PDA

View Full Version : All NBA Soccer Team

Swashcuff
06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
In the spirit of the World Cup I think we should try to construct a football (soccer) team of NBA players.

So here we go.....

Forwards

Leandro Barbosa
Allen Iverson
Manu Ginobili

Midfielders

Steve Nash
Goran Dragic
Tony Parker

Defenders

LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Andres Nocioni
Nene

Goal Keeper

Anderson Varejao

arkanian215
06-28-2010, 10:18 PM
hahaha should be in the soccer forum but whatever

Mine:

CF: LeBron (target forward), CP3
Wide Mids: Barbosa, Parker
Central Mids: Nash #10, Rose (Defensive minded mid that will destroy any attack)
Half Backs: Davis, Rondo
Full Backs: Brooks, Conley
GK: John Wall/Rose(more durable body)

I don't have enough left footers on that team...

PhillyLuver
06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Olajuwon needs to coach

Ragun
06-28-2010, 10:55 PM
lebron and durant have to be forwards!

asandhu23
06-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Monta Ellis - Forward

SFGiants4life
06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Kobe Bryant has to be in there, he was a very skilled soccer player when he was in Italy

Giannis94
06-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Bogut-Goalie
Jennings-Forward
Redd-POS on the bench

MTone8788
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Ummm how about Dalembert?

Reyes6
06-28-2010, 11:08 PM
You should probably pick guys from Brazil (Nene) or Africa (Mutombo) where they have played soccer much of their childhood.

I think Bruce Bowen, Vlade Divac, Manu Ginobili, and AK-47 need to be on the team if we want to have any shot at winning.

td0tsfinest
06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Shaq has to be in net. :p

Just pick all the South Americans and European guys.

Bucsfan
06-28-2010, 11:16 PM
maybe im biased but dwill would be a good midfielder or attacker......but who know how many of the nba players even know how to play soccer honestly

tredigs
06-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Steve Nash made a mock one of these. I like his the best so far (these huge forwards or centers that some of you are picking would be embarrassed by the more agile/athletic guys on a soccer field).

Nash: My NBA soccer team would be: Ronny Turiaf in goal, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell, Luol Deng and Baron Davis in the back, myself (Nash), Jason Kidd, Manu Ginobili and Jose Calderon in midfield and Tony Parker and Andrei Kirilenko up front.

Nearly all foreign players who probably grew up playing the game, and all are fast/quick/agile enough to have the look of a real player. haha... I'm still thinking about a guy like Brook Lopez or Durant on a soccer pitch, that would be an ugly sight. Though if Lebron had some training he could be a beast in goal, but at this point he would probably get eaten up by solid 12 year olds.

Edit: I'd make space for Rodrigue Beaubois. He's from the French Caribbean island of Gaudeloupe where EVERY kid grows up playing soccer, so combined with his speed and athleticism I bet he's a baller.

jay87shot
06-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I think Rudy Fernandez is a good soccer player and Sergio Rodriguez sounds like he would know how to play, maybe JJ Barea and Rodrique Boubious. I can say with confidence that Lebron has never kicked a soccer ball so I wouldn't put him on a team, foreign guys are the way to go.

jimbobjarree
06-28-2010, 11:26 PM
marcus camby would be a great goalkeeper I think, or someone like Josh Smith/Birdman

defender4m
06-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Nash is the captain

chonbon
fwd: russell westbrook, kobe bryant, dwyane wade
mid: tony parker, jason kidd, steve nash
def: derrick rose, gerald wallace, lebron james, trevor ariza
gk: dwight howard

unbeatable... big fast mean defense, great passing midfield with a cm that plays great defense, 2 speed demons up front and a tall player with great/ phenomenal body control...

