PDA

View Full Version : Who is your early front runner for ROY?

PurpleJesus
06-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Interesting class this year. The frontrunners are mostly older than usual rookies with the exception of John Wall. Last years first pick (Blake) is still eligible because he has not played a game yet.

I vote Blake because he has gotten the biggest sniff of the NBA out of all the others. With the team he is on, I also don't think 20/10 is out of question.

I would go

Blake
Wall
Turner
Wes Johnson

Bishnoff
06-28-2010, 08:52 PM
John Wall. Less likely to get a season ending injury and will probably start for the Wizards from day 1. He also has the best opportunity to be the #1 option from day 1.

j-bay
06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Wall

PurpleJesus
06-28-2010, 08:54 PM
John Wall. Less likely to get a season ending injury and will probably start for the Wizards from day 1.

good point, Blake is coming off a major injury...none of these other guys are.

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Call me crazy but right now, I think it'll be Dominique Jones.

j-bay
06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
good point, Blake is coming off a major injury...none of these other guys are.

it alaways seems to be the solow guys like griffin and greg o, that get season ending injuries

PurpleJesus
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
who are you guys putting down for "other" I see this as a clear 4 man race. Favors may become better than the others, but I dont see him putting up big numbers his rookie season. Cousins maybe should have been included in the vote

SA5195
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Wall.

I have a feeling Griffen will not be healthy for the whole season.

DeyAce
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Wall
Blake
Johnson

j-bay
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
:crazy::puke:

j-bay
06-28-2010, 08:58 PM
who are you guys putting down for "other" I see this as a clear 4 man race. Favors may become better than the others, but I dont see him putting up big numbers his rookie season. Cousins maybe should have been included in the vote

yeah again slow guys=injuries

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
John Wall. Less likely to get a season ending injury and will probably start for the Wizards from day 1. He also has the best opportunity to be the #1 option from day 1.

Hes too reckless with the ball, will have to adjust to the speed(s) of the NBA game, and share shots with Arenas in the backcourt. There have been few rookie PG's to win ROY.

Bishnoff
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM

I'd say Cousins but I don't know whether he'll start. Turner is going to have to play second fiddle to Iggy but he probably has the 2nd best chance IMO. Blake is such as unknown quantity now.

j-bay
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Hes too reckless with the ball, will have to adjust to the speed(s) of the NBA game, and share shots with Arenas in the backcourt. There have been few rookie PG's to win ROY.

yeah but arenas has accepted his new role and plus griffin has had his share of problem and the last 2 rookie of the years were coached by which coach in college

Bishnoff
06-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Wall prefers it up-tempo. Who knows if Arenas will even be with the Wizards come opening night. But yes, Wall does have to learn to limit his TO.

j-bay
06-28-2010, 09:05 PM
and plus the wall and arenas thing reminds me of hinrich and rose

PurpleJesus
06-28-2010, 09:05 PM
playing time alone, I think the four choices posted in the poll will have the most.

Griffen will start and get 30 +
Wall will start and get 30 + (although good point about sharing Backcourt with Gilbert
Turner will start and get 30 +, and I think he has a chance to overtake Iggy as #1 option
Wes will start, and have every opportunity to be Mn's #1 option...especially if they trade Jefferson

Swashcuff
06-28-2010, 09:16 PM

you are crazy

Lokthug101
06-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I hoping it's Greg Monroe he's so versatile orr evan turner Hejaz a serious range and a real offensive game

shyfly24
06-28-2010, 09:25 PM
monroe?

*Silver&Black*
06-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Cousins. 2 straight for the Kings. 3 straight for Coach Cal, making UK the recruiting spot even more (like it should).

td0tsfinest
06-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Blake Griffin. He's going to come out hungry

j-bay
06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Cousins. 2 straight for the Kings. 3 straight for Coach Cal, making UK the recruiting spot even more (like it should).

yeah but don't you know its big guys like greg o, or griffin who get hurt and the rookie of the years were coach cals highest drafted so it should be wall

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 10:19 PM
yeah but arenas has accepted his new role and plus griffin has had his share of problem and the last 2 rookie of the years were coached by which coach in college

The last 2 rookie of the years played at Memphis if you want to find another trend, does that mean Elliot Williams has a chance to win ROY.:confused:

j-bay
06-28-2010, 10:22 PM
The last 2 rookie of the years played at Memphis if you want to find another trend, does that mean Elliot Williams has a chance to win ROY.:confused:

yeah but he was coached by coach cal in the same system

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 10:22 PM
and plus the wall and arenas thing reminds me of hinrich and rose

That is nothing like Rose & Hinrich. Are you sure you have seen them play? Are you talking about Rose & Gordon?

