PDA

View Full Version : Former Cubs News: Prior to make comeback?

BcEuAbRsS
06-29-2010, 12:50 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-June-052910

Prior, 29, will work out for major league clubs at USC on Wednesday. Prior, who has not pitched in the big leagues since going 1-6 in nine games with the Cubs in 2006, has been working with USC pitching coach Tom House, the former big-league pitching coach who has worked with Prior since his high school days in San Diego.

Most major league teams are expected to have a scout in attendance.
Prior was the second player selected in the 2001 draft, Minnesota opting for high school catcher Joe Mauer, and then Twins general manager Terry Ryan being criticized at the time for passing on a pitcher that many claimed was ready to step directly into a big-league rotation.

Prior did receive a then-record $10.5 million signing bonus, and appeared to validate the Cubs decision in 2003, his first full big-league season, when he was 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA. Prior, however, developed shoulder problems that required surgery after that season, and has made only 57 big league starts since.

Tracy Ringolsby

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 12:55 AM
I feel like he has tried to come back about 5 times since 2006.

captainatheism
06-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Good for him, he's one of my favorites. If he pitched for us again I'd cream myself.

Yagyu+
06-29-2010, 01:36 AM
I feel like he has tried to come back about 5 times since 2006.

Seen the episode featuring Tiny Town and the jet pack?

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 02:07 AM
:( I miss him.

duce5858
06-29-2010, 02:14 AM
he was on the juice big time, thats why his arm ligaments are shot

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 02:19 AM
Seen the episode featuring Tiny Town and the jet pack?

Indeed, I have. It's a funny one.

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 02:21 AM

That's actually not true at all. He was born with a separated shoulder, some weird rare thing. That's why his arm kept falling apart. It had nothing to do with steroids. That would have come out by now. The actual issue was just that he was genetically gifted and ****ed all at once. Baker ****ed up with him and sped up the inevitable explosion of his arm, but it was going to happen no matter what.

Milnertime
06-29-2010, 04:44 AM
That's actually not true at all. He was born with a separated shoulder, some weird rare thing. That's why his arm kept falling apart. It had nothing to do with steroids. That would have come out by now. The actual issue was just that he was genetically gifted and ****ed all at once. Baker ****ed up with him and sped up the inevitable explosion of his arm, but it was going to happen no matter what.
This.

I don't see any possibility of Prior coming back to the Cubs, but if he did, and if he was even half of what he was before, I'd be OK with it.

Cubs Fan 4Ever
06-29-2010, 05:16 AM

I'd like to have Dusty back rather than Lou

Milnertime
06-29-2010, 07:27 AM
I'd like to have Dusty back rather than Lou
Six of one...

Vandelay16
06-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Good for Prior, I really wish the Cubs would take a look at him and maybe make him into a bullpen guy. I still have an autographed Prior photo from his rookie year.

Englishteach
06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
I would just like there to be some use for my Prior jersey again.

Str1fe5
06-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Nothing in sports makes me get upset every time that I think about it other than when I think of Mark Prior...

:sigh:

chi416
06-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Do you have a source for this because I have never seen this cited anywhere and a google search turns up absolutely nothing to support this (I'm not calling BS, I'm just curious where you saw this because I've never heard mention of it). All I have ever heard was that he had flawless mechanics and was unlikely to ever breakdown but when they re-examined his mechanics many felt it is what contributed to his injuries -- the process of scapular loading in particular.

Str1fe5
06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Do you have a source for this because I have never seen this cited anywhere and a google search turns up absolutely nothing to support this (I'm not calling BS, I'm just curious where you saw this because I've never heard mention of it). All I have ever heard was that he had flawless mechanics and was unlikely to ever breakdown but when they re-examined his mechanics many felt it is what contributed to his injuries -- the process of scapular loading in particular.

I've read it in a couple of places. Essentially after 2007 they went in and found that he had a genetic "looseness" in either his shoulders specifically or in his joints all around - which helped to contribute to the fluid motion he has/had when throwing and ease at which he was able to generate velocity. The problem was that the presently questionable Tom House school of pitching mechanics caused a rapid increase in the looseness in his throwing arm that seriously weakened his strength and durability in the area.

The article that comes to mind came out during ST in 2008 when Prior was with the Padres. After he went back in for his injury for 2007 they told him he had some kind of genetic loosness. There's a reference to it on his wiki page. If you google "mark prior loose shoulder" it'll come up with some stuff about it.

BDawk4Prez
06-29-2010, 11:00 AM

comeback # 95732974092490

Steve Kerr
06-29-2010, 11:32 AM
I think he was on the juice too....come on did you see that guys calves. If he wasn't on the juice he must have just lifted his calves constantly....lol

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I think he was on the juice too....come on did you see that guys calves. If he wasn't on the juice he must have just lifted his calves constantly....lol

No I didn't see his calves... he wore socks, like all players do.

scrubs101
06-29-2010, 12:32 PM

link to this story?

first I've heard of this...

eidt: nm I see chi416 already asked

Cubs420
06-29-2010, 12:59 PM

O no doubt about it...

