PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought (Miami owns Toronto's Lottery Pick)

Wade>You
06-29-2010, 06:35 AM
... Miami will receive forwards Jermaine O'neal, Jamario Moon, and a future first-round draft pick to come sometime between 2010 and 2015. It's lottery-protected, essentially meaning the first time the Raptors make the playoffs after this season, their first-rounder goes to Miami.

(edit: I noticed a few people here didn't understand what this means, so I'll spell it out: Toronto has up till the 2014-2015 season to make the playoffs. If they do not make the playoffs by then, their next draft pick belongs to Miami automatically, regardless of where they are in the standings)

If Bosh wants to sign outright with Miami, Toronto would be devastated for years with nothing to show for Bosh and quite a few albatross contracts to hinder any chance of improvement. They could very well find themselves still in the lottery by the time their lottery protection expires.

If Colangelo won't budge on a Bosh S&T with Miami, then the Raps might go through a dark age where all his follies as a GM will plague their franchise. And the Heat will have a title contending team with a chance to have the first pick in the 2015 draft.

S&Ting Bosh to Miami might be as easy as trading the Raps draft pick back to them AS LONG AS Bosh has already decided to sign with the Heat.

Venomous88
06-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Did you finish reading your quote? It says that it's lottery-protected, meaning that Miami gets Toronto's pick if they make the playoffs between 2010-2015, not that Miami will receive the pick even if Toronto is a lottery team. Your reading comprehension skills need much improvement.

torontosports10
06-29-2010, 06:59 AM
:facepalm:

Gxray
06-29-2010, 06:59 AM
it’s a 2010 pick lottery protected through 2014. If Toronto doesn’t make the 2010 playoffs and keeps the pick, they will give up a second rounder that year to the Heat. If the Raptors don’t make the playoffs between 2010 and 2014, they would give up their 2015 first-round choice to Miami.

If they don't make the playoffs by 2014, Miami gets Toronto's first round in 2015 regardless of where they finish.

Wade>You
06-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Toronto has till 2015 to make the playoffs. After that, it is no longer lottery protected.

Venomous88
06-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Lol, by his logic, Miami would've had the 13th pick in the draft this year.

Either way, Toronto not making the playoffs this year was good news for Miami because we now got an additional 2nd round pick for whenever the Raptors make the playoffs for now on.

Raidaz4Life
If Bosh wants to sign outright with Miami, Toronto would be devastated for years with nothing to show for Bosh and quite a few albatross contracts to hinder any chance of improvement. They could very well find themselves still in the lottery by the time their lottery protection expires.

If Colangelo won't budge on a Bosh S&T with Miami, then the Raps might go through a dark age where all his follies as a GM will plague their franchise. And the Heat will have a title contending team with a chance to have the first pick in the 2015 draft.

S&Ting Bosh to Miami might be as easy as trading the Raps draft pick back to them AS LONG AS Bosh has already decided to sign with the Heat.

lol

Venomous88
Toronto has till 2015 to make the playoffs. After that, it is no longer lottery protected.Understood

Wade>You
06-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Venmous: I could've embarassed you so badly right now, but I chose not to. From your "you need to improve your reading comprehension skills" comments, to you failing to actually read and/or comprehened the article or what I was saying.

Hell, even after you were corrected by me and Gxray, you still tried to go on and prove that you're embarrassing screw up was somehow my fault.

Take this as a lesson learned; a guy that could've embarrassed you so badly chose to be humble and politely correct you. Maybe you should try being a bit more polite in the future?

magichatnumber9
06-29-2010, 07:19 AM
There gonna have dark days in Toronto WTF:facepalm:. When have they ever had light days?

Wade>You
06-29-2010, 07:25 AM
There gonna have dark days in Toronto WTF:facepalm:. When have they ever had light days?If they lose Bosh for nothing while having to swallow Calderon Hedo and Bargnani's contracts, I'd say every day in their history prior to 2010 would be the Raptor's glory days for a loooooong time to come.

Corey
06-29-2010, 07:31 AM
It could very well be a lottery pick in 2015.

Wade>You
06-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Most Raps fans and analysts felt they should have never traded a first rounder because of the uncertainty surrounding their future. If Bosh leaves, every draft pick matters for a very long time. And that was before they signed Turkoglu and Bargnani to those big contracts.

This is the reason why Raps fans were so pissed off (<- sorry if that's not allowed, just edit it) at Colangelo for the Marion-JO trade and a big part of the reason many had declared it a lopsided trade in favor of Miami -- the first rounder the Raps gave up.