Arenas is going to take a lot of shots from Wall if they do play together next season. Wall will play PG, but moving Gilbert from PG to SG will mean plenty of possessions for Gilbert to take shots. Gilbert is still the #1 option in Washington no matter what Wall does.

j-bay
06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
That is nothing like Rose & Hinrich. Are you sure you have seen them play? Are you talking about Rose & Gordon?

Arenas is going to take a lot of shots from Wall if they do play together next season. Wall will play PG, but moving Gilbert from PG to SG will mean plenty of possessions for Gilbert to take shots. Gilbert is still the #1 option in Washington no matter what Wall does.

yeah but them having to share the backcourt and gilberts alittle rusty

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
yeah but he was coached by coach cal in the same system

The Drible Drive Motion.

Before Rose there was Darius Washington Jr. The DDM exploits 1 on 1 for the PG.

There are 2 different trends though. Thats what I was pointing out. You can say Wall has a chance due to the last 2 ROY's coached by Cal, and you can also say Williams as a chance due to the last 2 ROY's playing at Memphis for 1 year.

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 10:25 PM
yeah but them having to share the backcourt and gilberts alittle rusty

We'll see.

I hope they can make it work, if not Wall's first few years wont be as impressive as it should be.

fadedmario
06-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Greg Monroe will be the Pistons starting center. He should have some big numbers.

j-bay
06-28-2010, 10:27 PM
We'll see.

I hope they can make it work, if not Wall's first few years wont be as impressive as it should be.

don't forget about flip he is an off coach and also gilbert will get better ball time then he did with antawn and caron which also means more points for wall it will be the gilbert and wall show

unleashthebeast
06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
demarcus friggin cousins

Swashcuff
06-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Evan Turner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gators123
06-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I think Monroe's got a legit chance.

SFGiants4life
06-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Cousins .........

but honestly i say Wall

what54!?
06-28-2010, 11:15 PM
I got even turner. philly will make him a legit option before the season is over

abe_froman
06-28-2010, 11:20 PM
turner

GrandDaddyPurp
06-28-2010, 11:22 PM

This.

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 11:28 PM
There is going to be a lot of guys needing touches in Philly.

Turner needs to step in immediately and tell them they are all scrubs and Philly is his team now.

JMDTM
06-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Monroe? not a lot of guys to hold him back in the pistons front court.. also suppose to be NBA ready and fits their half-court style of play.

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
This.

Hes gotta stay dedicated. He has the talent, but its going to be all about his discipline.

If he gets out of shape he wont have the impact he should have. That can bring along problems too for rookie C's adjusting to the tempo of the NBA game. He cant take plays off anymore.

chonbon
06-28-2010, 11:34 PM
L
u
k
e
b
a
b
b
i
t
!
!
!

R_O_W_E
06-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Monroe? not a lot of guys to hold him back in the pistons front court.. also suppose to be NBA ready and fits their half-court style of play.

Where does he play?

Will it be:

PF- Villanueva
C- Monroe

or

PF- Monroe
C- Wallace

PurpleJesus
06-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I sense a lot of homerism in this thread...

topdog
06-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Unless winning suddenly means anything, Wall is the runaway favorite - it's his team from day one.

Blake has got a lot of other good players/scorers next to him. Wes Johnson is another guy who should put on a pretty strong performance... I kinda want to lean his way but it might be a bit of bias.

Catfish1314
06-28-2010, 11:58 PM
If Arenas stays with the Wizards, I think it will be Griffin. But if by some miracle, they get rid of him (probably have to buy him out), Wall is my frontrunner.