I loved Mark Prior, but of course the Cubs couldn't have a young stud pitcher that would eventually turn into a multi-year all-star... It wouldn't make any sense for the cubs to have that :(

Yagyu+
06-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Nothing in sports makes me get upset every time that I think about it other than when I think of Mark Prior...

Jay Williams's motorcycle crash bugs me.

Tyrus Thomas for LaMarcus Aldridge too.

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Guys if Prior had been juicing it would have come out with all the 2003 drug testing. He was in the MLB at the time and was tested. That **** would have come out for SURE with all his injury history. His injuries were/are because of genetics, not because of cheating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2848291

Prior went to Dr. Lewis Yocum in California before going to see Andrews, who told Prior last October he had genetic looseness in his shoulder joints.

ggross
06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Jay Williams's motorcycle crash bugs me.

Tyrus Thomas for LaMarcus Aldridge too.

Besides the whole Prior thing and the 2 things above, in no particular order, Chicago sports things that I had a hard time with were/are:

Brock - Broglio
Ken Hubbs plane crash.
Willie Gallimore/Al Farrington accident.
Green Bay's cheap shot on Jim McMahon
1984 Cubs Game 5 in SD
2003 Cubs Game 6 in Chi
August and September, 1969
Garciaparra
The Piccolo thing

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. Some of the Bears late 80s playoff games were awful.

scrubs101
06-29-2010, 01:47 PM
This: "He was born with a seperated shoulder, some weird rare thing" sounds a little dramatic after you read this: "Prior went to Dr. Lewis Yocum in California before going to see Andrews, who told Prior last October he had genetic looseness in his shoulder joints."

just sayin

Yagyu+
06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
ggross, I'm hoping Bulls Off Season/Free Agency 2010 doesn't get added to that list.

ggross
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
ggross, I'm hoping Bulls Off Season/Free Agency 2010 doesn't get added to that list.

Me too, Yagyu. I'm afraid if they wind up with either Wade or Amare, it will.

redwhitenblue
06-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah, totally obvious.

Except when that dumb crap started being said in 2005, I posted pictures of Prior in his USC days, minor league days, start of his ML career and later in his ML career and there was NO difference whatsoever.

Some guys just naturally have big calves, I have calves similar to Prior. Never worked them out a ton, they just naturally grew pretty f'in big.

Anyways, if a guy was juicing, why exactly would his calves grow so much?

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah, totally obvious.

Except when that dumb crap started being said in 2005, I posted pictures of Prior in his USC days, minor league days, start of his ML career and later in his ML career and there was NO difference whatsoever.

Some guys just naturally have big calves, I have calves similar to Prior. Never worked them out a ton, they just naturally grew pretty f'in big.

Cause he took Cow Steriods, duh.

man man
06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Meh.

cowboydoc45
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, totally obvious.

I agree. I have pretty large calves also, and have never really done any lifting. I do however do a lot of running, and do the "evolution" running where you run on your fore foot, which probably accounts for why they are the way they are. That could very well be the same thing for Prior.

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
This: "He was born with a seperated shoulder, some weird rare thing" sounds a little dramatic after you read this: "Prior went to Dr. Lewis Yocum in California before going to see Andrews, who told Prior last October he had genetic looseness in his shoulder joints."

just sayin

How is that dramatic. It's exactly what I said. Genetic looseness in his shoulders is actually quite a bit worse than just a separated shoulder. Because it appeared he was just fine. Then it totally ****ed him over after being worked like a dog for a few years in the MLB. Sorry I didn't know the exact name for it, but it is some rare genetic **** that he has.

ggross
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
My hair used to look just like Prior's.

BDawk4Prez
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
I have 2 arms, just like Prior?

ggross
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Weird stuff

cd95d6
06-29-2010, 04:11 PM

I bet he resembles Calista Flockhart...

SKULLDUG
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
i would love to see him picked up by any team.

zambo4president
06-29-2010, 04:36 PM
This is like going on Facebook and looking at your ex's profile :cry: Stop playing with our emotions like this is just all a game Mark! It won't ever be the same between Chicago and Mark :sigh:

cowboydoc45
06-29-2010, 04:41 PM
This is like going on Facebook and looking at your ex's profile :cry: Stop playing with our emotions like this is just all a game Mark! It won't ever be the same between Chicago and Mark :sigh:

Actually, I have been known to do that when I need a good laugh... nothing like watching the ex go down the toilet faster than a bad burrito from a hole in the wall taco stand...

