will walk in 3 months.

1 top prospect along with 1-2 projectable players should be a competitive offer.

Young2Kinsler
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
According to Jim Duquette of Sirius XM Radio and MLB Network, Cliff Lee told people around the club that Tuesday may have been his last start as a Mariner.
There's always the chance that it could be, as Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik would be silly to turn down an offer that he deems appropriate. It's no shock. Of all the names we will hear bandied about over the next month, Lee is the most likely one to go.

Hmmmm

ritz
07-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Cliff Lee just so happens to be on the same schedule as Hisanori Takahashi, who needs to go back into the bullpen. :D

Ian.
07-01-2010, 12:12 PM
It is the trendy thing for fans of other teams to comment on Mets prospects. Yet, the "farm" has produced Pelfrey, Niese, Wright, Reyes, Ike, Tejada, Thole, Parnell etc....all of which are very productive players.

Not to mention there are still many solidly rated prosepcts in the system.

Amazing how such a crappy system has produced enough to net players like Johan, Delgado, Putz etc.....

The Mets have enough to get any of these deals done. The question is just who will be included and if Seattle is interested in those guys.

I don't fault Jack Z for wanting premium talent. It is Cliff Lee. However, there is no reason the Mets (or anyone) should be offering their top 2-3 prospects for a guy who will walk in 3 months.

1 top prospect along with 1-2 projectable players should be a competitive offer.

We'll have to wait and see but, teams might offer that. So, to stay competitive in the market, the Mets will have to offer the same. Pretty simple logic.

acousticmike80
07-01-2010, 12:16 PM
We'll have to wait and see but, teams might offer that. So, to stay competitive in the market, the Mets will have to offer the same. Pretty simple logic.

It is possible. But, it would be an awful lot to give for a guy who will give you 12-14 starts roughly. Even though he is an absolute horse and worthy of a lot.

I guess it really comes down to whether the trading team thinks they can replenish their farm adequately with the 2 draft picks they could net.

Ian.
07-01-2010, 02:20 PM
It is possible. But, it would be an awful lot to give for a guy who will give you 12-14 starts roughly. Even though he is an absolute horse and worthy of a lot.

I guess it really comes down to whether the trading team thinks they can replenish their farm adequately with the 2 draft picks they could net.

Any good GM should be able to do so as long as they don't draft due to signability.

Felix Hernandez and Cliff Lee have dominated one after the other multiple times this year. In a short series Lee and another ace can be filthy. I'd take the chance at a WS for two prospects that you can probably replace via draft.

ritz
07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Seeing Lee and King Felix both pitch CGs against the Yankees in NY just made me think of Anchorman.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!"

I was most certainly impressed.

Young2Kinsler
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
If Seattle is smart, they would be on the phone to Texas today. We are aparantly open to letting people rape us this trade deadline. Maybe we can give you 5 or 6 top 10 prospects for Lee?