Gators123
06-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Where does he play?

Will it be:

PF- Villanueva
C- Monroe

or

PF- Monroe
C- Wallace

If Wallace retires Monroe will probably play Center, If Wallace returns for another season chances are Monroe would play PF.

gbpackers12
06-28-2010, 11:59 PM
I like Evan Turner to win ROY. I think Wall is more than likely going to be in the running, along with Blake Griffen. I also think Monroe has a legit chance because of the minutes he will more than likely recieve in our lineup.

FNM BOY
06-29-2010, 12:07 AM
I just love how my boy Turner is getting little love on this thread...hahaha but its all good...Turner has been against all odds his entire life...you non-believerss will see what a real soldier and warrior is all about!! Trust that!! Keep sleeping!!

topdog
06-29-2010, 12:12 AM
I just love how my boy Turner is getting little love on this thread...hahaha but its all good...Turner has been against all odds his entire life...you non-believerss will see what a real soldier and warrior is all about!! Trust that!! Keep sleeping!!

Well, I'm sure if there were more 76ers viewing the thread right now there would be more Turner love since Sacto fans are saying Cousins, Detroit fans go with Monroe, ect. ect.

Personally, I will go ahead and "sleep." I don't think Turner is that great and the court is going to shrink with Iguoadala around - neither can shoot that well.

ZebraCity916
06-29-2010, 12:30 AM
If Wall starts, and I really think he will, I think it will be him. I don't really see Arenas playing at all next season. For the Wizards at least.

Of course I'm gonna root for Cousins but with Sammy D in the picture I see Cousins coming off the bench. At least until the trade deadline when we have a chance to move Dalembert seeing he'll be a FA next summer.

Team*Chicago
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
I say John Wall because he's just like Derrick Rose and he'll be the 4th best PG in the NBA behind Chris Pual, Deron Williams and Derrick Rose.

ZebraCity916
06-29-2010, 12:46 AM
I say John Wall because he's just like Derrick Rose and he'll be the 4th best PG in the NBA behind Chris Pual, Deron Williams and Derrick Rose.

Seriously??

PrettyBoyJ
06-29-2010, 12:59 AM
I say Turner.. he's got an opportunity to contribute early and seems the most NBA ready so far.. IMO he's the best in the draft, I think they gonna give him more of the ball handling for the team, so I look for him to come out and put up numbers

dre1990
06-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Greg Monroe

arkanian215
06-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Boogie. He will be the second option on the Kings so plenty of shots for him. He rebounds well and has as good of a skillset as any big man in this draft.

IversonIsKrazy
06-29-2010, 02:08 AM
John Wall. He'll be #1 option to start with, and plays just like Rose. Griffin won't be #1 with Baron, Gordon, Kaman on the floor at the same. And No to Wes

IversonIsKrazy
06-29-2010, 02:09 AM
O yea, Turner might, but theres so many rotation players on that team and so dis-organized

IversonIsKrazy
06-29-2010, 02:16 AM
O yea Monroe can be a real sleeper as well, I mean its Detroit, hes going to get a lot of touches in the post

MacFitz92
06-29-2010, 02:17 AM

I agree ;)

BayHuStLE
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I have to say turner, unless cousins comes out of nowhere

TheKing23
06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
As mentioned before, Cousins will be the 2nd option on offense in Sacramento and he has the best offensive skillset of any big man in the draft.

He'll get a ton of touches and has the talent to convert those touches into points.

I see him spending a lot of time in the front court with Landry, who isn't renowned for rebounding, and with Cousins being a terrific rebounder I can see that having a positive affect on his numbers.

I'm fully supporting "Boogie" for ROY.

SaimoNETS
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
How is Favors not even mentioned?

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2010, 04:31 PM

I like Favors but seeing that Cousins was IMO the best college player last year (the best big man) on a loaded UK team, and still stuck out, he is my fav. Just think of what his numbers would of been if Cousins played more mins and wasn't sharing the ball with Wall, Bledsoe and Patterson. He was already 15.1/9.8 in 23 mins a game on that team. So what he has shown (even though it's college) is better than Favors 12/8 per 27 mins.