BDawk4Prez
06-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Actually, I have been known to do that when I need a good laugh... nothing like watching the ex go down the toilet faster than a bad burrito from a hole in the wall taco stand...

I didn't realize the chicks you dated even had opposable thumbs, let alone able to type on facebook. :shrug:

zambo4president
06-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Your boy zambo is right there with ya, My favorite was all the guys I knew she hated trying to hit on her when her status went to single

zambo4president
06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I didn't realize the chicks you dated even had opposable thumbs, let alone able to type on facebook. :shrug:

:laugh2: Come on now everyone knows sweatshop workers need there thumbs to lace the shoes up... As far as facebook though... .. ... ... He made a duplicate account?

homestarunner93
06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I've read it in a couple of places. Essentially after 2007 they went in and found that he had a genetic "looseness" in either his shoulders specifically or in his joints all around - which helped to contribute to the fluid motion he has/had when throwing and ease at which he was able to generate velocity. The problem was that the presently questionable Tom House school of pitching mechanics caused a rapid increase in the looseness in his throwing arm that seriously weakened his strength and durability in the area.

The article that comes to mind came out during ST in 2008 when Prior was with the Padres. After he went back in for his injury for 2007 they told him he had some kind of genetic loosness. There's a reference to it on his wiki page. If you google "mark prior loose shoulder" it'll come up with some stuff about it.

I have the same type of genetic looseness in my shoulders. I can't believe Prior made it as far as he did. While he's obviously much more athletically gifted than I am, my shoulders are already ****ed at age 17. I'm having arthroscopic surgery on one this month.

Doogolas
06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
I have the same type of genetic looseness in my shoulders. I can't believe Prior made it as far as he did. While he's obviously much more athletically gifted than I am, my shoulders are already ****ed at age 17. I'm having arthroscopic surgery on one this month.

Jesus. That sucks dude. I mean, I'm assuming you're serious. In which case, that really blows. Sorry.

homestarunner93
06-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Jesus. That sucks dude. I mean, I'm assuming you're serious. In which case, that really blows. Sorry.

Yeah, I'm serious. You'll see come July 21st when all I can do is sit on the computer or X-Box or PS3 because I can't do anything other than stuff right in front of my face for a month.

Tehjosha
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Every time I think of Prior I always think about what might have been.

I wish him luck but he will probably never be the pitcher that he was in 2003.

scrubs101
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Every time I think of Prior I always think about what might have been.

I wish him luck but he will probably never be the pitcher that he was in 2003.

thats a pretty bold prediction :laugh2:

redwhitenblue
06-29-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree. I have pretty large calves also, and have never really done any lifting. I do however do a lot of running, and do the "evolution" running where you run on your fore foot, which probably accounts for why they are the way they are. That could very well be the same thing for Prior.
Hmm...I never heard the "evolution running" but I also run often (or ran often up until a month ago) and also run heavily on the balls of my feet.

redwhitenblue
06-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Speaking of ex-Cubs: Farnsworth is dominating in KC.

CUBDOM4life
06-29-2010, 11:27 PM
God this brings back the memories of having the best pitcher in baseball for a season and a half.

:(

If he makes a comeback, I will instantly become a fan of that team.

CUBDOM4life
06-29-2010, 11:29 PM

God this brings back the old memories of Paul Wilson laying in the dirt, in the missionary position.

:(

Captain Obvious
06-29-2010, 11:51 PM

First glance at his stats says that he is pretty lucky, with a .288 BABIP. Also, his K/9 and BB/9 are at all time lows. Well, his K/9 was lower in 1999, but that was a decade ago and he was a starter. Judging my this, my first thought is that he is hitting the zone more consistently and he is getting more contact off of him.

Interesting, his LD% is really high, at 24.7%, the highest of his career by more than 1%. However, he is only giving up HR on 6.5% of his fly balls. It seems that what he is doing what he used to do, throw his fastball. A lot. He is throwing it 27% more than he was last year. He is also throwing his slider at a career low 9.9%. He is throwing his Cutter less as well, down over 10% from last year. However, he just started throwing that cutter last year. What he is doing more is throwing his change-up, at a mere 3.4%, the highest since 2002.

Now taking a look at his plate discipline, one thing stands out. Opposing batters are swinging at pitches out of the zone over 63% of the time. He is also throwing more 1st pitch strike, which means he is ahead in the count more. Which is excellent, considering this year, opponents are OPSing under .400 against him when he is down in the count. Another interesting thing I see about Farnsworth, is that he is really good with 2 outs and 2 outs w/ RISP, both scenarios have OPS's under .400.

So I wasn't quite right, but hey, I was thrown off by his middle name. Lynn.

shrek
06-30-2010, 04:01 AM
It is so upsetting :(

I just want him to come back to big league whether cubs or not.