Last thing: there's plenty of teams in the East that seem better prepared for future playoff runs than the Raps.

See you later everyone.

NYK|NYY
06-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Guys there's nothing wrong with trading draft picks, everyone's doing it. Right?!??!

spreadeagle
06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
There gonna have dark days in Toronto WTF:facepalm:. When have they ever had light days?

Bosh leaves 30 million on the table if he doesnt sign and trade..He doesnt have many endorsment deals..thats a whole lot of doe..Im guessing Deng and pics from Chicago or Beasley and picks from heat

NYK|NYY
06-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Bosh leaves 30 million on the table if he doesnt sign and trade..He doesnt have many endorsment deals..thats a whole lot of doe..Im guessing Deng and pics from Chicago or Beasley and picks from heat

I wouldn't want Deng, but I'd definitely look into Beasley.

spreadeagle
06-29-2010, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't want Deng, but I'd definitely look into Beasley.

I would kill for Noah from Chicago but apparently they dont want to part with him.Hes exactly what we need

cowboysceltics
06-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Are we really worried about 5 years from now! Wow! A lot can happen in 5 years. Maybe the raptors will have the number 1 pick in the draft next year and get a mega superstar. Maybe that pick won't be so high. I think the raptors should worry about 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

spreadeagle
06-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Are we really worried about 5 years from now! Wow! A lot can happen in 5 years. Maybe the raptors will have the number 1 pick in the draft next year and get a mega superstar. Maybe that pick won't be so high. I think the raptors should worry about 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
Co sign:clap:

projectk7
06-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Coming from a Raps fan, it'll surprise you that I think the Raps will do better without Bosh. Bosh is a solid player, but he definately ain't a leader and he can't carry a team. Basically my little spiel is just summarizing my thought that without Bosh we will be able to make the playoffs before 2015, meaning you'll be getting a 16-25 pick within the next few years.

He doesn't know how to pass. He is so predictable and when he makes his mind up that he's going to shoot, he always does no matter the situation. Double team? no problem, he just misses.

His type of game doesn't allow him to be successful in the clutch minutes of a basketball game. Whenever the Raps were in a close game, Bosh would demand the ball and usually get double teamed. Instead of passing, he tries driving to the net and usually bricks it.

Which leads to another point, since he is a big man with limited handling ability, he isn't the type of player who can hold onto the ball with 6-7 seconds left in a game and create his own shot a la Kobe, Durant, Wade, etc. That is expected since he's a big man, but he also doesn't have a turnaround jump shot like Kevin Garnett. Basically, every time the Raps were down by 2, 1 or tied with the chance to win we'd give the Ball to Bosh and almost always he'd miss. I have more confidance giving Jarrett Jack or Hedo Turkoglu, and hell even Bargnani the ball for the last shot as opposed to Bosh.

You're going to see a totally different type of team next year without him. Honestly I'm happy he's leaving. Davis will come in and rebound/defend... something we've been lacking. Most likely we'll trade Calderon (can't defend anyone in the league) and let Jack man the point. Bargs will score 20+ and Turk (if he stays) will surprise the league by having a comeback year since he'll be getting way more touches without Bosh.

Will we win? Who knows, but we sure as hell weren't winning with Bosh and don't think we ever would have with him as our #1 option. As a #2 option he is perfect and if he goes somewhere with Lebron/Wade, that team will be unstoppable. If Miami gets him you guys will be tough to beat. But make sure you guys sign and trade beasley and 1st back to us!

MaHaRaJaH
06-29-2010, 08:53 AM
It could very well be a lottery pick in 2015.

It's not that hard to make the playoffs in the east.

ATX
06-29-2010, 09:07 AM
If they lose Bosh for nothing while having to swallow Calderon Hedo and Bargnani's contracts, I'd say every day in their history prior to 2010 would be the Raptor's glory days for a loooooong time to come.

Wade>You, Welcome back from the dead!

:cheers:

B2theRY
06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
alot can change in 5years from now.

if the raptors suck for the bext4 yrs and keep getting high picks if they draft properly 2015 they could be pretty damn good

who the hell knows what will happen
in 5yrs wade lbj bosh will all be FA again

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
this guy talks against himself

king4day
06-29-2010, 10:54 AM
I think they'll make the playoffs before then. Even without Bosh. Unless you're the Knicks management, it's extremely difficult to miss the playoffs for 5 straight years.