Also, it depends on what the Nets do in free agency. They could sign a PF and then Favors become a rookie bench guy.

SaimoNETS
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I like Favors but seeing that Cousins was IMO the best college player last year (the best big man) on a loaded UK team, and still stuck out, he is my fav. Just think of what his numbers would of been if Cousins played more mins and wasn't sharing the ball with Wall, Bledsoe and Patterson. He was already 15.1/9.8 in 23 mins a game on that team. So what he has shown (even though it's college) is better than Favors 12/8 per 27 mins.

Also, it depends on what the Nets do in free agency. They could sign a PF and then Favors become a rookie bench guy.

True, but Favors was in an offense where the plays ran through the guards therefore he didn't get many touches. His numbers would've been better, also. But I def. agree with you. Cousins is gonna be a beast in the NBA.

FrenchSunsFan
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
John Wall or Evan Turner if the 76ers trade Iguodala .

The Panch
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Really, Rose #3, thats homerism for you, Rose isn't even top 5. Its Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, and Tony Parker ahead of him, J Kidd was ahead of him before the season, but I'd say Rose passed him by the end of the year. Rose hasn't reached elite yet, he may some day, but not today.

But as far as ROY, Im going with Monroe or Favors.

DerekRE_3
06-29-2010, 06:21 PM
As mentioned before, Cousins will be the 2nd option on offense in Sacramento and he has the best offensive skillset of any big man in the draft.

He'll get a ton of touches and has the talent to convert those touches into points.

I see him spending a lot of time in the front court with Landry, who isn't renowned for rebounding, and with Cousins being a terrific rebounder I can see that having a positive affect on his numbers.

I'm fully supporting "Boogie" for ROY.

It all depends on how quickly he can supplant Dalembert as the starter. Offensively I don't think there's any question who is better BUT...the Kings need interior defense more than anything so Dalembert could hold onto the starting job. It all depends on how well Dalembert does and how well Cousins plays on defense as a rookie. Cousins also will have to stay out of foul trouble so he can stay on the floor, something he did struggle with in college and it was one of the reasons why he only played 23 MPG. As of now I wouldn't bet on Cousins winning ROY, but I do think he will have one of the highest PER's of the rookies.

srbaseball2003
06-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Wes is going to be the #1 stunner :) In all seriousness I feel that clearly Wall will have the media focused in on him being in a big market like DC, I think he will break under the pressure and become a slighly above average pg, turner will struggle to co-exist with iggy, blake will go down with a knee injury, and Wes will put up 23pts 7reb 4a 1.5st 1block per game and make the wolves relavant once again!!!! muahahahaahhaa

topdog
06-29-2010, 06:36 PM

He's widely regarded as a project. Ask people who they think will be the best in a few years and you've got to put Favors on there, but otherwise he's going to start out mainly as a rebounder and defender letting Brook get the post touches and NJ's hoping a big FA signing will get theirs too.

avrpatsfan
06-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Cough Cough Derrick Rose. Wall's best NBA comparison right now is Derrick Rose.

avrpatsfan
06-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Either Griffin or Turner. Wall still needs to develop more.

nolin
06-29-2010, 06:55 PM

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:: crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::c razy::crazy:

Kyle916
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
It's a joke to not have Cousins on this poll.

Kakaroach
06-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Added DeMarcus Cousins to the poll because I also fell he has a great chance at ROY.

GrandDaddyPurp
06-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Added DeMarcus Cousins to the poll because I also fell he has a great chance at ROY.

There's no point, most people like me already voted. I picked "Other" because Cousins wasn't on the list now i can't take it back !

Kakaroach
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
There's no point, most people like me already voted. I picked "Other" because Cousins wasn't on the list now i can't take it back ! I'm sorry, I haven't been on since yesterday morning. :hide:

But my vote goes for Cousins if he will be the starter over Dalembert, which he should be.

jtrinaldi
06-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Larry sanders

IversonIsKrazy
06-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Cousins will be a bust, I'm Calling it.

Hawkeye15
06-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Wes

JayW_1023
06-30-2010, 04:55 AM
I still like Griffin.