HuRRiCaNeS324
Forwards:
LF- Leandro Barbosa
CF- Dirk Nowitzki
RF- Kobe Bryant

Midfielders:
LM- Jose Calderon
CM- Steve Nash
RM- Rudy Fernandez

Defenders:
LB- Nicalos Batum
LCB- Manu Ginobili
RCB- Sasha Vujacic
RB- Hedo Turkoglu

GK- Anderson Verajao

Clutch6
06-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Real soccer players though, Dalembert, Thabo Sefolosha, Nash, who else actually played soccer and was good?

tredigs
06-28-2010, 11:36 PM
fwd: russell westbrook, kobe bryant, dwyane wade
mid: tony parker, jason kidd, steve nash
def: derrick rose, gerald wallace, lebron james, trevor ariza
gk: dwight howard

unbeatable... big fast mean defense, great passing midfield with a cm that plays great defense, 2 speed demons up front and a tall player with great/ phenomenal body control...

I bet the team under my post would beat yours ~10-0. Your entire defense+keep would probably trip over the ball and break their ankles in the first 20 minutes. Though if Rose grew up with the game he'd be a hog.

SeoulBeatz
06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Sammy Dalembert thought he was going to play professional soccer until his senior year in high school when he realized he was too ****ing tall.

hence the reason he has absolutely 0 basketball instincts....

gonna miss u sammy haha

_KB24_
06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Varejo, Fisher, and Gasol should make eveyrone's teams. The art of flopping is key in soccer :D

still1ballin
06-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Brad Miller

dolfan720
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Patrick Patterson said he used to play forward... he should be on there

Sixerlover
06-29-2010, 12:09 AM
I get upset when people say that the US could never be good at soccer. Imagine if all of the pure athletes in America grow up playing soccer and not baskeball / football? We'd be the Brazil of the world cup.

topdog
06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Eddy Curry as goalie...

arkanian215
06-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Real soccer players though, Dalembert, Thabo Sefolosha, Nash, who else actually played soccer and was good?

I remember something about Thabeet from last year's draft.

arkanian215
06-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Patrick Patterson said he used to play forward... he should be on there

Heh didn't know that. I know he likes Torres.

_KB24_
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I get upset when people say that the US could never be good at soccer. Imagine if all of the pure athletes in America grow up playing soccer and not baskeball / football? We'd be the Brazil of the world cup.

No we're much bigger and taller and physical than all these soccer playing countries. I think of it as this, we can compete with them in soccer but their is no way in hell they can even step onto the gridiron, ice rink, or hardwood court.

arkanian215
06-29-2010, 12:45 AM

We need the right coaches though. Right now, we don't have a good system of developing players. I mean, we tied a team from a country with a population of around 2 million... we should be producing more quality players. Guys like Freddy Adu and Eddie Johnson get wasted.

tredigs
06-29-2010, 12:58 AM
No we're much bigger and taller and physical than all these soccer playing countries. I think of it as this, we can compete with them in soccer but their is no way in hell they can even step onto the gridiron, ice rink, or hardwood court.

Much bigger and stronger? Eastern European + nordic countries? Some of the African nations? C'mon guy. I'd give us the athletic advantage over any other nation (partly due to all the top immigrants we pull in), but it's not that much of a difference.

It's xenophobic logic. The only other countries that predominantly play ice hockey are arguably the two best in the world at it (Russia, Canada), there are plenty of foreigners who kill it in the NBA (even tho' it is the 3rd sport at best in any foreign country), and very few other countries care about football, but they absolutely kill it in Rugby and Australian rules football (which are both arguably tougher games than American being that pads are at a minimum).

I really wish this country would give up football in favor of rugby. It would be way more fun to see them play against the best players from around the world who all play the sport, and you don't have to watch the athletes play in helmets (which is ****ing annoying).

And really, we can't compete with them in soccer. They grow up playing all day every day against the best athletes in their country. There have been some sickly athletic players to come out of the US, but when the talent we play against here is diluted so much with **** players/coaches, it puts them at a huge disadvantage against the best teams in the world once those guys finally get together (on the US teams).