Bob_at_york
06-29-2010, 11:35 AM

I agree with you but what I think was especially embarassing last season was Raptors fans rooting against the Raptors because they wanted to keep this year's pick (and of course lose the 2nd rounder in the process), setting up the possible scenario that Wade>you just described.

phoenix_bladen
06-29-2010, 12:02 PM
if we had made the playoffs this year we certainly would not have gotten ed davis

so it depends what type of player ed davis turns into ......

that might save the franchise more than the pick in 2015....... hopefully!

phoenix_bladen
06-29-2010, 12:02 PM
if we had made the playoffs this year we certainly would not have gotten ed davis

so it depends what type of player ed davis turns into ......

that might save the franchise more than the pick in 2015....... hopefully!

Wade>You
07-07-2010, 01:20 PM
:D
;)

Looks like Brian Colangelo will never have a career as an NBA GM. Bosh is willing to sign outright with Miami to make this thing happen AND helps the team benefit since we still have the future first round lottery protected. Raps got nothing in return for Bosh.

S-Dot
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
;)

Looks like Brian Colangelo will never have a career as an NBA GM. Bosh is willing to sign outright with Miami to make this thing happen AND helps the team benefit since we still have the future first round lottery protected. Raps got nothing in return for Bosh.

that's not colangelo's fault. Chris Bosh was able to sign with them without Miami having to give up anything if I'm not mistaken. Nothing Colangelo can do about that. I think he's a pretty good GM.

Sly Guy
07-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I actually believe it's a good thing BC didn't put $30mil in Bosh's pocket and take on Beasley.

Now, the JO trade that gave Miami the ability to sign him and gave Miami that pick in the first place.....well that I can blame him for.

Gambeezy
07-07-2010, 01:34 PM

:clap: agreed. Don't leave us again. You single-handedly have the greatest name on PSD.

nstojic
07-07-2010, 01:39 PM
best.....thread.....ever....

uchiha
07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
dammnnn Wade>You, haven't seen
you around since we were two of the very few people posting in Heat game threads back in 07, nice to see you back (for now atleast)

Gibby
07-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Raps have 4 seasons to make the playoffs. 4 years is a long time.

ldc62
07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
WHo cares? The trade happened a long time ago.

Wade>You
07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
that's not colangelo's fault. Chris Bosh was able to sign with them without Miami having to give up anything if I'm not mistaken. Nothing Colangelo can do about that. I think he's a pretty good GM.He was reluctant to do a S&T to the destination Bosh wanted to go to (Miami with Wade). Bosh felt he was trying to dictate his free agency. Bosh said "Ok, I'll just sign outright and you'll have nothing to show for losing me. BTW, my new team also has your draft pick."

S-Dot
07-07-2010, 02:12 PM
He was reluctant to do a S&T to the destination Bosh wanted to go to (Miami with Wade). Bosh felt he was trying to dictate his free agency. Bosh said "Ok, I'll just sign outright and you'll have nothing to show for losing me. BTW, my new team also has your draft pick."

D**m, did CB4 really say that? Thats a bit much for a franchise that has treated him pretty well.

HiphopRelated
07-07-2010, 02:12 PM
that's locked in the vault until 2015

Raps aren't going anywhere

Rego247
07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
He was reluctant to do a S&T to the destination Bosh wanted to go to (Miami with Wade). Bosh felt he was trying to dictate his free agency. Bosh said "Ok, I'll just sign outright and you'll have nothing to show for losing me. BTW, my new team also has your draft pick."

lol u sound like chris broussard. thats verbatim of what he said on espn. nothing is set in stone, he still might do the sign and trade. like wade and bosh said, they havent even signed off on the terms yet. we still might get something back. boshs ego wont let him sign for less than the max imo.

Slimsim
07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
That's not even fair.

scotttube
07-07-2010, 02:37 PM
If we don't make the playoffs in the next 4 years with 4 more lottery picks and an 8 team playoff we deserve to lose that 2015 pick.

Bigbadmoffo
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM

I think it's great for Toronto. They can rebuild and the young guys can actually get the ball instead of Diva Bosh trying to win the game alone. We all know how well that worked out. If Miami doesn't ge Lebron they're not gonna win no champioship with this team. They have no defence and no depth. Not to mention they have financial restraints do to the fact they're starting from scratch. I think at the end of the day Bosh and Wade will tire out and injuries will come into play.