Also, we've never won a world cup (or even been close), but we have been beat in our fair share of world championships in basketball/hockey over the past decade... so maybe they're not as far behind as we'd like to think.

D1JM
06-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Varejo, Fisher, and Gasol should make eveyrone's teams. The art of flopping is key in soccer :D

best ****en post ever lol lol lol lol hahahahahahahahahahaha

ldc62
06-29-2010, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't want anyone that tall to be on my soccer team. As great an athlete as some PFs and Cs are in the NBA, I don't think they have the endurance to play effectively due to their size.

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2010, 01:12 AM

I'm glad a Lakers fan said that.:D

My fav flop was in the finals when 2 crybaby floppers collide at halfcourt in Gasol and Pierce. It was funny. I tried to find a vid on youtube of it, but no such thing yet.

arkanian215
06-29-2010, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't want anyone that tall to be on my soccer team. As great an athlete as some PFs and Cs are in the NBA, I don't think they have the endurance to play effectively due to their size.

Yeah most of the folks are too tall and bulky to keep up the energy. Most NBA players don't have prototypical soccer player bodies and you should expect that. Basketball involves a lot more of the upper body than soccer when soccer is mostly lower body.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Nash is a great soccer player.

arkanian215
06-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Nash is a great soccer player.

hahaha I remember they were trying to get Bosh and D12 to play some. Fail. I guess it's a lot harder when you're trying to control with your feet that are so far from your head.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Im pretty sure Peja can play some soccer...he always used to kick the ball and do tricks and stuff during breaks.

Phat Pat 94
06-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Steve Nash made a mock one of these. I like his the best so far (these huge forwards or centers that some of you are picking would be embarrassed by the more agile/athletic guys on a soccer field).

Nash: My NBA soccer team would be: Ronny Turiaf in goal, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell, Luol Deng and Baron Davis in the back, myself (Nash), Jason Kidd, Manu Ginobili and Jose Calderon in midfield and Tony Parker and Andrei Kirilenko up front.

Nearly all foreign players who probably grew up playing the game, and all are fast/quick/agile enough to have the look of a real player. haha... I'm still thinking about a guy like Brook Lopez or Durant on a soccer pitch, that would be an ugly sight. Though if Lebron had some training he could be a beast in goal, but at this point he would probably get eaten up by solid 12 year olds.

Edit: I'd make space for Rodrigue Beaubois. He's from the French Caribbean island of Gaudeloupe where EVERY kid grows up playing soccer, so combined with his speed and athleticism I bet he's a baller.nash's team> any PSDers. that team looks awesome

_KB24_
06-29-2010, 02:28 AM
Much bigger and stronger? Eastern European + nordic countries? Some of the African nations? C'mon guy. I'd give us the athletic advantage over any other nation (partly due to all the top immigrants we pull in), but it's not that much of a difference.

It's xenophobic logic. The only other countries that predominantly play ice hockey are arguably the two best in the world at it (Russia, Canada), there are plenty of foreigners who kill it in the NBA (even tho' it is the 3rd sport at best in any foreign country), and very few other countries care about football, but they absolutely kill it in Rugby and Australian rules football (which are both arguably tougher games than American being that pads are at a minimum).

I really wish this country would give up football in favor of rugby. It would be way more fun to see them play against the best players from around the world who all play the sport, and you don't have to watch the athletes play in helmets (which is ****ing annoying).

And really, we can't compete with them in soccer. They grow up playing all day every day against the best athletes in their country. There have been some sickly athletic players to come out of the US, but when the talent we play against here is diluted so much with **** players/coaches, it puts them at a huge disadvantage against the best teams in the world once those guys finally get together (on the US teams).

Also, we've never won a world cup (or even been close), but we have been beat in our fair share of world championships in basketball/hockey over the past decade... so maybe they're not as far behind as we'd like to think.

Not going to argue because this is a good response. Good ****. And totally agree with rugby, been playing club for a good 5 years now. :D