Wade>You
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
dammnnn Wade>You, haven't seen
you around since we were two of the very few people posting in Heat game threads back in 07, nice to see you back (for now atleast)lol thank you glad to be back and see you around, uchiha! :)

Bigbadmoffo
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Are ppl really thinking this pick means anything. If toronto can't rebuild to atleast an 8th place team by 2015 then basketball will be gone from here anyways. Without Bosh stealing all the possesions we might actually get a guy who can run a team.
Bosh's numbers in Miami 17ppg 8rpg .5blk .3steals That's my prediction.

Wade>You
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
D**m, did CB4 really say that? Thats a bit much for a franchise that has treated him pretty well.No, he didn't really say that, Chris Broussard said the part about he felt they tried to dictate his Free Agency. The rest is just insinuated on what probably went on in the negotiations. Chris Bosh realized that the Raps had no leverage other than to try and screw him out of money, so he fired back and decided to commit to Miami without an S&T required.

As BC, try explaining to your owner why you have nothing to show for Chris Bosh except the multi year deals from Hedo/Calderon/Bargs and why the team that Bosh signed with has your lottery protected draft pick that expires in 2015.

blah-blah
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
**** you miami

Wade>You
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM

:clap: agreed. Don't leave us again. You single-handedly have the greatest name on PSD.Thank you guys, sorry about that. I explained a lot on the other forum. Don't know if we're still allowed to mention it by name. I'll be there more often, but will chime here when I can. Thanks again!

pebloemer
07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Lots can happen in 5 years. Wasted time to speculate everything that can happen from now until then.

the_jon
07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
This

Wade>You
07-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Lots can happen in 5 years. Wasted time to speculate everything that can happen from now until then.The Contracts of Bargs/Hedo/Calderon are on the books for about 4 years. Barring any trades, this will be your team for the next 4 years + the MLE and draft picks you will continue to commit to salary.

Don't forget y'all just signed Amir Johnson to a similar contract. Unless the Raps are playing to make the playoffs just to prove that Miami did not get the best of them, you'd still have to commit more contracts to your current salary. It's a slippery slope. You're better off just getting your draft pick back and the TPE Miami was offering to get the rebuilding process off to the right start.

But we'll have to wait and see. Like you said.

pebloemer
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
The Contracts of Bargs/Hedo/Calderon are on the books for about 4 years. Barring any trades, this will be your team for the next 4 years + the MLE and draft picks you will continue to commit to salary.

Don't forget y'all just signed Amir Johnson to a similar contract. Unless the Raps are playing to make the playoffs just to prove that Miami did not get the best of them, you'd still have to commit more contracts to your current salary. It's a slippery slope. You're better off just getting your draft pick back and the TPE Miami was offering to get the rebuilding process off to the right start.

But we'll have to wait and see. Like you said.

Draft pick back and TPE would be a great package back, I don't know why management would not take that if it was offered. Can you confirm that was the offer? I heard it was taking Beasley back...

Turk, Jose can be traded and I'm sure over the next 4 years they will, and I am personally fine with Amir and Bargs' contracts. But just because they are our largest contracts doesn't mean they are necessarily our core for the next 4 years. Trades can happen, draft picks and young talent develop, signings can be made. You can't predict anything 4 years down the road. Too much time and too much basketball to be played. But overall the inclusion of the first overall in the JO deal certainly hurt. Overall, the scrambling to build enough around Bosh to keep him happy was a huge mistake and will force a rebuild that does have the possibility to drag on.

Gup
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Once Bosh went down at the end of the Season, our team sucked!

With Bosh leaving it doesnt open up alot of cap space to go out and sign a big name FA. So unless its a sign and trade, Toronto will be in the lottery next year for sure.

Who will rebound the ball for Tdot now? Bargs? Turk? lol haha
A better question would be; who will play defense? Jose? Turk? Bargs? lol haha

Its going to be a long year next year in Rap Land

Thisisouryear!!
07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
thats what i was thinking this whole time could toronto be that dumb not to do a sign and traade? just ask for your first round pick back and miamis first in 2014 or something and its a done deal. or just your first back and a trade exemption.....something along those line....

Could toronto be that dumb?

Magic Bean Fury
07-07-2010, 03:36 PM
I think Toronto is better off for not having overpayed for the Rupaul of big men. Should have tried to get some picks through S&T. As history shows good picks can come at any number in the first round or even second round.

Bob_at_york
07-07-2010, 04:02 PM
;)

Looks like Brian Colangelo will never have a career as an NBA GM.

I agree Brian Colangelo will never have a career as an NBA GM. Meanwhile Bryan Colangelo has had quite a good one and now that he doesn't have to try and keep Bosh happy all the time, he will have a lot more freedom.